• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boon to the PS3? Warner Bros goes Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loudninja said:
2175433833_27ee0ba733.jpg

Is that part of a trailer or is MGS4 actually there?

tanod

when is my burrito
neojubei said:
There are still people that use laserdisc and umds....and minidisc.

On another interesting note: I learned something new this week. Sony's betamax is used almost exclusively by TV studios and such for all their videotaping needs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
KTallguy said:
How does this work? This sounds awesome!
I like the sound of it too. I'd imagine (and this could be wrong) that you'll need a PS3 to pull it off. Perhaps if you insert a BD movie with this feature included into the PS3, it will recognize this and allow you to download the PSP version to your PSP.

I've noticed recently that some BD movies actually show up with a special icon on PS3 when highlighted in the XMB (this is the case for both Paprika and Tekkonkinkreet). I'm uncertain if this icon was intended to be viewed on other players, but perhaps it suggests that the PS3 can work with the disc in ways outside of the movie?

Raistlin

George Claw M.D. said:
First off, :lol at the layman's terms.

Also, that's an interesting predicted time frame for DD to become the dominant distribution method. Could PS4 or Xbox1080 really become a standalone Steambox?

No.

What everyone suggesting DD taking over seems to forget are two groups of people:

1) Those that currently purchase games and DVDs, but will simply not have the needed bandwidth in their area to support this as a primary means of content procurement

2) Those that currently purchase games and DVDs, but will not be willing to pay the monthly rates to get the necessary bandwidth even if its available in their particular area

If you think game companies and movie studios are simply going to kiss these people goodbye … which I would expect will remain in the 10’s if not hundreds of millions for quite some time … you are kidding yourselves.

Raistlin

patsu said:
Additionally, PSP owners will be happy to hear that a portable copy will be available on the disc encoded specifically for the PSP

So so awesome.

But Sony hates managed copying :lol

andycapps

tanod said:
On another interesting note: I learned something new this week. Sony's betamax is used almost exclusively by TV studios and such for all their videotaping needs.

Yep, a friend of mine works at a local cable TV station and he said Betamax is still very popular in that circle. They have two Alienware's running the whole station essentially. Most of their work is done on Macs, of course. But yeah, I'd forgotten about that until you mentioned it.

OverHeat

« generous god »
JCBossman said:
So what's your opinion of that Turok game, are your PS3 Boys going to PULL for you or are you going to rely on US X360 to bail you out? You know the system you hate?

No Reply from Bish? :lol
....Come on JC thats was uncalled for.

Crisis

Banned
KTallguy said:
How does this work? This sounds awesome!

There's a specially-encoded version of the movie on the Blu-ray itself. It copies to your PS3 hard drive and then you copy it over to your PSP. Very nice.

JCBossman

Banned
I WAS fine, (even bought a couple Blu-Rays for a player I don't yet own) until I came in this thread and and "the Cat" and Co. are having a HD DVD smackathon, that stuff is uncalled for.

tanod said:

That'd be Betacam, with Betamax being the earlier consumer format. I remember when I moved from this clown TV studio I worked at that could only afford SVHS to another studio that was stocked with Betacam cameras and a beautiful Avid editing room... damn what a difference that was.

JCBossman said:
a HD DVD smackathon, that stuff is uncalled for.

Is it though?

Loudninja

JCBossman said:
I WAS fine, (even bought a couple Blu-Rays for a player I don't yet own) until I came in this thread and and "the Cat" and Co. are having a HD DVD smackathon, that stuff is uncalled for.
pete_with_hddvdcopy.jpg

Dude its not that serious

andycapps

JCBossman said:

You ever seen Sales Age threads with the numerous gifs of "It prints money LOLZ" pasted every week. This is nothing. Like was mentioned before, grow a pair. I don't think anyone's rubbing this in anyone's face, we're glad this "war" is closer to being over. Shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Segata Sanshiro said:
The word 'meltdown' gets thrown around rather easily in today's modern NeoGAF, but so rarely do we see a meltdown that goes above and beyond and distinguishes itself as something truly unique in the field of fanciful flaming floppery.

I like the sound of that. Phonetically it sounds like something I said Saturday night :D

patsu

JCBossman said:

Guys, be nice. :(

Kittonwy

Banned
JCBossman said:

That's uncalled for.
Indifferent2.gif

Jtrizzy

Crisis said:
There's a specially-encoded version of the movie on the Blu-ray itself. It copies to your PS3 hard drive and then you copy it over to your PSP. Very nice.

Wow, really? They are doing incredible things with PS3/PSP connectivity.

Raistlin

JCBossman said:

I seem to recall you being here for quite some time.

Have you somehow missed what happens in 99% of threads here? Sorry if it hurts when the format you support goes down in flames ... but well, that's how plenty of people must feel around here on a regular basis.

KTallguy

Banned
Crisis said:

Wow, I'm really happy about this. This is ... wow....

1up said:
Among these random facts was additional confirmation that Sony considers MGS4 a PS3 exclusive release.

Man at that wording :lol

andycapps

Firewire said:
Oh Man!

We need those two Peter Moore gifs! The Uncharted punch out, and Killzone2 blood shots! :lol

I'm still waiting on the picture of the Iraqis using their shoes to beat the statue of HD-DVDs. And for JCBossman, this is all in good fun. I'm not happy that HD-DVD is going down, but I am happy for myself that I didn't buy into what was clearly a losing format.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Get off each others nuts (all of you) or theres going to be casualties.

Someone is lucky his meltdown didn't bring about an abrupt end to a countdown, others are lucky because they may have been taken out in the resulting blast.

This thread is over, Rover. (Take MGS4 to a new thread, and bear in mind my warning.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom