• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Chavez looked so starved at the weigh-in. He's gonna balloon up tomorrow.

Most likely. He is going to be close to 180 tomorrow. I think Martinez usually is around 165 fight night. I am predicting a total annihilation of Chavez tomorrow. Martinez is too quick and accurate...Chavez is going to take to many flush shots. My prediction is Martinez within 8 either by KO or stoppage.

Satyamdas

Banned
Most likely. He is going to be close to 180 tomorrow. I think Martinez usually is around 165 fight night. I am predicting a total annihilation of Chavez tomorrow. Martinez is too quick and accurate...Chavez is going to take to many flush shots. My prediction is Martinez within 8 either by KO or stoppage.
This is what I see happening as well. I am disturbingly hyped for this match for some reason. Part of it is wanting to wash the bad taste of Arum's last shitfest out of my mouth, and part of it is me wanting to see the old dude put in work on Chavez's lazy ass. And the biggest part is that I can't wait to drink the salty tears of all my friends who are riding Chavez's jock like morons. Dude is going to get stomped out.

Hope the Canelo/Josesito fight is good as well, although I see that one being much more one-sided for Canelo.

jchap

This is what I see happening as well. I am disturbingly hyped for this match for some reason. Part of it is wanting to wash the bad taste of Arum's last shitfest out of my mouth, and part of it is me wanting to see the old dude put in work on Chavez's lazy ass. And the biggest part is that I can't wait to drink the salty tears of all my friends who are riding Chavez's jock like morons. Dude is going to get stomped out.

Hope the Canelo/Josesito fight is good as well, although I see that one being much more one-sided for Canelo.

I think both fights will be one sided. Chavez looked zombified and Lopez looked doughy like Marquez when he moved up to fight Floyd. Both of these fighters would stand little chance even if they were in pristine condition.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

Yes, that's probably what's going to happen.

JLG-

wLzzYl.jpg

Chavez looked drained as fuck yesterday.

JLG-

That's how he always looks pre-fight, then he balloons up to Light heavyweight.

I thought Chavez would be much taller than Sergio though.

Chavez is only like 2-3 inches taller + he wasn't wearing shoes in the face off and Sergio was.

TheNatural

My Member!
Big night of fights tonight, after last week it's nice to see some positives for boxing for a change. Time to see if junior is even a shell of what his father was, one of my favorite boxers ever.

Amagon

I might have to go out to the bars tonight to check out the Chavez/Martinez fight. Only problem is I don't which bar will have the fight.

I hope Martinez wrecks him, but if Jr can keep it close, they may job him on the cards.

I'm rooting for Lopez, too. I just want to see Canelo deal with some adversity in a fight, he's never really been tested.

DonCuco

Chavez needs to to be relentless on the body shots right from the start, and punish Martinez's 37 year old body and take him out of his game plan.

see5harp

I don't think Martinez will win it via 2nd round knockout but he is going to land so many clean shots that I think Jr's face will be destroyed by round 7-8. I don't think Jr. can win on the cards because all he does is walk forward. He's Mexican Kelly Pavlik. I admire his chin and his bodywork but he's not a champion. He hasn't fought more than a couple decent opponents and all of his opponents have been smaller.

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't think Martinez will win it via 2nd round knockout but he is going to land so many clean shots that I think Jr's face will be destroyed by round 7-8. I don't think Jr. can win on the cards because all he does is walk forward. He's Mexican Kelly Pavlik. I admire his chin and his bodywork but he's not a champion. He hasn't fought more than a couple decent opponents and all of his opponents have been smaller.

Sounds like things said about his father, but don't underestimate a big game fight.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I don't the fighters of the main match. Who should I root for? I usually root for the good guys.

jchap

I don't the fighters of the main match. Who should I root for? I usually root for the good guys.

I'll summarize the players:

Julio Caesar Chavez Jr.: Entitled son of greatest Mexican fighter ever. Reputation for being lazy, undisciplined. Fought mostly tomato cans to build up an undefeated record. Recently switched to Freddie Roach and began stepping up the competition to gate keepers and has looked pretty good in some fights. Primary strategy: Block punches with iron chin and throw body punches. A pressure fighter.

Sergio Martinez: Former cyclist who started boxing in mid 20s. Lost a couple of "questionable" decisions to fighters he was brought in to lose to. Beat Kelly Pavlik to get world title and destroyed Paul Williams with one punch knock-out. Relies on athleticism and uses a very unorthodox style with his hands often at his side. A counter puncher.

If you aren't Mexican, than Martinez is considered the "good guy"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Go Alcine! Apparently he's from Montreal.

edit: Well so much for that. LOL 1 round defeat!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
WTF did Martinez (or was it Chavez?) have tissue up his nose? Even the commentators couldn't explain why. Pre-cuts to bleed more easily?

Top Bottom