• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT4| - "Our Only Goal In Life Is To Become As Alpha As Possible"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danj

Just got back from seeing Frozen. Really enjoyed it. Thought it was original but someone tells me it's based off a Hans Christian Andersen thing. Still cool though.

8bit

Knows the Score
Just got back from seeing Frozen. Really enjoyed it. Thought it was original but someone tells me it's based off a Hans Christian Andersen thing. Still cool though.

Went to see it with my daughter a few weeks ago and was struck that there were lot of songs, but having now witnessed her watching Tangled on Netflix that also seems to have quite a few songs.

Sploat what sort of stuff are you looking for? There's only a few of us in here that listen to much hard rock/metal, give me and idea of what you like and I'll recommend you some stuff.

Mike is making the new OT.

All disney films have a lot of songs, that's what make them so awesome. And it's the songs which make Frozen better than Tangled.

And yes Frozen is very loosely based on The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson, but they decided to make her more of an innocent victim than a villain after writing her main song.

SuperSah

Banned
On my way home to London now. Probably back in for 11pm.

I know nobody cares, but this has defo been the best weekend of my past year since moving.

Man, wanna move back.

NinjaBoiX

Glad you had fun Sah.

Cool tunes Jed, I particularly liked these ones, the lyrics on that Desaparecidos track are brilliant.
Can anybody recommend me some really really good hard rock metal type stuff?
I can't be all that much help Sploat, metal isn't really my thing and you've probably already heard most of the heavier rock stuff I'm into. I will throw a solitary shout for Faraquet into the mix though, for some reason they just sprang to mind. They might float your boat:

Faraquet - Cut Self Not
They aren't all that recent either, not sure how specific you were about that!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sploat what sort of stuff are you looking for? There's only a few of us in here that listen to much hard rock/metal, give me and idea of what you like and I'll recommend you some stuff.

I guess, something which is on a par with QOTSA, Mastodon, Tool, that kind of thing. I just realised, you see, that all of the bands I like were formed years and years ago. (Basically, I had an epiphany that the albums I still talk about as current are now 10 years old!).

Ninja: hey, no worries! You've posted loads of good stuff, it's just my narrow-mindedness e.g. what's this!? drums?!?! not played by a DRUMMER!?!?!?!?! Will have a listen.

London GAF. I'm in visiting from the US and I'm here tonight and tomorrow until 4pm. What should I try to do tonight?

Well, what do you like to do? London has everything. Do you like a drink? If so upmarket establishment or dirty rock bar? If not, maybe take a stroll along the river and take in the sights.

I guess, something which is on a par with QOTSA, Mastodon, Tool, that kind of thing. I just realised, you see, that all of the bands I like were formed years and years ago. (Basically, I had an epiphany that the albums I still talk about as current are now 10 years old!).

Welcome to my world. It's difficult as there are not that many new bands producing that sort of music. I've had to branch out into post-hardcore/screamcore type stuff like Falling in Reverse, Sleeping with Sirens etc, which I don't think will be your thing.

Some suggestions: Puscifer, the Black Keys, 65 Days of Static (who if you like these we have tons more similar suggestions - math rock yeah), Cult of Luna, The Sword

If I think of any more I'll let you know

derder

Well, what do you like to do? London has everything. Do you like a drink? If so upmarket establishment or dirty rock bar? If not, maybe take a stroll along the river and take in the sights.
I'd like to get a beer that I definitively could not get in the US. Is there an indie film theater around?

NinjaBoiX

Ninja: hey, no worries! You've posted loads of good stuff, it's just my narrow-mindedness e.g. what's this!? drums?!?! not played by a DRUMMER!?!?!?!?! Will have a listen.
I'll have you raving to acid house before the year is out Ms Sploat, just you mark my words.
Was just reminded of this as it was on the TV moments ago:

David Holmes - Gritty Shaker : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBmP-S8fAA

Compare to this.

Googie Rene Combo - Smokey Jo's La-La : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGYVB1i3KE4
Compared to what?
:D

David Holmes is awesome, but yes, he is quite the sample jockey. He makes no secret of it through, to his credit.

After what happened to Beastie Boys with Paul's Boutique, you'd be an idiot not to clear your samples these days.
Some suggestions: Puscifer, the Black Keys, 65 Days of Static (who if you like these we have tons more similar suggestions - math rock yeah), Cult of Luna, The Sword
God yes, one of my favourite bands. I never get sick of listening to them.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'll have you raving to acid house before the year is out Ms Sploat, just you mark my words.

Compared to what?
:D

David Holmes is awesome, but yes, he is quite the sample jockey. He makes no secret of it through, to his credit.

After what happened to Beastie Boys with Paul's Boutique, you'd be an idiot not to clear your samples these days.

God yes, one of my favourite bands. I never get sick of listening to them.

Haha, never thought of that.

I'd like to get a beer that I definitively could not get in the US. Is there an indie film theater around?

Indy film theatre near you is Prince Charles Cinema just off Leicester Square, tonight they're showing The Exorcist.

How about a good place to drink a beer and watch football? I'm currently at Covent Garden but can go anywhere.

Not sure where would be showing football as I don't watch it but there are loads of pubs around there, especially if you take a trot down Long Acre towards Charing Cross

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Should I be worried that I care so much about my ex signing up for OKCupid and POF? Damn emotions.

It's only natural, she probably felt the same when you joined. The question you need to ask yourself is do you just care because you shared so much history, have a child together and she was a big part of your life, or could it be that you still love her and want to get back with her? If it's the former then don't worry about it.

Mikeside

Whores - Tell Me Something Scientific
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHw4hsMzAWk

METZ - Wasted
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m6qGeNVwwfw

Part Chimp - Bring Back The Sound
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kVYvNo4f4F0

Oxes - And Giraffes Natural Enemies/Undefeated
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FRvIeYzxKAM

Shellac - Prayer to God
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9MLoY_zadsE

It started sorta modern and then I gave up.

Prayer to God is literally one of my favorite tracks ever. You're a diamond!

In other news GAF, I asked Z out proper today.

The girl obviously has good taste, she said yes.

NinjaBoiX

Holy shit, Jed. That Blood Brothers video is amazing.
Yeah, it's nuts isn't it! About a minute in I thought of you. Very manic, very noisy, very Melt Banana. They're better than MB though. ;)

I'll give your stuff a listen in a bit, Jed turned me on to Shellac a month or two ago, really tasty stuff.
In other news GAF, I asked Z out proper today.

The girl obviously has good taste, she said yes.
OFf4ivi.gif

afoni

Banned
if i made an ok cupid i would probably get all the white girls talking to me and being like "hey you sound interesting wanna meet up xox" and ill just be like "bring muffins to hyde park and we can talk, girl"

im suave

sploatee isn't allowed to reply to this >_>

Symphonia

Banned
It's only natural, she probably felt the same when you joined. The question you need to ask yourself is do you just care because you shared so much history, have a child together and she was a big part of your life, or could it be that you still love her and want to get back with her? If it's the former then don't worry about it.
I think, deep down, I do still love her.

;_;

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
My gawd, thanks for so many links. That'll keep me going for the next bloody stressful week.

So far...METZ is lovely stuff, Part Chimp are belting (remind me so much of Mclusky) , Desparedicious (sp) are good (prefer his voice in a band setting although I still wish he could calm down just a little bit), Reuben are great and I'm working on the rest.

Mikeside, congratulations! You have my blessing :)

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
if i made an ok cupid i would probably get all the white girls talking to me and being like "hey you sound interesting wanna meet up xox" and ill just be like "bring muffins to hyde park and we can talk, girl"

im suave

sploatee isn't allowed to reply to this >_>

hey you sound interesting wanna meet up xox

please wear deodorant

suave-B001FSK8Q2-1-l.jpg

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's nuts isn't it! About a minute in I thought of you. Very manic, very noisy, very Melt Banana. They're better than MB though. ;)

Do they have a hot Japanese lead singer then...? ;)

I'll give your stuff a listen in a bit, Jed turned me on to Shellac a month or two ago, really tasty stuff.

I'm not sure if you'll dig it but give it a go. I found a Part Chimp video that works this time.

Jed has as fine an eye for music as yourself.

Here's two more Shellac because, well, you can't have enough Shellac, can you?

Shellac - Copper
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5XZLEyZdfBA

Shellac - Dog & Pony Show
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3odt3mgIcHw

Part Chimp are belting (remind me so much of Mclusky)

Speaking of belting, I found a working video for the other Part Chimp track I put up last night.

Part Chimp - Fasto
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=se2mLMT-C4M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dse2mLMT-C4M

Now THAT'S what I call belting 29.

Son Of D

Finally have time to post outside of a quick post or 2 via phone after a busy weekend. Had a bit of a stressful time with worrying too much about my university application (mostly about what would happen if I didn't get in), but after I cleared my head I made a plan.

Simply put, if I don't get into University, I'll just work independently on what I want to do, which is films and/or TV (more specifically writing or editing). Won't be easy, but I've got my mind set to it. First part of the plan will be getting myself out of Devon.

Mikeside

Congrats on all fronts then, squire!

Thanks you guys! Pretty fucking happy right now :)

Gasp

Yay!!

So, like, she's your girlfriend now?

She is. It's pretty exciting. We should have a catch-up soon, I want to gush a little bit at you :)

Mike, missed that post; congratulations, buddy!

:D Thanks. Life is good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
My gawd, thanks for so many links. That'll keep me going for the next bloody stressful week.

So far...METZ is lovely stuff, Part Chimp are belting (remind me so much of Mclusky) , Desparedicious (sp) are good (prefer his voice in a band setting although I still wish he could calm down just a little bit), Reuben are great and I'm working on the rest.

If you like McLusky are you into Future of the Left as well? Love that shit. Reuben are a super awesome band who were local to me and broke up a few years back. Their fontman Jamie Lenman just put out a really good album - half blistering fucking retardo metal and half acoustic folk stuff, wonderful music.

BritGAF |OT5| Post ALL The Music Links
BritGAF |OT5| U WOT M8
BritGAF |OT5| Chinner Memorial Thread
BritGAF |OT5| Future Winners of the Nigerian Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom