• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

BadAss2961

lol, he hurt his hand. Chavez is fucking hilarious. Not even joking, the way he always makes excuses for everything cracks me up.

"I think I won the fight" is one of my favorite moments.

pixelation

lol, he hurt his hand. Chavez is fucking hilarious. Not even joking, the way he always makes excuses for everything cracks me up.

"I think I won the fight" is one of my favorite moments.

Dude, the way you constructed your post gave me hopes that Chavez had somehow lost... what a meanie you are... :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I do, why? (amateur, planning on going pro).

I joined a boxing gym for a few months a good while back. Wanted to get back into it. Haven't really sparred though (did a few drills with a partner, but don't think that would count). Got any advice for worrying about getting hit?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Before long you don't really feel it.

One amateur fight, and I quit straight out after that. I won too. My trainer was pissed as hell, because he thought I could go far. But the pain still haunts me hahaha. It felt like my head was on fire from the inside out. When the other guy quit, I was really goddamn happy. Suppose he felt the same pain too. 4 rounds was way too long for me.

pixelation

I joined a boxing gym for a few months a good while back. Wanted to get back into it. Haven't really sparred though (did a few drills with a partner, but don't think that would count). Got any advice for worrying about getting hit?

Well, nothing really prepares you for getting hit in the face. Every individual reacts differently to getting hit, speaking for myself i don't really feel pain in the heat of it all. It comes afterwards, once you're trying to chew some food the soreness really kicks in. One drill that sort of prepares you somewhat looks stupid but could help you out a bit. You push on the heavy bag and take the hit with your face, yeah it sounds stupid but i've seen guys doing that... but really though, just step on up... it won't kill you, just make sure that they're not feeding you to the lions. Ideally it should be some guy that's better trained than you are, that way he won't panic and the survival instinct won't kick in in both of you. Best of luck!

Turin

Banned
One amateur fight, and I quit straight out after that. I won too. My trainer was pissed as hell, because he thought I could go far. But the pain still haunts me hahaha. It felt like my head was on fire from the inside out. When the other guy quit, I was really goddamn happy. Suppose he felt the same pain too. 4 rounds was way too long for me.

Interesting. I guess it is different for everyone.

I've done rounds with 14 oz. gloves and no head gear but I was still getting a rush out of it.

General exhaustion and after headaches do suck though. Back soreness as well.

Tenebrous

TuXx

Glad Khan didn't get the fight. Dude's been trying to take the easy route instead of actually earning a fight with Floyd.

If he fought and beat Brook like he was suppose to, there would have been more of a public demand to see Khan vs Floyd.

Glad Khan didn't get the fight. Dude's been trying to take the easy route instead of actually earning a fight with Floyd.

If he fought and beat Brook like he was suppose to, there would have been more of a public demand to see Khan vs Floyd.
And berto deserves the fight?

TuXx

And berto deserves the fight?

neither of them really do but at least Berto looked a hell of a lot more impressive in his last fight than Khan.

Khan is the bigger name and the more competitive fight, but dude's been trying to cherry pick his way to a Mayweather fight while insulting boxing fans by pretending a fight with Chris Algieri is steak and potatoes when it's really bologna and mustard.

As for Berto vs Floyd, as long as it's free TV its fine. Floyd fighting on network television is enough of a selling point no matter who he fights. And after he fought Pac don't you think he's earned the right to take a easy stay busy fight?

Tom_Cody

Man is berto/floyd really going to happen:

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweather-berto-done-deal-9-12-says-tmz--93728

Why would floyd take the crappy way out for his last fight. Now people will suspect he is ducking khan.
1)This isn't his last fight.

2) It's on CBS, so he isn't going to use up a potential future PPV B-side. This also serves to boost Al Haymon's PBC venture (whether this ends up carrying PBC branding or not).

3) This serves to build-up the Khan fight. In addition to talk of Mayweather ducking Khan, Berto and Khan are both trained by Virgil Hunter which means that Khan will be around throughout the promotion for this fight. This fight serves as a natural stepping stone towards Mayweather-Khan next year. Meanwhile, Khan can get another win and further cement his status as a solid top-10 guy at 147.

Or, if Khan loses to whoever he ends up fighting in the fall, Mayweather can just face that winner instead.

My suspicions became reality. And please, let's not try to pretend that Berto is good opposition or somehow more deserving than Khan because he schooled Josesito Lopez in March. Berto fights once per year and is 3-3 in his last 6 fights. Khan is one of the biggest jumped-up hype-jobs out there, but his resume takes a shit on Berto's.

This is a joke of a fight, but everyone has a puncher's chance. Maybe Andre will have his Buster Douglas moment. If not, Floyd will be back for #50 - mark it.

As for the Khan-Brook comments, that is never going to happen.

Tenebrous

My suspicions became reality. And please, let's not try to pretend that Berto is good opposition or somehow more deserving than Khan because he schooled Josesito Lopez in March. Berto fights once per year and is 3-3 in his last 6 fights. Khan is one of the biggest jumped-up hype-jobs out there, but his resume takes a shit on Berto's.

This is a joke of a fight, but everyone has a puncher's chance. Maybe Andre will have his Buster Douglas moment. If not, Floyd will be back for #50 - mark it.

Khan likes money. It will happen after Floyd & Manny are no longer options for him.

Tom_Cody

I mean, Berto is still in the top 20 at 147 (or top 30 at the worst). He's not a dead body, but he's also not a worthy PPV opponent. I don't really have an issue with this since it's on CBS.

And he's an action fighter who will bring some aggression and hopefully make the fight watchable.

Rumors for Golovkin-Lemieux are swirling in the ether right now.

GBP apparently looking at October 17 (to be clear, K2 has MSG locked down for this date), a week before HBO airs Klitshko-Fury. Wouldn't be surprised if Chocolatito ends up on the card again (probably against Segura or Viloria).

I love this fight and think Lemieux is dangerous, but would be surprised if GBP is really that eager to offer up two of its biggest names to GGG back-to-back: Lemieux fresh off of his comeback and then Canelo should he emerge victorious over Cotto.

All that said, I think the fight otherwise makes a ton of sense logistically (would be a unification fight, which is Gennady's top priority, and a perfect setup for Cotto's or Canelo's 2016 mandatory against him).

I box too and the worst part is where you can practically feel your brain wobbling about in your skull. Probably a late revelation but I was actually surprised to learn that gloves made the sport more dangerous.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
CKysNfbWIAA3bEf.jpg

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I box too and the worst part is where you can practically feel your brain wobbling about in your skull. Probably a late revelation but I was actually surprised to learn that gloves made the sport more dangerous.

It's incredible. It felt like someone had jammed two axes in both sides of my skull. The pain was just...I had been punched before. I had sparred before. But goddamn man...I mean I dislocated a shoulder landing a punch. And that was bad...But not as bad as the cumulative pain of that one fight.

I literally noped out of boxing after that. But I still train, love the sport and watch it regularly. It's just pure respect from me now, for everyone who stands in that ring. It's not just the dull pain of a punch, in a street fight. The pain from boxing is far, far worse. It's damage ringing inside your head, bouncing around like a bullet. Worst pain I have ever felt I think.

Edit. Golovkin-Lemieux is an amazing fight. GGG is great, but Lemieux is no pushover. Very powerful guy. Solid matchup.

abuC

I'm surprised that fight is happening, I thought Oscar would keep him away from GGG, Lemieux has a punchers chance of winning but he also could get knocked out in the first.

Looks like the rumor mill was on point. I love this fight - it'll be an absolute shootout for as long as it lasts. This is honestly the best move for GGG prior to taking on the winner of Cotto/Canelo. Lemieux is a dangerous opponent with a belt to unify.

They'll stack the card to try and sell it. Count on Chocolatito to fight that night.

As for tonight, this Pascal/Gonzalez scrap on the Kovalev undercard is great. Pascal has to step it up if he wants to keep the Krusher rematch alive.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gonzales can do this I think, he looked gassed since round 2 so I'm not sure he really is. Well I think it's even on that end.

Top Bottom