• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 Vita |OT| 870 gajillion guns in your pockets

Omerta

Personally, I think too many of us over-analyse video games.

I've seen too many occasions when a game is released and the first post in a thread is "IS IT 60FPS?"

Surely, the first thought in people's head should be: "is it fun?"

It dawned on me a few years ago, I don't work for a magazine, I'm not a game reviewer, I don't create art and I don't work for a company that produces it... The only thing I should be giving a shit about is whether or not I'm having fun.

Now, I realise that this goes against the way the majority think on this website and that's fine... To tell you the truth, I feel sorry for all these people who refuses to experience anything that doesn't meet their preordained technical criteria.

Clearly, I can see that Borderland 2 chugs on vita. Does that stop it from being a kick ass, portable experience? Fuck no.

It's bloody brilliant :)

wilflare

can't wait for the performance patch to make a fun game even better
- but maybe I'm hyping myself up too much :/

but seeing BL2 PC (with all the fancy effects) and coming back to this port, you may kinda understand why the reviewers were so nasty. but still

wilflare

That's like someone getting cross at a corolla because it can't keep up with a ferrari

they forget that the ferrari can't do everything, especially in a busy city where you stop for a traffic light, etc every few kilometers. lol (you can't feel the speed)

like how you can't bring your PC and play on the go unlike the Vita :p (unless of course you have a nVidia Shield)

The deal was too good. Yea...I already own it digitally from a very generous fellow Gaffer from the BST thread. However this way I can free up all that space...plus I get that sweet box....double plus the best part, giving Iron Galaxy more money and sales figures. Over the last few days when I was playing it, I couldn't help but shake the feeling that I need to show them some love. Or something.
S8WQAMK.jpg
Can't say I have ever double dipped quite like this before. I did something similar for Dragon's Crown...but that was 2 different consoles. I tell ya though, it feels good.

DrFurbs

Played coop last night. Sanctuary was very choppy and some parts of the level but over all I actually really really enjoyed it.

I have run mapped to the back touch panel and melee too. Works well. This game is flawed but it's just amazing.

Ohnonono

This game does not scale! I found this out the hard way as I am kinda going right along the story quests. All of a sudden I am 4-5 levels lower than the enemies! Need to go do some side quests I suppose. I am level 16.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Is the Capt Flynt fight a low point for performance? It's been fun until now, but as I'm approaching the burning ship thing it's gotten very large and stuttery. This is where I put it down last time. Is it worth playing through, do things ease off once you get to Sanctuary?

SmokyDave

Is the Capt Flynt fight a low point for performance? It's been fun until now, but as I'm approaching the burning ship thing it's gotten very large and stuttery. This is where I put it down last time. Is it worth playing through, do things ease off once you get to Sanctuary?
If the framerate bothers you, it's going to keep bothering you. I don't know about specific high and low points but I'm well past the Flint fight and I'd describe the framerate as 'pretty fucking bad' throughout the whole game.

Fortunately, I'm really tolerant of low frame rates after spending a couple of years with a 'gaming' laptop.

Tigress

It's one of the worst areas of the game (I don't know if I've seen it get as bad as the first time I played against Flynt), other than co-op. Also, if you jump off the arena area and snipe at him from the area near where they give you tons of stuff before you reach the savepoint it keeps it from getting overloaded and runs better during the fight. I disagree with some one that it stays that bad consistantly. I found it much better most the time. Usually gets bad if a lot of baddies rush you like when you get near the end of a level (but Flynt seemed worse than others)

I won't say later in the game it doesn't get stuttery (it seems to have the Fallout issue of slowly getting worse though maybe not as bad. I think I'm halfway/more than halfway and noticing it some more).

Some areas are worse than others. The animal preserve ran ok but I noticed it crashed in menus more (that honestly annoys me more really than some stuttering).

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'd describe the framerate as 'pretty fucking bad' throughout the whole game.

Haha! I like your technical description. It hasn't really bothered me now I've stopped expecting Killzone, but this bit just feels awkward to play.

It's one of the worst areas of the game (I don't know if I've seen it get as bad as the first time I played against Flynt), other than co-op. Also, if you jump off the arena area and snipe at him from the area near where they give you tons of stuff before you reach the savepoint it keeps it from getting overloaded and runs better during the fight. I disagree with some one that it stays that bad consistantly. I found it much better most the time. Usually gets bad if a lot of baddies rush you like when you get near the end of a level (but Flynt seemed worse than others)

I won't say later in the game it doesn't get stuttery (it seems to have the Fallout issue of slowly getting worse though maybe not as bad. I think I'm halfway/more than halfway and noticing it some more).

Some areas are worse than others. The animal preserve ran ok but I noticed it crashed in menus more (that honestly annoys me more really than some stuttering).

Thanks. Yeah I noticed that the first few 'quests' weren't half bad, all told. It's just this bit, it feels like I'm underwater.

Tried to enjoy the first game on both PC and PS3, same with the 2nd one. Could never stick with it. Got it on the vita and I can't stop playing it, it's a shame about the frame rate because when it's good the game is really great. Fingers crossed this patch does something nice performance wise.

Had 2 crashes so far which is a little annoying.

I'm a level 18 or 19, going to be playing here in about 45 min. Any other similarly leveled hunters out there wanting to do some co op? I prefer lower levels, an maybe one to two levels above me too. I'm not a fan of havin some hulk power their way through my game, but then I don't mind being that hulk if anyone wants!

Saint9806

I just picked up the Borderlands Vita bundle yesterday. I played briefly last night but I was having alot of trouble with the controls. Doesn't seem solid to me. Or maybe I just have to get used to it. Anyone have some advice?

CoolZombie

I grabbed the game yesterday, was prepared for the worst after what some of the reviews said about the framerate etc...

I ended to playing for about 5 hours yesterday, yes the frame rate isn't perfect and there are some visual and control concessions but overall Iron Galaxy have done a fantastic job on the Vita hardware.

100% recommended to any Vita owner it's great :)

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I just picked up the Borderlands Vita bundle yesterday. I played briefly last night but I was having alot of trouble with the controls. Doesn't seem solid to me. Or maybe I just have to get used to it. Anyone have some advice?

I got used to the default controls easily after my first hour but others in here ended up changing the backpad controls to face buttons,their stick sensitivity, and some even use gyroscope.

CoolZombie

I changed run to circle and then crouch is on the left side of the back touch and that is my preferred setup once you get used to it. I think having run on a button works better when you are under fire from a lot of enemies.

Human_me

I'm not expecting the patch to fix all frame-rate issues.

At best I think it will give us an extra 2-3 fps.

Though better than nothing.

maouvin

Just got this, played on PS3 originally as Axton, what character would be best next, will be playing mainly solo.

Salvador seems good for solo'ing, but I'm only at 25. I had a level 72 Gaige on PC and don't remember having much trouble with her (I didn't do raids bosses, tho).

You can customize everything, except the d-pad. One of the usual configs for people here is putting crouch and weapon swap to the backtouch, and melee and sprint to the face buttons.

SmokyDave

Fuck about with the controls until you find a setup you're happy with. Most people are mapping their least used functions to the rear touch panels.

Personally, I found Nirvana by mapping crouch to the left rear touch, sprint to the right rear touch, and dropping the sensitivity down one notch. That said, I'm pretty adept with the rear touch so I didn't mind mapping fairly important controls to it.

Gotta say, the more I play the game the more I love it. I'm in awe that this has been squeezed onto a handheld device.

Slayven

Fuck about with the controls until you find a setup you're happy with. Most people are mapping their least used functions to the rear touch panels.

Personally, I found Nirvana by mapping crouch to the left rear touch, sprint to the right rear touch, and dropping the sensitivity down one notch. That said, I'm pretty adept with the rear touch so I didn't mind mapping fairly important controls to it.

Gotta say, the more I play the game the more I love it. I'm in awe that this has been squeezed onto a handheld device.

I was looking for a good use for the rear touchpad, cause my claw hands keep hitting it. Thanks

Saint9806

I got used to the default controls easily after my first hour but others in here ended up changing the backpad controls to face buttons,their stick sensitivity, and some even use gyroscope.

I changed run to circle and then crouch is on the left side of the back touch and that is my preferred setup once you get used to it. I think having run on a button works better when you are under fire from a lot of enemies.

Salvador seems good for solo'ing, but I'm only at 25. I had a level 72 Gaige on PC and don't remember having much trouble with her (I didn't do raids bosses, tho).

You can customize everything, except the d-pad. One of the usual configs for people here is putting crouch and weapon swap to the backtouch, and melee and sprint to the face buttons.

Thanks everyone!! I'll give it a try and see what I like best.

I'm rocking the default controls. Everything works very well for me. I can sprint and melee when I want/need to, and I feel I am accurate enough with the touch pad. Plus, I like the idea of having it like that due to the amount of meleeing/sprinting you do in this game, it will leave some buttons stress out :D

I am a little over 20 hours in, and I am with you Dave. The more I play, the more I want to play. It's maddeningly addictive. And with it being such a huge time sink of a game, having it be literally ready at a moments notice in the palm of your hands, anywhere, it completes the package. I am level 19 now, after my runs last night. I did a little too much exploring.
Just got to the new Sanctuary location, and beat that giant effin plant/ground boss
. MAN that dude effed my world up. Quick question too, regarding Sanctuary -
right before I put the faulty power core in the city, I saw an exclamation point on my map. I started racing there, but said "nah eff it, I'll get it in a few". Now...all hell broke loose and Sanctuary is now relocated. That was a one time misison, wasn't it?

maouvin

Don't worry, there are no missable quests in the game. Some might get blocked until you progress a bit more, but can still be done.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So I beat Flynt and now have a vehicle. No amount of hagiography is going to make this a good port, but the proof is in the pudding - every time I play it I don't want to stop. I'd rather have had less res and more smoothness. But hey. I am enjoying it.

Saiyan-Rox

So has the patch hit yet?

I borderline refuse to play this until the patch releases. I don't think i've played a game that's played this bad since the prince of persia PSP ports

Just checked, nothing yet. I don't think it necessarily has to come out alongside the store update or anything either so we may not see it until like, Friday

Patches usually come out the same day of the update, barely ever do they not. Or maybe I just really want it to come out and I'm imagining that.

The deal was too good. Yea...I already own it digitally from a very generous fellow Gaffer from the BST thread. However this way I can free up all that space...plus I get that sweet box....double plus the best part, giving Iron Galaxy more money and sales figures. Over the last few days when I was playing it, I couldn't help but shake the feeling that I need to show them some love. Or something.

Can't say I have ever double dipped quite like this before. I did something similar for Dragon's Crown...but that was 2 different consoles. I tell ya though, it feels good.

Is there a deal going on at Target? What do I have to do? I've been waiting to get this at a good price.

Is there a deal going on at Target? What do I have to do? I've been waiting to get this at a good price.
There was a deal, last week :( The deal was two parts - BL2 was 31.99, and then if you bought a $1 preorder card, you would get $15 off any game 39.99 & up. Since BL2 is normally 39.99, it applied, making the total purchase just under twenty bucks for the retail version. Plus, you got a reserve of a game you want (hopefully you want, I got Evolve :D ) that also nets you a $5 target card when you pick up the game there. From what I remember, both of those ended on 6/14 though :(

There was a deal, last week :( The deal was two parts - BL2 was 31.99, and then if you bought a $1 preorder card, you would get $15 off any game 39.99 & up. Since BL2 is normally 39.99, it applied, making the total purchase just under twenty bucks for the retail version. Plus, you got a reserve of a game you want (hopefully you want, I got Evolve :D ) that also nets you a $5 target card when you pick up the game there. From what I remember, both of those ended on 6/14 though :(

Yep deals are done. I posted about it when I got it, also I'm lvl 16 and 12. Anybody around the same levels want to play online sometimes? Add me, PSN in my gaf profile and make sure to add GAF to the message.

I'm waiting to see what this patch does before I pick this up, I can't stand bad framerates. Crossing my fingers.

Don't expect miracles man. Framerate is gonna stay pretty crummy probably, but damn its still fun. Sorry you can't handle them.

I'm waiting to see what this patch does before I pick this up, I can't stand bad framerates. Crossing my fingers.
It's pretty much was xKilltheMx said. Best I can say is this - If you played Fallout 3, and enjoyed it, despite how it played, you will enjoy Borderlands 2 for Vita. They are very similar in performance, and I put over 150+ hours in Fallout. BL2 plays beautifully most of the time in my eyes. Sometimes there are hiccups yes, and being the sniper clas, it can be annoying, but never has it gotten me to the point of raging, or wanting to quit. I just want to keep killing and looting.

PS - this is my first BL game also, I am loving every single second. Roughly 21 hours in now, level19~20, can't remember.

PPS -xKilltheMx FR sent! I'm a little above you, but I don't play every day. Today is GTA day for a bit, a new update came out for Online :D Sadly my online play can be very spotty, sometimes I only get 5-15 minutes to game at a time, so I don't do it too often, but I'm sure we could get something ironed out!

Edit - PPPS - I lied, xKilltheMx , we are already friends!

Damn, had no idea! E3 news spamming me day in and day out! :p

Can't wait for the patch! I clocked in over 100 hours and refuse to play UVHM multiplayer because of the extreme framerate drops. It's so infuriating to play this game. They should really fix the slag problem, because there's no hint whether enemies are slagged or not.

Top Bottom