• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

MattyG

Banned
I thought I had heard that they are in the process of bringing the missing DLC over to the Vita port?
I'm pretty sure they said that whether or not they do it is dependent on how well it sells and whether or not it would be worth it for them.

SirNinja

Can you adjust the boundaries of the HUD in this version? I like to have mine at/near the edge of the screen.

I thought I had heard that they are in the process of bringing the missing DLC over to the Vita port?

I would hope so as it will knacker up the cross-save feature surely? A lvl 69 character with a range of DLC guns would have trouble jumping from one version to another I would have thought?

RE_Player

I swear there was an interview around GDC that said they are bringing the rest of the dlc over. I'm in class now so I can't really dig through sites.

Can you adjust the boundaries of the HUD in this version? I like to have mine at/near the edge of the screen.

Yes

Why does this menu exist?

MfsR9PE.jpg

Anyone have a great button mapping, particularly so accidentally touching the rear-touchpad doesn't do anything? lol

I put Crouch [Defaults to Circle] and Swap Weapon [Default is Triangle] to rear touch with Melee now on triangle and sprint now on circle

You can swap weapons with the dpad which is locked to that so no reason to have a face button wasting away as a weapon swap. crouch is also less useful I find

So if i were to buy a physical copy, how much space would i need to keep free on my memory card for the dlc?

I asked this yesterday and people were saying it's around 2gb for all the DLC and a patch.

According to the download list, it is as follows:

Borderlands 2: 3254MB
Captain Scarlett: 789MB
Krieg the Psycho: 100KB
Mr. Torgue's Campaign: 942MB
Ultimate Vault Hunter: 100KB
Collector's Edition Pack: 100KB
The Mechromancer: 100KB

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's kind of amazing to me that this port has seemingly turned out better than the port of God of War despite its age. Bringing a full blown Unreal Engine 3 shooter to mobile hardware must have been a herculean task of the highest order. It's really quite amazing that it works at all.

God of War, on the other hand, runs seemingly worse than Borderlands 2 and operates at an even lower resolution. Incredible.

It's kind of amazing to me that this port has seemingly turned out better than the port of God of War despite its age. Bringing a full blown Unreal Engine 3 shooter to mobile hardware must have been a herculean task of the highest order. It's really quite amazing that it works at all.

God of War, on the other hand, runs seemingly worse than Borderlands 2 and operates at an even lower resolution. Incredible.

It's a pity that Iron Galaxy likely won't get much kudos for the port outside perhaps of future port work from Sony but I suppose that in itself is valuable. While the framerate isn't perfect, they did a very very good job. It really is the full BL2 experience on the Vita. If the controls were better, it'd be a simply fantastic way to play the game. Still pretty great though

melman101

Has anyone been able to back up Borderlands 2 and all DLC to their computer using CMA? I get an error every time I attempt to copy it to my computer. I just like backing up my digital games to my computer, and this one especially since it's 5.4gb with everything.

RE_Player

I put Crouch [Defaults to Circle] and Swap Weapon [Default is Triangle] to rear touch with Melee now on triangle and sprint now on circle

You can swap weapons with the dpad which is locked to that so no reason to have a face button wasting away as a weapon swap. crouch is also less useful I find
Going to try this.

Piotrek

The game looks fantastic and plays really well. I'm particularly impressed with the textures. After the initial screenshots and videos it looked as if the game will be a blurry mess, but it's quite the contrary, everything (even environmental objects nobody gives a crap about) is crisp and clear. Honest to God, the textures look much better than on the 360.

Sure, the framerate dips, but it did dip on the home consoles also. Every time you got punched in the face by a bullymong caused the framerate to drop by half for a second, same goes with grenades exploding right in your face, not to mention various particle effects like splashes of blood or acid etc.
It would be nice if the game received some further optimisation via patches but it's fully playable even now.

One thing which is quite perplexing is the lack of advertising on Sony's part. Seriously, I think porting a fully functional and almost fully featured port of a UE3 game of such gigantic proportions to a handheld console is a case without precedent. If this ain't the way to push a crapload of Vitas on the west, then I honestly don't know what is.

Also, I really hope they port the Tina DLC, I heard it's amazing. I bought the season pass for BL2 right after launch and only got around to playing the Hammerlock one. It was kinda meh, but I'll buy it anyway if it's released just to show these guys that they did a hell of a good job on the whole package.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes

Haven't played this version yet...but have played far too much BL2 and can confirm that crouch is nigh useless. Any cover worth using is full and besides the one time necessary in the tutorial in BL1 I can't think of any time where you actually need to do it. Weapon switching is on the dpad so you don't need buttons for those...but then again I wouldn't want to accidentily push it either. Reload would be great on the back screen for Mechromancers though.

lol wow

antibolo

Banned
Iron Galaxy are basically the closest possible Western equivalent to M2. Every time they port/emulate something they put genuine effort into it. The emulated CPS releases they do for Capcom are pretty neat. So really, it's not surprising that the Borderlands 2 port turned out OK.

Yes

I'm going to always be randomly crouching and switching weapons now though lol

Iron Galaxy are basically the closest possible Western equivalent to M2. Every time they port/emulate something they put genuine effort into it. The emulated CPS releases they do for Capcom are pretty neat. So really, it's not surprising that the Borderlands 2 port turned out OK.

They should teach whoever are doing all the lameass PS2 ports a lesson.

Yup

Buying this out of principle alone :)

Firehead

Odd, launched the game again and now it's saying I have an unloadable inventory? Anyone know what the cause of this might be?

Fuck, I really want this. I didn't even know I wanted this. I wasn't expecting it to be a decent port, but it sounds like my ideal experience of playing Borderlands.

23rd is LOOONG.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Odd, launched the game again and now it's saying I have an unloadable inventory? Anyone know what the cause of this might be?
Yeah, I get this too but it only started after a few sessions with the game - not sure how to fix, maybe a patch will sort it out. I haven't downloaded every DLC pack yet, though - maybe that's it.

Is sprinting in this game tap to sprint or hold to sprint? Because I think I'll just put weapon swap and sprint on my back touch pad to put melee on the face buttons.

Quantum

I just unpacked the 2k, I really like the feel and like the recessed grip and smaller touchpad a lot - I don't think my hands are enormous but it made playing certain games really difficulty.

I was previously using a day 1 3g/wifi version and I can really tell the difference in weight.

that being said - wtf is up with sonys download times - I have fios and can download at lightning speed on steam - on the vita its like I've got a 2400 baud modem.

(well maybe not that bad).

I never played BL2 on my ps3, but have more then 166 hours on the steam version. I really don't think I'm going to move my save from PC -> PS3 -> vita, so I'll start over with the psycho which I've never played.

I am ecstatic that the port is not shit.

Going to try this.

Worked well for me during the little bit I played

Haven't played this version yet...but have played far too much BL2 and can confirm that crouch is nigh useless. Any cover worth using is full and besides the one time necessary in the tutorial in BL1 I can't think of any time where you actually need to do it. Weapon switching is on the dpad so you don't need buttons for those...but then again I wouldn't want to accidentily push it either. Reload would be great on the back screen for Mechromancers though.

Hmm I suppose on the weapon switching might be something of an issue but I don't know what else to put back there as everything else usually needs button response

I'm going to always be randomly crouching and switching weapons now though lol

Crouching isn't a bad thing. Switching weapons might be but I didn't have a problem with it

I'm actually really impressed by this game. Spent hours playing last night!

I know right?

Yeah, I get this too but it only started after a few sessions with the game - not sure how to fix, maybe a patch will sort it out. I haven't downloaded every DLC pack yet, though - maybe that's it.

For whatever reason the game thinks you have DLC items in your inventory for DLC you don't have and it chooses to not load only those items. So no issue but annoying none the less

Ollie Pooch

One bug I hope they fix.

When you invert aim it also inverts the gyro aiming. This has to get fixed!
Yeah, I'm surprised this wasn't picked up - no specific settings for gyro is bone headed! But I'm sure it will be fixed. Loved that in Uncharted.

The grenade throwing is a bit off too - you barely get any feedback and they fling off as if they are made of bouncy rubber - though Im not sure if this is faithful to the original or not.

Ricker

One thing which is quite perplexing is the lack of advertising on Sony's part. Seriously, I think porting a fully functional and almost fully featured port of a UE3 game of such gigantic proportions to a handheld console is a case without precedent. If this ain't the way to push a crapload of Vitas on the west, then I honestly don't know what is.

I agree...its like they have given up trying to sell them to the mass and are just doing awesome stuff for the people who have them so far...

Both Borderlands are some of my favorite games of the last few years,I played on the 360 so there is no chance of transfer but damn if I am not tempted to grab this for the Vita...

So odd that this stuff left out, UNLESS they're planning to sell it to us later. Ugh.

Comments like this in this thread are pretty funny. Earlier in the thread people were complaining about the 5 gigs for the digital copy + supplied DLC, and here we have people upset that an additional 4 gigs (at least) of digital content is missing. Just can t please everyone

Ollie Pooch

I agree...its like they have given up trying to sell them to the mass and are just doing awesome stuff for the people who have them so far...

Both Borderlands are some of my favorite games of the last few years,I played on the 360 so there is no chance of transfer but damn if I am not tempted to grab this for the Vita...
Yeah, i wonder if they'll push it once it's officially out? This kind of game is what i dreamed about for the Vita when it was first announced (without sounding too hyperbolic...) - a substantial, console-level RPG/FPS game on the go - but like others have said here I doubt it'll do much to reverse the Vita's current position. Still gotta love that it's released, though.

While it's a port I specifically held off on going too far on the console version when I heard this was coming out, so hoping it pays off - got a good 6 hours on a flight tomrorow evening after work to sink some proper time into it.

VanWinkle

What an awesome success story the port job for this is. So happy about the positive impressions, and its incredible that they took a huge, sandboxed Unreal Engine 3 FPS packed to the brim with content and got it onto the Vita with native resolution and similar framerate to the console versions. Kind of a bizarre and awesome happening.

Looking forward to getting it next week!

Ollie Pooch

I think like much Vita content, it'll be criticised for what it isn't, rather than what it has achieved.

That said I can see how a port of a (kind of) old game wouldn't inspire much excitement beyond us geeks :p

What an awesome success story the port job for this is. So happy about the positive impressions, and its incredible that they took a huge, sandboxed Unreal Engine 3 FPS packed to the brim with content and got it onto the Vita with native resolution and similar framerate to the console versions. Kind of a bizarre and awesome happening.

Looking forward to getting it next week!

My sentiments exactly.

Bring on Tuesday!

Takao

Banned
:-( Why do you think so? Not that I disagree, but just that it's so late and it's not quite up with the console versions?

I expect the consensus to be that it's a noticeably worse version of a game you've already played on a platform that deserves better. This is a port so comparisons to the console versions are bound to happen, even if they aren't the most fair.

areal

Can I download and apply the DLC later if I just want to play the base game and save precious memory at the same time?

SonicTHP

Neo Member
Can everyone interested just agree to buy it so that Gearbox can be pushed to make a Vita Borderlands made for the system?

This is my goal.

BigDug13

I expect the consensus to be that it's a noticeably worse version of a game you've already played on a platform that deserves better. This is a port so comparisons to the console versions are bound to happen, even if they aren't the most fair.

I think this is similar to how Titanfall for 360 turned out. Was that being heavily criticized for its technical deficiencies compared to PC/XBO?

Top Bottom