• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bringing Dune Awakening to the Xbox Series S will be a "challenge", according to Funcom chief product officer

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
"It's one of the reasons we're coming out on PC first"

"So, it's one of the reasons we're coming out on PC first. There's a lot of optimisations we need to do before we release on the Xbox. But yeah, Xbox Series S is a challenge." Junior states in an interview at Gamescom 2024 late last month. Junior also provided insight into what some of the focus has been during ongoing closed beta tests, and stated that a lot of time has already been spent making sure the game runs on all manner of machines with different hardware specs.

"Unreal does a lot of the work for us in some ways. What we're more doing is optimisation of assets, and using various technologies, be it FSR or something else, to replicate frames. We want the game to look stunning on high-end, whether you have a 3070 or a 4090, but we also want it to look good... I don't think we've released our min-spec yet, but y'know powerful cards from a few years ago should be able to run the game. It should look good - it won't be able to leverage the ultra-spec options, but it'll still look nice."

However, given the ambitious level of scale the game is going for, we asked Junior if it'll still demand a lot from lower-spec machines, even with all the work done on optimisation. His response was optimistic. " Yeah, yeah it does. But it will still perform well on hardware that's years and years old. We'll be able to do it!"

I'm really worried about Series S lasting the whole generation at this point, and even more so I'm worried about the users that are actively using it on a day to day basis.

Funny that you just mentioned this about Dune: Awakening as I was just reading about another game delay on Xbox as well, it was about Enotria: The Last Song.

We understand how disappointing this news is to the Xbox community. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts and the hard work of our dedicated team, we’ve encountered challenges that have delayed our release on the Xbox platform. We want to emphasize that this is not a decision we’ve made lightly.

We apologize for any disappointment this may cause and sincerely thank you for your understanding and patience. As a self-published indie studio, your support means everything to us, and we are dedicated to bringing Enotria to as many players as possible.

We thank you for your continued support and understanding. We cannot wait to see you dive into the game on September 19th, 2024 on PC and PlayStation 5!
Source:

But then again here's a quick reminder about the discussion we been having since 2020:

Last edited:
qhAMsmu.gif

secret deals
Xbox tax
asshole devs
media bias
tools are not ready

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That’s probably why there are some solid rumors of Xbox Next launching in 2026.

Even if they do a handheld, that will have more usable RAM.
At this point, I think that rumor/plan will just fade away with time. Xbox will not launch a new console. They are clearly on the path to becoming a third-party publisher. And third-party publishers do not have consoles.

StereoVsn

At this point, I think that rumor/plan will just fade away with time. Xbox will not launch a new console. They are clearly on the path to becoming a third-party publisher. And third-party publishers do not have consoles.
Maybe a surface Xbox “console” that will allow people to play both PC and Xbox game (for BC basically).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Maybe a surface Xbox “console” that will allow people to play both PC and Xbox game (for BC basically).
My guess is that Xbox will license hardware and allow other companies to make their own handheld PCs that they could slap an Xbox or Microsoft Gaming logo on.

That's about it.

The main store would be Steam with an option to use the Microsoft Store (which no one will use). Those devices will just be like Asus Rog Ally with an Xbox / Microsoft logo on it. Microsoft/Xbox, the company, will have nothing much to do with it, and they will continue focusing on making games and putting them PCs, PlayStations, and Nintendo consoles.

DaGwaphics

It does seem like things are getting rough for the XSS. It's a solid little machine, but a lot of noise about that 10GB at this point.

This might be why they roll the dice on a next-gen Xbox real soon. Even if they go with the Expensive + handheld option that has been rumored, they can probably get the ram up to 16GB like the Steam Deck at minimum.

kevboard

kevboard kevboard whats your take on this?

makes me happy. you should know that. the Series S does the job I want it to do "there's a lot of optimisations we need to do" is music to my ears. that means if I'll ever play it on my PC or PS5 Pro (not sure tho as it doesn't look all that appealing to me) the Series S served as the baseline that ensures the other systems also benefit from the optimisations made.

just like Warframe benefitted from the optimisations Panic Button did on the Switch port. (20% frametime improvements on the CPU load alone iirc; which got then backported to the other versions)

the Series S is the jesus of game consoles, it suffers on our behalf for the sins of game devs. may it save us from low resolutions and FSR artifacts!

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
It does seem like things are getting rough for the XSS. It's a solid little machine, but a lot of noise about that 10GB at this point.

This might be why they roll the dice on a next-gen Xbox real soon. Even if they go with the Expensive + handheld option that has been rumored, they can probably get the ram up to 16GB like the Steam Deck at minimum.
Nintendo-64-Memory-Expansion-Pak.jpg

Nonehxc

makes me happy. you should know that. the Series S does the job I want it to do "there's a lot of optimisations we need to do" is music to my ears. that means if I'll ever play it on my PC or PS5 Pro (not sure tho as it doesn't look all that appealing to me) the Series S served as the baseline that ensures the other systems also benefit from the optimisations made.

just like Warframe benefitted from the optimisations Panic Button did on the Switch port. (20% frametime improvements on the CPU load alone iirc; which got then backported to the other versions)

the Series S is the jesus of game consoles, it suffers on our behalf for the sins of game devs. may it save us from low resolutions and FSR artifacts!
Xbox Series Savior 🙏🏻😇

reinking

Gold Member

OIG2.FfpCKLFQbHkgyj3bPImh

Stooky

‘compromises’

bundylove

What you are refering to is that the series s forces devs to actually do their job and create better more optimized engines to reduce impact on hardware .
And not rely on raw grunt of a machine to power through so bad coding. Which in rerurn benefits the stronger hardware by being able to push games at max fps or rez.

Ok here you are absolutely right and i am with you on that. We have seen from time to time how lazy devs juat blame the hardware and not themselves.

But this also creates longer dev cycles and delays. Which in return makes devs give up and ultimately cancel the game on series x as well as they dont have the money or resources for the series s optimization.

AD to the fact that the series sells poorly compared to the competition and soon devs will skip xbox all together.

Again i understand what you mean and i sympatize but i dont think its fair to the consumer.
At the very least xbox should help these devs out to optimize their games on xbox but they dont even do that.

Ebrietas

Neo Member
My guess is that Xbox will license hardware and allow other companies to make their own handheld PCs that they could slap an Xbox or Microsoft Gaming logo on.

That's about it.

The main store would be Steam with an option to use the Microsoft Store (which no one will use). Those devices will just be like Asus Rog Ally with an Xbox / Microsoft logo on it. Microsoft/Xbox, the company, will have nothing much to do with it, and they will continue focusing on making games and putting them PCs, PlayStations, and Nintendo consoles.
And just like the official Xbox console, nobody will buy the off brand version either. It offers nothing.
People really need to let go of MS as a hardware entity. It's over.

foamdino

There's a mis-apprehension that "just a bit more optimisation" by "lazy/money-hatted devs" will solve everything for Series S from some folks.

10Gb of split (and slow) ram compared to 16Gb of unified (and consistently fast) ram is a big difference to deal with.

At some point devs would have to optimise to the point where they are cutting systems/features out from the Series S version to make it fit (see Larian removing split-screen). As MS has a policy of functional parity, not only with PS5, but across Series devices, the devs have to navigate these difficult choices of what to cut out to make games fit on the S machine.

At some point it's completely reasonable for devs to say "if we cut any more we're no longer making the game we want to make, so no we'll just release on PC/PS5 and start earning and see if the funds come in to justify spending time on the XBox port"

I doubt you'll hear much explicitly around this (as devs and publishers want to stay in MS good graces), but optimisation of the kind required to make games work with parity on the S is not free and the ROI obviously isn't there given that most XBox customers don't actually buy games anymore, they just expect all games to be on gamepass...

Expect to see more delays of games (and out-right cancellations or skipping of XBox) as the generation continues (as was predicted back in 2019-2020 by some of us).

The fact that MS has sold more S than X leaves them in a very sticky situation as effectively the only way out is to kill this gen early (hence the 2026 next-gen rumours are reasonable predictions - that's if MS bother with any hw again)

MS is stuck with that console as long as they make games for the Series X as well. They basically tied these two consoles together and if they cancel the Series S game releases that’s probably ground for lawsuits right?

The entire marketing campaign for this gen was the two entry points and how all games would release in both consoles.

Top Bottom