• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazil pledges Olympic security after Rio violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
inner-G said:
Stupid Olympics, they deserve it.

Should've been in Chicago! :lol
If you're playing the righteousness card, why award the Olympics to a warmongering nation like the United States? Can some drug violence in a relatively small portion of an Olympic host city compare to the global wartime violence by an Olympic host country?

It's an unfair and stupid argument all round.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
BowieZ said:
If you're playing the righteousness card, why award the Olympics to a warmongering nation like the United States? Can some drug violence in a relatively small portion of an Olympic host city compare to the global wartime violence by an Olympic host country?

:lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
BowieZ said:

Seriously, the Chinese kill babies too and they got to host the past Olympics!

Norante said:
Yeah, and let's add NASCAR and hot dog eating contests as olympic sports while we are at it.

Still more wholesome than killin' cops and prostitutin' children!

BowieZ said:

What?

There's no righteousness in this thread--people are worried about actual violence at the Olympics. Why are you trying to act like that's an illegitimate concern?

BowieZ

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
What?

There's no righteousness in this thread--people are worried about actual violence at the Olympics. Why are you trying to act like that's an illegitimate concern?
That's not entirely true; some people were complaining about the solution to the Favelas to be spending money on barricading the remaining unbarricaded slum regions, or spending money on bribery.

Of course some people will think the Rio Olympics will not be safe regardless, but others are leveling judgment and cynicism on the way the Brazilian Government will potentially go about handling its humanitarian issues, a controversy even the most Western countries (if not cities) face.

g23

European pre-madonna
a chopper was shotdown? wtf if that happened over.........omg the media outrage:lol

Particle Physicist

i find it hilarious how some people so vehemently defend any country not called the U.S. over any type of criticism.. yet have absolutely no qualms jumping into a poli-gaf (or related) thread and criticizing the U.S. government and/or their people. .

..just a funny observation..

Septy

quadriplegicjon said:
i find it hilarious how some people so vehemently defend any country not called the U.S. over any type of criticism.. yet have absolutely no qualms jumping into a poli-gaf (or related) thread and criticizing the U.S. government and/or their people. .

Those wiley foreigners, fortunately Americans never do simlar things like that.

Particle Physicist

Septy said:
Those wiley foreigners, fortunately Americans never do simlar things like that.

As a 'foreigner' myself, i've noticed that Americans tend to be a bit more receptive to their criticisms.. and in fact, dole them out themselves.. the main difference is that amount of fervor behind the defense of said criticisms.

i constantly see/hear 'how dare you criticize our country/culture.. how typical of an american!'

Septy

quadriplegicjon said:
As a 'foreigner' myself, i've noticed that Americans tend to be a bit more receptive to their criticisms.. and in fact, dole them out themselves.. the main difference is that amount of fervor behind the defense of said criticisms.

i constantly see/hear 'how dare you criticize our country/culture.. how typical of an american!'

My anecdotal experience is quite different. Just a funny observation.

Particle Physicist

Septy said:
My anecdotal experience is quite different. Just a funny observation.

i guess. but i can point to two major threads here on gaf where people pissed off at 'american criticism'

oh, and that's another thing. they also tend to assume that the criticism is coming from an american.

tino

Banned
Everything I know about Brazil came from that movie. Yeah that movie..

(And the carnival-fucking videos.)

quadriplegicjon said:
i guess. but i can point to two major threads here on gaf where people pissed off at 'american criticism'

oh, and that's another thing. they also tend to assume that the criticism is coming from an american.
Hit the nail on the head.

The Spanish one was mind blowing--for some reason they thought it was an American thing and proudly stated they didn't care about American political correctness. Dumbfucks can't wrap their heads around the fact that they were insulting Asians worldwide. Apparently the reception they received in China wasn't reported in Spain.

BowieZ

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:

I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but I only brought up the U.S. in this thread (in a negative light) because the preceding poster brought up Chicago and laughed with smugness at the IOC for not choosing that city.

Ignis Fatuus said:
BowieZ said:

What?

(P.S. I said "if".)

Heh, I mentioned this in the Olympic thread. I was surprised they chose Brazil considering the violence that occurs there. They have 7 years to fix this or else this will be the first and last time the Olympics will be held in a South American country.

Masta_Killah said:
Heh, I mentioned this in the Olympic thread. I was surprised they chose Brazil considering the violence that occurs there. They have 7 years to fix this or else this will be the first and last time the Olympics will be held in a South American country.
I'm actually pretty confident that Brazil will be able to secure the games, one way or another.

BowieZ

Banned
Masta_Killah said:
I think you're painting South America with a rather broad brush, there... and I'm pretty sure the IOC voters were aware that the problem wouldn't get entirely "fixed" in 7 years' time. The question I've brought up, and has remained unanswered so far, is why a city *needs* to solve such humanitarian crises in order to host the Olympics? Is there anything abjectly wrong with Rio's Mayor and the President temporarily blocking off the Favelas and filling the town with 40,000+ security personnel?

fmcato

Ignis Fatuus said:
Hit the nail on the head.

The Spanish one was mind blowing--for some reason they thought it was an American thing and proudly stated they didn't care about American political correctness. Dumbfucks can't wrap their heads around the fact that they were insulting Asians worldwide. Apparently the reception they received in China wasn't reported in Spain.

The booing in the China-Spain match?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/sports/14iht-OLYARATON.1.15281523.html
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26193825/

Roto13

Rio is like a freaking warzone these days. I was almost surprised that the IOC decided to give them the Olympics, but they gave them to China so whatever.

Arde5643

Roto13 said:
Rio is like a freaking warzone these days. I was almost surprised that the IOC decided to give them the Olympics, but they gave them to China so whatever.
At the very least you won't get killed by gunshots or mortar fires in the streets of China. :lol

Ikael

I have lived in Brazil for 1 year, and I have stayed in Rio many weeks. Brazil deserved the Olympics, but Rio? Why Rio? There are far better cities in Brazil than this one. Most unsafe city that I have ever been. And not because of favela fighting, which is the extreme, but rather because of the day by day things. The lack of mental hospitals getting the streets full of disturbed people, being on Copacabana 3 hours and being offered marijuana and extasis 4 times, 2 years old selling candies in the street, droves of homess, the fact that there is not only bad neighbourhoods but also bad steets or even block of flats that you have to avoid, making walking in the city similar to walk in a minefield... seriously, this is going to be an Olympic game full of, hum, "funny stories" to tell to your grandchildren.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
quadriplegicjon said:

Happens in almost every thread in OT. Pancakes? MP3 players? Best believe someone will find a way to criticize the US!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
BowieZ said:

What do you mean why? Because in Spain and Japan police helicopters aren't being shot down during hours-long drug gang shootouts. That's why.

harSon said:
This happened within a slum, it's like condemning Los Angeles as a whole for the violent crimes happening within Compton.

Yeah, police helicopters get shot down all the time in Los Angeles.

Suddenly it makes sense why Rio is one of the locations in Modern Warfare 2 :lol

BowieZ said:
I think you're painting South America with a rather broad brush, there... and I'm pretty sure the IOC voters were aware that the problem wouldn't get entirely "fixed" in 7 years' time. The question I've brought up, and has remained unanswered so far, is why a city *needs* to solve such humanitarian crises in order to host the Olympics? Is there anything abjectly wrong with Rio's Mayor and the President temporarily blocking off the Favelas and filling the town with 40,000+ security personnel?

Yeah, because all of those security personnel are going to make the place safer. If sheer numbers of "security personnel" made a region safer, Palestine would be the safest place in the world, with half the population carrying AK-47s around and being paid by the government to provide "security".

China isn't a relevant comparison because China has proven that it is able to maintain order in its cities. Brazil hasn't so far.

BowieZ

Banned
DrFunk said:
Happens in almost every thread in OT. Pancakes? MP3 players? Best believe someone will find a way to criticize the US!
As does blind adulation of the US. What's your point?

Vercingetorix said:
Yeah, because all of those security personnel are going to make the place safer. If sheer numbers of "security personnel" made a region safer, Palestine would be the safest place in the world, with half the population carrying AK-47s around and being paid by the government to provide "security".

China isn't a relevant comparison because China has proven that it is able to maintain order in its cities. Brazil hasn't so far.
Meh. I can't wait till several Olympic athletes get murdered and innocent spectators are involved in druggings and gang warfare... as that's what everyone in this thread believe will happen. Rio has the games now, let's embrace the inevitable :)

BowieZ

Banned
DrFunk said:
simply stating fact dude, by agreeing with the poster I quoted
Fair enough; I guess presenting one half of the facts is pretty simple, and doesn't engender a biased angle or anything.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
popcorn.png

Meier

BowieZ said:

Nice.

Zeke

wtf seven years is no where near enough time to get their shit straight. I hope nothing pops off during the games and no gets hurt. Really dumb move to give it to a city with such a reputation. Surely there has to be another city in Brazil that is safer than Rio.

bh7812

Banned
Zeke said:
wtf seven years is no where near enough time to get their shit straight. I hope nothing pops off during the games and no gets hurt. Really dumb move to give it to a city with such a reputation. Surely there has to be another city in Brazil that is safer than Rio.

The day Rio got the games, when they were showing coverage in diff areas of the city I have to say some of those areas were some of the most run down areas I've ever seen.

I mean no offense to the hard working innocent people that DO live in Rio just trying to honestly get by day to day or to the country in general but I don't think Rio is ready for something like the Olympics. The increase in violence in the few weeks since they were awarded the Games plus that police helicopter being shot down is NOT good at all. If Rio pulls this all off on time and on schedule I'll be very surprised. They won't pull it off on budget that's for sure. It will cost more like 26 billion instead of the projected 13 billion dollar budget. I just don't feel Rio was the right choice. It was a very emotional argument but I really think the violence and crime problem are something Rio cannot fix in just 7 years. It will take much longer than that. I think any of the 3 other candidate cities would have been MUCH better MUCH safer choices.

I wish Rio luck but I think this is gonna be a huge 3 ring circus fiasco.

BowieZ

Banned
This thread is full of civic planning experts and fortune tellers, apparently. As if anybody had predicted the Beijing Olympics were to have been one of the greatest ever.

Particle Physicist

BowieZ said:
I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but I only brought up the U.S. in this thread (in a negative light) because the preceding poster brought up Chicago and laughed with smugness at the IOC for not choosing that city.

it wasn't just you.. but now that you mentioned it.. how odd that you did not seem to come out against those that brought up Japan and Spain in this thread in the same fashion as those that brought up the U.S.

BowieZ said:
As does blind adulation of the US. What's your point?

blind adulation of the U.S. ? where?

BowieZ said:
This thread is full of civic planning experts and fortune tellers, apparently. As if anybody had predicted the Beijing Olympics were to have been one of the greatest ever.

People brought up legit criticism against China at the time.. and guess what? Nobodies panties were bunched up.

apart from that, the major differences here is that Beijing was incredibly polluted, Rio has immense crime rates.. two completely different situations.

Meier

BowieZ said:
This thread is full of civic planning experts, fortune tellers and one pompous asshole, apparently. As if anybody had predicted the Beijing Olympics were to have been one of the greatest ever.
Fixed.

blanky

Shawsie64 said:
Sooo, im going to Brazil in June next year for a holiday.. will I die GAF?

nah dude, you'll love it ^^ I did and i went in the "winter" :p I loved Rio. beautiful city can't wait to go back there. Just don't go looking for trouble and you should be fine.

skybaby

Being surrounded by shitty countries sucks ass. Both weapons that shot that chopper down where marked as property of the Bolivean army :lol

edit: And why are you worried about violence? These are drug dealers, they supply the city with drugs. The flood of foreigners looking for a fix is going to do great for their business, they're not gonna jeopardize that and will be pretty quiet during the events.
These are not terrorists

skybaby said:
Being surrounded by shitty countries sucks ass. Both weapons that shot that chopper down where marked as property of the Bolivean army :lol

edit: And why are you worried about violence? These are drug dealers, they supply the city with drugs. The flood of foreigners looking for a fix is going to do great for their business, they're not gonna jeopardize that and will be pretty quiet during the events.
These are not terrorists
There is a potential for kidnappings and such but again, I'm pretty sure Brazil has the resources to secure the games one way or another. Hell if poor ass Greece was able to pull it off Brazil should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom