• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

jchap

I had the score much closer than the actual judges. Quillian was clutch to get to KDs in the 12th though

Also I wish Smoger could ref every fight

The M.O.B

ktfo2qxaxz.gif

LQX

Wow, just read the news. Still does not seem confirmed though but looks like he will pass.

Edit-
Damn, R.I.P Emanuel.

JLG-

I don't think he has passed.

2:38PM EDT October 25. 2012 - The family of Emanuel Steward, the Godfather of Detroit boxing, has asked for prayers and comfort as the 68-year-old boxing icon recuperates from surgery.

"At this point, I'm asking EVERYBODY to LEAVE US ALONE so that we can comfort and communicate with Emanuel," Steward's sister Diane Steward-Jones emailed to the Free Press on Thursday.

"His surgical team just dropped by and scoffed at the reports he is dead."

Citing friends of Steward, the Free Press incorrectly reported earlier today that Steward was dead. The Free Press regrets the error, and we apologize to the Steward family.

Steward nurtured and guided the likes of Thomas Hearns, Hilmer Kenty and Milton McCrory to world titles in the 1980s at the Kronk Gym on McGraw in Detroit.

He has been hospitalized since September and underwent surgery for what his sister called diverticulitis, a stomach disorder.

A prayer vigil was held Sept. 23 in Walled Lake, Mich., leading those concerned to believe the illness may be more serious.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-of-emanuel-stewards-death-premature/1657793/

edit: Looks like he has indeed passed. Just tweeted by ABC detroit:

https://twitter.com/wxyzdetroit/status/261551268688977920
WXYZ Detroit ‏@wxyzdetroit
Legendary Detroit boxing trainer Emanuel Steward has passed away at the age of 68. Confirmed by his sister, Diane. Details to follow.

Damn RIP Emanuel Steward. :(

abuC

Very sad. RIP. Great trainer and fantastic on commentary when he would get all excited over the action. I'll never forget him during Toney/Jirov, "Look at this! MY GOD LOOK AT THIS!!"

"check hook, a check left hook"

When Floyd knocked down Ricky Hatton, then Floyd post fight was saying how he threw a check hook. You could just hear his appreciation for skill when he watched the great fighters in the ring.

God dammit this sucks. I always liked hearing his insight during HBO Boxing shows and he turned around a few fighters' careers for the better in his time.

BadAss2961

Sorry for the double post.

Fight is over, should be a unanimous decision for Klitschko with (at least) 11 rounds for Klitschko. Wach had one or two good moments, but was completely dominated throughout the fight and outside of one moment in the 5th round stood no chance. Referee should've stopped the fight in the 8th round. If you missed the fight you missed nothing except for the shitty promotion of a Rocky musical.

Edit:
Yup, crystal clear UD for Klitschko.
Wach was garbage, but he has to be the toughest guy i've ever seen. Wlad landed at will for 12 rounds and couldn't really hurt him.

jchap

Santa Cruz looks really really good. I really wish the great fighters of this division weren't isolated from eachother by GB and TR.

abuC

Don't mind the avatar, I am in no way biased, Lara won this of course, by like 20 rounds I think...maybe 40 rounds.

jchap

Don't mind the avatar, I am in no way biased, Lara won this of course, by like 20 rounds I think...maybe 40 rounds.

What does your avatar have to do with it? Lara is repping Mexico now!

Edit: A draw... rematch incomming... Lara was on his way to winning however.

jchap

I've never seen a fighter get away with hitting low more than Mares.... That said I want him to win cause the last thing Donaire needs for an opponent is someone else who is ultra defensive.

120-106?! GB judge clearly

Showtime card was fun. Mares needs to stop hitting low.

HBO card was very LOL BOXING, especially the main event of boringness and then a draw after a clash of heads. That's how I usually expect any match I'm actually looking forward to to end.

I like Seth Mitchell. Not a lot of boxing skill, but he's trying his ass off in there. Nearly got turded last time out so I hope he has learned and looks better tonight.

Fully expecting Broner to win, but I don't think it's going to be as easy as the odds think it will.

HBO in 5 minutes gentlemen.

flem1

Seth Mitchell by KO.

I think Demarco gives Broner a tough fight.

On WealthTV I'm rooting for Brian Viloria by TKO in 10 :)

Top Bottom