• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazil pledges Olympic security after Rio violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9BDC2QO0&show_article=1
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - Brazilian officials are insisting security won't be a problem for the 2016 Olympics, despite drug-gang violence that plunged Rio de Janeiro into a day of bloody chaos just two weeks after it was picked to host the games.

An hourslong firefight between rival gangs in one of the city's slums killed a dozen people, injured six and saw a police helicopter shot down and eight buses set on fire Saturday.

Two officers died and four were injured when bullets from the gang battle ripped into their helicopter hovering overhead, forcing it into a fiery crash landing on a soccer field. Gunfire on the ground killed 10 suspected gunmen and wounded two bystanders.

Authorities said the mayhem would only toughen their resolve to improve security ahead of the Olympics and before 2014, when Brazil will host the World Cup soccer tournament with key games in Rio, the country's second-biggest city.

Rio state Gov. Sergio Cabral grimly told reporters Saturday that the city's security challenges can't be cured "by magic in the short term." But he said that money is being poured into programs to reduce crime and that authorities are prepared to mount an overwhelming security presence at the sporting events to ensure safety.

"We told the International Olympic Committee that this won't be an easy thing, and they know that," Cabral said. "We can put 40,000 people on the streets—federal, state and municipal police—and pull off the event."

Saturday's fighting raged about five miles (eight kilometers) southwest of one of the zones where Rio's 2016 Olympics will be held.

It was on Oct. 2 that the city was chosen over Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo to host the games. Rio alone among the bid cities was highlighted for questions about security ahead of the vote by the International Olympic Committee.

Rio is one of the world's most dangerous cities. Although violence is mostly contained within its sprawling shantytowns, it sometimes spills into posh beach neighborhoods and periodically shuts down a highway linking the international airport to tourist destinations.

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has played down the threat of violence for the Olympics, saying Rio has repeatedly demonstrated it can put on big events without risks to participants. The Pan-American Games in 2007 were held without major incidents after authorities deployed 15,000 specially trained officers.

The latest spasm of bloodshed erupted before dawn in the Morro dos Macacos ("Monkey Hill" in Portuguese) slum in the northern part of Rio when rival gangs shot it out in a dispute over territory.

Police moved into the area, but gunfire continued into late afternoon, keeping frightened people cowering inside their homes as bullets slammed into apartment buildings.

Gunfire from the battle tore into the police helicopter monitoring the fighting and hit the pilot in the leg, causing him to lose control and crash. Two officers aboard died, while the pilot and three other policemen escaped as the craft burst into flames. All four were burned, one gravely, said Mario Sergio Duarte, head of Rio state's military police.

Officials said they did not know if the gangs targeted the helicopter or it was hit by stray bullets.

Rio police frequently use helicopters in confronting gangs that dominate drug trafficking in the city's more than 1,000 slums, but were unable to say whether one of their aircraft had been shot down previously.

MrHicks

Banned
south africa better get security done right too with the world cup and all
this is one of the problems of giving major events to second/third world nations

offcourse every event has security issues no matter where but its a whole different animal in these poorer countries

Brazil is respectably wealthy as a nation, they just have really bad slums and are well known for it.

city%20of%20god%20poster.jpg

I was reading about some people setting a train on fire because it was like 20 minutes late a week ago I think.

Rio Olympics are fucked. haha

Darklord

Banned
Why do these events always take place in troubled countries now? It's fucking stupid. India might even have to forfeit the commonwealth games before it starts.

Fjolle

Darklord said:
Why do these events always take place in troubled countries now? It's fucking stupid. India might even have to forfeit the commonwealth games before it starts.
I'll vote for the Afghanistan winter olympics 2018 :)

Fjolle

Instigator said:
What are they going to do in 2016? Round up all the street kids and put them in camps?
They already are in camps. They just need to build walls around them..

cvxfreak

At least Beijing is in actuality a very safe city in terms of violent crime.

It'll be interesting to see how Rio can deal with its problems in the next 7 years.

Joe211

MrHicks said:
south africa better get security done right too with the world cup and all
this is one of the problems of giving major events to second/third world nations

offcourse every event has security issues no matter where but its a whole different animal in these poorer countries
You know South Africa had the Rugby World Cup without major problem.

harSon

Banned
This happened within a slum, it's like condemning Los Angeles as a whole for the violent crimes happening within Compton.

ZeroGravity

Darklord said:
Because groups like the IOC are more concerned about making statements with their games instead of awarding them to the cities that actually are best equipped to hold them.

Noshino

Joe211 said:
You know South Africa had the Rugby World Cup without major problem.

You are comparing an event that had about 1.1 million attendees.....to a sports event that last time had over 3 million attendees and draws the most attention in the world....:lol :lol

harSon

Banned
Noshino said:
You are comparing an event that had about 1.1 million attendees.....to a sports event that last time had over 3 million attendees and draws the most attention in the world....:lol :lol

And?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
harSon said:
This happened within a slum, it's like condemning Los Angeles as a whole for the violent crimes happening within Compton.

I think the things going on in Brazil are a bit different than what things are going on in Compton.

Hootie

An hourslong firefight between rival gangs in one of the city's slums killed a dozen people, injured six and saw a police helicopter shot down and eight buses set on fire Saturday.

Holy shit.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
harSon said:
Is there a large amount of organized crime in compton?
Brazil is on some serious, i will fucking kill,blow up your house, rape your daughter and shoot down your helicopters shit.

good luck with that. having been to 75+ countries, rio is probably one of the most dangerous cities in the world. my favorite optional excursion was the bullet-proof bus ride through a favela. :lol

shuri

Banned
harSon said:
I dont think you can really compare Compton with the slums of Rio

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
What will not be all over the news in the next few years: the methods Rio uses to "deal" with it's criminal problem. Expect a lot of dead people in the favelas.

Drastic

"An hourslong firefight between rival gangs in one of the city's slums killed a dozen people, injured six and saw a police helicopter shot down and eight buses set on fire Saturday."

Reads like GTA gameplay.

harSon said:
You know that the favelas in Rio are huge, don´t you?
Check Google maps and see how many times the word 'favela' appears.

There´s also this link with them highlighted (although I´m not sure if it is 100% accurate):
Favelas do Rio de Janeiro

Enosh said:
translation:
"we are bribing the local gang leaders to stfu during the olympics"
Shhhhh, we´re supposed to pretend the safety is due real government efforts to fight crime.
What´s next? Tell us that politicians will fill their pockets with diverted money from the preparations?
Stop ruining secrets!!

BowieZ

Banned
Man people are unduly harsh on the IOC and on cities like Rio.

The Modern Olympics have been going on for 113 years, I think it's acceptable for the Games to eventually be held in cities with more complex humanitarian issues.

Not only that, but Rio does have 7 years to make some positive changes with regard to the Favelas. A lot can be accomplished in that window.

The Games there won't be perfect, and there will be controversies leading up to and during the event, but surely there are benefits that outweigh the concerns?

harSon said:
The article mentioned that the slum in question is a mere 5 miles from where some of the Olympic events are going to be held. It's a legitimate concern.

siddx

My mother just mentioned that back in the late 70's, her and my father used to go into the favelas all the time to buy weed :lol

BowieZ

Banned
missbreedsiddx said:
My mother just mentioned that back in the late 70's, her and my father used to go into the favelas all the time to buy weed :lol
haha. yeah, it's like the bottom of capitalism's barrel.

equap said:
Spain or Japan should have gotten the game instead.
Why?

Enosh said:
translation:
"we are bribing the local gang leaders to stfu during the olympics"
Cynical.

BowieZ said:
Man people are unduly harsh on the IOC and on cities like Rio.

The Modern Olympics have been going on for 113 years, I think it's acceptable for the Games to eventually be held in cities with more complex humanitarian issues.

Not only that, but Rio does have 7 years to make some positive changes with regard to the Favelas. A lot can be accomplished in that window.

The Games there won't be perfect, and there will be controversies leading up to and during the event, but surely there are benefits that outweigh the concerns?
I´d like to agree with you. But given Brazil´s history about government actions to improve things (selflessly, not to divert money from public works that end costing 2, 3 or more times the original budget) probably, as someone already said, the "here take this and keep the low profile during the games" money to gang leaders is more likely.

BowieZ

Banned
Youta Mottenai said:
I´d like to agree with you. But given Brazil´s history about government actions to improve things (selflessly, not to divert money from public works that end costing 2, 3 or more times the original budget) probably, as someone already said, the "here take this and keep the low profile during the games" money to gang leaders is more likely.
So what is the solution? How does Brazil resolve the slums and drug/gang violence? How?

And if there is no solution, can you really condemn the city from ever hosting the Olympic Games? Is it really a reflection on Rio's character as a city that it essentially neighbors a thriving hub of drugs and violence? Does "blocking out" a potentially unsolvable crisis remove it from hosting contention?

Pakkidis

Im pretty sure the IOC is going to see how the olympics turn out in RIO as a benchmark to host in other places. I hope nothing goes wrong but RIO has some pretty nasty slums.

siddx

Shit, i'd be more concerned about the driving. 70 miles an hour on a curve on the wrong side of the road down a winding mountain pass in a bus type driving. Who needs to worry about the favelas when you'll die in the car on the way there? :p

Noshino

harSon said:

His response was to a comment with concerns over whether South Africa can provide enough security, you can't compare the Rugby World Cup to the FIFA World Cup. Were the measures in place back then good enough, I guess, but good enough for the Footbal World Cup? Not really. The magnitude of the event is many times bigger.

Guns fired in favela. News at 11.

And no, this is not the first time a helicopter has been shot down. They have anti aircraft missiles for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom