• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Brook will fight Spence on his comeback if he can't get the Pacquiao fight:

I had a meeting with Eddie yesterday and told him I am not prepared to give up my title. I know there are options at 154lbs and I may even be more suited there but I am not willing to give up what I fought so hard for. I want the unification fights but if they aren't there then it will be Spence next for me in a big UK show.

MVP

Banned
If anything Pacquiao should retire if he's going to continue to fight guys like Jesse Vargas.

He made $4 mil for a glorified sparring session, so it's quite the opposite. As long as he can pull those numbers fighting the likes of Vargas, he shouldn't retire.

Pac is still a draw and will have no problem making money. That said I just wanna see him take tougher fights, but Top Rank probably won't allow that. Except for Mayweather.

He made $4 mil for a glorified sparring session, so it's quite the opposite. As long as he can pull those numbers fighting the likes of Vargas, he shouldn't retire.

I mean sure if it's just for the money then cool, but I assume he wants to have more meaningful wins to enhance his legacy as an all time great, and there's plenty of great talent at welterweight. That division stays stacked.

Golovkin has finally snapped 😮

Carl Froch MBE
✔
@Carl_Froch

@TomLoeffler1 @EddieHearn @GGGBoxing @wembleystadium he needs to fight somebody credible very soon, but as you have been, stay away from 168

Gennady Golovkin
✔
@GGGBoxing

Hey you! @Carl_Froch don't judge who is credible or not. You are another clown who talks too much without stepping up to actually do things

A total money grab fight by Hearn and Froch if this happens, this fight should have happen years ago but Froch didn't want any.

Great face off Kov / Ward, neither blinked!

Really interesting match up, and I still can't make up my mind!

Key to this fight is whether or not Kovalev can establish his excellent jab relatively early and dictate the distance, or whether or not Ward can nullify that; these are both things that the other is excellent at.

Logic says to me that Ward's level of opposition in the last 3 years has been FAR from Kovalev and that might be the big difference in this fight; it's a long time since the Super Six and I think Kovelev is a MUCH better boxer than Froch in addition to being heavy handed.

I think Kov has the luxury of making a few mistakes, whereas Ward has to fight near perfect - a knockdown could really make the difference on the score cards.

Other big thing is whether the ref will keep the fight clean and penalise Ward for his use of the head and clinching - he gets away with this way too much in Oakland, hopefully it's a fair clean fight

Right now I'm going for a Kovalev stoppage in round 10, but I would not be surprised to see Ward raise his game and execute flawlessly for a UD

I hate Ward so much but he's going to win this. He'll stay inside and make it a boring slog of a match with a lot of holding, and win a decision with one judge probably have a wack 117-111 score and the others in line with a close fight.

Ward's inactivity and subsequent matchups against subpar opposition makes me somewhat hesitant to pick him but I will anyway. Boxers usually beat punchers and I have to think Ward took this fight because he's pretty damn sure he'll win.

MVP

Banned
Kovalev by UD. It'll be a Hopkins-Kovalev type of fight, Ward will survive despite being rocked once or twice, but Kovalev will be a machine throughout and the activity will get him the decision.

That layoff. That boring style.

Layoff was due to promotional and injury issues.

I swear people exaggerate when they call Floyd and Ward's style boring when they are so active on offense and defense. Obviously it's not the most exciting style, but it's enjoyable on a very technical level especially as they paint masterpieces picking opponents apart.

A truly boring style is Guillermo Rigondeaux or even Wladimir Klitschko when they can go through rounds throwing very few punches despite the obvious superiority over their opponents.

Kovalev by UD. It'll be a Hopkins-Kovalev type of fight, Ward will survive despite being rocked once or twice, but Kovalev will be a machine throughout and the activity will get him the decision.

You mean Kovalev will be fighting a 50 year old man?

kinggroin

Banned
Kovalev will be pressing, Ward will counter. Kovalev will struggle to get a rhythm going, and the fight will end boringly via a UD for Ward.

Tubie

Kovalev will be pressing, Ward will counter. Kovalev will struggle to get a rhythm going, and the fight will end boringly via a UD for Ward.

Yea, that's why I'm not gonna watch this one (maybe I would if it wasn't PPV).

Hope I'm wrong so those that do pay for it get a good fight.

Top Bottom