• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

kinggroin

Banned
Smith looks gassed, and apprehensive after that knock down.

Canelo is too damn big and too damn strong. This feels like Alvarez vs Cotto again

Next round will be the last. Bet.

Edit: He has heart but this is going to end bad if they don't throw in the towel.

kinggroin

Banned
I got Alvarez literally doing this same shit to GGG in less rounds. After the Kell Brook fight, I have doubts about Golovkin's defense and chin. Just don't think he has ever has heart tested anywhere close to how Alvarez will.

And I'm rooting for GGG

Tubie

Really wish the GGG fight would happen.

I won't get my hopes up tho, I don't think Canelo's people will allow that fight any time soon.

TheCrow

I'm excited to potentially see Lemieux vs Canelo in May next year. Need to see how he stands up to middleweight power punchers. He took some clean shots from Smith.

Anybody got the gifs of all 3 knockdowns? Does Sunhi watch boxing?

Reading sherdog and here and I literally, IRL, winced when I read the knockout

it was a pretty brutal body KO. Right in the breadbasket.

I wouldn't doubt it. I've been knocked out by a bodyshot before when my friends and I used to box each other. That shit hurts, fam.

Going by what's going on here, I don't think GGG backed out at all. Trying to add some fuel to the flames is more like it.

I wouldn't doubt it. I've been knocked out by a bodyshot before when my friends and I used to box each other. That shit hurts, fam.

Going by what's going on here, I don't think GGG backed out at all. Trying to add some fuel to the flames is more like it.

Canelo's people don't want to risk his draw power against a guy that probably doesn't bring that much more (in terms of popularity) yet. If they can do big money fights against tomato cans, they'll keep doing it. Until then expect a lot of spin on why the fight isn't happening, May/Paq style.

Canelo's people don't want to risk his draw power against a guy that probably doesn't bring that much more (in terms of popularity) yet. If they can do big money fights against tomato cans, they'll keep doing it. Until then expect a lot of spin on why the fight isn't happening, May/Paq style.

Yup. I agree 110%. Expect GGG v Canelo at the very end or close to the end of either's career. Like you said, expect another May v Pac style show.

TheCrow

It could've been a repeat of when Floyd offered Manny 40 mil but wanted to keep all the revenue from the fight for himself. It all comes down to terms not just what they offered.

ZoddGutts

If anything I'm surprise Smith lasted that long, looked like difference of two weight classes in the ring. At least Brook came at GGG weight but only lasted 5 rounds.

I don't doubt that GGG and Canelo would fight tomorrow if it was up to them, but their promoters are going to make us all wait. I fully expect Canelo to fight Willie Monroe Jr next and GGG to fight Jacobs.

how if none of them are nowhere near the popularity of may and pac? that fight is not even close to as anticipated as may vs pac.

Canelo is on that trajectory. He's probably the biggest draw in the sport right now. It's GGG that is not in that ballpark, and like Roy Jones Jr. it's probably unfortunately a symptom of his own dominance, which is why Golden Boy is in no hurry to make that fight. If GGG were on the same level in terms of star power as Canelo, they'd make that fight in a heartbeat even if they thought their boy might lose. The money would be huge.

TheCrow

I don't doubt that GGG and Canelo would fight tomorrow if it was up to them, but their promoters are going to make us all wait. I fully expect Canelo to fight Willie Monroe Jr next and GGG to fight Jacobs.

That's what I expect too. Monroe might give Canelo some problems because of his movement but he's no Lara. Way better than seeing Canelo tee off on Rosado. GGG vs Jacobs will be a good fight where GGG will use his jab and box. Similar to his fight against Lemeiux.

TheCrow

Does anyone believe that? GGG backed out?

Actually the translation was slightly off. Canelo never said that GGG didn't want to fight. He just said GGG hasn't responded to his offer. The translator added the "he didn't want to accept". I'm sure we'll be hearing more about this soon.

Turin

Banned
Canelo showed his class. Underrated as a technician and body puncher.

I still see Canelo vs. GGG as a 50-50 fight. It'll be interesting to see what strategy each guy uses. GGG might try to keep Canelo at the end of his jab and Canelo might try an ambush strategy(keeping a tight defense and timing explosions).

Kellerman didn't go easy on Canelo there.

Kellerman's a good dude.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Didn't see the fight last night, needed some sleep:(

I'm excited to potentially see Lemieux vs Canelo in May next year. Need to see how he stands up to middleweight power punchers. He took some clean shots from Smith.

Lemieux will get beaten up until the ref calls it off.

2real4tv

Went to D&B thinking they would carry the fight to my surprise nope. They stated they don't carry ppv boxing anymore at least in my area was disappointed, hopefully lucky strike does not do the same. Can't wait for the Canelo and GGG fight.

Golovkin turned down Golden Boy's offer because the fight wasn't scheduled until November of next year. There's no point in making a deal if it's over a year away, a lot can happen and business can change.

Top Bottom