• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•05-07•16 - Harley & squad Puddin on the ritz, Nine Lives DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

This is hurting your brand.
88hAVrb.gif

gamz

Gitesh Pandya ‏@GiteshPandya 10m10 minutes ago
Hefty $13.1M MON for #SuicideSquad going to about $175M in 1st full week, cracking $200M on SAT. Possible $225M+ after 2nd wknd.

kswiston

From now on when people ask why Bobby left I'll just point them to this thread

Bobby once derailed one of these threads so badly that it had to be locked. He lost his right to complain :p

Back on topic, Bourne continues to hold worse than Star Trek on Monday. Even The Bourne Legacy will end up with better legs. Bad Moms is having very good drops. I wonder if it will squeak past the $100M mark.

kswiston

Between BvS and Man of Steel (especially lumping in the Thursday gross) sounds like a reasonable guess at Suicide Squad legs. Can't be much worse than BvS.

$284m is pretty good. I think a lot of people including WB were expecting it to break $300m domestically though.

What's it looking like worldwide? Is it doing well overseas?

kswiston

Deadline is guessing a $51-54M second weekend for Suicide squad (low 60s drop).

Sausage Fest is tracking in the high teens to low 20s, but Deadline thinks that tracking could be too low (as has been the case with other well received adult comedies). Sausage Fest apparently cost $19M, so it shouldn't have much trouble recouping costs.

Pete's Dragon is tracking in the mid 20M range. It's budget was quoted at $60M. Perhaps Disney should have gone with that same budget for its Alice Sequel. They could have probably ditched Depp as a cost saving measure without much impact on the film's (shitty) performance.

3N16MA

Banned
$284m is pretty good. I think a lot of people including WB were expecting it to break $300m domestically though.

What's it looking like worldwide? Is it doing well overseas?

I don't think WB had 300M+ as a lock. Probably the best case scenario leading up to the OW.

If you go a few months back I bet most thought it wouldn't clear 300M. Early estimates pegged the OW closer to GoTG or slightly higher.

If Wonder Woman tanks and JL does around BvS/SS money the lesson DC will learn is to slap Batman and/or the Joker into every film even if its just 1 scene but edit the trailer to make em look like a major part.

kswiston

Wonder Woman will be the lowest grossing film in the DCEU by the end of 2017. Even if it is better, I don't see the film having nearly the same appeal as Suicide Squad or the Batman and Friends films.

Ross61

Wonder Woman will be the lowest grossing film in the DCEU by the end of 2017. Even if it is better, I don't see the film having nearly the same appeal as Suicide Squad or the Batman and Friends films.
Eh, I can see tons of women getting behind it. That's an untapped resource for Superhero movies.

guek

Banned
Eh, I can see tons of women getting behind it. That's an untapped resource for Superhero movies.

The best they could likely hope for is Ant-Man level BO performance - $180M DOM, $340M Foreign

But that's gonna be a much harder sell overseas. Even if WW cracks $200M DOM, I can't see it doing proportionally as well abroad.

kswiston

A lot of comic films already get a 40% or higher female audience, so it's not that untapped. I don't think a female lead is going to radically change the demographic who enjoys superhero films.

Look at what happened to Mad Max last year. Even Ghostbusters captured a weaker than expected female audience.

Ross61

The best they could likely hope for is Ant-Man level BO performance - $180M DOM, $340M Foreign

But that's gonna be a much harder sell overseas. Even if WW cracks $200M DOM, I can't see it doing proportionally as well abroad.
I think we're severely underestimating a well received Wonder Woman film. A feminist cultural icon having her first movie in a climate that's especially kind to Marvel/DC films is surely going to perform great if it's a critical hit.

Like, what are we basing these low expectations on? Like I'm not expecting it to do Justice League numbers if it's well received, but a well received Wonder Woman should do way better than Ant Man imo.

What hurts WW is placing it among other huge blockbusters. Had it an emptier spot, I agree the appeal is limited next to the two DC films this year. I'd go as far to say Lego Batman will take more.

Schlorgan

What hurts WW is placing it among other huge blockbusters. Had it an emptier spot, I agree the appeal is limited next to the two DC films this year. I'd go as far to say Lego Batman will take more.
I think Lego Batman is almost guaranteed to get better reviews than any DC film in the previous 5 years.

kswiston

2017 (and every other year after) is too packed with blockbusters and wannabe blockbusters.

I would say move it to BvS' slot, but even March is packed next year:

• The Shack (LG/S) - 3/3
• Untitled Wolverine (Fox) - 3/3
• Wilson (Fox) - 3/3
• Kong: Skull Island (WB) - 3/10
• Baby Driver (Sony) - 3/17
• Beauty and the Beast (2017) (BV) - 3/17
• Untitled Blumhouse Tilt Horror (HTR) - 3/17
• King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (WB) - 3/24
• Life (2017) (Sony) - 3/24
• Power Rangers (2017) (LGF) - 3/24
• The Boss Baby (Fox) - 3/31
• Ghost in the Shell (2017) (Par.) - 3/31
• The Zookeeper's Wife (Focus) - 3/31

Studios are going to have to break the September taboo sooner or later.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
2017 (and every other year after) is too packed with blockbusters and wannabe blockbusters.

I would say move it to BvS' slot, but even March is packed next year:

• The Shack (LG/S) - 3/3
• Untitled Wolverine (Fox) - 3/3
• Wilson (Fox) - 3/3
• Kong: Skull Island (WB) - 3/10
• Beauty and the Beast (2017) (BV) - 3/17
• Untitled Blumhouse Tilt Horror (HTR) - 3/17
• King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (WB) - 3/24
• Life (2017) (Sony) - 3/24
• Power Rangers (2017) (LGF) - 3/24
• The Boss Baby (Fox) - 3/31
• Ghost in the Shell (2017) (Par.) - 3/31
• The Zookeeper's Wife (Focus) - 3/31

God that's a busy schedule

Will limit to Beauty and the Beast and Power Rangers, and maybe Ghost in the Shell depending of reviews.

Honestly forgot Wolverine 3 is happening. Wanted to ask when they'll shoot it if it's out in March. Turns out they've been for two months now.

Honestly forgot Wolverine 3 is happening. Wanted to ask when they'll shoot it if it's out in March. Turns out they've been for two months now.

I know little about the movie nor am I particularly hyped for it, but I'm sure it will be a decent romp in theaters. Plus it's Jackman's farewell to the character. I've loved his tenure with the claws. Should be great seeing what I assume will be the last ever time we get Patrick Stewart Xavier and Jackman Wolverine again.

part of me wishes they just made it a future xmen movie. I loved the ending of DOFP a lot.

I know little about the movie nor am I particularly hyped for it, but I'm sure it will be a decent romp in theaters. Plus it's Jackman's farewell to the character. I've loved his tenure with the claws. Should be great seeing what I assume will be the last ever time we get Patrick Stewart Xavier and Jackman Wolverine again.

part of me wishes they just made it a future xmen movie. I loved the ending of DOFP a lot.

I'm intrigued by the R-rating and story it's supposedly taking inspiration from. Not so much for the violence, but if they can keep it a low key story and avoid whatever the hell the ending of The Wolverine went for, I'm into it. In my head I'm imagining Children of Men with Wolverine.

Over/Under 100m ww?

super-high chance it will be the best action/comedy movie of the year honestly but going up against a behemoth like Beauty and the Beast sadly makes me think under 100.

cast of Baby Driver is la flame. Kevin Spacey, Jon Bernthal, Jon Hamm and freakin Jamie Foxx with his script is set for comedy gold.

I'm intrigued by the R-rating and story it's supposedly taking inspiration from. Not so much for the violence, but if they can keep it a low key story and avoid whatever the hell the ending of The Wolverine went for, I'm into it. In my head I'm imagining Children of Men with Wolverine.

oh right. I forgot about the r-rating and old man logan. should be cool. I think X-23 might be introduced as well??

BLACKLAC

I was like, wtf is Baby Driver. Whoa, a new Edgar Wright film! Awesome!

definitely under

super-high chance it will be the best action/comedy movie of the year honestly but going up against a behemoth like Beauty and the Beast sadly makes me think under 100.

Maybe the dust up with Marvel gave his name enough cred to get it over the hump. Wright fans need to stop torrenting his shit.

guek

Banned

What's the point of Old Man Logan though without Venom-Rex or hillbilly hulks

Maybe the dust up with Marvel gave his name enough cred to get it over the hump. Wright fans need to stop torrenting his shit.

If "From the writer of ANT-MAN!" shows up in the trailer, I'm gonna laugh so hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom