• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

krpiper

This is slightly off topic but how much of a difference does the lighter weight and the smaller touchpad make for the 2000 vs the 1000?

Like I see the reviews but how much of a difference is it really :)

Has anyone heard anything about when cross save is suppose to work? Ive had the game for days but have been waiting for that feature. I dont wanna play through the first couple hours for a third time.

According to Randy, it MIGHT be coming on Friday. He says it's all up to Sony and last he heard, the patch is supposed to hit Friday.

Tik-Tok

Anyone interested in buying a Bordlands code for 25 bux? I'm gonna go buy a Vita, and have no interest in the game, and I'm trying to offset the cost a bit.

So if you are in an area that you cleared of enemies and have a full inventory and cannot pick up your new loot, go to a place to sell items very close by to free space, and come back, enemies will still be gone but your loot will disappear.

Weak. Really weak. I guess just drop stuff and take the better one and miss out on selling them?

Really unhappy now.

So I'm all the way to Sanctuary now and my thoughts are as follows:
-performs pretty bad, but not much worse than my PS3 version through my 60hz PC monitor. It's acceptable, and I can manage.
-however, often times the UI is sluggish and laggy and annoying.
-the bullet delay is really annoying.
-I keep accidentally hitting the back touch pad, so it would be great if they allowed us to map to specific dpad buttons instead of just the whole dpad. Either that or allow us to leave an action unmapped.
-enemy numbers and variety is fine, and I seem to be leveling pretty fast so they must have adjusted things.
-it's a little hard to aim but I'll get used to it.
-badly need the other dlc packs so I can actually use cross save.

BigDug13

So if you are in an area that you cleared of enemies and have a full inventory and cannot pick up your new loot, go to a place to sell items very close by to free space, and come back, enemies will still be gone but your loot will disappear.

Weak. Really weak. I guess just drop stuff and take the better one and miss out on selling them?

Really unhappy now.

I have yet to experience this. Items in the barroom, items in other zones. I go to sell and go back and stuff is still there.

So I'm all the way to Sanctuary now and my thoughts are as follows:
-performs pretty bad, but not much worse than my PS3 version through my 60hz PC monitor. It's acceptable, and I can manage.
-however, often times the UI is sluggish and laggy and annoying.
-the bullet delay is really annoying.
-I keep accidentally hitting the back touch pad, so it would be great if they allowed us to map to specific dpad buttons instead of just the whole dpad. Either that or allow us to leave an action unmapped.
-enemy numbers and variety is fine, and I seem to be leveling pretty fast so they must have adjusted things.
-it's a little hard to aim but I'll get used to it.
-badly need the other dlc packs so I can actually use cross save.

Try setting the controller sensitivity to 5 or 4 down from the default of 6. It really, really, REALLY helps with aiming which is too difficult at the default setting that produces a slideshow when aiming with the framerate.

quabba

Oh man when you invert look in the options it also inverts gyro.

Does anyone else play with inverted look and have this problem. I don't remember it in Uncharted or Killzone

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Oh man when you invert look in the options it also inverts gyro.

Does anyone else play with inverted look and have this problem. I don't remember it in Uncharted or Killzone
Yeah, this seriously needs a patch. It's kinda useless as is, and I'm surprised they missed it.

MattyG

Banned
God, I hope that sales for this are strong or that the positive fan feedback prompts Sony to continue support for this game. It's so damn good, but I'm afraid that the negative reviews and middling Metcritic score have screwed any chance of getting support beyond a few small patches :(

spannicus

God, I hope that sales for this are strong or that the positive fan feedback prompts Sony to continue support for this game. It's so damn good, but I'm afraid that the negative reviews and middling Metcritic score have screwed any chance of getting support beyond a few small patches :(

I hope so. Im in love with the experience. It's not perfect but on a handheld? Its my favorite vita game.

RE_Player

Going to give my brother the physical copy I bought him in a couple days. What would you guys recommend as a class for someone who has never played Borderlands or really a lot of hardcore FPS games in general?

quabba

Yeah, this seriously needs a patch. It's kinda useless as is, and I'm surprised they missed it.

Yeah it sucks I like using gyro by this is throwing me out. Maybe I should just force myself to start playing everything with no invert... If my brain will adapt.

OmegaZero

Man, playing as Zero with the skills that increases bullet velocity and reload speed make this much more playable. I don't know if I'll be able to go back to other classes.

SirNinja

Just crashed on me for the first time in Three Horns Divide. I got a quest at the motel to repair the nearby pump. Crashed after I got the steam valve and was traveling in a vehicle to the second piece.

EDIT: Holy crap, lots of people are getting the exact same crash...hope that gets fixed.

Tigress

Ok, question about gold keys and Shift codes.

I gotta bunch of gold keys on my other character. I was under the impression the keys actually are associated with your account and not with any particular character. But... the game knows I've redeemed shift codes (it has my history) but claims my Vita character has no gold keys (I know I had a ton I hadn't redeemed on my PS3 character).

Going to suck if they stay with the PS3 character (I am now more advanced on my Vita character and since I knew more of what I was doing I think it's probably the better build overall).

Oh, and I guess I got lucky, haven't crashed once and I already finished the three pig's hotel quest :).

BigDug13

Ok, question about gold keys and Shift codes.

I gotta bunch of gold keys on my other character. I was under the impression the keys actually are associated with your account and not with any particular character. But... the game knows I've redeemed shift codes (it has my history) but claims my Vita character has no gold keys (I know I had a ton I hadn't redeemed on my PS3 character).

Going to suck if they stay with the PS3 character (I am now more advanced on my Vita character and since I knew more of what I was doing I think it's probably the better build overall).

Oh, and I guess I got lucky, haven't crashed once and I already finished the three pig's hotel quest :).

I guess the PS3 and Vita are stuck together and that's unfortunate. I guess that was the only easy way they could even implement the shift codes in the Vita version for all the shift codes that had already come out. I know different platforms can be redeemed on the same event, like a 5 key shift code came out and I redeemed the PC code on my PC copy and the 360 code on my 360 copy.

But I guess if you've already redeemed the code on the PS3 version and since it's the exact same code used on the Vita version, you're probably out of luck.

Tigress

I guess the PS3 and Vita are stuck together and that's unfortunate. I guess that was the only easy way they could even implement the shift codes in the Vita version for all the shift codes that had already come out. I know different platforms can be redeemed on the same event, like a 5 key shift code came out and I redeemed the PC code on my PC copy and the 360 code on my 360 copy.

But I guess if you've already redeemed the code on the PS3 version and since it's the exact same code used on the Vita version, you're probably out of luck.

Erm, that wasn't my question (I assumed you can't use the shift codes more than once on the same PSN account). Basically I have unused golden keys on my PS3 character but I had thought the keys were actually associated with your PSN account, not the character. Or are the keys you get from the shift codes associated with the next character you use after you redeem the shift code and you can only use them for that particular character?

UberTag

More scathing reviews for the game have popped up on Metacritic.

Iron Galaxy gets raked over the coals by USgamer and GamesRadar as they literally pour gasoline over their corpse delivering 40 scores that are typically reserved for Ben 10 games while Gaming Age chimes in with a 100.

USgamer

Borderlands 2 for the Vita is a case study in how a great game can get lost in a really bad port. There's just no getting around this version's raft of technical issues, nor the fact that the Vita doesn't have enough buttons to make it really work. Given more time, Iron Galaxy might have made it work. But as it is, even hardcore fans of the series should stay far away.

Did my part and bought the game last night. I'm really enjoying it so far. I can definitely get past the framerate and other problems. It's so nice being able to play this on the vita. It's a shame reviewers can't get past some technical issues and enjoy the fact that such a big game with huge levels can be put on a portable device and stay somewhat true to it's console conterpart. I hope reviewers don't discourage them from supporting and making more games like this.

nynt9

This is a pretty good port, it looks better than I expected. I wish the framerate was a bit better though. Honestly, they could cut down textures and particle effects a bit and it would still look great and that could potentially improve the framerate.

So I took everyone me advise and remapped buttons. Now though I realize my thumb accidentally presses the front tough while aiming fairly regulatory. Any tips on what is easiest to map to the front touch screen.

Rear I have cycle weapons on the left side and crouch on the right, I never hit the left side and occasionally touch the right but that's not a big deal.

Front has skill on left side and memes on right, I tried keeping grenades on the right side of the front touch, but I found that I was wasting/ killing myself with accidental grenades...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I took everyone me advise and remapped buttons. Now though I realize my thumb accidentally presses the front tough while aiming fairly regulatory. Any tips on what is easiest to map to the front touch screen.

Rear I have cycle weapons on the left side and crouch on the right, I never hit the left side and occasionally touch the right but that's not a big deal.

Front has skill on left side and memes on right, I tried keeping grenades on the right side of the front touch, but I found that I was wasting/ killing myself with accidental grenades...

Back left: Crouch (because I almost NEVER use it)
Back right: Melee
Front left: Grenades (I've not accidentally thrown one since I mapped it here)
Front right: Special/class ability (allows me to be mobile and still pop it)

So far, this has worked great. I am playing Siren at the moment, not sure if that matters.

Tigress

The guy on the left who reviewed it is sort annoying for me.

I gotta agree. I love his killzone comparison as if b2 could have done better when killzone was made specifically for the vita and b2 was just ported over. Also, I'm not good at telling frame rates and maybe that's why but I found b2 perfectly playable and fun on the vita and the low frame rates haven't bugged me. Also, I wonder if different vitas have different sensitivities on their rear touch pad cause I've had no issue with melee at all though sprint is a little finicky. He seemed to have issues getting it to recognize melee touches where as mine sometimes it seems to go off when I didn't even touch it.

matmanx1

Are folks who are having trouble with the back touch using any sort of grip attachment? Especially on the OG Vita, I find a good grip attachment to be necessary for pretty much everything.

I'm using the Hori one and I'm not having any difficulty with melee or sprint. Quite the opposite as I think it's fairly enjoyable to give a brisk tap to the Vita and watch as my guy punches an enemy and causes him to explode into chunks.

I gotta agree. I love his killzone comparison as if b2 could have done better when killzone was made specifically for the vita and b2 was just ported over. Also, I'm not good at telling frame rates and maybe that's why but I found b2 perfectly playable and fun on the vita and the low frame rates haven't bugged me. Also, I wonder if different vitas have different sensitivities on their rear touch pad cause I've had no issue with melee at all though sprint is a little finicky. He seemed to have issues getting it to recognize melee touches where as mine sometimes it seems to go off when I didn't even touch it.

Yeah, the problems he's having with the controls sound like he has something wrong with his vita. My sprint on the back is flawles. I've yet to have a problem with it and my back is actually quite dinged up.

He is also really adament on killzone and how well it runs saying that look at what the vita can do. Not only was it made just for vita but it is linear with small areas. The game is not even close to the same scale as BL2.

EDIT: Oh, Colin brings up that point

Props to Iron Galaxy, I cant help but smile at the fact that Im playing BL2 on the go. So far, it really seems close to the PS3 version IMO. I honestly thought the frame rate would be horrid but from playing it for nearly 2.5hours, not really that bad. Of course, I just finished the glacier area so it could get worse.

Not having problems with the default mapping. Well, except that I got to press near the edge of the screen to throw grenades or spawn my turret. Besides that, they aint that difficult to grasp. Oh and loving the motion control, sniping just got a whole lot easier.

BigDug13

These crashes are getting annoying.

As for the Legendary drops, I've had 2 in approx. 28 hours of playtime.

That's not unusual. The game is extremely rare with legendaries. They kept them "legendary" and extremely rare even moreso than when Diablo 3 was released on day 1.

I've played numerous characters to max level on the PC version and I think I've still only held half of the game's legendaries in my hands.

AwRy108

Are folks who are having trouble with the back touch using any sort of grip attachment? Especially on the OG Vita, I find a good grip attachment to be necessary for pretty much everything.

I'm using the Hori one and I'm not having any difficulty with melee or sprint. Quite the opposite as I think it's fairly enjoyable to give a brisk tap to the Vita and watch as my guy punches an enemy and causes him to explode into chunks.

I def. don't have issues with the back touch when I'm using the grips; but with them off, I can't stop bumping the side that's underneath the face buttons. Friggin' driving me crazy.

However, my biggest issue with the game is the UI: everything is SO INCREDIBLY TINY that I really do have to re-focus my vision every time I look back and forth between the game world and the menus.

Otherwise, the game is great! While I agree that the fps is noticeably lower than 30 in a low of cases, the game has yet to become unplayable for me. The gaming press really are a bunch of jack-asses in regards to how they reviewed this game. Is it perfect? Hell no. Is it the full Borderlands 2 experience on the go? Hell yes.

The Vita--no, scratch that--handheld gaming as a whole needs more excellent action-RPG's (anyone else remember how great Dungeon Siege - Throne of Agony was on the PSP???); and then we finally get one, yet the gaming press just bitches because it's not identical to the console version, and completely ignores are the virtues it offers to portable gaming.

Ugh, poor Vita really won't catch a break until the indie games start getting reviewed with the same frequency as triple-A software.

Tigress

The Vita--no, scratch that--handheld gaming as a whole needs more excellent action-RPG's (anyone else remember how great Dungeon Siege - Throne of Agony was on the PSP???); and then we finally get one, yet the gaming press just bitches because it's not identical to the console version, and completely ignores are the virtues it offers to portable gaming.

I fully agree here. I'd love to see more (I really really want Fallout even if that is unrealistic ;) ). I actually have an open world action RPG on my iPhone (Aralon HD I believe). It got panned for having lots of bugs (and yet after playing Fallout and Skryim it certainly was no worse than those two). I found it pretty fun (though it doesn't compare to action rpgs on consoles but mainly cause it had to have a lot simpler controls being that they had to rely on only what you could put on a touch screen without littering up the view too much).

Imagine if they had made that game for the Vita where they'd have more freedom to have more controls on it...

Top Bottom