• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

HBO really needs to get rid of Lampley and Lederman. This fight was close ever since the third round. Those idiots were calling the fight as if it was one sided when it was clear it was close. Kellerman was calling it right.

jchap

A robbery was what happened on the undercard. This was a SUPER close fight with only 1 obvious round.

I had Ward by 2

MVP

Banned
Ward with the "What?!" and chest pound celebration in the corner after the decision looking like Bradley after getting gifted a robbery vs. Pacquiao.

Ward with the "What?!" and chest pound celebration in the corner after the decision looking like Bradley after getting gifted a robbery vs. Pacquiao.

LOL Not the same, but you can keep trying.

I had it 115-112 Kovalev. I can't see how you give Ward 7 rounds.

Easy, y'know those couple of close rounds that could've gone either way and you gave to Kovalev? You give those to Ward instead.

PR_rambo

Banned
Lederman and Lampley sounded like keyboard warriors, it was close from the 4th round and onwards.

I think Ward with his rust knocked off, and having controlled Sergey in the latter half will defeat him much more convincingly in the rematch.

I am SO GLAD we got a great fight by two guys in their prime, and people are split at the decision, just great that people are talking boxing, its been a minute.

kinggroin

Banned
Ward doesn't take 7 rounds unless clean punches and showing heart mean more than quantity of landed punches, damage from the punches and overall ring generalship.

I give Ward 5, Kovalev 7

challenger has to win the fight. lol he doesn't have to do anything extra to win the belt

I suppose what I mean in that is that in a close round usually most judges will give it to the ring general / dominant fighter who commands centre ring and backs up the other fighter - and that was Kov all night long.

If a challenger comes in and takes centre ring and does what Kov does it usually pays in their favour for close rounds.

PR_rambo

Banned
fdRJPeWl.png

Thank god for the rematch clause, let the winner body Chickenson on a later date.

Tom_Cody

How could anyone call this a robbery? WTF is going on with Twitter right now. Some boxing writers are calling this the worse robbery ever, even while conceding it was a 1 point fight.

How could anyone call this a robbery? WTF is going on with Twitter right now. Some boxing writers are calling this the worse robbery ever, even while conceding it was a 1 point fight.
I don't understand it either. People saying it was super close, but no way Ward won; I'm at a loss here. If it's super close, that means it could go either way, so why the outrage? I think people are putting too much weight on the knockdown, as if there was no way Ward could rebound from it. Maybe because no one's used to seeing that happen to Ward, in their minds it becomes more devastating than it actually was.

I think as a poster said above it's because it was a UD with all scoring it the same way, yet far more folks seem to have Kov winning.

If it was a split decision or even a majority decision to Ward I don't think there would be anywhere near such an outcry but a UD?

I don't understand it either. People saying it was super close, but no way Ward won; I'm at a loss here. If it's super close, that means it could go either way, so why the outrage? I think people are putting too much weight on the knockdown, as if there was no way Ward could rebound from it. Maybe because no one's used to seeing that happen to Ward, in their minds it becomes more devastating than it actually was.

When in any other fight have you seen Ward concede centre ring and be backed up nearly the whole fight?

That for me was one of the key factors in scoring those close rounds - Kovs cleaner work and ring generalship over Wards clinch n kidney punch approach

People are conditioned to call any combat sport decision that might be close or controversial a "robbery".

Tom_Cody

I think as a poster said above it's because it was a UD with all scoring it the same way, yet far more folks seem to have Kov winning.

If it was a split decision or even a majority decision to Ward I don't think there would be anywhere near such an outcry but a UD?
The judges disagreed on many rounds. The matching totals are just a matter of random luck.

They score it round-by-round. They don't get the choice to simply call it a draw at the end because it was close.

It was a close fight, the judges disagreed with each other at different points of the fight, but their totals just happened to match at the end.

The judges disagreed on many rounds. The matching totals are just a matter of random luck.

They score it round-by-round. They don't get the choice to simply call it a draw at the end because it was close.

It was a close fight, the judges disagreed with each other at different points of the fight, but their totals just happened to match at the end.

Yeah and they all had the last round to Ward? WTF Clear Kovalev round!

MVP

Banned

Watching Ward fight is like watching John Ruiz fight, most people just want him and his style to go away, or at least stop mentioning him in the top 5 p4p, when he fights once every couple of years and when he does it's a shit-fest. It isn't even technically appealing for the purists, it's just like he tries to ugly his way to a win every time.

We all thought we were done with the nightmare, but he somehow weaseled his way out with a win.

Watching Ward fight is like watching John Ruiz fight, most people just want him and his style to go away, or at least stop mentioning him in the top 5 p4p, when he fights once every couple of years and when he does it's a shit-fest. It isn't even technically appealing for the purists, it's just like he tries to ugly his way to a win every time.

No they don't. LOL Man, you saltier than a muthafucka.

Tonight was a really great high level fight.

Your guy lost a razor thin close decision #DEALWITHIT

114-113 a robbery lol ridiculous Andre fought like champion and Kovalev faded in those later rounds due to the body work.

When in any other fight have you seen Ward concede centre ring and be backed up nearly the whole fight?

That for me was one of the key factors in scoring those close rounds - Kovs cleaner work and ring generalship over Wards clinch n kidney punch approach
Ward landed his fair share of clean shots, even more so down the stretch. Just because Kov kept coming forward doesn't mean he was in total control. You are confusing ring generalship and aggression. Kov wasn't imposing his will on Ward, not like the early rounds. Yes he was pressing, but he wasn't landing more than a few shots here and there and some jabs.

I.... Actually can see it going either way after thinking about it some more. Sure we saw Kov taking the center and chasing Ward. Sure we saw Kov delivering some good shots all around. But what we need to realizd is the fact that Kov never really capitalize on the knock down. He just kept going back to his original plan and it backfired on him last night.

Sure I was salty after the fight because I've had some beers but thinking about it again for about 3-4 times, Ward definitely outboxed Kov. Got the better and cleaner body shots and, this was important, he destroyed Kov in the clinch game. Kov tried too hard to try and outbox a boxer who knows the clinch game and it cost him the fight. My friend was screaming for Kov to remain outside and box from a distance. Kov tried but Ward was just that good in securing a clinch where the ref couldn't split them up.

People really underestimated how bad the body work can affect a person. It really showed last night. Kov never showed and "danger" signs when he was hit with multiple body shots but you can clearly tell that he was no longer snappy and fast like he was in the first few rounds after Ward worked the body. Ward knew he couldn't knock Kov out so he went after the body to tire Kov out and it worked 1000%.

TuXx

I'm just happy for my dude Andre Ward. Always underappreciated and never treated fairly as a champion. Dude finally gets what he deserves and is solidified in boxing

I don't think Kovalev was robbed. It was tight but Ward had the cleaner punches and don't forget that some judges score movement and defense which are Ward's strong points.

Tom_Cody

I suppose what I mean in that is that in a close round usually most judges will give it to the ring general / dominant fighter who commands centre ring and backs up the other fighter - and that was Kov all night long.

If a challenger comes in and takes centre ring and does what Kov does it usually pays in their favour for close rounds.

I.... Actually can see it going either way after thinking about it some more. Sure we saw Kov taking the center and chasing Ward. Sure we saw Kov delivering some good shots all around. But what we need to realizd is the fact that Kov never really capitalize on the knock down. He just kept going back to his original plan and it backfired on him last night.

Sure I was salty after the fight because I've had some beers but thinking about it again for about 3-4 times, Ward definitely outboxed Kov. Got the better and cleaner body shots and, this was important, he destroyed Kov in the clinch game. Kov tried too hard to try and outbox a boxer who knows the clinch game and it cost him the fight. My friend was screaming for Kov to remain outside and box from a distance. Kov tried but Ward was just that good in securing a clinch where the ref couldn't split them up.

People really underestimated how bad the body work can affect a person. It really showed last night. Kov never showed and "danger" signs when he was hit with multiple body shots but you can clearly tell that he was no longer snappy and fast like he was in the first few rounds after Ward worked the body. Ward knew he couldn't knock Kov out so he went after the body to tire Kov out and it worked 1000%.
Btw, this is not a term that exists in boxing. It's not part of the scoring criteria. I'm not sure what you guys are talking about.

jayvo

I was certain the knockdown is the 2nd round would have been in Kovalev's favor for the final score...

It was in Kovalev's favor. It just wasn't enough. Kovalev couldn't capitalize on that knockdown and as a result, Ward adjusted. So Kovalev diehard fans down't want to accept that he lost, but he lost. And I'm a fan of both Kovalev and Ward, but Ward adapted and won the later rounds.

Top Bottom