• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Martinez should move up and fight Froch, Bute, or Ward.

JR should move up and fight Boxcar Willie then cash in.

I'd understand Sergio taking the rematch for the $. I think he could make just as much fighting Bute in Canada though.

Slizz

Was able to get the Canelo match in HD so watched that the entire time with the Chavez fight in the background.

What an ending to the Chavez Martinez fight. Pretty excited for a rematch.

This is the most boxing I've watched in one night(2 main events) and neither involved Paq or Mayweather.

Martinez went for the finish in the last 2 rounds and gassed himself. It was a careless mistake on his part.

People are giving too much credit to Chavez Jr. He needs to fight people like Kirkland and such who fight inside, get hit and make him look good.

Canelo fight was shameful. What a joke bringing up a 140lb fighter to 154.

BadAss2961

Martinez went for the finish in the last 2 rounds and gassed himself. It was a careless mistake on his part.

People are giving too much credit to Chavez Jr. He needs to fight people like Kirkland and such who fight inside, get him and make him look good.

Canelo fight was shameful. What a joke bringing up a 140lb fighter to 154.
Exactly. I hope Chavez Jr. and his team don't put too much stock in that round. He was outclassed.

I enjoyed the Canelo fight. Big props to Josesito for going all out.

Can't see the pic. Can someone rehost it please?

ibl7wfTqhmolGV.jpg

AlexBasch

It was delicious to listen the commentators from TV Azteca being heartbroken and basically cheering Chavez while Martinez was hammering him badly, they thought he could win the fight with that knockdown? Hilarious.

He's just a spoiled brat who is clinging to his father's name. So silly.

Also, loved that Drederick Tatum-Homer mockup. Shit was just so perfect, hahaha.

That aside, I expected more from Lopez, while I think that Canelo is a (slighly) better fighter than Chavez, I think he needs better fighters to establish himself as a respected boxer.

Nah, Canelo's really talented. He just hasn't been tested yet.
Which is why he needs better fighters, at least he grabbed the guy who broke Vicious Ortiz jaw and has an actual career. He shouldn't settle for lesser fighters from now on to get quick, meaningless victories, at 22 years old he's clearly on a good form, hope he keeps it up and improves with quality fights.

THIRD EDIT CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION: Apparently Bob Arum has stated that he wants the rematch on Cowboys Stadium in 2013. Just for that last round? Really? Well, I wouldn't mind seeing Chavez Jr. destroyed again.

For those outside of Mexico: Omar Chavez, another son of Chavez Sr. is on a rough patch lately, he got beat quite badly (twice) against Jorge Páez Jr, the son of another mexican boxing legend. It seems that Top Rank or whoever arranges the fights for the Chavez brothers ran out of bad boxers for the boys to punch.

alterno69

Banned
Canelo would beat Chavez worse than maravilla did, he is much more powerfull and talented than chavez. Problem is Televisa and De la Hoya are really milkong him and there's no way they risk him at his age, he's just too young.

Canelo vs Maravilla would be a better fight than what we saw today for sure, i think Canelo even has a shot at beating Maravilla.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Almost had a stroke on Round 12. lol

Maravilla is too boss.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Total domination till the the 12th. That gave me Oh shit...no..no moment. I can see how they can sell a rematch but it would pretty much be the same. Maravilla doesn't lie Chavez was unrecognizable after the fight. As for the Canelo fight I knew it was a farce and didn't pay much attention to it.

Messi

I watched this ESPN 30 for 30 show about Ali vs Holmes. It really upset me. I didn't like seeing Ali like that. I had to turn it off 15 mins from the end. I'd never seen Ali on the downside of his career, what I want to know it why did doctors allow Ali to fight after his checkup at the clinic , in the footage it's clear something is wrong :(

Satyamdas

Banned
What a great night of boxing.

Chavez was exposed unsurprisingly, and count me in the "no rematch" camp. His performance for 11.5 rounds was pathetic and undeserving of a rematch. Martinez on the other hand fought brilliantly, apart from getting careless and gassing himself in the end. He very nearly let that win slip away.

Santa Cruz's body work and solid technical skills got me all hot and bothered. Maidana is still a dirty fighting motherfucker but I'll be goddamned if that dude is not game at all times. What a fucking war that was. Best fight in recent memory.

Canelo fight was not really close since Canelo was never in any real trouble, but Lopez showed an unreal amount of heart, not only fighting a dude 10 times his size but getting up twice after having his liver shattered and stomach rearranged. I honestly believe Lopez fought a better fight than Ortiz would have. Disgraceful stoppage since he was not being pounded on when it was stopped, and the round was 5 seconds from ending. He very likely would have been KO'd in the next round, but after he gets up twice from some ungodly punishment you stop the fight on one solid punch and 2 misses at the end of a round? Fuck outta here, Cortez. I can't express how much respect I have for Josesito Lopez, though. Dat heart.

Yeah the fight was kinda janky due to the weight/size difference and Lopez not being as raw a talent as Canelo, but it was still a nice showcase for why he is being hyped up the way he is. Dude is incredibly fast and accurate, and he hits hard as fuck. I think it's pretty obvious Canelo is the real deal, now it's time to step up and start fighting the big boys.

abuC

Santa Cruz's body work and solid technical skills got me all hot and bothered. Maidana is still a dirty fighting motherfucker but I'll be goddamned if that dude is not game at all times. What a fucking war that was. Best fight in recent memory.

Maidana should be on the undercard of every main event, the dude is always involved in some epic fight.

liger05

Chavez doesn deserve a rematch. They said the fight could of done 500,000 PPV's which would be very impressive but I dont think those same people would wanna buy a 2nd fight when the 1st was so one sided.

Chavez doesn deserve a rematch. They said the fight could of done 500,000 PPV's which would be very impressive but I dont think those same people would wanna buy a 2nd fight when the 1st was so one sided.

You'd be surprised. I think a lot of the people who were rooting for Chavez going in bought into that 12th round as much as he did. And there probably isnt a bigger money fight for Sergio to take. It makes huge sense for both sides even though I don't think a rematch will be any more competitive unless Sergio loses a step over night.

You'd be surprised. I think a lot of the people who were rooting for Chavez going in bought into that 12th round as much as he did. And there probably isnt a bigger money fight for Sergio to take. It makes huge sense for both sides even though I don't think a rematch will be any more competitive unless Sergio loses a step over night.

I think Martinez is going to be out a bit with torn ligaments in his knee. Put Chavez in with Pavlik, then rematch Sergio in the summer. I don't think there needs to be a rematch, but, I wouldn't begrudge Martinez a big payday.

Getting excited for Burns vs Mitchell tomorrow night!

A lot depends on which Mitchell turns up, if he is at his best it could be a real Fight of the Year candidate. Obviously being Scottish I'm backing Ricky, think his conditioning will stand him in good stead for the championship rounds, but Im sure there will be a few hairy moments too.

Povetkin vs. Rahman. For a title. My god. Considering how shot Rahman looked against Wlad FOUR YEARS AGO, I can't believe that crap was even sanctioned.

The whole division would do well to start having a lot of the also rans and kinda sorta top guys start to face each other. One of the networks should organize a tournament for a shot at Wlad/Vitali. I'm sure ESPN could scrounge up 4 or 8 peeps.

Top Bottom