• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Cross posting this from the martial arts thread.

Thought I'd share some mitt work I did recently. This is a pretty big improvement compared to how I was a few months ago. Now at six months I feel like I have a bit more stamina and strength, but I haven't lost a whole lot of weight, which was my main goal.

Either way, I recorded this so I could get some feedback and better understand where I need to improve. I'm pivoting on my heel rather than the ball of my foot I noticed, but I'm sure there are other places I could do better.

Your balance could use some work (when throwing punches and moving around), you need to move your head because right now it would be quite easy to tag you, when you throw your punches you need to turn your hip as well and fully extend your arm while keeping your head back when you throw your jab and your right. Just more movement in general... stay on your toes unless your planting your feet to throw a punch, you gotta look "happy" while on the ring.

While preparing an upper you need to flex your knee while leaning towards the side of the arm that you'll be using and come up with the punch. (more power)

Cross posting this from the martial arts thread.

Thought I'd share some mitt work I did recently. This is a pretty big improvement compared to how I was a few months ago. Now at six months I feel like I have a bit more stamina and strength, but I haven't lost a whole lot of weight, which was my main goal.

Either way, I recorded this so I could get some feedback and better understand where I need to improve. I'm pivoting on my heel rather than the ball of my foot I noticed, but I'm sure there are other places I could do better.

Your coach needs to "meet" you less and let you extend your punches properly. He's really shortening you up on the combos and you'll learn bad habits from this.

You're Flat footed but you know that already.

Not rotating your right foot out and up when throwing the right. You're leaving free power at the door when doing that.

Bring your punches back at the same speed you extend them. You're lazy on the return which means counter shot.

Rotate you hips more when punching and lets the legs/waist/feet flow the punches otherwise you're prone to just arm punching.

SHADOW BOX! SHADOW BOX! SHADOW BOX!

Leunam

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice.

Believe it or not this is an improvement from a few months back. My biggest hurdle is stamina, so I need to put in a whole lot of work in that regard. I think losing weight would go a long way in helping my form as well. I'm going to start doing shadow boxing at home on the days where I don't go to the gym.

BadAss2961

Klitschko vs. Leapai should start in about half an hour. I think in the US it'll be on ESPN. Should easily go to Klitschko, but he doesn't have a chin and is getting older, so who knows?

Anyway, after the Povetkin fight I won't hype anymore Klitschko fights. Will probably suck anyway. Why can't he just retire?
Just set up a Wilder fight already... Don't care how "ready" he is. He's the only heavyweight i've seen that matches Wlad physically.

He's young, he's in shape, he has every inch of Wlad's height, and every bit of his power too.

BadAss2961

Yeah, it's hilarious. He wasn't so bad against Boytsov (though not great), but he looks like an amateur today. I guess the quality difference in heavyweight boxing is just too big these days.

I mean, did he even hit Klitschko in the second round? Man, Klitschko needs a good fight. Pulev should be okay, but after tonight I'm not sure.
I don't know if he's landed in this fight yet. lol

Commentary mentioned this is the heaviest he's ever fought too... Against Klitschko? Unbelievable.

Down goes King Hippo.

Barf. That was embarrassing. Leapai with no clue how to cut off a ring, slip a jab, close distance, shows up heaviest of his career....

Klitchko doing what he does.....let's this tub of goo hang around. After seeing this dude had NOTHING in the first roud he could have come out and wrecked him and instead he jabbed and held.

Evander Holyfield ain't walking through that door, folks

BadAss2961

Mi5dtPq.jpg

rnAsA3X.png

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
He really does.

I like Wlad. He's a very good fighter. But yeah, he wouldn't dominate in a good division. His chin is very suspect, but it hasn't been touched in years due to lack of competition.

Except, people been talking about his suspect chin, and his lack of stamina for fucking years now.

He got with Steward and worked out a plan after the Brewster fight and he's been the best he's ever been since... he kept getting better.

I don't think the division is all that bad, because as time goes on we overrate every era. It's just he's so good, he makes them look terrible when they fight him.

That right straight up the middle is a thing of beauty. Straight from the shoulder, follow through with all his body weight; say what you want about the state of the heavyweights today, but no one imo can stand up to that weapon today, except maybe his brother. If he hits you flush with it he's wrecking shit, which makes it more frustrating watching him passively toying with these dudes. I like him a lot, but he's definitely an aquired taste.

I respectfully disagree. As disappointing or boring as he may be, you don't stay heavyweight champ for more than eight years if you suck ass. Not even today.

One can debate his place in boxing history, but let's not pretend he'd get beaten by Tommy Morrison.

I just don't like him or his safety first style. He should be walking through these guys. Even if you allow for a round or two of feeling out, look at today! He should have seen Leapai sucked ass and took him apart. Instead he jabbed and held, throwing arm punches....it's just not a good look.

If he was crushing these guys in the early rounds like he should be and could be, he's a MEGASTAR on Floyd's level, not just in Germany.

Hilarious that Lucas is gettin tagged by Molina, who is a decent puncher, but not really a highly ranked fighter.

Danny Garcia seems to have ruined the machine

HAHA DOWN GOES THE CAN CRUSHER AGAIN

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Crazy fight right now.

edit: the announcers say they have blood over their notes lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
They should end the fight.

edit: lol the doc told the corner to shut up and the guy shoved the doc

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There was no point in this fight going further, not even slightly balanced.

Lucas was a beast, did get clocked quite a bit but impressivd in the later rounds. Thurman has great power but is quite open defensively, someone with a mauling style like porter could give him trouble

Just caught last nights Showtime fights. Good night of fights. A few observations.

Ref during Mathysse vs Molina was bad. Bad call on the second Lucas knockdown, bad call on the first Molina knockdown. Seemed poor at being in a good position to view the fight and spent and had a tendancy to put his hands on the fighters before yelling stop when breaking up the clinch, which led to Molina continuing to fight his way out while Mathysse would stop.

Molina's right hands had a tendancy to loop a bit at the end and seemed to be awful close to hitting behind the head often. Really odd way to throw it.

Thurman's athleticism was impressive but he needs to keep his discipline. Fight was only 3 rounds, yet by the 3rd his ring generalship had all but disappeared.

Just caught last nights Showtime fights. Good night of fights. A few observations.

Ref during Mathysse vs Molina was bad. Bad call on the second Lucas knockdown, bad call on the first Molina knockdown. Seemed poor at being in a good position to view the fight and spent and had a tendancy to put his hands on the fighters before yelling stop when breaking up the clinch, which led to Molina continuing to fight his way out while Mathysse would stop.

Molina's right hands had a tendancy to loop a bit at the end and seemed to be awful close to hitting behind the head often. Really odd way to throw it.

Thurman's athleticism was impressive but he needs to keep his discipline. Fight was only 3 rounds, yet by the 3rd his ring generalship had all but disappeared.

Totally agree with all of this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mayweather fight tonight, Boxing thread on page four...

Tom_Cody

Not much hype for it, then?

Who yall got for each fight? Bold your picks. Here is mine.

Mayweather vs. Maidana

Broner vs. Molina

Khan vs. Collazo
Mayweather by decision. Maidana won't bring anything that Floyd hasn't seen but it will be fun to watch him make a go at it.

Broner is a complete wildcard. It will be interesting to see where his head is following his humiliation at the hands of Maidana.

Khan vs. Collazo is a great matchup. While neither is in the top 5 at 147, it is a competitive pairing. I can't wait to see how Khan handles himself. I think it's a pick'em fight.

Broner over Molina-Molina is mediocre

Collazo over Khan-Khan enjoys blowing opportunities

Mayweather over Maidana- No explanation needed

Shearie

First time in awhile I'm at a bar to watch a fight. Even though we pretty much all know what's going to happen with the main event, I'm excited!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
lol at this guy shredding 100$ and flushing it down a toilet, I hope it was satirical.

edit: Why do they let some twat rap?

I hope Molina wins.

I am only watching tonight to see Khan lose. Mayweather fights never interest me much. Khan always seems like he will quickly buckle if a fight does not go exactly like he was expecting.

Top Bottom