• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

i-zombie

Neo Member
I was psyched to see my copy had arrived by post today... But when I tried to redeem the add-ons code realized that the one in the box (R1) wouldn't work with my UK account. I thought the doc would have been included on the cart! Would anyone else having the same problem want to swap? PM me if u need a US code but have an EU one!, or just have a spare :)

Thanks!

My biggest gripe is Texture Pop-in, other than that the other issues aren't huge to me...I just hope they plan on releasing another patch to do right by those who supported them during the launch.

Tigress

My biggest gripe is Texture Pop-in, other than that the other issues aren't huge to me...I just hope they plan on releasing another patch to do right by those who supported them during the launch.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that. The PS3 version apparently does it too :(.

Honestly, I don't know about PC, but from what I've played of the PS3 version (been playing it when I don't have access to my Vita <- for some reason I like shooters better on the vita, I think it's cause of the more resistance on the thumbsticks), it really doesn't significantly better than the Vita version (a little less hiccups but I've also only been in the intro stuff, not even gotten to Flynt yet, but the texture pop in is definitely there).

BigDug13

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that. The PS3 version apparently does it too :(.

Honestly, I don't know about PC, but from what I've played of the PS3 version (been playing it when I don't have access to my Vita <- for some reason I like shooters better on the vita, I think it's cause of the more resistance on the thumbsticks), it really doesn't significantly better than the Vita version (a little less hiccups but I've also only been in the intro stuff, not even gotten to Flynt yet, but the texture pop in is definitely there).

Texture pop in is a common occurrence on all UE3 based games. But the Vita being quite a bit weaker than the last gen consoles makes that texture streaming a bit slower and even more noticeable.

Tuesday was the last I read from this thread.

Tuesday was for the patch on PS3 to facilitate cross save, not the patch on Vita. Unless some info has changed.

So I played half an hour, and my verdict is, fuck, why did I buy into the NeoGAF hype for this garbage.

This is barely playable, the framerate goes to shit as soon as ONLY ONE enemy shows up on screen.

The bad reviews were entirely justified, this is really awful. I'm not even sure I will ever play it again.

I've fought multiple enemies at once and only seen a slight dip in framerate. Never once would I say it's become unplayable.

Pics_nao

Just tried converting my PC save to PS3 and it won't work for some reason. BFSD won't let me encrypt the save. Anyone know a fix to this? I want my Maya dammit.

Edit: Hmm. Seems like I got it to work now. Dunno what went wrong the first time.

Chris R

Wait, how do I get my PS3 characters onto my Vita?

I already grabbed my PC saves and put them on my PS3 but they didn't show up in the Vita (even after I uploaded them to the PS+ Cloud storage thingy).

BigDug13

Wait, how do I get my PS3 characters onto my Vita?

I already grabbed my PC saves and put them on my PS3 but they didn't show up in the Vita (even after I uploaded them to the PS+ Cloud storage thingy).

Did you launch the character on PS3 to make sure it worked ok? If it does, then can't you use the new cross save option from the patch? Not upload to the cloud, I mean actually select the cross save option on the main menu.

Chris R

Did you launch the character on PS3 to make sure it worked ok? If it does, then can't you use the new cross save option from the patch? Not upload to the cloud, I mean actually select the cross save option on the main menu.
I did test them on my PS3. They worked great.

I'll have to go rent it again from Redbox to get the patch I guess, thought I was waiting for a Vita patch to enable the cross save, not a PS3 one :D

Tigress

I think somewhere in this thread was the claim that the PS3 patch needed for cross save would come Tuesday or something and that some how this was due to Sony.

Chris R

Sucked that I had to bring each character over bit by bit but I'm good to go now. Can't wait to experience the DLC since I never bought it on my 360.

EL CUCO

I'm ok with this port. Been playing for a few hours and really enjoying it.

Cross-save patch for PS3 is out and it worked flawless.

I got through the Bloodshot Stronghold once to rescue Roland and wanted to head back to sell some stuff... didn't realize I'd have to trek through the whole area again to where the boss battle was about to happen. Only problem is now I can't get through the Bloodshot Stronghold without freezing up, usually in the same room. I've attempted it at least 5 times just today.

I am having a blast with this game like I never really did on PS3, but this is really putting a damper on it... hope that patch comes quick, and isn't a fix-one-break-one cycle.

EDIT: update, add today's freeze tally up to 6, BUT I finally made it through to the robot area again on go #7 and I believe I was able to make it through by specifically avoiding the first few audio logs from the gun merchant... almost every time i froze up, the sound went off before finally locking up after 5-30 seconds. It's almost certainly a sound bug, probably tied to the way audio tracks get lagged up sometimes anyway.

Frazley

Cross save is out. How it seems to work is it will sync how many tokens you have (don't know about golden keys, can anyone tell me where my number shows up?) and it also syncs your level. What you use those tokens for seems to be independent on each system. When you upload a character you can then download it to a slot on vita or ps3, but you delete the shared file once you download.

You can only upload 1 character at any time.

Tigress

Cross save is out. How it seems to work is it will sync how many tokens you have (don't know about golden keys, can anyone tell me where my number shows up?) and it also syncs your level. What you use those tokens for seems to be independent on each system. When you upload a character you can then download it to a slot on vita or ps3, but you delete the shared file once you download.

You can only upload 1 character at any time.

It doesn't seem to transfer my tokens for me. I have a ridiculous amount on my PS3, and about 10 on my Vita. And the gold keys seem linked to the system as well.

(I also didn't realize the tokens were shared amongst characters on the same system).

Frazley

It doesn't seem to transfer my tokens for me. I have a ridiculous amount on my PS3, and about 10 on my Vita. And the gold keys seem linked to the system as well.

(I also didn't realize the tokens were shared amongst characters on the same system).

For me it gave me wording on Vita saying "Tokens and badass rank have been synced, you now have 10 tokens"

Hollycat

*Sigh*

After a solid 30 some hours, I'm shelving this game until the patch. Just froze twice during a story mission in Thousand Cuts, in around 30 minutes. Getting booted way back to the beginning means battling through boatloads of enemies again, and I can't be bothered to continually slog through it.

Gonna level up my Gunzerker on the PS3 in the meantime, and hopefully the patches for both systems hit soon.

Was it the area in Thousand cuts in the little bandit town? Because that's the single most common crash area in the game, especially when you click the alarm. Still technically possible to clear all the quests without going there, but annoying.

Faltimar

How do I move my PC saves to the PS3? Do I just copy the entire save folder (75643483 something) onto a flash drive then put the drive into the ps3 and somehow load up the save?

How do I move my PC saves to the PS3? Do I just copy the entire save folder (75643483 something) onto a flash drive then put the drive into the ps3 and somehow load up the save?

PC -> PS3 -> Vita

Downloads Required
  • Install Bruteforce Save Data v4.4.2 - LINK
  • Install Visual Basic run-time files - LINK
  • Download Gibbed Save Editor - LINK

Steps
  1. Get a dummy save from your PS3 version of Borderlands 2. Simply create a new character, and quit once you're in gameplay
  2. Copy this save to your PC using via USB
  3. Open the dummy PS3 save in BFSD and select Decrypt PDF -> Decrypt All Files
  4. Now open Gibbed save editor and open your PC save. It should default to the correct directory.
  5. Change platform to PS3. Then click save. Now save this where your dummy PS3 .sav file currently is, and overwrite it.
  6. Go back to BFSD, and select Encrypt PFD - Encrypt decrypted files
  7. Then copy the PS3 save folder back onto your console from the USB, boot up the game, and you'll have your PC save on your PS3. Ready for the Vita version :D

Credit to iNvRG on se7ensins for his guide that I originally followed

So I played a lot more of Borderlands 2 Vita over the weekend and I was really surprised by how unfair a first impression can be with this game. The starting areas can be very choppy with frame rate while later ones can actually be buttery smooth. Anyone that wants to see what I mean go play "Assassinate the Assassins" side mission. The core part of that mission has the frame rate VERY high. Don't necessarily want to say 60fps, but definitely above 30fps.

It proves that the game can run very fast and performance is content specific.

What I noticed though was there was the textures were extremely varied in this area making texture loading very prominent. Let's hope that they optimize the engine so the whole game runs this fast and textures don't pop in quite so much.

BigDug13

So wait, is there no way to transfer Gaige or Krieg character save over to Vita from PC without buying that content on PS3? Fuck that. I own all the DLC on 360 and PC for this game and also own the Vita version and now I can't transfer these two classes because the one and only platform I don't own this DLC on is putting up a roadblock?

Is there any way around this shit?

So I played a lot more of Borderlands 2 Vita over the weekend and I was really surprised by how unfair a first impression can be with this game. The starting areas can be very choppy with frame rate while later ones can actually be buttery smooth. Anyone that wants to see what I mean go play "Assassinate the Assassins" side mission. The core part of that mission has the frame rate VERY high. Don't necessarily want to say 60fps, but definitely above 30fps.

It proves that the game can run very fast and performance is content specific.

What I noticed though was there was the textures were extremely varied in this area making texture loading very prominent. Let's hope that they optimize the engine so the whole game runs this fast and textures don't pop in quite so much.

Had the exact same impression. I'm gonna do a video review for my Vita 2000 trigger grips coming in next week and I might do a BL2 review as well. Need to spread the truth.

BigDug13

Off topic kind of, but can this transfer method work with Dark Souls 2 to go from PS3 to PC?

Well the main thing here is the Gibbed utility that was designed as a character editor for BL2. If there's a similar thing for DS2 that also contains an ability to change the type of save game it is across the 3 platforms, then yes it should be doable. If there is no such utility like Gibbed for BL2, then no.

EDIT: update, add today's freeze tally up to 6, BUT I finally made it through to the robot area again on go #7 and I believe I was able to make it through by specifically avoiding the first few audio logs from the gun merchant... almost every time i froze up, the sound went off before finally locking up after 5-30 seconds. It's almost certainly a sound bug, probably tied to the way audio tracks get lagged up sometimes anyway.
Man that sucks. Looks like I'll be holding off on this until it gets fixed.

Tigress

Has anyone noticed the game seems to perform better with some characters than others?

With Zero it ran totally fine and I didn't even understand why people thought it was that bad.

Maya, while still playable and fun, is noticeably worse (in the same areas as I am much farther ahead in story with Zero) on performance. I still think it's fun, and I'm not getting near as many crashes as some people have said on here (I have been playing hours each day and on total I've had 2-3 crashes at most for the whole time I've played onmy Vita). But I am seeing enough issues to be sure there is more than I saw with Zero.

Hollycat

Has anyone noticed the game seems to perform better with some characters than others?

With Zero it ran totally fine and I didn't even understand why people thought it was that bad.

Maya, while still playable and fun, is noticeably worse (in the same areas as I am much farther ahead in story with Zero) on performance. I still think it's fun, and I'm not getting near as many crashes as some people have said on here (I have been playing hours each day and on total I've had 2-3 crashes at most for the whole time I've played onmy Vita). But I am seeing enough issues to be sure there is more than I saw with Zero.

It feels to me like Gaige is worse than the others.

i never really noticed how hilarious the enemy quips are in this game before. i wish i could find sound clips of

"Die, midget lover!"

and

"Look into my eyes while I stare at you!"

Well, I did my part and picked up a copy. Can't wait to get home, lock myself in the bathroom, and loot-n-poop!

poop color determines rarity, try to get orange whenever possible

Tigress

i never really noticed how hilarious the enemy quips are in this game before. i wish i could find sound clips of

"Die, midget lover!"

and

I love the enemy quips. My favorites are, "Hey, give me my hitpoints back!" or "Hey, I was going to kill him!".

BigDug13

"Die, midget lover!"

and

poop color determines rarity, try to get orange whenever possible

There's also hidden AI routines I had never noticed before. The crazed marauders that usually pick at you from behind cover. If you leave any nomads alive around them, eventually they'll yell "charge" and those marauders that were hiding suddenly are getting in your face, making for much easier kills.

I'm noticing more things playing it on a portable compared to the PC and 360 versions.

Ditto @ "Charge!"

I remember noticing that the AI and firefighting/map layout coalescence was better in BL2 than BL1 in the first place, back when the game was new... but it seems more alive now. It must be because I'm usually playing with headphones on or really focused on the handheld screen. I just feel more into it.

Kolma

When you invert look it also inverts the gyro aim.

Ugh. :(

Just got my game today.
Had to turn off gyro for this reason alone...

This is worse than that Muramasa Rebirth Patch that changed all the Left stick up animations with down and vice versa on the customize controls scheme
*mark jump as down to have it be up

Top Bottom