• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

abuC

Pacquiao's Mom just went in the ring to get to the finishing touches of the curse.

PaqBrad2.gif

see5harp

IDK he might start roiding (again) now that he can afford to buy PED's. Unless Bob takes all of this purse.

He's not as fast. The only way he'll knock someone out is if it's someone like Hatton now. To be honest I think he could have knocked out Brandon Rios who is basically mini Margarito with an amazing chin.

Yo, she put that old Oprah from The Color Purple hex on mans.

Helluva fight, though. Manny impressed me considering the built-in physical power advantage Bradley had. And Bradley disappointed the fuck out of me with all that showboating as Manny was taking rounds from him. Idunno. I feel like with all the fucking training they do for these singular fights...

...you'd be a little more about the fucking business of winning. Dancing on Manny like he ain't shit isn't convincing judges who are counting punches, brah. Just fight.

I think some folks predicted pacquiao's demise a bit too early after the last Marquez fight. He beat a younger fighter that just came off two huge wins pretty soundly to me. People wonder why he started to showboat... I think it was simply because he was winded at that point. Biggest fight of his life, so the only reason to showboat is if you're gassed. You can't brawl against Pacquiao. He would've had a better chance at boxing or walking him down giving him shots to the body.

Either way, Pacquiao is still worldclass to me. I know some wanted to see a knock out.... but let's not act like Bradley is chopped liver or something.... dude chin can take serious damage and he is fairly elusive.

I think some folks predicted pacquiao's demise a bit too early after the last Marquez fight. He beat a younger fighter that just came off two huge wins pretty soundly to me. People wonder why he started to showboat... I think it was simply because he was winded at that point. Biggest fight of his life, so the only reason to showboat is if you're gassed. You can't brawl against Pacquiao. He would've had a better chance at boxing or walking him down giving him shots to the body.

Either way, Pacquiao is still worldclass to me. I know some wanted to see a knock out.... but let's not act like Bradley is chopped liver or something.... dude chin can take serious damage and he is fairly elusive.

It was a really good tactic to fight slow like that and build up the speed during the rounds, rather than come out blazing and let the other guy look better at the end of the rounds as well as at the end of the fight. Pac punched much less but looked more like a winner than in the first fight to everyone this way. When i saw that 97% voting that pac had won I was hoping the other 3% were not the judges scoring the bout.

Bradley deserves a lot more than what he gets even though he lost the fight, you really have to give him respect. I do believe he sustained a calf injury though because I saw pacquiao's mum do the middle finger of death while holding the rosary bead, which is a customary curse in that part of the pines. But really bradley did get injured, not to take anything away from pacquiao though, as he did not see that pacquiao would use that kind of tactic walking in on him like that rather than the normal two jumps in, or lateral hop by pac.

But i also tought it was winnable for bradley if he had a fucking game plan.

I don't think his gameplan counted for pacquiao having no body momentum going into his punches so he would be open to a knockout counter. pacquiao would close the distance very slowly with many feints and then when close to the ropes he would close in with short punches before going for the big shots. Bradley would have to have arms of steel to get a knockout from that kind of position. In a way it is not as exciting to watch pacquiao fight like that but he got knocked out by marquez so we will see a more tactical fight plan from roach and pacquiao

Bradley should not have got booed at the end because that was a great fight and for those that complain about all the misses you have to realise the type of defensive tactics these guys are using to block each others punches with their arms as a counter. Bradley was not showboating for the crowd he wanted to see if he could get a marquez shot in which I was expecting but so was pacquiao.

Bradley deserves so much more respect even after this fight. I think the loss will do him good. Pacquiao's detractors will still have the same reasons to undermine pacquiao though.

I gave all the close rounds to bradley but the closest I had was 115-113 to pacquiao. the rounds pacquiao won, pacquiao clearly won so even if that was the score in the end if the fight was scored on a whole it would have been a pretty wide margin to pacquiao.

so who's next for both fighters?

kinggroin

Banned
I'm not sure Paquiao has anything left to prove as a 35 year old boxer.

He's not fast enough to catch May weather or strong enough for the knockout.

Tonight was the only question mark left to answer and he did by boxing Bradley intelligently and not falling for goating. A much younger, undefeated up and comer. No shame leaving the sport on this note.

see5harp

I think it's pretty clear that Pacquiao is on the downslope, even in victory.

I don't know if it's physical at this point but I'd definitely agree that mentally he's not the same fighter. He is obviously very aware that one punch, even from a Timothy Bradley can turn the lights off and I don't remember a time when Pacquiao in his prime was ever cautious. Even in more of his "recent prime" fights with Margarito and Cotto, Pacquiao would eat shots to give them. That's why he has such a huge fanbase. If he wants to try and actually box guys at the top level he can probably hang around, there's no way he can go to war with legit welterweights anymore.

Personally, I think it would actually be super interesting if he went DOIWN a weight class.

Heel

how come ?

He didn't look near as good as the first fight less than 2 years ago, IMO. You can attribute some of that to Bradley getting better.

Not trying to slight him and pretend like he's not world class. He's 35 and on the backside of his career. It doesn't get better from here.

I'm not sure Paquiao has anything left to prove as a 35 year old boxer.

He's not fast enough to catch May weather or strong enough for the knockout.

Tonight was the only question mark left to answer and he did by boxing Bradley intelligently and not falling for goating. A much younger, undefeated up and comer. No shame leaving the sport on this note.

eh I would rather lose to mayweather and get another $40 mill though seeing as mayweather is not going to knock you out anyway right?

there's no way he can go to war with legit welterweights anymore.

Personally, I think it would actually be super interesting if he went DOIWN a weight class.

but who are the legit welterweights?

see5harp

eh I would rather lose to mayweather and get another $40 mill though seeing as mayweather is not going to knock you out anyway right?

but who are the legit welterweights?

I just mean he can't fight like he used to. He'll need to box guys. I do think he could make super lightweight and while there may not be the huge paydays, people will still pay for the PPV's and it's not like Manny is in need of a payday.

I'm not sure who Bradley fights next, and I don't think a trilogy of this match is even necessary. I think Pacquiao has nothing else to prove and will go down as one of the greatest boxers of all time, but as long as he IS boxing, it has to be Mayweather. Same goes for Mayweather. Sure, I think Mayweather would win, but when did simulating matches in our head became good enough? Mayweather has no business fighting anyone else, it's quite clear Pacquiao is his toughest opponent left for him to face.

Sadly, it won't happen. HBO vs Showtime and Bob Arum vs May's camp alone is enough to keep that fight from ever happening. I think Mayweather will just cash out on these last few fights and fight the hottest hispanic boxer at the moment and ride off into the sunset.

But like I said, Pacquiao and Mayweather have no business fighting anyone else. To me, fight or just retire.

Bradley is a dumb ass. All he had to do was box smart, and he wins this fight. Just like when he tried his best to give the fight away to Ruslan.

Panzon

You guys saying Pac should retire are delusional. Sure he's not as fast as before but he's still world class and above pretty much all fighters in his weight class. Bradley had him the first few rounds but then got over confidant, gassed, or simply ran out of ideas. Once Pacquiao figured him out it was pretty much over.

Again, maybe Manny won;t be KOing guys left and right but he can still fight at a high level. I don't like Mayweather at all but I think Pacquiao has nothing for him at this point though. Idk what it's supposed to mean but if that fight happens it just won't have the same impact or lust it had years ago.

Allthis said, GO PACQUIAO!!!!! The guy is a fucking lion and no one can deny that

Top Bottom