• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

It was in Kovalev's favor. It just wasn't enough. Kovalev couldn't capitalize on that knockdown and as a result, Ward adjusted. So Kovalev diehard fans down't want to accept that he lost, but he lost. And I'm a fan of both Kovalev and Ward, but Ward adapted and won the later rounds.

Thanks for the clarification.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I rewatched the fight in HD and still have it 114-113 Ward.

Those jabs that Ward threw since round 1 to Kovalev's Solar Plexus are counted as body shots which are power shots. Which count a lot more than just your standard jab that Kovalev threw through the whole fight.

I still think it was super close and a rematch is in order. I still got Ward winning it in the rematch though.

It was in Kovalev's favor. It just wasn't enough. Kovalev couldn't capitalize on that knockdown and as a result, Ward adjusted. So Kovalev diehard fans down't want to accept that he lost, but he lost. And I'm a fan of both Kovalev and Ward, but Ward adapted and won the later rounds.

Yup. It was a battle of who adapted to what happened and Ward adapted fairly quick. I'm not sure who to pick in the rematch though.

PR_rambo

Banned
I've got Lomachenko, but Walters is no joke. Has a big reach advantage, and is the harder hitter.

I still think Vasyl wins though he is a complete fighter, and has been more active.

Brashnir

Yup got Lomachenko taking this.

I have him favored as well, but don't sleep on Walters - he's a heck of a fighter himself.

Lomachenko tends to stand in range and is available to hit. He's good at slipping and taking the sting out of punches, but against quality competition, if you stay in there long enough, you're going to take a hot one. Not sure if Walters will be the one to do it, but it's going to happen eventually, and if Walters does catch him, he has the weapons to follow up.

This is the best fighter Lomachenko has seen yet. Should be a good one, though I do expect Loma to win.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I've got 1-1 so far. Gave the second to Walters. Some impressive work for him in there. Close rounds...again. Shades of Ward/Kovalev.

Edit. 2-1 Walters. Good finish for Lomachenko in that round though.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Lomachenko turned the machine on.

2-2 for far for me but...If Lomachenko keeps this up, he's got this in the bag. Perfect technical boxing from him, in that round.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
3-2 Lomachenko

Last two rounds were incredible for Lomachenko. Fight 3 rounds were close but since Round 4, he's been in the zone.

PR_rambo

Banned
5 to none

Fight going along with Walters not able to land. Lomachenko defensively untouchable

6 to nothing

Walters able to land some body shots but still severely outworked

Brashnir

Walters needs to get busier if he's going to get anything done. He's geting southpawed by a technician with great footwork right now. Only way to disrupt that is to make him deal with some heat.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
5-2 Lomachenko

And he's coasting at this point. Incredibly dominant performance since Round 4.

Well that's one way to end it.

PR_rambo

Banned
Lomachenko is easily in the top ten p4p

His problem now is that this was his biggest opponent in the nearest weight class. He won't have a challenge unless he goes up to 140 someday.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not a big fan of fighters quitting on their stool. I understand that boxing is a tough and dangerous sport (one amateur fight myself) but...quitting like this. So lame.

Walters wasn't even marked up. Got frustrated and quit. Yeesh.

Lomachenko has no competition unless he moves up a couple weight classes. Way too good.

PR_rambo

Banned
Not a big fan of fighters quitting on their stool. I understand that boxing is a tough and dangerous sport (one amateur fight myself) but...quitting like this. So lame.

When they're getting rocked and bleeding, while not being able to land effective shots, then its fine because all thats left is to get laid out on the mat. Might as well preserve your health, but Walters was not in that kind of danger yet.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
When they're getting rocked and bleeding, while not being able to land effective shots, then its fine because all thats left is to get laid out on the mat. Might as well preserve your health, but Walters was not in that kind of danger yet.

That's the worst part. He just got frustrated once Lomachenko started outgunning him. Too many fighters recently on the news ending up in artificial comas, or dying in their first fight...
But he wasn't hurt. He wasn't wobbled. He just rage quit and disconnected.

Fun trivia. Won my only fight via rage quit too! And I was about to rage quit myself. So I kind of get him lol.

I think he felt the stoppage coming, and just mentally checked out. He couldn't catch the guy when he was fresh, then after being worn down this guy just ramps up on him. He couldn't believe it, but you still have to persevere. Bad call by Walters. Lomenchenko is the best fighter in the sport hands down; just a special fighter.

Just caught a delayed stream of Loma vs Walters, Loma just too good for Walters who could not cope with his movement and speed. The sidestep that Loma does so well really nullified Walters right.

Whilst Lomachenko really picked up the pace in rounds 5 through 7, very surprised at Walters quitting - I gave him the 3rd round,but at no point did he look like he hurt Loma.I wonder if he had an injury or something? Very strange otherwise, quitting just due to frustration maybe...

Sensational performance by Lomachenko.

Indeed. Talk of him now moving up to take on Terry Flanagan who won last night as well.

Whilst Flanagan has a 3 inch height and similar reach advantage, Loma is just so good I would not bet against him.

3 weight champion in under 10 fights??? That's just insane

Anyone watching the Crawford fight tonight? Yea it's not really interesting but you have to take what you can get. It's been kind of a weak fall for boxing.

Top Bottom