• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazil pledges Olympic security after Rio violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowieZ

Banned
Meier said:
Hell YEAH I'm a pompous asshole. I mean, criticizing people for in my opinion talking extensively about stuff about which they know nothing about -- doing so by facetiously calling them "civil planning experts" or "fortunetellers" -- clearly makes me deserve to be called an "asshole". There is definitely room for that in any debate, it's not overstepping a certain boundary, so thank you for exercising that!

BowieZ said:
I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but I only brought up the U.S. in this thread (in a negative light) because the preceding poster brought up Chicago and laughed with smugness at the IOC for not choosing that city.

(P.S. I said "if".)

He brought up Chicago because you wouldn't see fucking police helicopters shot down and buses blown up. His point was that it's a safer city than Rio. That's it. No political commentary or "righteousness bullshit" The simplest of points completely flew over your head

negitoro7

Salazar said:
World Cup in South Africa. Olympics in Rio.

Kidnapper's buffet.

taken-poster.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
He brought up Chicago because you wouldn't see fucking police helicopters shot down and buses blown up. His point was that it's a safer city than Rio. That's it. No political commentary or "righteousness bullshit" The simplest of points completely flew over your head
What about a terrorist attack on Chicago in retaliation to the past 13 years of war waged by the US?

Roto13

BowieZ said:
What about a terrorist attack on Chicago in retaliation to the past 13 years of war waged by the US?
WHAT ABOUT A SUPER GENIUS MONKEY MUTANT BORN IN A LAB IN CHICAGO BUILDING AN ATOM BOMB AND ACCIDENTALLY DESTROYING THE CITY WITH IT WHEN HE CAN NO LONGER RESIST THE URGE TO THROW HIS FECES AT IT OH MY GOD WE'RE DOOOOOMEDD!!!

Roto13 said:
WHAT ABOUT A SUPER GENIUS MONKEY MUTANT BORN IN A LAB IN CHICAGO BUILDING AN ATOM BOMB AND ACCIDENTALLY DESTROYING THE CITY WITH IT WHEN HE CAN NO LONGER RESIST THE URGE TO THROW HIS FECES AT IT OH MY GOD WE'RE DOOOOOMEDD!!!

:lol

Shawsie64

Banned
blanky said:
nah dude, you'll love it ^^ I did and i went in the "winter" :p I loved Rio. beautiful city can't wait to go back there. Just don't go looking for trouble and you should be fine.

:D sweet, cant wait!

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/world/AP/story/1290040.html

SAO PAULO -- Brazil's president promised Monday to battle drug traffickers who launched a weekend of bloody chaos that killed 21 people in Rio de Janeiro just two weeks after the city won the 2016 Olympic games.

"We'll do anything it takes and make all necessary sacrifices so we can clean up the mess that these people are imposing on Brazil," President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva told reporters in Sao Paulo.

Rio police said the death toll from weekend clashes between rival gangs had risen from 14 to 21 because more bodies were found in the Morro dos Macacos ("Monkey Hill") slum, where the shooting also downed a police helicopter.

Two of the six officers in the chopper died Saturday after the helicopter made a fiery landing on a soccer field, and a third who was badly burned died on Monday.

Silva said the federal government will give emergency funding to state authorities to combat the drug gangs that control many of Rio's 1,000 slums, and will give police a bulletproof helicopter.

He didn't mention security preparations for the Olympics, but said Brazil knows "it will take time to resolve the problems of the gangs, organized crime and the drug traffickers in Rio de Janeiro."

Other Brazilian officials have said the outbreak has strengthened their resolve to make Rio safer ahead of the games and before 2014, when Brazil will host the World Cup soccer tournament, with key games in Rio, the country's second-biggest city.

The new death toll announced in a police statement sent by e-mail to The Associated Press did not say how many of the dead were suspected gang members and how many were bystanders. Some Rio residents complained that officials wrongly classified their slain relatives as presumed criminals.

"When you have a conflict of this magnitude, the innocent people always pay the price," Silva said.

Rio state Gov. Sergio Cabral said the president promised him $59 million in fresh funds over the next six months to fight crime.

The International Olympic Committee put aside concerns about security to award the 2016 games to Rio on Oct. 2.

Silva has said that Rio has repeatedly demonstrated it can put on big events without risks to participants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom