• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

PR_rambo

Banned
I wish I could fast forward this, I don't mind Mayweather's ability to make his opponents seem so ineffective but not when it's against guys like Berto.

Yeah it's time for Floyd to go. He's had a great run, but he does just enough to win these days; why bother anymore? Nothing left to prove, let the young bucks take the stage.

Tenebrous

If that's really that (I don't think it is), then fair play to Floyd. Possibly the greatest boxer of the 21st century, and easily one of the most influential athletes of his time.

Castillo beat him, though.

Turin

Banned
I was watching some old Jones Jr fights recently. Such a treat to watch. I think the Clinton Woods fight was his peak(meaning that Roy would beat any other Roy).

Cross posting from the casuals thread, but I'd love to see someone like Thurman or Garcia fight 3 times next year against top opponents then call out Floyd for a May 2017 showdown. It lets Floyd have a year off to recover and relax and lets an opponent be built up people think could win.

Cross posting from the casuals thread, but I'd love to see someone like Thurman or Garcia fight 3 times next year against top opponents then call out Floyd for a May 2017 showdown. It lets Floyd have a year off to recover and relax and lets an opponent be built up people think could win.

If Floyd sat around and let someone like Thurman develop it would be a problem. Garcia, imo, peaked. Short of finding a new trainer that revitalizes and improves him he's not ever touching Floyd.

So I guess I could see that scenario with Garcia. Thurman still has room to grow though and barring an unseen derailment could spell disaster for a 1 year layoff Floyd.

Oh I understand, I'm also in the camp where if he doesn't come back next year he never does barring a financial disaster forcing his hand.

I was just trying to come up with a scenario where you could sell the fight to a bigger audience after 2 non mainstream friendly PPV fight results. Gotta build up someone people think has a chance to win

Turin

Banned
I don't think Floyd's sticking around long enough to fight a more developed Thurman. I do think that he doesn't want to step into the ring at 40.

I'm not sold on Thurman yet. He has some good qualities, and he's fun to watch, but I think he's very vulnerable at times. If he can't knock you out early, he settles into a backpeddling boxing mode and can look bad against good boxers. He does have good power off the back foot though.

I think Terrance Crawford will be the next big thing at welterweight. He has great timing and technique, and a mean demeanor along with power and boxing skills. Errol Spence is special too. Neither will ever get near Floyd, but they will be fun to watch going forward.

If Floyd sat around and let someone like Thurman develop it would be a problem. Garcia, imo, peaked. Short of finding a new trainer that revitalizes and improves him he's not ever touching Floyd.

So I guess I could see that scenario with Garcia. Thurman still has room to grow though and barring an unseen derailment could spell disaster for a 1 year layoff Floyd.

Keith is overrated by many, just another power puncher that floyd will dismantle. Khan still deserves the fight the most and if kell keeps winning he will too.

I'm not sold on Thurman yet. He has some good qualities, and he's fun to watch, but I think he's very vulnerable at times. If he can't knock you out early, he settles into a backpeddling boxing mode and can look bad against good boxers. He does have good power off the back foot though.

I think Terrance Crawford will be the next big thing at welterweight. He has great timing and technique, and a mean demeanor along with power and boxing skills. Errol Spence is special too. Neither will ever get near Floyd, but they will be fun to watch going forward.

Agreed on Terrence Crawford, he is the future.

harSon

Banned
I don't see Floyd fighting more than once. Floyd is too prideful and likes money too much not to get one more pay day. His next fight will probably be a Pacquiao rematch in early 2016, because that matchup combined with the possibility of Floyd eclipsing (or blowing) the record is probably his best chance of getting a major payday.

Keith is overrated by many, just another power puncher that floyd will dismantle. Khan still deserves the fight the most and if kell keeps winning he will too.

If they fought right now, sure. But give Thurman the time to develop further and fix his flaws and I believe he's got the style and power to be a problem for an aging Floyd. Especially if Floyd takes a year long layoff.

Tenebrous

How come? His style makes the most sense although I think Bradley can be a good fit too.

3 fights at 147 against B class (generous) opponents with no titles on the line. Brook's win against Porter beats anything Khan's done at 147, and he holds a belt to boot... But hey, Money talks, and if there's more money in making Khan look foolish, then that's more likely to happen.

Tim Bradley deserves the fight more than both after the Provodnikov fight. If he gets past Rios, I'd like to see a unification bout vs Brook (winner vs Mayweather if he comes back), and then Brook vs Khan later that year.

Golovkin-Lemieux 30-day weigh-ins.

Both within the 10% 30-day limit, albeit to far different extents. GGG came in at 165, which is right around where he always does 30 days out. No surprise here as the guy is known for staying in shape between fights.

Lemieux, on the other hand, came in at 175.8, which is 0.2 pounds from the maximum allowed WBC limit for that timeframe. To be clear, Lemieux is not naturally bigger and, considering he fought less than three months ago, that much weight this far out is a little surprising.

Tom_Cody

Golovkin-Lemieux 30-day weigh-ins.

Both within the 10% 30-day limit, albeit to far different extents. GGG came in at 165, which is right around where he always does 30 days out. No surprise here as the guy is known for staying in shape between fights.

Lemieux, on the other hand, came in at 175.8, which is 0.2 pounds from the maximum allowed WBC limit for that timeframe. To be clear, Lemieux is not naturally bigger and, considering he fought less than three months ago, that much weight this far out is a little surprising.
Lemieux's number doesn't surprise me. He's a power puncher, and it's a common game for punchers to try to de-hydrate/re-hydrate as much as possible in order to come in as heavy as possible on fight night. That said, I have no idea what what sort of history he has with weights, so I just mean that as a general statement about the sport.

Lemieux's number doesn't surprise me. He's a power puncher, and it's a common game for punchers to try to de-hydrate/re-hydrate as much as possible in order to come in as heavy as possible on fight night. That said, I have no idea what what sort of history he has with weights, so I just mean that as a general statement about the sport.

Yup. And it would seem to behoove power punchers/ko artists to train as much as possible at a heavier weight to pack the muscle and just super dehydrate to make weight rather than stay closer to weight and risk not having as much power.

abuC

Tyson Fury aka The Batman

_85699862_mm_box_fury_batman_23_9.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxyD1lJqSg

Top Bottom