• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

antibolo

Banned
They need to fix the font size. There's really no excuse for that. Improving a game's performance is hard, fixing basic UI issues is not.

Just bought this on a whim, planning on booting up tonight, will I be filled with joy or sadness? First time BL2'er, also on the 1k model and the physical cart.

Tigress

Quick question. Is there a way to re listen to audio files you have found. Or is it hear it then or else not hear it at all (I ask cause sometimes it plays them when I'm in the middle of battle and can't really hear what it's saying, kinda annoying. I am trying to get myself more in the habit of waiting before I pick up the audio file but if I forget I'd like to be able to replay it).

OmegaZero

Sweet, can't wait to see if the patch fixes the crashing and audio issues.
I had the game crash on me twice today, with the second time happening right before I was about to pick up a purple sniper rifle from a chest in the Caustic Caverns. :/

Picked this up yesterday, and just got through the Captain Flynt fight. Framerate hasn't bothered me too much except when I have my crosshairs on a baddie, pull the trigger and suddenly dude is 15 feet from where he was before.

All in all though, this is B2 on the go and I'm quite happy with it. Would buy DLC.

Has there been any clarification on what happens with cross-save when going from vita to ps3 as far as DLC characters go? I never bought Kreig on PS3, so will it just not allow that save to download to my PS3?

OmegaZero

Hope one of those improvements is 4 player co-op.

I doubt they would have removed it if there was a way that they could have kept it in. But it would be cool for sure.

Personally, I'd like the inclusion of an Ad-hoc mode so I can play with my friends without the need for a Wi-Fi connection.

I really think that all were going to get is a better and more consistent framerate. I highly doubt that 4 player coop is going to be added. What I really want though is some kind of death animations to be added back in. It still bothers me that enemies just poof into a splat of blood. I know that its pretty wishful thinking that they would add this back in or even be able to.

MattyG

Banned
I really think that all were going to get is a better and more consistent framerate. I highly doubt that 4 player coop is going to be added. What I really want though is some kind of death animations to be added back in. It still bothers me that enemies just poof into a splat of blood. I know that its pretty wishful thinking that they would add this back in or even be able to.
I kind of like it. It makes the guns feel very powerful. Of course, ragdoll is preferable, but this is a nice compromise.

Omerta

I am by no means a *core* gamer anymore - I've no time to play at home like I used to... Due to family constraints, the vita is my go-to gaming platform and the BL2 port really interested me.

I've followed this thread in its entirety and read all the reports you guys have posted (thanks, sincerely).

I'm the sort of person who usually paid attention to game reviews, I usually base my future purchases on what I read in the gaming media.

I'm not ashamed to say that I use IGN to get most of my info. I'm not that immersed in the culture that I give a fuck what anyone thinks... I kind of like the tabloid feel of the website and I genuinely like the playstation team.

That's why I'm so disappointed in the IGN review for this game. I feel it was a mistake to put Vince on as the reviewer in the first place. He's a self confessed frame/rate nazi for one thing and admitted in the recent Podcast Beyond that if a game falls below 30 fps (even for a second) then he can't get on board.

I'm the total other end of the spectrum. I'm in this for fun experiences, not to be blown away by tech demos. I couldn't give a fuck what a game looks like, it just has to hold my attention. I can totally allow frame rate hiccups if the bulk of my experience with the game is favourable.

Maybe that puts me in the minority here... I know a lot of you get very passionate about game performance and that's cool - why shouldn't you but for me - the opportunity to have BL2 in my pocket, to pick up and play in bite-sized chunks is awesome.

I think IGN set this up. The trickle of news stories before the release were incredibly negative until the last hands-on with colin moriarty, in which he mentioned how much the game had improved. Upon it's release, I read that the majority of users are having a blast playing the game.

Does all this have a point? Maybe I learned through all this that I should pay less attention to reviews and more to user opinions.

I'll be buying this - day one in Australia - with "normal" expectations.

Redhood

They can completely make the rear touch pad optional. If they follow below.

I map the crouch on left rear pad and change weapon on right. Melee to the triangle and Sprint to circle.

Gun selection is already mapped to D Pad. Crouch can be accommodated like Killzone Mercenary. Push for crouch and hold while running for sprint.

Tweeted to the devs.

Tigress

I personally love them exploding in a splat of blood. I find it very satisfying (especially if I get them with a burning weapon and I can just sit back and wait for them to explode all on their own). It's not like the game aims to be realistic, it's very much an over the top game so I don't mind the enemies magically explode and disappear.

depward

Truly a game I go heads down with and don't look up for like an hour.

I'm having so much fun with this. Maybe because I haven't played any form of this game before.

Redhood

Iron Galaxy Favorited my tweet. Hope they are implementing something like it. I got really bad hand cramps from playing this game. KZ:M did awesome by not implementing touchpad.

nakedeyes

Banned
Has anyone been able to use the matchmaking successfully?

I don't have any friends that own this, so I have been trying to find a few randoms to play with online. I tried Quick Match about 15 times and it would find someone and fail to connect every time. I then looked at the server browser and tried probably 10 rooms, they also all failed to connect..

Anyone played online besides via direct friend invite?

Does all this have a point? Maybe I learned through all this that I should pay less attention to reviews and more to user opinions.

I'll be buying this - day one in Australia - with "normal" expectations.

Before becoming a coming to GAF last year i was the same way. Loved IGN and didnt know anything about the technical aspect of all the games i was playing. I just liked playng games and that was enough. Even still I can very easily overlook technical problems if I'm having fun. That is exactly playing what this game is. Its fun. They took a great game with an expansive world and were able to make it portable. It's a full cosole game that i can play away from the house. They didnt take out levels or make the areas smaller. Its the same game. Even with less enemies, disappearing dead bodies, framerate issues and other little bugs, its still fun. It also fits the vita well. I can just knock outa sde mission for a quick play session or sit there for hours and get lost. I'm really glad this port was made. I'm having a good time with it.

Has anyone been able to use the matchmaking successfully?

I don't have any friends that own this, so I have been trying to find a few randoms to play with online. I tried Quick Match about 15 times and it would find someone and fail to connect every time. I then looked at the server browser and tried probably 10 rooms, they also all failed to connect..

Anyone played online besides via direct friend invite?

Yes, Matchmaking is near flawless for me. I think I had one disconnect out of 20 sessions.

DrFurbs

The one thing I've learned is to ignore taboid review sites and listen only to users on Neogaf. This has served me well so far.

petghost

Banned
man i just checked the metacritic for this and god damn its getting torn apart. i know there are some issues but they seem overall relatively minor, although i guess the bloodshot stronghold bug certainly isnt minor.

i feel like this is a solid port that works unexpectedly well on the vita... im wondering if some folks just dislike the idea of this kind of game being on a handheld at all.

BigDug13

Hope one of those improvements is 4 player co-op.

The problem is the peer to peer nature of the game. If Gearbox had dedicated servers, this wouldn't be an issue. But the vita isn't powerful enough to host 3 other players while also running the game for a 4th player locally.

TUSR

Banned
So im picking up the bundle tomorrow, and ive heard that there has been patches (and the future patch above) that improve the quality of the gameplay.

how is the online for this version?

The one thing I've learned is to ignore taboid review sites and listen only to users on Neogaf. This has served me well so far.

Enh. To be fair there are just as many users on Neogaf will exaggerate or minimize issues as there are reviews who will do the same. Both groups contain tons of people with extreme biases.

You've just gotta take everything with a grain of salt, and be able to pick out the good ones. Both among Neogaf users and reviewers (or anyone in-between).

BigDug13

Iron Galaxy Favorited my tweet. Hope they are implementing something like it. I got really bad hand cramps from playing this game. KZ:M did awesome by not implementing touchpad.

Not sure what your tweet said, but I'm not sure how you're getting hand cramps when you're able to map 2 never-used buttons to the rear touchpad (weapon swap and crouch are rarely used and can be individually mapped.). So essentially you can play the entire game barely ever needing to touch the rear pad if you configure your controls.

Omerta

RE: hand cramps...

I played Killzone for a few hours on a plane when it was released and it gave me t-rex hands.

I bought a grip the following day and I've not had a problem since.

Redhood

Not sure what your tweet said, but I'm not sure how you're getting hand cramps when you're able to map 2 never-used buttons to the rear touchpad (weapon swap and crouch are rarely used and can be individually mapped.). So essentially you can play the entire game barely ever needing to touch the rear pad if you configure your controls.
I still need to keep the fingers off the rear touchpad. I asked them to go with the sane setup and disable rear touchpad.

nakedeyes

Banned
Yeah! Finally got online and played and chatted with a random dude for nearly an hour.

Seemed to hold 25-30fps most of the whole time. I continue to be super impressed with the performance of this game! I am about 5 ish hours in now, which is about where I stopped playing the PC version when it first came out.. I think I will stick with it! This really is such a great game to have on the go and play in bursts.

matmanx1

Made it to the mission to find Corporal Reiss last night (which is the mission to gain entrance to Sanctuary). I continue to be mostly impressed with the performance and fun factor of BL2 on the Vita.

Now I just need to learn how to drive with 2 sticks instead of the kb/mouse which is what I am use to. My buggy was all over the road like a drunken vault-hunter last night!

nakedeyes

Banned
They need to fix the font size. There's really no excuse for that. Improving a game's performance is hard, fixing basic UI issues is not.

Yeah. Its like they left the screen-safe area from the console version in .. on a fixed display like the vita, that shouldn't be necessary.. Super easy fix: blow it all up 15%

AwRy108

People who have played a lot of this- does the game hold up? Does the frame rate fall apart later on?

I'm a lvl 10 Mechromancer that's doing quests that I grabbed from Sanctuary, and the fps has held up incredibly well. The fps is obviously at its worst when you're in Sanctuary and outdoors (it's still completely playable), but, keep in mind, most of the quests and tough battles take you into indoor areas and/or smaller, more linear sections of the world; and it's in these places that the fps is at its best, easily on par with the PS3 version. Oh, and for what it's worth: I'm playing off the actual game card (physical media for life! (or as long as its possible)).

I don't have rose-colored glasses on that cause me to ignore the graphical concessions made from the game's transition to a portable device; but, at the end of the day, it really is the entire Borderlands 2 experience, and it's just as fun--maybe more, b/c it's portable--as all of the other versions of the game (well, unless you prefer 4-player co-op).

Such a great purchase. Really makes me pine for more action-RPG's on the Vita...

ZServ

The frame rate issues in Sanctuary are p much my singular gripe with the game. That shit is flat out unacceptable. Other then that and the weird bullet travel time it's easily worth the money.

Top Bottom