• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

You guys saying Pac should retire are delusional. Sure he's not as fast as before but he's still world class and above pretty much all fighters in his weight class. Bradley had him the first few rounds but then got over confidant, gassed, or simply ran out of ideas. Once Pacquiao figured him out it was pretty much over.

Again, maybe Manny won;t be KOing guys left and right but he can still fight at a high level. I don't like Mayweather at all but I think Pacquiao has nothing for him at this point though. Idk what it's supposed to mean but if that fight happens it just won't have the same impact or lust it had years ago.

Allthis said, GO PACQUIAO!!!!! The guy is a fucking lion and no one can deny that
manny never had a chance to beat floyd even 5 yrs ago

ZoddGutts

Lame ass fight. Expected more from both fighters. Mayweather would beat this current version of Pac easily, Pac has noticeably slowed down a bit and no longer has that speeding KO punches.

Bradley is a dumb ass. All he had to do was box smart, and he wins this fight. Just like when he tried his best to give the fight away to Ruslan.

I don't know that "all he had to do..." is accurate. Aside from some shennanigans, he did put his fucking heart out there. You're talking like it's not Manny fuckin Pacquaio on the other end of his boxing gloves, brah. Shit isn't that simple against him, and Manny's legacy is proof enough of that. One of the best to ever do it just beat a very motivated Bradley in what certainly appears to be his prime...and beat him soundly from my perspective.

From what I saw, Bradley had a plan and mostly executed it as best he could. Lots of heavy shots. Give Manny the power, and hopefully wear him down and overwhelm him with it over the course of a match. Lots of punches got blocked. Lots of punches were bigass wiffs. In the end, it felt like he ran out of gas. Not surprising considering he put his soul into damn near every punch.

Also, outside of that headbutt cut, somehow it didn't really look like Manny had been in much of a fight (face). Bradley's cheeks were swollen as shit, though.

Panzon

manny never had a chance to beat floyd even 5 yrs ago
wBfFvq4.gif

You're kidding right?

Guess we'll never know

God dammit, I really thought Bradley had a shot. Manny shut me up. No idea who he fights next, everyone I'd want to see him fight is with Showtime. I suppose he'll fight Alvarado (blech) or Marquez again in the fall.

I don't know that "all he had to do..." is accurate. Aside from some shennanigans, he did put his fucking heart out there. You're talking like it's not Manny fuckin Pacquaio on the other end of his boxing gloves, brah. Shit isn't that simple against him, and Manny's legacy is proof enough of that. One of the best to ever do it just beat a very motivated Bradley in what certainly appears to be his prime...and beat him soundly from my perspective.

From what I saw, Bradley had a plan and mostly executed it as best he could. Lots of heavy shots. Give Manny the power, and hopefully wear him down and overwhelm him with it over the course of a match. Lots of punches got blocked. Lots of punches were bigass wiffs. In the end, it felt like he ran out of gas. Not surprising considering he put his soul into damn near every punch.

Also, outside of that headbutt cut, somehow it didn't really look like Manny had been in much of a fight (face). Bradley's cheeks were swollen as shit, though.
Yeah, you just proved my point. Swinging for the fences, missing shots, and gassing out doesn't sound smart to me. He made it harder on himself by fighting silly.

Tekniqs

Let's keep it real, Manny had Floyd missing for 2 years when he was stopping fighters. They had to send out a search party just to have Floyd fight again

yo was this after Pacquiao turned down the drug testing and signed to fight Clottey?

TuXx

yo was this after Pacquiao turned down the drug testing and signed to fight Clottey?

Floyd never had a problem with only getting tested by the commission until he saw Manny being a problem. The only time Floyd entertain the idea of fighting Pacquiao is when he looked liked shit in the 3rd Marquez fight

Floyd never had a problem with only getting tested by the commission until he saw Manny being a problem. The only time Floyd entertain the idea of fighting Pacquiao is when he looked liked shit in the 3rd Marquez
I always find it cute when people try to insinuate that boxers are scared to fight other boxers. That's a real simple and narrow minded way of looking at things.

TuXx

I always find it cute when people try to insinuate that boxers are scared to fight other boxers. That's a real simple and narrow minded way of looking at things.

Hell yeah a fighter will be scared of a other fighter when a undefeated record is on the line, especially a undefeated record that draws in millions of PPV buys and determines how much that fighter makes moving forward

Hell yeah a fighter will be scared of a other fighter when a undefeated record is on the line, especially a undefeated record that draws in millions of PPV buys and determines how much that fighter makes moving forward
lol floyd will dismantle manny if they ever fought. people said the same with every other fighter.

Don't understand why some of you think Manny is all of a sudden feather-fisted just because he couldn't KO two opponents whom have never been KO'd before.

His greatest strength has always been speed and accuracy while throwing relentless combinations. He showed plenty of that during this and the Rios fight.

He may not be as fast as he was when he was at 130 lbs, but neither is Mayweather.

He's coming off a completely dominant performance against a much stronger, younger and feared opponent in Rios; and just made an undefeated young champion in his prime look like a fool (twice). Yet, many still think he's finished...lol

Boogybro

I find it even funnier when posters make that insinuation when said boxer is moving out of his weight class to fight beasts like Canelo.

But oh, he's definitely scared of Pac... Absolutely.

Boxing is a business. Managers will steer their fighters towards the most money with the least risk; doesn't mean that a fighter is "scared" of anyone. Bob Arum hates Floyd with a passion, and also hates the fact that he can't call the shots when dealing with Floyd. He'd rather cast Floyd as the one killing the fight, and deny Pac a history making purse, than own up to his own bullshit. Neither Pac or Floyd are scared of anyone, it's all back door politics. Don't believe the hype.

They fight for a living, sure. Doesn't mean that they're completely fearless. You're telling me that you wouldn't be even a little bit anxious if you were about to step into the ring with David Tua?

I find it even funnier when posters make that insinuation when said boxer is moving out of his weight class to fight beasts like Canelo.

But oh, he's definitely scared of Pac... Absolutely.
Remember when the other excuse was, "Oh, Floyd is gonna wait until Pac gets old to fight him!", like Floyd was gonna somehow stop aging himself, so the younger Pac would pass him. You can't make this shit up!

TuXx

lol floyd will dismantle manny if they ever fought. people said the same with every other fighter.

Oh yeah, Floyd picks him apart easily, but it would have been a more competitive fight when Manny was performing on a higher level a few years ago, I believe Floyd was extremely cautious and wasn't really open to the idea of a Pacquiao fight until he started to see Manny slow down

TuXx

Remember when the other excuse was, "Oh, Floyd is gonna wait until Pac gets old to fight him!", like Floyd was gonna somehow stop aging himself, so the younger Pac would pass him. You can't make this shit up!

Floyd's a technician. Fighters that box have longer life spans in boxing than brawlers who depend on athleticism to win fights

They fight for a living, sure. Doesn't mean that they're completely fearless. You're telling me that you wouldn't be even a little bit anxious if you were about to step into the ring with David Tua?
At fight time everyone is anxious. That's different. Fighters don't quake in their pants before even signing to fight like some are making it seem; that's bullshit. These are world class athletes we're talking about here.

Boogybro

I find it ridiculously funny that during this whole saga, the Pacquaio camp get no backlash for the fight not happening. It's all Floyd's and GoldenBoy's fault.

Didn't want to take blood tests, afraid of needles.
Offered 50/50 split, turned down to fight Joshua fucking Clottey.
Offered 40 million up front, which could've been wired to him instantly over the phone. "Errrrr no deal. Let me pass you over to my advisor Koncz"

What about Bob Arum ducking out of the fight potentially happening because he wanted to build a stadium or some shit? What happened with that? You seriously couldn't make it up.

Floyd's a technician. Fighters that box have longer life spans in boxing than brawlers who depend on athleticism to win fights
You don't think Floyd depends on athleticism? Reflexes dull no matter who you are. Technicians need those reflexes even more than brawlers, because they usually don't have power as an equalizer. Floyd doesn't get into wars and take punishment, so that helps preserve him, but eventually he will slow down.

TuXx

At fight time everyone is anxious. That's different. Fighters don't quake in their pants before even signing to fight like some are making it seem; that's bullshit. These are world class athletes we're talking about here.

Fighters aren't scared of other fighters, per se, but they're are definitely scared of an outcome of a fight and how that outcome will effect future purse earnings and PPV buys moving forward. Those fears alone will make a fighter duck another fighter

You don't think Floyd depends on athleticism? Reflexes dull no matter who you are. Technicians need those reflexes even more than brawlers, because they usually don't have power as an equalizer. Floyd doesn't get into wars and take punishment, so that helps preserve him, but eventually he will slow down.

Of course boxers need athleticism, I don't believe they need it more than brawlers, but like you said, when you box and move you take way less damage and have more fights left in you than a brawler that goes life and death in a ring

Jeff Lacy had an opponent quit at the weigh-in after taking off his shirt and revealing his physique. You telling me that's not fear? Then again, you can read minds, so you must be right.

Boogybro

Fighters aren't scared of other fighters, per se, but they're are definitely scared of an outcome of a fight and how that outcome will effect future purse earnings and PPV buys moving forward. Those fears alone will make a fighter duck another fighter

That reasoning doesn't hold water seeing as they both have 2, maybe 3 fighters left in their respective careers.

Look, neither fighter is scared of the other. Top Rank refuses to do business with Goldenboy. Period. GB literally begged TR last year to let Donaire fight Abner Mares but they refused. Then Donaire got schooled by Rigondeaux.

They're the only reason these fights ain't happening, so look forward to Pacman vs Marquez 5.

Jeff Lacy had an opponent quit at the weigh-in after taking off his shirt and revealing his physique. You telling me that's not fear? Then again, you can read minds, so you must be right.
The guy was there to pad Lacy's record, and nothing more. He probably didn't feel like getting knocked out for a $100 purse. That's not a real boxer or fighter, that's a guy just getting by. Real fighters know that boxing ain't a physique contest.

And no, I can't read minds, but if you hang around here enough, you might learn something.

ZoddGutts

I find it ridiculously funny that during this whole saga, the Pacquaio camp get no backlash for the fight not happening. It's all Floyd's and GoldenBoy's fault.

Didn't want to take blood tests, afraid of needles.
Offered 50/50 split, turned down to fight Joshua fucking Clottey.
Offered 40 million up front, which could've been wired to him instantly over the phone. "Errrrr no deal. Let me pass you over to my advisor Koncz"

What about Bob Arum ducking out of the fight potentially happening because he wanted to build a stadium or some shit? What happened with that? You seriously couldn't make it up.

Thankfully this shouldn't be a problem anymore without Ariza there giving Pac that special juice.

Boogybro

Thankfully this shouldn't be a problem anymore without Ariza there giving Pac that special juice.

Well, Fortune is back in his camp. And he has a history with performance enhancers. Plus he never did random blood and urine tests for this fight, where Bradley did.

Tekniqs

Floyd never had a problem with only getting tested by the commission until he saw Manny being a problem. The only time Floyd entertain the idea of fighting Pacquiao is when he looked liked shit in the 3rd Marquez fight

you realize negotiations started after Floyd ripped Marquez apart and Pacquiao had the impressive win over Cotto right? you already have your timeline wrong. and get this, Floyd went on his two year hiatus while Pacquiao was still fighting at 135...yet Floyd was scared of him so he took a two year break? see how ridiculous that is?

Agreed..the request from Floyd did come from left field. But it is well within his rights to ask for it. Plus, it isn't like he's the first fighter to do so. Holyfield has asked for it in the past (IIRC for the tyson fight) as well as other fighters.

and i've never heard of increased drug testing being a negative...

Did anybody watch the Arash Usmanee fight? I grew up with the guy in Red Deer but was in Edmonton for the Oilers game. He took the fight against Beltran on short notice. I wondered how he did.

TuXx

you realize negotiations started after Floyd ripped Marquez apart and Pacquiao had the impressive win over Cotto right? you already have your timeline wrong. and get this, Floyd went on his two year hiatus while Pacquiao was still fighting at 135...yet Floyd was scared of him so he took a two year break? see how ridiculous that is?

Agreed..the request from Floyd did come from left field. But it is well within his rights to ask for it. Plus, it isn't like he's the first fighter to do so. Holyfield has asked for it in the past (IIRC for the tyson fight) as well as other fighters.

and i've never heard of increased drug testing being a negative...

I'm not talking about the time off he took after he beat Hatton, I'm talking about the time he took off after the Mosley fight which was almost two years.

With the whole drug testing, yes, he does have a right to demand it, but for 30 plus fights he never had a problem with only being tested by the commission, why now all of a sudden? Floyd is not the first fighter to ask for random blood and urine, but back then demanding random drug testing wasn't as common as it is now, which is probably why it felt like such a crazy demand at the time.

I'm not talking about the time off he took after he beat Hatton, I'm talking about the time he took off after the Mosley fight which was almost two years.

With the whole drug testing, yes, he does have a right to demand it, but for 30 plus fights he never had a problem with only being tested by the commission, why now all of a sudden? Floyd is not the first fighter to ask for random blood and urine, but back then demanding random drug testing wasn't as common as it is now, which is probably why it felt like such a crazy demand at the time.
Why was it a crazy demand, when he did the same for Mosley, who admitted to taking PEDs when his name came up during the BALCO controversy? Mosley agreed to it with no problems.

Leunam

I had some friends over for the fight. We had a great time and most of us scored it the same except for one round which we gave to Bradley, somewhere in the middle.

Why was it a crazy demand, when he did the same for Mosley, who admitted to taking PEDs when his name came up during the BALCO controversy? Mosley agreed to it with no problems.

Where did the accusations against Pacquiao originate? And what happened to his reputation the moment that accusation and the request for further testing were made?

That's why it was a crazy demand. No previous opponent of Pacquiao made such a claim against him or ever requested it. Mosley had not choice BUT to agree to it immediately because it was already known that he had used PEDs in the past. If Pacquiao's rep took a nosedive and he never failed a test and wasn't connected to any PED controversy previously, what would've happened to Mosley?

With all these high level match negotiations there's always jockeying for position. Looking for ways to pressure the opponent into a disadvantageous position well before the fight ever happens. Now athletes/managers are starting to use testing to do it and that's ugly as hell because it taints fighters reps with fans even when it's completely unfounded.

Where did the accusations against Pacquiao originate? And what happened to his reputation the moment that accusation and the request for further testing were made?

That's why it was a crazy demand. No previous opponent of Pacquiao made such a claim against him or ever requested it. Mosley had not choice BUT to agree to it immediately because it was already known that he had used PEDs in the past. If Pacquiao's rep took a nosedive and he never failed a test and wasn't connected to any PED controversy previously, what would've happened to Mosley?

With all these high level match negotiations there's always jockeying for position. Looking for ways to pressure the opponent into a disadvantageous position well before the fight ever happens. Now athletes/managers are starting to use testing to do it and that's ugly as hell because it taints fighters reps with fans even when it's completely unfounded.
Asking for Olympic testing doesn't automatically taint fighters; it's when they fail it, or make crazy excuses for not taking them, that the reps take a hit. Regardless of what happened between Floyd and Pac, more stringent testing is a good thing for the sport. If both fighters are clean, then how is one put at a disadvantage by being tested? Who cares if no one previously asked for Pac to take the tests? If he is clean, why should there be a problem if the top fighter in the sport asks him to take the tests?

Top Bottom