• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

PR_rambo

Banned
Santa Cruz finally took a step up and did not dissapoint. Here's hoping he continues fighting more competent opponents.

Spirited effort from Mares though, Id still want to watch him fight

Woah somebody scored it a draw? Gtfo

jchap

Was a great fight. I personally have never forgiven Marez for being a low blow artist early in his career so I was glad to see the result.

kinggroin

Banned
Damn. This was easily the best card of boxing this year never mind best PBC event.

Apparently the Mosley fight was entertaining for other reasons. I'll have to catch highlights tomorrow.

Turin

Banned
Can't say I wasn't entertained by Mosley-Mayorga. Mosley got to land some Mosley esque combos again. The stoppage looked very suspect.

Turin

Banned
How come it looked suspect? Match was worth it for classic Mayorga lol. He even got some hits after it.

Maybe I'm conspiracy theorizing but I heard the announcers talking about Shane's round 6 prediction and later Mosley lands what looked like a light left to the body and Mayorga collapses.

It did look like it was right on the button in the replay though so maybe I'm just bullshitting.

Fun show anyway. Both guys got to be themselves again for one last night.

RBH

CM8SU_AUYAAw41v.jpg:large

Heavyweight titleholder Deontay Wilder, who has feasted on soft or unknown opposition throughout his career -- except for the fight in which he won his belt -- has been matched that way again.

Wilder will make the second defense of his title when he faces France's little-known Johann "Reptile" Duhaupas on a Premier Boxing Champions card on NBC in prime time Sept. 26 (8:30 ET) at the Legacy Arena in Birmingham, Alabama, not far from Wilder's hometown of Tuscaloosa. The fight was announced at a news conference at the arena on Thursday.

"I know my opponent has great size, and that's what we're looking for in opponents," the 6-foot-7, 229-pound Wilder said of the 6-5, 242-pound Duhaupas. "He has a great record, and he's never been knocked out -- until he faces me. I know Duhaupas is tough and he comes to fight, and that's exactly what we need."

Wilder, a 2008 U.S. Olympic bronze medalist, faced his first notable opponent on Jan. 17 in Las Vegas as he took the title from Bermane Stiverne by a one-sided decision win. Wilder returned home for his first title defense on June 13, knocking out lightly regarded Eric Molina in the ninth round of a one-sided fight at Bartow Arena in Birmingham.

The 29-year-old Wilder (34-0, 33 KOs), who owns a destructive right hand, said he is excited to fight at home again.

"Fighting at home last time exceeded my expectations, and coming back again is a blessing upon my life," Wilder said. "I'm looking forward to bringing more boxing to Alabama and introducing the entire state to this great sport."

If Wilder defeats Duhaupas, he may fight once more this year before a mandatory defense in the first part of 2016 against former titlist Alexander Povetkin (29-1, 21 KOs), of Russia, who is scheduled to first face former title challenger Mariusz Wach (31-1, 17 KOs) on Nov. 4 in Kazan, Russia.

Duhaupas (32-2, 20 KOs), 34, who will be fighting in the United States for the first time, is well traveled. He has boxed in France, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Germany, Russia, Morocco, Algeria, Panama and Japan.

He is 1-1 this year, losing a 12-round unanimous decision to Germany's Erkan Teper in Germany in March followed by the most notable win of his career, a majority 10-round decision against former world title challenger Manuel Charr on April 10 in Moscow.

Duhaupas' other defeat came in 2008 by unanimous 12-round decision to Francesco Pianeta, who was knocked out in world title bouts by Wladimir Klitschko -- the recognized world champion -- and Ruslan Chagaev.

"I am very happy to be challenging Deontay Wilder for the heavyweight world title," said Duhaupas, who did not appear at the news conference but spoke in a pre-taped video. "This is a huge opportunity, and I will make the most of it on Sept. 26. Deontay is a good boxer, but I have the heart of a lion and the mental fortitude to handle anything in the ring.

"Fighting in the U.S. was a dream for me, and now I'll achieve it. Fighting against Deontay Wilder is the next logical step for me. I've been dreaming about [fighting for a world title] for 15 years, boxing and training for 15 years, and now I can do it. Deontay is very dangerous. He is a huge champion, but I can be a huge champion, too, and I'll do it."

The fight will mark the first time in 30 years that NBC will televise a heavyweight world title bout in prime time, the last coming on May 20, 1985. That is when Larry Holmes defended his title against Carl "The Truth" Williams in Reno, Nevada, winning a 15-round unanimous decision.

"From Holmes in '85 to Wilder in '15, NBC Sports continues its rich boxing heritage with a heavyweight championship fight in prime time," said Jon Miller, the president of programming for NBC Sports. "This broadcast will introduce Deontay to a whole new group of sports fans, which is what we set out to do when we first partnered with PBC."

In the junior welterweight co-feature, former lightweight titleholders Omar Figueroa Jr. (25-0-1, 18 KOs) and Antonio DeMarco (31-5-1, 23 KOs) will meet in a scheduled 12-round bout.

Figueroa, 25, of Weslaco, Texas, is coming off an exciting unanimous decision against former lightweight and junior lightweight titlist Ricky Burns of Scotland on a May 9 PBC card in Hidalgo, Texas.

DeMarco (31-5-1, 23 KOs), 29, of Mexico, is coming out of a retirement that lasted less than two months. Two days after losing a one-sided 10-round decision to former junior lightweight titlist Rances Barthelemy on a June 21 PBC card in Las Vegas, DeMarco announced his retirement.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...vyweight-defense-versus-johann-duhaupas-prime

Tom_Cody

What a fantastic set of fights on espn on Saturday night.

I had been getting kind of cold on Santa Cruz, but his huge win on Saturday has pumped a tremendous amount of life into the PBC's business at featherweight. They now have Leo Santa Cruz, Gary Russell Jr, Lee Selby, Carl Frampton (who is looking to move up to 126), and tons of opponent level fighters like Jesus Cuellar. It's a massive shame that Vasyl Lomachenko, Nicholas Walters, and Guillermo Rigondeaux aren't in that mix, but the PBC still has enough great ingredients to make a ton of fun fights at that weight over the next few years.

I hope Duhaupas wraps him in a cocoon of horror.
I'll be looking forward to that fight. The trick with following Wilder is to simply view him as a developing prospect instead of as a contender to the true championship. He is active enough that I'm ok with him fighting guys at this level as long as he continues to step it up periodically. I would definitely pick Povetkin as a favorite over him, but who knows if that fight will even ever happen.

Also, Figueroa-DeMarco on the undercard should be a good little action fight.

Tenebrous

Not sure how I'd fancy Pac against Canelo at his age after a long term injury. Definitely would be an interesting fight at 154, though.

I'd love to see him fight Kell Brook @ 147.

Tom_Cody

LAMONT PETERSON VS. FELIX DIAZ JR. AND ANDRE DIRRELL VS. BLAKE CAPARELLO SET FOR OCTOBER 17 PBC ON NBC CARD

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article21685.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Got to support my Dominicans, going for Felix Diaz,big fight for him.
I like both Peterson and Dirrell so I'm happy to see them both get rebound fights after their recent losses.

Syphon Filter, I don't know much about Felix Diaz jr. Does he have a shot, or is he just a sentimental pick for you?

I like both Peterson and Dirrell so I'm happy to see them both get rebound fights after their recent losses.

Syphon Filter, I don't know much about Felix Diaz jr. Does he have a shot, or is he just a sentimental pick for you?

Yea it's mostly sentimental, he is the main hope and potential for a Dominican star.

RBH

The third edition of ESPN’s Premier Boxing Champions on ESPN presented by Corona Extra (PBC on ESPN) series—headlined by Leo Santa Cruz’s majority decision win over Abner Mares—on Saturday, Aug. 29, delivered the largest boxing audience on ESPN since February 1998 (02/22/98 Mark Johnson vs. Arthur Johnson).

The telecast was seen by an average of 1,217,000 viewers (P2+)—up 30 percent from the average of the previous two PBC telecasts on ESPN. The telecast peaked from 12:00-12:15am with 1,641,000 viewers (P2+) according to Nielsen.

ESPN’s Spanish-language telecast of the event on ESPN Deportes averaged a 1.3 Hispanic HH US Rtg and 355,000 Hispanic viewers—making it the highest-rated and most-watched boxing telecast to ever air on ESPN Deportes. The telecast peaked from 11:15-11:30 p.m. with 453,000 viewers.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-audience-on-espn-since-february-1998/456526/

RBH

i

If this is Floyd Mayweather's last fight, he's going out with a dud at the box office.

With a little more than four days until Mayweather's fight against Andre Berto at the MGM Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Ticketmaster shows there are more than 2,100 seats available -- and that doesn't even count the tickets that are typically held by the promoters.

That's despite the fact that the face value of this fight -- ranging from $125 to $1,500 -- is significantly lower than the prices for Mayweather's fight in May against Manny Pacquiao.

StubHub spokesman Glenn Lehrman said the leading resale site had an average ticket sale price of $5,095 for Mayweather's fight against Pacquiao, while the average sale for Saturday's fight is more than six times less ($799). As of 10 a.m. ET on Tuesday morning, only 25 seats to the Mayweather-Berto fight had been sold for more than $1,000 on StubHub.

In fact, the site has done a bigger business on the Anthony Joshua-Gary Cornish fight in London on Saturday than Mayweather-Berto.

While hotels in town had raised their prices to more than four times their normal rates for the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, there has been no bump for Mayweather-Berto.

Late last week, as ticket sales halted, MGM Hotels started offering more aggressive deals to those who have frequently stayed at their properties. One offer was $1,000 for a two-night stay at the MGM Grand that included two Mayweather-Berto tickets.

The lack of interest in Mayweather's opponent is understandable. Berto has lost three of his last six fights, and many don't believe that this, Mayweather's 49th fight, will be his last because another win after this would allow him to pass Rocky Marciano's record of 49-0.

"This is 100 percent his last fight," Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe reiterated to ESPN.com on Tuesday.

Still, gamblers aren't particular intrigued with Mayweather-Berto either. In order to win $1 at the Wynn Sports Book, a bettor favoring Mayweather to win would have to risk $35.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...t-more-2100-seats-available-low-ticket-prices

That's because the majority of the public don't actually "like" watching Floyd fight. They want to see him get beat. It's a shit fight to start with, and it feels like the marketing and hype has either been lame or non existent. Boxing Heads know there's no chance for Berto to win and the average Joe hasn't been sold on the fight at all. At least they had Robert Gurrero on the 700 Club!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Doubt Stevenson could beat Kovalev, but yeah we need that fight.

abuC

Dillian Whyte vs Anthony Joshua? They don't seem to like each other too much, would love to see two young heavyweights go at it.

Top Bottom