• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Book of Henry, the latest film from Colin Trevorrow (Ep. 9), is reviewing poorly.

The Book of Henry is a fucking weird movie.

The problems all lay within the screenplay though, and its worth noting that Colin had nothing to do with it - it's existed for some 20 odd years. It would have been SO MUCH BETTER if the core conflict wasn't so fucking real, morbid, and heavy - because the tone of the rest of the movie clashes with it, and it just feels off and cheap at times.

Personally though, right as the film began to lose me, it cleaned up its act and acknowledged this oddness head on. I enjoyed it, but I do wish some core ideas in the film were different.

As for his directing effort, I would say this movie is Colin Trevorrow's best - he gets some fantastic performances out of his cast, and provides a sense of authenticity and likability that is hard earned in this movie.

My biggest concern on Episode IX is John Schwartzman.

Shaanyboi

Banned
daaaaaaaaaaamn

If this blows up enough I'm sure they'll take him off the film. Disney does not want a shitty Marvel or Star Wars movie getting crapped on via RT.

But Jurassic World did still make $1.6 bil...

Jurassic World made a billion because of the brand. We'll be 4 Disney Star Wars movies in by the time Ep. 9 comes out. Even if it reviews terribly, its saving grace will be that people are invested in that cast of characters and want to see closure.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wasn't his dumbass talking about how he wanted to film in space for SW? Tells you enough about the guy.

This is a bit disingenuous. He wasn't looking to send the cast to space and film it there.

Hollywood Reporter said:
Trevorrow also said he has also asked to shoot the movie "on location" — that is, in outer space. "I asked the question, 'Is it possible for us to shoot IMAX film plates in actual space for Star Wars, and I haven't gotten an answer yet, but they've shot IMAX in space!"

Also, it's funny that you call him a "dumbass" for that...

"Funny enough, we had that conversation with Interstellar," said Nolan with understanding. "There's incredible footage from space now."

The internet's God, Christopher Nolan, tried to do the same thing.

Shooting actual footage in space to use in a film that takes place in space is actually something most people would find interesting if not spoken by Trevorrow, which is why I think the hate for him is quite hyperbolic.

But again, these reviews are definitely troubling.

The problems all lay within the screenplay though

As for his directing effort, I would say this movie is Colin Trevorrow's best - he gets some fantastic performances out of his cast, and provides a sense of authenticity and likability that is hard earned in this movie.

Stop being so reasonable. This is clearly as bad as The Room. Star Wars is doomed, if not worse.

Not

Banned
Spectacularly awful Star Wars would be interesting.

Then I've got great news!

maxresdefault.jpg

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
This is a bit disingenuous. He wasn't looking to send the cast to space and film it there.

Also, it's funny that you call him a "dumbass" for that...

The internet's God, Christopher Nolan, tried to do the same thing.

Shooting actual footage in space to use in a film that takes place in space is actually something most people would find interesting if not spoken by Trevorrow, which is why I think the hate for him is quite hyperbolic.

But again, these reviews are definitely troubling.
Just because Nolan entertained the idea doesn't mean it would work. Also doesn't mean Trevorrow isn't a dumbass for wanting to commit such a radical change to a franchise thats 40 years old.

And I don't care about Nolan lol

Comparing this film to The Room is absurd.

It's more of 'what happens if you marry a Lifetime movie with a solid indie comedy/drama, and give it the structure of a generic thriller'.

Colin gets some fucking great performances out of his actors - don't expect the in your face cheap absurdity that The Room implies. I'm not saying this movie would be reviewed any more fondly, but I do think that reactionary of a comparison exists only because STAR WARS.

kevin1025

Banned
There's rumors that Episode IX may start filming next month. These reviews and impressions should boost morale going into the next big saga film!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Well, I didnt like the new Jurassic Park so this is not surprising

Nothing you couldn't tell from Jurassic World. Dude is a void of talent.

seriously. him and his wack writing partner need to go away.

smh at Kathleen Kennedy and her husband for being so enamored with the guy.

i'm not with jumping on him for one poorly reviewed movie though, that's not fair...but his whole filmography sucks.

kevin1025

Banned
Maybe Lucasfilm will pull a "creative differences" move if they aren't feeling a few of the drafts being handed in. Push it out of May 2019 and move it to December 2019, find someone good or bring back Abrams, and they will be good to go again. There's still time!

Or maybe this guy can make a fantastic film. I liked Jurassic World okay for all of its insane cheesiness, and really liked Safety Not Guaranteed. But I don't have massive faith like I do for Rian Johnson.

Not like this Naomi Watts.
she's an actress, in Hollywood, in her 40's. She can't afford to be choosy anymore.

I mean, hell Shut In was utter shite, but since it was so low profile not too people noticed how terribly she was wasting her time and talent in it.

Ezalc

Fuck it, get the guy that made La La Land and make IX a jazz journey through space and the force. The cantina band are the whills and they watch the galaxy from seedy bars while playing catchy tunes.

Vectorman

Banned
Even though Duncan Jones did a meh movie with Warcraft, I know he can at least do sci-fi decently. Source Code and Moon showed that he can do character driven action fims. Don't know why they didn't go with him in the first place.

UberTag

Directors need to have vision. Colin lacks vision and brings nothing compelling to the table.
Props to him for being able to politic his way into two major Hollywood franchises after leeching off a smart Derek Connolly script for a quirky indie film but he's nothing more than a flash in the pan.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Rian Johnson may not be getting interfered with at all because he's probably making a great movie.

The story would probably be a lot different if he was making a terrible one.

There's a difference between saying that Episode 9 WILL be done by committee because he will do a job show if not and saying that Star Wars so far has been done by committee. Both TFA and Rogue One were very much those director's movies, they didn't hire them to just direct the movie themselves, and Rian has spoken about all the freedom he has while writing and directing The Last Jedi.

Twitter is too over the top from time to time. The Book of Henry is more than those few people are able to see.
I never doubted Colin. And he never disappointed me.

The Book of Henry combines art with a vision.

See it for yourself in the cinema.

No offense, but can you be more pretentious?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I will never understand how this guy got the writing AND directing keys to two mega franchises. I just don't get it.

The Book of Henry is a fucking weird movie.

The problems all lay within the screenplay though, and its worth noting that Colin had nothing to do with it - it's existed for some 20 odd years. It would have been SO MUCH BETTER if the core conflict wasn't so fucking real, morbid, and heavy - because the tone of the rest of the movie clashes with it, and it just feels off and cheap at times.

Personally though, right as the film began to lose me, it cleaned up its act and acknowledged this oddness head on. I enjoyed it, but I do wish some core ideas in the film were different.

My biggest concern on Episode IX is John Schwartzman.

I haven't seen the film, but if the core of the story clashes with the rest of how the film has been constructed, that sounds like pretty shitty direction to me. Jurassic World also had a very limp hold on it's tone, and at times just felt poorly considered.

I haven't seen the film, but if the core of the story clashes with the rest of how the film has been constructed, that sounds like pretty shitty direction to me. Jurassic World also had a very limp hold on it's tone, and at times just felt poorly considered.

Kid suddenly cries about his parents' divorce.

Never gets mentioned again.

MutFox

Banned
I said as soon as he was announced to direct ep9, that it would be the worst of the new trilogy.
I stand by my claim.

Also said ep8 would be by far the best.

Machina

Banned
If the brand was so powerful on it's own, why did both sequels (of one which directed by Spielberg) come in with diminishing box office returns and was then put on ice for a decade?

That's precisely why it made so much money. People were thirsty as fuck

If Guy Ritchie is still directing Aladdin after the critical and financial failure of King Arthur this guy isn't gonna go anywhere.

These are the perks of being a white dude in Hollywood.

If Guy Ritchie is still directing Aladdin after the critical and financial failure of King Arthur this guy isn't gonna go anywhere.

These are the perks of being a white dude in Hollywood.

The 2 Sherlock Holmes movies were quite good though, and made a lot of money.

I said as soon as he was announced to direct ep9, that it would be the worst of the new trilogy.
I stand by my claim.

Also said ep8 would be by far the best.

I mean, that wasn't a very bold claim. JJ is a solid director and Rian Johnson has proven to be a gem of a talent. I'm still impressed that he was picked to write and direct Episode VIII.

I haven't seen Book of Henry and have no interest, but regardless, like others have said I really don't want Colin directing IX.

Edit: Not to mention that I'm already down(like we all are) about Episode IX because of the lack of Carrie Fisher. I still can't believe they didn't have Luke, Leia and Han in at least one scene together.

iFirez

I actually like this guys first film - Safety Not Guaranteed. It's fun and the characters are actually well written and likeable, but he only directed this film.

Jurassic World wasn't the worst film ever, it was probably passable at best. I mean I enjoyed my time watching it in the cinema but it didn't capture anything from previous films in the franchise at all, in terms of feeling. Chris Pratt was the best thing about this film and its probably one of his worst recently, I think I liked him in Passangers more.

Book of Henry seems to be one of those films with a good (if slightly odd) trailer but what seems to be an awful final cut -- this seems to be a regular issue with films these days.

Top Bottom