• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
doubt Cotto would have any more success against Floyd than he did in their first fight.

Cotto/Canelo..BOOK IT. PPV will be huge

Cotto VS Mayweather would still be good, and if any of the two is in a worst position today than they were then it's Floyd, but I still don't think anyone can beat Floyd. It might be split decision though.

But yeah, Cotto VS Canelo sounds good.

kinggroin

Banned
Cotto VS Mayweather would still be good, and if any of the two is in a worst position today than they were then it's Floyd, but I still don't think anyone can beat Floyd. It might be split decision though.

But yeah, Cotto VS Canelo sounds good.

I don't think this rebuilt Cotto is the style you want to take on Mayweather. In fact, I'd bet anything he'd do worse next go round.

Now him and canelo? Hell yes.

jchap

Cotto looks so good under roach. About midway through his career he seemed to abandon that big counter hook to the body he threw and now it is back in nearly every exchange.

Cotto looks so good under roach. About midway through his career he seemed to abandon that big counter hook to the body he threw and now it is back in nearly every exchange.

Indeed.

He was actually leading his combinations with the left hook to the body and then to the top. I always said that if Cotto could fight an inside fight with Sergio, he would've win by KO, because Sergio's knee is busted, and he is not a good power puncher. Now, Miguel looked 10 years younger tonight, and the thing that was most striking to me was his conditioning (usually by round 8 he is gassed). Tonight he looked fresh on the Kellerman interview after the fight (of course he didnt receive any punishment at all). Now, although I would love to see Cotto fight Canelo, and this is the fight almost everyone wants to see, it would be a totally different story because Cotto and Canelo's styles are very similar. Still, with the demonstration that Cotto gave tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if Miguel dominated Canelo handily.

TuXx

As a Martinez fan I'm pretty bummed out. It's always sad to see such a great fighter be a shell of himself and get beat like that. Hopefully he hangs up the gloves and calls it a career.

Just got home from The Garden; man it was nuts up in there! I went from hoping Cotto didn't get hurt early, to jumping up and down like crazy when he dropped Sergio lol. Shocked to say the least, but I was hopeful that Cotto could wear him down and stop him. I thought Sergio would be faster and stronger, but it seemed the exact opposite. Great win; Cotto looked rejuvenated. Stay away from GGG though; don't get crazy!

Tom_Cody

Just got home from The Garden; man it was nuts up in there! I went from hoping Cotto didn't get hurt early, to jumping up and down like crazy when he dropped Sergio lol. Shocked to say the least, but I was hopeful that Cotto could wear him down and stop him. I thought Sergio would be faster and stronger, but it seemed the exact opposite. Great win; Cotto looked rejuvenated. Stay away from GGG though; don't get crazy!
I just got back as well. Amazing atmosphere. 18,000 people rose to their feet when Cotto scored the first knockdown.

A fight with Canelo would be monumental.

Thank you Sergio for an amazingly entertaining career. Always a treat to watch, best of luck in future endeavors but for your health and our memories as fans, please leave the sport behind.

I just got back as well. Amazing atmosphere. 18,000 people rose to their feet when Cotto scored the first knockdown.

A fight with Canelo would be monumental.
I ran into all kinds of celebs and fighters, with a dead ass camera lol. Danny Jacobs, Bradley, Provodnikov, 50 Cent, Iron Mike, Denzel; all were class acts when I spoke to them.

The Cotto that fought last night might run Canelo out of the ring; his technique was flawless. I don't think he got hit clean all night, aside from a couple of jabs. Canelo has a potent offense though; that would definitely be a fight filled with fireworks.

John Jackson fucked up big time, and I called it after the 2nd round. He thought he was the boss, but Andy Lee is a tough dude, and you can't just wing punches at him without respecting what comes back. Good win for Lee, and the second best fight of the night.

Martinez was running his mouth quite a bit leading to the fight, so i don't feel that bad about him losing. And as a side note... i don't see Cotto fighting Pacquiao (one of the names being tossed around as one of his next possible opponents) because they're both with Roach... and i don't think Cotto would want the fight even if they had different trainers.

TuXx

Cotto beat the top dog at 160, but he needs to stay far away from the middleweight division. Guys like Quillen, GGG and even Canelo would destroy him. Cotto definitely deserves props for beating Martinez, but what we saw last night was more of Martinez not being right than Cotto being great. Being in a long layoff, not being able to spar or run during training camp obviously had a great effect on Martinez.

As for Cotto, he needs to either get a rematch with Floyd or fight Tim Bradley. I would prefer to see the rematch with Mayweather solely because it would be funny to see two dudes who are really Welterweights fight for a middleweight tittle.

Y'all need to stop making excuses for Martinez, and downplaying Cotto's ability in that fight. Sergio's knee problems came from getting put on his ass multiple times. Leading up to the fight he talked the talk, guaranteeing a knockout, underestimating the smaller man, saying he was 100%, etc., so let's not act like the only reason Cotto won is because of Sergio's age and knees. Cotto is still an elite fighter, and he showed great discipline, excellent defense, and shocking power at a weight he'd never fought at before. He may not be able to handle GGG, but I can see him beating Quillin, who I think is very vulnerable, and Canelo, who has lapses in focus and questionable stamina. He troubled Mayweather a lot more than Canelo did, who couldn't hit him in the ass with a handful of rice.

Leibniz

I don't think one should judge a boxer for its talking before the fight, but its talking after it.

And Martinez showed some class in the interview. He never mentioned his knee or anything. He just stated he was out-boxed by Cotto.

Still, it's too sad to see a fighter as Martinez show up as he did last night. He should retire. He got the fight he wanted and he was a tenth of what he was a few years ago.

I honestly was hoping for Martinez to show in a top notch form. I think I was too naive, ACL and knee surgeries are no piece of cake, even more at 39.

TuXx

Y'all need to stop making excuses for Martinez, and downplaying Cotto's ability in that fight. Sergio's knee problems came from getting put on his ass multiple times. Leading up to the fight he talked the talk, guaranteeing a knockout, underestimating the smaller man, saying he was 100%, etc., so let's not act like the only reason Cotto won is because of Sergio's age and knees. Cotto is still an elite fighter, and he showed great discipline, excellent defense, and shocking power at a weight he'd never fought at before. He may not be able to handle GGG, but I can see him beating Quillin, who I think is very vulnerable, and Canelo, who has lapses in focus and questionable stamina. He troubled Mayweather a lot more than Canelo did, who couldn't hit him in the ass with a handful of rice.

So Martinez's knee had nothing to do with him getting drop three times in the first round? If your legs ain't right, you're gonna get dropped easily by a good punch. Martinez was able to take punches against some of the best middleweights in his division and was even able to hang with Chavez who's really a crusierweight. The only reason Cotto even took this fight was because Martinez's knees weren't right so we can't ignore the fact that Martinez was damaged goods going into the fight.

So Martinez's knee had nothing to do with him getting drop three times in the first round? If your legs ain't right, you're gonna get dropped easily by a good punch. Martinez was able to take punches against some of the best middleweights in his division and was even able to hang with Chavez who's really a crusierweight. The only reason Cotto even took this fight was because Martinez's knees weren't right so we can't ignore the fact that Martinez was damaged goods going into the fight.
Sergio was legit shook by hooks to the chin, not because of a shaky knee. The first solid hook Cotto landed shook him up, and he had a surprised look on his face for the rest of the fight, so yeah, the power affected him. Not to mention the thudding body shots that slowed him down. I was there live, and not at any point did I think that Sergio's knees would lead to the fight being stopped; I thought Cotto would beat him into submission, which he did. Even when Sergio came forward, Cotto outboxed him. So yeah, in my eyes that knee excuse is bullshit, because plenty of people in here, including me, thought Cotto was in for a beating before the fight. Now all of a sudden Cotto cherry picked a wounded, shot fighter lol.

TuXx

Sergio was legit shook by hooks to the chin, not because of a shaky knee. The first solid hook Cotto landed shook him up, and he had a surprised look on his face for the rest of the fight, so yeah, the power affected him. Not to mention the thudding body shots that slowed him down. I was there live, and not at any point did I think that Sergio's knees would lead to the fight being stopped; I thought Cotto would beat him into submission, which he did. Even when Sergio came forward, Cotto outboxed him. So yeah, in my eyes that knee excuse is bullshit, because plenty of people in here, including me, thought Cotto was in for a beating before the fight. Now all of a sudden Cotto cherry picked a wounded, shot fighter lol.

Cotto and Freddie Roach even said it themselves that Sergio was ripe for the taking cause of his knees. They made that known through out the press tour, they weren't trying to keep that a secret. Freddie Roach is a pro at spotting damaged goods and this fight was
reminiscent to Pacquaio vs De La Hoya.

If you get hit by a good punch, you need your legs to keep you from hitting the canvas and Martinez was trying all night to circle away from Cotto's left hook but he could barely move to avoid it.

Cotto and Freddie Roach even said it themselves that Sergio was ripe for the taking cause of his knees. They made that known through out the press tour, they weren't trying to keep that a secret. Freddie Roach is a pro at spotting damaged goods and this fight was
reminiscent to Pacquaio vs De La Hoya.

If you get hit by a good punch, you need your legs to keep you from hitting the canvas and Martinez was trying all night to circle away from Cotto's left hook but he could barely move to avoid it.
You do realize that Lou Dibella and Sergio himself have said that there is no problems with Sergio's knees or left hand during and after the fight? Sergio said that he was basically concussed through the whole thing, which is why he went to the hospital instead of the post fight conference. He never recovered from the knockdowns. Listen, we all know Sergio is not what he once was. I've seen the slippage back when he fought Macklin. Cotto's not in his prime either, but I think Cotto was always a better fighter than Sergio, period. He was just better that night, like Sergio said. Sergio wasn't some hobbled, sitting duck, or else he would have never made it out of the 1st round. He survived as long as he could by moving, but he was cut off and forced into traps by a superior fighter.

ZoddGutts

I don't think one should judge a boxer for its talking before the fight, but its talking after it.

And Martinez showed some class in the interview. He never mentioned his knee or anything. He just stated he was out-boxed by Cotto.

Still, it's too sad to see a fighter as Martinez show up as he did last night. He should retire. He got the fight he wanted and he was a tenth of what he was a few years ago.

I honestly was hoping for Martinez to show in a top notch form. I think I was too naive, ACL and knee surgeries are no piece of cake, even more at 39.

Even though he stated that, it's clear that Martinez knee is shot. He's done.

Leibniz

Even though he stated that, it's clear that Martinez knee is shot. He's done.

Of course it is, his knee is more than done. When he tried to throw the first punch his legs were all over the place, no stability at all.

I was just remarking that his attitude towards this outrageous defeat (that's what it was in my eyes, I was expecting a level near Chavez Jr fight and I got 3 KDs in round 1, with Martinez trying to survive throughout the fight) was more than noble. He congratulated Cotto and did not mention his knees, when it was pretty obvious that he was not stable in any moment, even before that big left punch by Cotto.

TuXx

You do realize that Lou Dibella and Sergio himself have said that there is no problems with Sergio's knees or left hand during and after the fight? Sergio said that he was basically concussed through the whole thing, which is why he went to the hospital instead of the post fight conference. He never recovered from the knockdowns. Listen, we all know Sergio is not what he once was. I've seen the slippage back when he fought Macklin. Cotto's not in his prime either, but I think Cotto was always a better fighter than Sergio, period. He was just better that night, like Sergio said. Sergio wasn't some hobbled, sitting duck, or else he would have never made it out of the 1st round. He survived as long as he could by moving, but he was cut off and forced into traps by a superior fighter.

Of course Martinez won't flat out say his knee was shot during the fight. If you're gonna lose, lose with no excuses and give the other man props for beating you and that's what Martinez did which makes him the great champion that he is.

And I know Cotto is a great fighter and has a better resume than Martinez, but every fighter has his limits and I just don't believe that Cotto can beat a solid Middleweight in his prime. Timing is everything in boxing and Cotto simply caught Martinez at the right time and took advantage and seized an opportunity.
Cotto beat a future HOF fighter and jumped up a division he has no business being in and took out the top dog there and deserves props for those facts alone, but all I'm saying is let's call it like it is and admit he beat a fighter that wasn't 100 percent.

Of course Martinez won't flat out say his knee was shot during the fight. If you're gonna lose, lose with no excuses and give the other man props for beating you and that's what Martinez did which makes him the great champion that he is.

And I know Cotto is a great fighter and has a better resume than Martinez, but every fighter has his limits and I just don't believe that Cotto can beat a solid Middleweight in his prime. Timing is everything in boxing and Cotto simply caught Martinez at the right time and took advantage and seized an opportunity.
Cotto beat a future HOF fighter and jumped up a division he has no business being in and took out the top dog there and deserves props for those facts alone, but all I'm saying is let's call it like it is and admit he beat a fighter that wasn't 100 percent.
I hear what you're saying, and I agree with most of it. I just think that too many people are downplaying this victory. Sergio has been cracked by bigger guys for most of his career, and shown himself to be sturdy and resilient. For Cotto to move up in weight, and affect him with his power that early and that often, is highly impressive and unexpected. Now you can say that the knees cut down his mobility, leaving him open to more shots, but I don't feel that bad knees had anything to do with his punch resistance. One knockdown was bullshit, because his glove never touched, but the others were legit knockdowns due to being hurt, not from being unable to stand or put weight on his knees. That's where we differ.

I guess the true test will be Cottos next fight. I think he stays far away from GGG, but a unification fight with Sam Soliman is certainly winnable.

I just have a hard time with how shit he looked recently suddenly being hand waved away because he beat Delvin Rodruigez and a kneeless Sergio

Tom_Cody

I ran into all kinds of celebs and fighters, with a dead ass camera lol. Danny Jacobs, Bradley, Provodnikov, 50 Cent, Iron Mike, Denzel; all were class acts when I spoke to them.
I'm very jealous. My GF and I were exhausted and hoarse by the time the fight finished so we went straight home afterwards.

Do you have any advice for meeting VIPs at fights? Or were your seats simply good enough that you were able to get to the area by the ring?

I'm very jealous. My GF and I were exhausted and hoarse by the time the fight finished so we went straight home afterwards.

Do you have any advice for meeting VIPs at fights? Or were your seats simply good enough that you were able to get to the area by the ring?
I had good seats, right behind ringside, but all the celebs were a level below, and guards were in place to make sure you had tickets to be in that area. Luckily I had a couple of friends sitting in that area, and I was able to use my friend's stub to gain access. Bradley and Provodnikov were the most accessible; they were walking around talking to everyone. Iron Mike was the highlight. He actually remembered me, since we both grew up in the same neighborhood, and I used to see him all the time when he came around back in the day, which made my day lol. I was just lucky to be in a good area, and to be good friends with a millionaire, lol (He bought all of us tickets, 12 dudes at 500 a pop, plus 4 ringside tickets for his family, don't even know how much they cost), so I really can't give advice in that area. Most of my friends spent their time taking pics with and groping the Top Rank girls, lol; fucking embarrassing!

Tom_Cody

I had good seats, right behind ringside, but all the celebs were a level below, and guards were in place to make sure you had tickets to be in that area. Luckily I had a couple of friends sitting in that area, and I was able to use my friend's stub to gain access. Bradley and Provodnikov were the most accessible; they were walking around talking to everyone. Iron Mike was the highlight. He actually remembered me, since we both grew up in the same neighborhood, and I used to see him all the time when he came around back in the day, which made my day lol. I was just lucky to be in a good area, and to be good friends with a millionaire, lol (He bought all of us tickets, 12 dudes at 500 a pop, plus 4 ringside tickets for his family, don't even know how much they cost), so I really can't give advice in that area. Most of my friends spent their time taking pics with and groping the Top Rank girls, lol; fucking embarrassing!
Wow, awesome story!

Yeah, I payed $200 each for my pretty good seats. I was curious how much you (or that guy) had to spend to get that close. Damn. $200/ticket is definitely my ceiling.

I kind of want to go to the GGG fight in July, but I think my next live fight is going to be Porter-Brook.

Tom_Cody

Martinez is shot. Canelo spanks Cotto.
I would totally buy that PPV.

IMO this is the one PPV that could possible outrank Mayweather's numbers.

If Canelo beats Lara he will be the undisputed number 1 at 154 and Cotto just beat the lineal champ at 160. This would be a legit unification fight as well as a meeting of two of the biggest stars in the sport (happen to play into the Mexico vs. Puerto Rico rivalry). You can't ask for more than that.

Meanwhile GGG is left sulking in the corner again.

kodecraft

I would totally buy that PPV.

IMO this is the one PPV that could possible outrank Mayweather's numbers.

If Canelo beats Lara he will be the undisputed number 1 at 154 and Cotto just beat the lineal champ at 160. This would be a legit unification fight as well as a meeting of two of the biggest stars in the sport (happen to play into the Mexico vs. Puerto Rico rivalry). You can't ask for more than that.

Meanwhile GGG is left sulking in the corner again.

Yep, I think this is the plan. I feel Canelo will try and defeat Mayweather by numbers, Mayweather prides himself on being the PPV king. Canelo didn't beat him in the ring, but will outside of it.

Yeah that's a likely scenario. That PPV would do insane numbers. I still favor Cotto in that matchup; people say he's looked like shit lately, but really he's had one bad performance against Trout, and that's it. He pushed Floyd to the edge, there's no shame in being competitive with him, something even Canelo couldn't do. He walked through Rodriguez, who's no world beater but is usually durable. He's still good money in my eyes.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Didn't get a chance to watch the fight but shocked to hear Martinez got throttled like he did. Would love to see Canelo/Cotto fight.

Right now cotto looks like he would destroy canelo. Cotto hasn't looked that aggresive since before the first margarito fight. Add to the fact that behind that aggression we know he can actually box and I can't see how canelo wins unless cotto's age decides to kick in during that fight.

On the other hand canelo needs to get a better trainer, somebody like roach would be able to make canelo into a killer.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
At what time would the Provodnikov fight be tonight EST?

Top Bottom