• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

Its the same with me except I don't see how people are playing this and enjoying it. the frame rate and slowdown is downright unacceptable even digital foundry says it drops below 10fps and it's very noticeable even moving around is laggy because of it and then there's the texture pop in granted this is a problem with borderlands even on PC but its even worse when most textures were removed in the first place

If the patch doesn't work I want a refund -_-
I didn't watch the DF analysis, though I may just watch it to see where they are getting these numbers from. I am about 22 hours in, and I have yet to see it drop to 10fps. Definite stutters occasionally, but no biggie. I didn't die as a result, so big whoop for me. I am going all sniping for Zero, and even when the hiccups could affect sniping (which has happened a small number of times) I never once felt anything negative about it.

maouvin

Its the same with me except I don't see how people are playing this and enjoying it. the frame rate and slowdown is downright unacceptable even digital foundry says it drops below 10fps and it's very noticeable even moving around is laggy because of it and then there's the texture pop in granted this is a problem with borderlands even on PC but its even worse when most textures were removed in the first place

If the patch doesn't work I want a refund -_-

The sub-10fps drops happens only on Flynt's battle (doesn't help that he's one of the first big enemies you fight, of course). It can happen in Sanctuary too if you decide to run around as soon as you spawn there when opening the game while the whole shit is still loading. But it's not persistent. Game run mostly on 20~30 fps on open areas and 30+ on closed areas.

The patch won't do miracles, chap, so don't expect much. Have you tried lowering the right analog sensitivity? It eases the stutters a bit.

I've put in over 20 hours into this version.
My main character is Maya, and I tried out Mechromancer and Assasin as alternates.

I experienced my first crash while in bloodshot ramparts doing side missions yesterday.
What happened is some dialogue started but the audio never played and it caused it to hang.

Went back through no problem

Also, I hate those flying regenerative robot things

Saiyan-Rox

The sub-10fps drops happens only on Flynt's battle (doesn't help that he's one of the first big enemies you fight, of course). It can happen in Sanctuary too if you decide to run around as soon as you spawn there when opening the game while the whole shit is still loading. But it's not persistent. Game run mostly on 20~30 fps on open areas and 30+ on closed areas.

The patch won't do miracles, chap, so don't expect much. Have you tried lowering the right analog sensitivity? It eases the stutters a bit.

The stuttering is something I have no issue with its the slowdown that is the big issue for me its just unbearable and as you said sanctuary is one of the worst places for it any movement in there feels like I'm walking in syrup maybe its because I'm used to the PC version so much that I see these issues more but its still a lousy port. I know the patch probably won't do much but if it imrpovrs moving around not feeling sluggish I'll be happy enough

And the dlc they chose is lame tiny Tina's dlc is the best :(

nym

Neo Member
As a 35 year old Dad with a wife and 3 boys, portability is extremely important to me. I get every console but find most of my time on portables. Portables has literally allowed me to keep engaging in one of my favorite hobbies. I have to mentally schedule time to play the AAA games on the big screen, but with a portable I have tons more flexibility.

I guess only DadGaf and TravelGaf would understand.

This times 100. My kids are old enough now that I also have to plan out when i can access my TV. My portable systems are the main way I play, simply due to their portability.

Xaero

Neo Member
I'll be chasing a refund, too.

First time ever.

This isn't a variable platform like the PC with a range of hardware. You have a target hardware spec from Day 1. If the game can't perform acceptably on it, the game shouldn't be on the platform.

First time ever.

This isn't a variable platform like the PC with a range of hardware. You have a target hardware spec from Day 1. If the game can't perform acceptably on it, the game shouldn't be on the platform.

Ha. If oli oli is still shit and no refunds have happened I doubt this will. Good luck though, more borderlands for the rest of us.

rschauby

Banned
How do you access the DLC? I DL and installed all of it. Is it just baked into the game as side quests or are there specific places you need to get to?

Go to any fast travel station and you will have Oasis available. Oasis is the start of Scarlet DLC. You should also see Crater of Badassitude; This is the Torque DLC starting location.

Synched it up to the PS3 version for the first time, which is just the vanilla game that I got free with Plus, and it didn't carry over any of my Bad Ass purchases or skill point purchases. By that, I mean, I had 9 Bad Ass tokens to use and six skill points completely unassigned. Is this normal? I didn't play because that freaked me out.

BigDug13

Synched it up to the PS3 version for the first time, which is just the vanilla game that I got free with Plus, and it didn't carry over any of my Bad Ass purchases or skill point purchases. By that, I mean, I had 9 Bad Ass tokens to use and six skill points completely unassigned. Is this normal? I didn't play because that freaked me out.

Bad ass doesn't transfer anyway. You might have ended up with 9 badass points that appeared just based on milestones your character has already passed by nature of the level achieved or gear in your backpack as soon as you loaded him up. Not sure on skill points but it makes sense that maybe what you spent points on wasn't something they prioritized when doing the cross-save function.

Tigress

First time ever.

Seeing as most people who got it are enjoying the game, I think it is fine on the platform and I'm glad they made it.

magnetic

Traveling next week, don't know who to believe. I guess I can ebay if I can't handle the framerate.

Watch a couple of these videos for a while, especially during the enemy encounters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxaqMcdC-hY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvCXZBNXwUQ

I tend to go back and forth between "uncomfortable, but playable" and "oh god my eyes". I played this game twice for an hour today and I finally think I made up my mind: It´s giving me a headache and there was never a moment where the framerate DIDN´T bother me. Maybe you have a different level of tolerance for low framerates.

Other people don´t seem to notice it, which is fine. But after my playsessions today I felt queasy and my eyes started hurting. And this isn´t a matter of "if it isn´t 60fps it´s unplayable!" level of complaining, the framerate is actively messing with my eyes.

It makes me wonder if this is just a case of bad optimization. Need For Speed Most Wanted looks a lot better, runs smoother and still has an open world with no loading times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNGxy57vX_Q

Hopefully the patch will at least bring it up to a level where it doesn´t give me a headache, because the game is really fun otherwise.

BigDug13

Racing games, even open world ones, are WAY easier to pull off than a game like BL2. I mean look at Burnout Paradise running at 60fps open world while BL2 consoles dips below 30 all the time.

magnetic

Racing games, even open world ones, are WAY easier to pull off than a game like BL2. I mean look at Burnout Paradise running at 60fps open world while BL2 consoles dips below 30 all the time.

I guess that´s true, the general geometry in NFSMW is probably a lot simpler than in BL2.

And to be fair, BL2 is still one of the most fun games I´ve played on my Vita - I guess I won´t be able to play this in hour-long marathon sessions due to the framerate, but as a "20 minutes here, 20 minutes there" kinda game it´s fantastic.

Sleep mode + many shorter sessions + grind-heavy loot games is a very sweet combination, I racked up quite some hours on Soul Sacrifice and Dragons Crown (and Monster Hunter P3rd on PSP) this way as well.

Abdiel

I guess that´s true, the general geometry in NFSMW is probably a lot simpler than in BL2.

And to be fair, BL2 is still one of the most fun games I´ve played on my Vita - I guess I won´t be able to play this in hour-long marathon sessions due to the framerate, but as a "20 minutes here, 20 minutes there" kinda game it´s fantastic.

Sleep mode + many shorter sessions + grind-heavy loot games is a very sweet combination, I racked up quite some hours on Soul Sacrifice and Dragons Crown (and Monster Hunter P3rd on PSP) this way as well.

I know some hiccups in the frame rate on BL2 on my Vita... Nothing truly awful, but it's been bad enough that I notice. I can't seem to notice the difference between 30 and 60 fps, (every time someone tries to show me with some site or link, etc. I never can tell the difference), but sometimes it lags enough in BL2 I can see it's stuttered. It's pretty rare though, and I've definitely had fun. Actually put time into it, when I gave up on BL1 on my PS3 after only 2-3 hours.

magnetic

I guess I was having one of my usual cases of initial buyers regret. Technical issues are usually the things I notice the earliest, while the actual fun of playing (and understanding) the game kicks in a bit later.

And boy, this game is enjoyable. I´m even starting to like Claptrap, which I HATED at first. "JUST FOLLOW THE SOUND OF MY SOOTHING VOICE!" was the exact moment when I suddenly started to like him.

I was also a bit torn on the cel-shading look, but it´s starting to remind me of some of the old Gamecube games I used to own, like XIII or Viewtiful Joe.

I just started UVHM and decided to try out the two DLC packs because I haven't started them with my two previous playthroughs. So far, I'm still in Oasis and I die in six shots or something. Very frustrating.

I wish I could keep my level 50 Buffalo throughout my whole playthrough because it's my favorite weapon, but I guess I don't really have much of a choice to switch because UVHM is kicking my ass and I need to consistently check my gear and upgrade it if I want to survive this freaking difficulty. :/

petghost

Banned
I just started UVHM and decided to try out the two DLC packs because I haven't started them with my two previous playthroughs. So far, I'm still in Oasis and I die in six shots or something. Very frustrating.

I wish I could keep my level 50 Buffalo throughout my whole playthrough because it's my favorite weapon, but I guess I don't really have much of a choice to switch because UVHM is kicking my ass and I need to consistently check my gear and upgrade it if I want to survive this freaking difficulty. :/

in UVHM you need to 1. slag everything first before dealing damage and 2. use a moxxi weapon to keep your health above half as often as possible.

that second thing is called health gating, if your health is above half no attack in the game can one shot you no matter how low your max health actually is. the best option to do these 2 things at once would be a moxxi slag Rubi which you can get from rakkaholics anonymous. another great gun for health gating is Moxxi's hail which you can get from the bandit slaughter.

as for slag: slag stays on much longer in UVHM and the damage from other elements (including normal rounds) is MUCH higher than in normal and TVHM. its basically a must or enemies are gonna take forever to kill.

Hope this helps! UVHM kicked my ass so hard before i started to adjust my playstyle.

I'm not sure if I should post because I'll be bumping the thread and people will get angry at me for the lack of patch information but the poster above me just did it so I will too.

in UVHM you need to 1. slag everything first before dealing damage and 2. use a moxxi weapon to keep your health above half as often as possible.

that second thing is called health gating, if your health is above half no attack in the game can one shot you no matter how low your max health actually is. the best option to do these 2 things at once would be a moxxi slag Rubi which you can get from rakkaholics anonymous. another great gun for health gating is Moxxi's hail which you can get from the bandit slaughter.

as for slag: slag stays on much longer in UVHM and the damage from other elements (including normal rounds) is MUCH higher than in normal and TVHM. its basically a must or enemies are gonna take forever to kill.

Hope this helps! UVHM kicked my ass so hard before i started to adjust my playstyle.
Thanks for the info. I have never heard of health gating so it's nice to know there's more depth to the combat system.

But Borderlands 2 on Vita somehow doesn't indicates you if an enemy is slagged or not and that kind of prevents me from using slag. The game tells you if an enemy is hurt by corrosion and shock but not slag for some reason, so I hope the patch fixes this issue.

I swear, every time this topic gets bumped, I think the patch has finally been released.
I'm sorry. I'll go to bed.

leng jai

The framerate issues are exacerbated by the fact that the Vita controls are terrible for shooters even in ideal situations. Combine the two and it makes the game virtually unplayable, at least for me. If a PS4 game had the same framerate I'd still be able to play it properly, not that I'd be happy though.

BigDug13

What class? If Maya, Axton, Sal, you need to spec in a way that gets you free slag. For Sal that means having slag gun in left hand during gunzerk. The other 3 classes are a bit tougher since their slag isn't as guaranteed. Zero can throw Kunai and hope one of them is slag. Gaige pretty much absolutely needs to spec anarchy. Otherwise use slag grenades. Slag lets you do 3x damage instead of 2x once you reach UVHM so it becomes even more important to use as enemies have 4x hitpoints.

Tigress

Calling BS on this redoing 3 missions business. You constantly pass auto save stations and the game saves after you accept or complete a mission.

Um.... it saves your state (as in money, level, guns you have), but it makes you start over again at the beginning of the level. It's not noticeable when it happens in the open world parts (the ones that have the cars) because they are designed more for free roaming. But when you go in dungeons (the ones they send you in to complete a mission), it's very annoying if it crashes towards the end of the dungeon cause you have to start at the beginning again and go through all the mobs.

Um.... it saves your state (as in money, level, guns you have), but it makes you start over again at the beginning of the level. It's not noticeable when it happens in the open world parts (the ones that have the cars) because they are designed more for free roaming. But when you go in dungeons (the ones they send you in to complete a mission), it's very annoying if it crashes towards the end of the dungeon cause you have to start at the beginning again and go through all the mobs.

It also saves your progress through the mission.
You must have been in the ninja turtles area where my copy crashed. I had to go all the way through it again also, but my mission progress was saved.
Am I right or were you in a different area?

Hmmm I almost distinctly remember the game crashing on me (the one time it did) and not having to redo anything.

(Having to redo 3 missions is definitely bs though)

Tigress

It also saves your progress through the mission.
You must have been in the ninja turtles area where my copy crashed. I had to go all the way through it again also, but my mission progress was saved.
Am I right or were you in a different area?

No, I was in the animal preserve. It really hated me there (at least when I went into menus). Every single time it crashed it spawned me at the start (and from what I remember when you start up the game from scratch it spawns you at where the travel station is, least that's how mine acts. Not noticeable in open worlds cause you don't have some goal of getitng to the end, but stuff where they design it like a dungeon you have to find the end of, it sucks when it crashes).

It crashed on me when I was more than halfway through (just had one more area to clear really). Had to redo it all. It crashed on me after I killed the bird and had just opened the safes in the room after and when I re opened the game it respawned me at the beginning. And I think it might have crashed one more time earlier but it was so much towards the beginning it wasn't a huge deal so I didn't pay attention.

Oh, and I'm not the person who said he had to re run the dungeon three times. I am just affirming his statement that yes, it happens (and as far as I know the game is designed not to remember where you were and spawns you at the save point that you can travel from in each area. At least that is how it works for me every time I open the game from when I quit it or it crashes).

The only thing I've seen it use the non travel save points is for if I die I spawn at the last one. But not if I quit the game or the game crashes. It always spawns from the travel point in those cases. Which in the dungeons/missions, is always at the start.

I can't remember specifically where, it might have been the one hideout where you need a
Moxxi Pizza
to enter. There was one port a potty that would crash my game everytime I opened it. Took me 4 times before I realized I should just move on... Put me back about 2-3 large enemy filled rooms.

maouvin

I'm looking forward to the patch as much as y'all (just did Opportunity yesterday - slooowly, fearing it could crash if I ran around), but:

@giocorsi said:
Update#5: #Borderlands2 #Vita patch should release next week! Excited!

"Should".

anddo0

Calling BS on this redoing 3 missions business. You constantly pass auto save stations and the game saves after you accept or complete a mission.

Apologies, for I bring no patch news.

how do you call bs?

I was in Opportunity, did the main mission and all the side missions. The last missions I completed were "The Man Who Would Be Jack", "Home movie" and "Kill the foreman" quest.. After clearing the area, I entered the fast travel terminal, that's when the game crashed.

Upon reloading, the game put me back at the end of "Home movie", leaving me to redo "Kill the foreman" and "The Man Who Would Be Jack".

how is that bs? The game didn't save my progress.

BigDug13

how do you call bs?

I was in Opportunity, did the main mission and all the side missions. The last missions I completed were "The Man Who Would Be Jack", "Home movie" and "Kill the foreman" quest.. After clearing the area, I entered the fast travel terminal, that's when the game crashed.

Upon reloading, the game put me back at the end of "Home movie", leaving me to redo "Kill the foreman" and "The Man Who Would Be Jack".

how is that bs? The game didn't save my progress.

So by your own admission, the game did not make you redo 3 missions. :p

SmokyDave

It can feel that way sometimes though. I had a crash last night and although I only lost about fifteen minutes progress, I had completed two missions (not turned 'em in) and found a vehicle skin in that time. When I booted it back up neither mission was completed and I lost the vehicle skin.

Still, I'm so grateful to be able to play the game I just rolled my eyes and carried on.

Ezra2680

This may not be the correct place to ask this, but does anyone know of somewhere where this vita bundle is in stock and at the normal retail price of $200? Walmart and Bestbuy are both sold out, and Amazon has it listed at $250.

Tigress

This may not be the correct place to ask this, but does anyone know of somewhere where this vita bundle is in stock and at the normal retail price of $200? Walmart and Bestbuy are both sold out, and Amazon has it listed at $250.

No, sorry. But it's things like this that make me want to yell at Sony. It's like they want to make sure vita fails. You can't sell what you don't supply.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
any-day-now1.jpg

Shizuka was right, everytime I see this topic bumped I feel teased :p

anddo0

way to get technical.

I still had to place the maker for "home movie", lol.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you finish more than one mission turn it in. I tend to finish a mission and not turn it in because the damn loading screen takes forever when switching areas.

ZeroAKA

way to get technical.

I still had to place the maker for "home movie", lol.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you finish more than one mission turn it in. I tend to finish a mission and not turn it in because the damn loading screen takes forever when switching areas.
At least there weren't any timed delivery missions that you'd have to start all over again. Neither Rain nor Sleet nor Skags took me ~10 tries before I gave up and finished it in multiplayer. Are there any more of those missions in the game?

Top Bottom