• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gonzalez got the last two rounds to me.

Pascal probably still wins it, but it was close to me.

Wow. Total robbery. I sat here and told my girlfriend: "Don't be surprised if they take this from Gonzalez to set up the Kovalev rematch in February." Sad to see this actually happened.

Judging bullshit at it's absolute finest (or worst).

One of the judges here gave Benavidez the decision over Herrera? Hmm...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I was hoping Gonzalez would get it, guy deserves it. Hate this shit.

Leunam

When they started talking about Gonzalez agents who put everything they had into him I suddenly felt like this fight was going to end in heartbreak.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
As a french-canadian, AND a massive fan of Pascal...Damn that's a robbery. Like straight-up disgraceful shit. What the fuck.

Zok310

Banned
neither of them really do but at least Berto looked a hell of a lot more impressive in his last fight than Khan.

Khan is the bigger name and the more competitive fight, but dude's been trying to cherry pick his way to a Mayweather fight while insulting boxing fans by pretending a fight with Chris Algieri is steak and potatoes when it's really bologna and mustard.

As for Berto vs Floyd, as long as it's free TV its fine. Floyd fighting on network television is enough of a selling point no matter who he fights. And after he fought Pac don't you think he's earned the right to take a easy stay busy fight?

He has earned that easy ticket to retirement since he decimated Canelo. How many other 34 year old boxers out there have done that to Canelo. Floyd is boxings cheat mode, he just flip a switch and beats anybody.
When he fights fighters too young, they end up not having the experience, when he fights them too old they end up not having the right style to beat him..... unbeatable in my book.

O.DOGG

Gonzalez got robbed. The way the commentators were talking about him, and considering he was Cuban, I just knew if it came to a decision he wouldn't get it. Sad. He was better in that fight, I though.

who yall got in the paulie/garcia fight on sat? I think danny wins but i am rooting for paulie.

Danny "Gift" Garcia is due to lose his zero in the near future but no way in hell will it be to Malignaggi. The guy has won one fight in almost three years, and that was to a washed up Judah in the last bout of his career.

As much as Garcia's recent streak irritates me, Paulie is a complete joke and should no longer be getting bouts with even fringe contenders.

3Sixty

I think Paulie will give it a good go. Will outbox Garcia for the majority of the fight. Then Garcia will win on a questionable decision.

RBH

Garcia-Malignaggi-Crown-Boxing.png

Two of Brooklyn's own will look to defend their turf in the feature bouts for the next episode of Premier Boxing Champions at the Barclays Center in New York on Saturday, August 1. PBC and Showtime analyst and former two-time champion Paulie "The Magic Man" Malignaggi (33-6, 7 KO) will challenge undefeated pound-for-pound contender Danny "Swift" Garcia (30-0, 17 KO).

In the co-feature, WBA regular middleweight champion Daniel Jacobs (29-1, 26 KO) will defend his secondary championship against former titleholder Sergio Mora (28-3-2, 9 KO).

When: Saturday, August 1, at 9 p.m. ET

Where: Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York

TV: ESPN

Tubie

I'm trying to think of who he would fight next at 147 and I'm drawing a blank, don't think they'd let him go with Porter or Onetime.

Now that he's at 147 he'll have to fight some real opponents soon.

And it's over. I seriously thought Paulie had retired already.

Great sportsmanship at the end - always love to see that.

Garcia hasn't impressed in a while. And hey, imagine that, he's flat-footed and telegraphs his punches at 147, too.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
khan will beat him if they fought again.

no he won't. Khan still can't take a punch and his foot work isn't as quick as it use to be, hell he might be slower now than when he fought Garcia the first time.

I want to see Garcia fight someone who can slug with him. He seems made for that kind of match. Thurman vs Garcia would be such a great match.

If Garcia was to give anyone a rematch I hope its Peterson. I still feel Peterson won that fight or at least deserved a draw.

He is but I think he fights there a lot.

Its for the same reason Cotto fights in NY a lot. There are a lot of his fellow Puerto Ricans who will pay to see him fight live even when its not a really interesting fight card.

Turin

Banned
I'd pick Khan over Garcia but we'll see what happens. I don't think Danny will ever try Peterson again, unfortunately.

Give me Peterson vs. anybody notable and I'm happy. A fight with Porter would be great. I'd love it if they fed Broner to him but they'll probably still try to give Broner one last push towards being some kind of star.

abuC

no he won't. Khan still can't take a punch and his foot work isn't as quick as it use to be, hell he might be slower now than when he fought Garcia the first time.

Khan was winning that fight comfortably before he foolishly started to let his hands go, Danny was trying to time him with the left hook and he couldn't read that and kept throwing those stupid combos. I think he can beat Garcia, he's a bit more disciplined now, so even if he may have lost some speed (which I doubt) the fact he's not leaving himself as open can make up for it.

anyone else think Garcia's career has sorta stalled a little? Paulie is always a game opponent for anyone but based on how he came up you'd think he'd be a bigger star buy now (Garcia, I mean).

abuC

anyone else think Garcia's career has sorta stalled a little? Paulie is always a game opponent for anyone but based on how he came up you'd think he'd be a bigger star buy now (Garcia, I mean).

Well, he hasn't fought any real dangerous opponents and Herrera was robbed in their fight, he had a lot of steam coming off his win over Khan but that's flamed out. Also, someone needs to tell him to stop calling himself a "Phillyrican" when he's in NYC, just say Puerto Rican and leave it at that and he'd get more love from the fans.

Tenebrous

Wilder reported calling out Hughie Fury... What a tosser. You just know this guy will be fighting cans & holding that belt hostage for as long as humanly possible.

As expected as it is disappointing. Perhaps the only surprise is that they're actually asking people to pay for this, which is really not surprising at all. I fell hook-line-sinker for that "give one to the fans" CBS nonsense.

Top Bottom