• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

pulsemyne

Was a close run thing upto the KO. Groves got a little too left hook happy (it was connecting quite often). Just before Froch throws the right hand he faints and moves in slightly and this allows him to hit before Groves' left hand connects. Perfect shot.

Turin

Banned
I remember how dismissive I was of Froch when I first saw him years ago. Nothing but respect now.

I hope he gets the Chavez fight. I think it'd be a great showcase for the Brit.

Froch vs. Golovkin would be awesome.

Tom_Cody

Froch set up that K.O all night with that jab.

DeGale is a pointless fight, Froch will either drop IBF belt or they'll pay Degale to be passed over.
it will be DeGale though Eddie Hearn was talking up that fight on Friday during the weigh-in, it was on the undercard, and DeGale won by KO.

I don't see how he couldn't go for that fight next.

3Sixty

it will be DeGale though Eddie Hearn was talking up that fight on Friday during the weigh-in, it was on the undercard, and DeGale won by KO.

I don't see how he couldn't go for that fight next.

I don't think he's a big enough draw.

DeGale should fight Groves again first.

Schaefer became increasingly influential on the quiet while De La Hoya had his 'issues'. De La Hoya sorted his problems out (seemingly), and saw everything for what they are and has since gone to work on sorting it out.

Schaefer said he would never work with Arum, Arum said he would never work with Schaefer, but De La Hoya wants to make the fights with Top Rank so Schaefer had to go.

What this latest development with Mayweather means I have no idea though.

Tom_Cody

To me the Arum thing is mostly a side-show. This is the key issue IMO:

Yahoo Sports said:
Right now, few people know which fighters are actually signed to Golden Boy deals. Schaefer admitted to Yahoo Sports earlier this year that some fighters were signed to Haymon managerial contracts as well as to Golden Boy Promotional contracts, while others were simply signed to Haymon managerial deals and Golden Boy just used them on a fight-by-fight basis.

As the CEO, Schaefer had a fiduciary responsibility to Golden Boy. He remains a shareholder and said he wishes the company well, but if it turns out that Haymon insists some of his fighters are promotional free agents, this could get ugly.
Basically it seems that Schaefer and Haymon were exploiting Golden Boy in order to plan for Schaefer's eventual exit. For the past several years more and more fighters (always with Haymon) have been fighting on Golden Boy cards without actual Golden Boy contracts. This means that they benefited from the exposure while providing Golden Boy with zero assurance of future commitment from those fighters. Shawn Porter falls under this. So do every single one of the 2012 Olympians that have fought on their cards. This is a major issue. This is the reason that Chavez reject $13m for a two fight deal with Top Tank.

That first bolded sentence is literal. Apparently once Oscar and his legal team started to review operations a few months ago this issue popped out.

To complicate things further, some Haymon fighters actually do have Golden Boy contracts. It is extremely unclear who is going to be able to fight in the short and medium term and how these fights will take place. Will Golden Boy let the Haymon fighters under their controls fight on their cards or will they just ice out their careers? Do these fighters have protections in their contracts to prevent this from getting put on ice? This is a total mess.

To use a specific example, Shawn Porter needs to fight Kell Brook some time in the next six weeks or else he will loose his belt. I don't know how this will happen unless he goes to England and accepts whatever they are willing to pay him. He has no promotional contract and there is no entity to represent him at a purse bid.

There was talks about Sergio Martinez going against Mayweather. I'd like to make this bold proclamation right now: i would want to see Froch go against Mayweather for the Middleweight title.

According to fight news:

Shannon Briggs (54-6-1, 48 KOs), the last U.S. heavyweight champion of the world, returns to the ring on June 28th. Briggs will take on formerly world ranked heavyweight Raphael Zumbano Love (34-7-1, 27 KOs) of Brazil in a scheduled for 12 round featured attraction. A regional title from one of the major sanctioning bodies will be at stake. Site of the bout will be Remington Park in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with HD Boxing promoting. Briggs grabbed headlines worldwide last month when he crashed the Wladimir Klitschko-Alex Lepai final press conference. A YouTube video generated well over 300,000 within days of it happening. After Klitschko dominated Leapai in route to a stoppage win, the crew on ESPN Sportscenter expressed interest in seeing Briggs get an opportunity against Klitschko. Klitschko is said to be defending his titles again before the year is out and with a statement win and a major regional title (and a world ranking coming with it), Briggs could find himself in the hunt for a crack at Klitschko

I can't believe in 2014 that the "Shannon Briggs Tomato Can Path to the Title" still works. This is like the 3rd time he's done this. The worst part is Wlad will play with him for 12 rounds in a shit fight.

I'll be ringside tomorrow night for Cotto/Martinez; gonna be a good night! I'm pulling for Cotto, but can't shake the feeling that Martinez will be too big and too strong for Cotto to deal with.

Turin

Banned
I'm slightly leaning towards Sergio but I'm kind of rooting for Cotto. I wouldn't be disappointed either way. Just hope for a classic fight.

I'm going with Martinez on this one. Unless his knee or his age really catches up to him tonight, I think his lateral movement and his elusiveness keeps Cotto at bay until a signature Martinez straight left puts him away in the late rounds.

But I'm still a big fan of Cotto, so I'll be happy to be proven wrong! I still think that a Sergio win here will do wonders in establishing himself as the man to beat at middleweight, and possibly set up a fight against Golovkin.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
WOW, what a hit. Guy is out cold. One punch. It's like the other player pressed paused and there was lag or something.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What time is Cotto vs Martinez roughly?

I don't know at what time this started? I have it as having started at 6:15EST, if so I guess it would be the next fight.

edit: guess not

edit: 1 fight after this

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hey it is the next fight right? They got the wrappings and all and I think they were going to put the gloves on.

edit: ok no, next one

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
HAHAHAHAHA Go Cotto! End this in 1.

It's gonna be over in 1!

Holy shit 3 knock downs in round 1"!!!!

Top Bottom