• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

charsace

Watching Alvarez/Lopez and Alvarez has scored two vicious body shot knockdowns in the 3rd and 2nd rounds.

I can't believe people paid money for Chavez Jr. I've seen enough of the kid to know that he's overrated. Showtime card is just as good as the Chavez Jr. PPV. Hell, Alvarez is a better fighter than Chavez Jr. and should be the one fighting Martinez on tonight's PPV.

jchap

Shitty stoppage in the Alvarez fight. Canelo was clearly winning, but Lopez was having his best round and they stop it with seconds left? Awful.

Alverez is fun to watch but until he stops fighting cans and guys from weight division(s) below himself I cant take him seriously. For now he is just a golden boy cash cow.

see5harp

Martinez is playing with his food at this point. At least Kelly Pavlik uses his jab and punch volume. Chavez is following him around the ring and just seems like he's going to go the distance.

Alverez is fun to watch but until he stops fighting cans and guys from weight division(s) below himself I cant take him seriously. For now he is just a golden boy cash cow.

Exactly. I was rolling when the announcer said "He hasn't been brought along soft, he's fought ALPHONSO GOMEZ and Shane Mosley!"

Yes. 12 rounds with Sugar Shanes corpse is sure a test.

Meanwhile, Martinez is humiliating Jr.

Holy fuckballs, that was an insane last round.

Fantomex

It's like watching his father fight Meldrick Taylor in a way. You can see how much the sport has evolved, and how stubborn they are at just grinding it out with their same pose, same counters and same boring, inefficient style that peaked when Azumah Nelson was still fighting. I think anyone could of told you that Chavez would get destroyed in this fight.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That stupid headlock was stupid. Martinez shouldn't have fallen for this, I knew Chavez was keeping energy for that last round.

But glad Martinez wins it.

Martinez schooled Chavez just like he said he would. Chavez celebrating at the end after being beaten so bad was embarrassing! Get down from the ropes kid, you're a joke.

Complete domination and shouts for a rematch are laughable. True champ reigns.

see5harp

I think a rematch is warranted. I just hope that Chavez starts throwing earlier. Sergio might not be so quick to stick his head out there. It seems like he got lulled into thinking Chavez was done and in boxing your night can be over very quickly. It was a domination in terms of the scorecard but the late knockdowns were super exciting.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I think a rematch is warranted. I just hope that Chavez starts throwing earlier. Sergio might not be so quick to stick his head out there. It seems like he got lulled into thinking Chavez was done and in boxing your night can be over very quickly. It was a domination in terms of the scorecard but the late knockdowns were super exciting.

We giving rematches for winning two rounds now?

No need for one, Sergio outboxed him for ten straight rounds. The same thing would happen again.

Baby Milo

I wouldn't be mad at Sergio for picking up another check. I just think we would get the same exact result. He is on another level compared to Jr.

lol

SH69R.jpg

Jr. just realized the distance between an average fighter and one of the top p4p fighters in the world. He's got a long way to go.

Just caught a delayed broadcast of Canelo fight. It was stupidly one-sided, and we're still waiting on Alvarez to take on a true fighter to see what is he really made of.

We giving rematches for winning two rounds now?

No need for one, Sergio outboxed him for ten straight rounds. The same thing would happen again.

I wouldn't be mad at Sergio for picking up another check. I just think we would get the same exact result. He is on another level compared to Jr.

Indeed.

Chavez would eat 10,000 more jabs. He was lucky Sergio got a bit careless and he knocked him down, or it would've been a 120-108 embarrasment for him. JCCJr will never be taken seriously from now on.

I have to admit, I was kind of rooting for a Chavez Sr./Meldrick Taylor repeat in that 12th round. Would have been amazing. That last round gave Jr a huge false sense of confidence though. Only reason that happened is because Sergio was exhausted from picking him apart for 11 rounds, and didn't do what most fighters do in that situation which is coast for the last 2-3 rounds. Chavez JR was simply exposed as a very one-dimensional fighter. When he is able to bully guys around, use his size, force them into the ropes and wear them down with body and head shots, he looks great. Martinez is the krytponite for that style though. And unless Father Time starts knocking at his door soon, I don't see any reason to believe a rematch won't play out much in the same way, only without the 12th round dramatics. He's just too fast and too skilled. Chavez actually fought his fight. It's not like he was having an off night or wasn't himself. That's how he fights and he couldn't touch Sergio for 11 rounds.

Count me in for NO rematch. Chavez got clowned for 11.5 round and had his shot at catching lightening in a bottle and missed. Martinez needs to move on to bigger/better things, and JR needs to go learn how to cut off the ring.

Count me in for NO rematch. Chavez got clowned for 11.5 rounds, bad his shot at catching lightening in a bottle and missed. Martinez needs to move on to bigger/better things, and JR needs to go learn how to cut off the ring.

I wouldn't have a problem with Martinez taking the rematch. It would be a HUGE pay day and he's probably got a limited amount of those left at his age. It's Jr. who I think would be done a disservice by a rematch. He needs to move up in weight and try beating up more cans. He cannot hang with the best of the best. Another lopsided loss like this will send his career into a spiral.

see5harp

While I don't think Chavez Jr. would win, I just don't know who can fight Sergio at this point. Isn't that crazy strong guy from Borat Country fighting at Middleweight? I know Sergio will pretty much fight anyone but hearing that he was making far less than Chavez Jr. got me really depressed.

Top Bottom