• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

BadAss2961

That's for sure. Although I don't really like him acting like a second Mayweather. One is enough, thank you.
He really is like Floyd all over again, he even fights similar to him. Similar defense, though not as good as Floyd's. But Broner's probably better offensively.

jchap

Broner has great skills, great power, and is a lot of fun to watch. One problem is he acts like a d-bag and is hard to root for.

BadAss2961

Question for Boxing GAF: Why does Mayweather Jr. only fight once a year and always in the month of May?
Umm... His career is winding down, and he only takes big money fights at this point... And looking at the dates, he doesn't always fight in May, just often. Mayweather, I guess.

Or is there some sort of joke answer to this question?

Umm... His career is winding down, and he only takes big money fights at this point... And looking at the dates, he doesn't always fight in May, just often. Mayweather, I guess.

Or is there some sort of joke answer to this question?

Genuine curiosity. with the exception of his jail sentence, It seems as thou he fights in May with Shane Mosley and Cotto. After that, he just goes off the radar until next May.

Tom_Cody

So many fights over the last two weeks. I've been catching up slowly thanks to me DVR. All I have left is last Friday's shobox card.
--

Broner really put on a show. The infighting exhibition he put on in the 5th round reminded me of James Toney in his prime (160-168). Boxing doesn't get any better than that.

It is so exciting to see a rising fight come in against an established guy and do things to him no one has ever done before.

I would pay for Broner's next fight on PPV.

Tom_Cody

Genuine curiosity. with the exception of his jail sentence, It seems as thou he fights in May with Shane Mosley and Cotto. After that, he just goes off the radar until next May.
That is simply how the economics of the sport work. Floyd was the highest paid athlete in the world last year for a reason. Fighting once a year serves a few purposes.

In boxing, revenue increases by orders of magnitude as the prominence of fights/fighters increase. Fighters on ESPN typically make ~$50,000 for a main event fight. Fighters on Shobox and BAD typically make $300,000-$500,000 per fight. Fighters on WBC and SBC typically make $1M-$3M. Fighters on PPV typically make $3M-$10M per fight. Floyd and Pac are currently making $30M-$40M per fight.

In order to continue to earn that amount of money, each of those fights needs to be plausibly sold to the public as major events. Fighting once a year creates an artificial scarcity for the product he provides. It becomes an event in and of itself to see him fight because he does it so rarely. The bigger issue than that though is simply the limited number of top level guys he can possibly face. How many of these potential fights would you actually pay for:

http://boxrec.com/ratings.php?sex=m&division=Welterweight
http://boxrec.com/ratings.php?sex=m&division=Light Middleweight

As of right now, maybe Saul Alvarez, Timothy Bradley, and a Cotto rematch? He could potentially fight all three of those guys in one year, but what would he do after that? By spacing out his fights, other fighters can rise in prominence and grow to the point of being potential opponents. No one would have cared about a Cotto fight immediately following his loss to Margarito and yet that went on to be a giant event and a fantastic fight. Who knows who we'll be clamoring for in a year or two.

Tom_Cody

Why should anyone care about Pac vs Marquez 4......how does this make sense.....boxing matchmaking is horrible sometimes
I agree that a 4th fight is a bit of a stale pitch but I don't think it's totally unreasonable that the fight was made.

There is a very strong argument that Pac lost their last fight. He is still the consensus #1 or #2 in the world. A Marquez win would send shockwaves through the boxing world.

Beyond that, each of their previous fights was fantastic. They share one of the all time great rivalries in the history of boxing.

Boxer Hector Camacho has been shot in Puerto Rico:

http://www.boxingscene.com/hector-camacho-shot-puerto-rico-critical-condition--59574

Reports can't confirm if he's dead or alive; mixed reports. I actually saw this accident on the way back to pick up my sister at the sub station. Saw a body and a Mustang, but never imagined it wsa him

Just saw this. They say a 2nd man was killed and Hector is in critical condition.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/8658399/hector-macho-camacho-shot-listed-grave-condition

He was a cocky a-hole in his heyday but damn if he wasn't entertaining to watch. The Camacho/Chavez fight was probably my earliest memory of a "Super Fight" (aside from every Tyson v Random Scrub). Man what a tragic year it's been for boxing.

Kikarian

He must of broke a rib.

He seemed tired from round 5 on wards. It looked like he has lost some muscle around his stomach too. Hence the reason he went down.

JM6.jpg

More Pics:
http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-marquez-muscular-aims-knock-pacquiao-out--59618

Freddie Roach's response to the pics:
"If Marquez's Body is Natural, I'll Kiss His Ass"

Roach claims that he wanted both boxers to take part in random drug testing, but Top Rank was not on board. Top Rank CEO Bob Arum told the paper that neither side ever made a request for random testing.

Full Article:
http://www.boxingscene.com/roach-if-marquezs-body-natural-ill-kiss-his-ass--59816

Haven't watched a fight in while, but how is Trout undefeated? Guys hands are slow, and he has no real power.

This is his first real step up. Not too hard to stay undefeated against Boxcar Willie.

Those scores were a lot farther apart than I had it, still had Trout winning by 1 or 2 rounds.

This whole thing has been really disrespectful towards Trout. He's the champ but comes out first, introduced first, and then they talk to Cotto before him after he wins. Should have told Jim Grey to fuck off.

TheFatOne

Because he hasn't fought anyone of note except for a Cotto, and he was good enough to beat him.

Cotto's out of his prime though.

This is his first real step up. Not too hard to stay undefeated against Boxcar Willie.

Those scores were a lot farther apart than I had it, still had Trout winning by 1 or 2 rounds.

This whole thing has been really disrespectful towards Trout. He's the champ but comes out first, introduced first, and then they talk to Cotto before him after he wins. Should have told Jim Grey to fuck off.

Makes sense to me. Guy fights a bunch of scrubs to inflate his record, and then his first "real" match is against a boxer out of his prime that is still considered to be a solid boxer. Cotto looks slow as hell now. Which is not surprising. Haven't followed Cotto since the second Margarito fight, but I wouldn't be surprised if he retires in the next few years.

lol dat Adalaide Byrd.
As bad at judging Boxing as she is MMA, friend.

And damn, Marquez must be on that horse meat diet.

Also, FatOne: Cotto just gave Mayweather the toughest fight of his career, he has one bad fight after and now he should retire?

Tom_Cody

As bad at judging Boxing as she is MMA, friend.

And damn, Marquez must be on that horse meat diet.

Also, FatOne: Cotto just gave Mayweather the toughest fight of his career, he has one bad fight after and now he should retire?
The real question is, where does Cotto go from here? His best weight was 140. At 154 he has major height and reach disadvantages over everyone, his punch does not carry the same weight with these bigger guys, and he has slowed considerably from his prime. There are more than 5 guys at 154 that I would pick over him. It's really a shame that he ended up facing such a bad style match-up in Trout ahead of his potential fight vs. Canelo. That would have been a really appealing fight.

To go back to my original premise, where does Cotto go from here? He is still probably good enough to win at least one more alphabet title. Cornelius Bundrage has a belt and he is made to order for Cotto. Cotto will probably take ~6 months off and then go for a title belt. Assuming he wins, a shot against Canelo (or whoever is on top at that point) will be a very marketable fight.

I think the main point here is that Cotto isn't shot, he just isn't going to be an undisputed champion again. Going forward he will need to choose his fights very deliberately.

Top Bottom