• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brock Turner, Stanford sexual assault convict,to be released from jail 3 months early

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

The former Stanford University swimmer convicted of sexual assault is scheduled to be released from the Santa Clara County Jail Friday. Brock Turner was sentenced in June to six months in prison, but will get out three months early.

Zakalwe

Banned
We knew this already. I hope the publicity makes him have to face up to what he did every time he goes outside.

Why do courts continue to ignore the suffering this must put on the victim in these cases? These recent, high profile rape cases where the perpetrator is given all the benefit of the doubt by the judges, while completely ignoring the plight of the victim, is disgusting and absolutely bewildering. The rapist gets to ruin a woman's life, but heaven forbid there should actually be consequences for the violent predator.

I just can't even put into words how this makes me feel. Helpless? Furious? I can't even imagine what these cases must do to the victims and their future well-being.

liquidtmd

Banned
im_shocked.gif

KingV

The 3 months early is standard for California law + credit for good behavior + work credit. It's the same deal anybody could get witg his initial sentencing.

The initial sentencing was bullshit but there's nothing else fishy about the 3 months early. Serving 50% of your sentence is standard in California county jails if you have a good disciplinary record. Business insider reported on that specifically when he was sentenced.

Judging by some of the reactions to him I've read on social media, he might wish he'd stayed in jail after all. People are going to make his life a living hell.

Guevara

The 3 months early is standard for California law + credit for good behavior + work credit. It's the same deal anybody could get witg his initial sentencing.

The initial sentencing was bullshit but there's nothing else fishy about the 3 months early. Serving 50% of your sentence is standard in California county jails if you have a good disciplinary record. Business insider reported on that specifically when he was sentenced.
Yeah, blame the state.

Sometimes early release is a good thing, but I have trouble justifying it on such a short stay.

This story is like the perfect storm of rape culture and white privilege.

Add class privilege. Honestly if he was just some dipshit from the a poor neighborhood with poor parents, no way he would have been let off this easy.

This asshole's dad made it seem like Turner's life was going to be ruined over split milk. The fact that the Judge and everyone else there didn't respond with, think of that girls life, is disgusting.

I'm usually one to hold back the outrage, because there is enough of that around, but fuck this guy and the justice system that lets him get away with this.

Paskil

In case anyone in this thread hadn't seen it, here's the open letter penned by Vice President Joe Biden in response to the statement made by the the victim to her rapist in court. Should be required reading.

I do not know your name — but your words are forever seared on my soul. Words that should be required reading for men and women of all ages.

Words that I wish with all of my heart you never had to write.

I am in awe of your courage for speaking out — for so clearly naming the wrongs that were done to you and so passionately asserting your equal claim to human dignity.

And I am filled with furious anger — both that this happened to you and that our culture is still so broken that you were ever put in the position of defending your own worth.

It must have been wrenching — to relive what he did to you all over again. But you did it anyway, in the hope that your strength might prevent this crime from happening to someone else. Your bravery is breathtaking.

You are a warrior — with a solid steel spine.

I do not know your name — but I know that a lot of people failed you that terrible January night and in the months that followed.

Anyone at that party who saw that you were incapacitated yet looked the other way and did not offer assistance. Anyone who dismissed what happened to you as “just another crazy night.” Anyone who asked “what did you expect would happen when you drank that much?” or thought you must have brought it on yourself.

You were failed by a culture on our college campuses where one in five women is sexually assaulted — year after year after year. A culture that promotes passivity. That encourages young men and women on campuses to simply turn a blind eye.

The statistics on college sexual assault haven’t gone down in the past two decades. It’s obscene, and it’s a failure that lies at all our feet.

And you were failed by anyone who dared to question this one clear and simple truth: Sex without consent is rape. Period. It is a crime.

I do not know your name — but thanks to you, I know that heroes ride bicycles.

Those two men who saw what was happening to you — who took it upon themselves to step in — they did what they instinctually knew to be right.

They did not say “It’s none of my business.”

They did not worry about the social or safety implications of intervening, or about what their peers might think.

Those two men epitomize what it means to be a responsible bystander.

To do otherwise — to see an assault about to take place and do nothing to intervene — makes you part of the problem.

Like I tell college students all over this country — it’s on us. All of us.

We all have a responsibility to stop the scourge of violence against women once and for all.

I do not know your name — but I see your unconquerable spirit.

I see the limitless potential of an incredibly talented young woman — full of possibility. I see the shoulders on which our dreams for the future rest.

I see you.

You will never be defined by what the defendant’s father callously termed “20 minutes of action.”

His son will be.

I join your global chorus of supporters, because we can never say enough to survivors: I believe you. It is not your fault.

What you endured is never, never, never, NEVER a woman’s fault.

And while the justice system has spoken in your particular case, the nation is not satisfied.

And that is why we will continue to speak out.

We will speak to change the culture on our college campuses — a culture that continues to ask the wrong questions: What were you wearing?

Why were you there? What did you say? How much did you drink?

Instead of asking: Why did he think he had license to rape?

We will speak out against those who seek to engage in plausible deniability. Those who know that this is happening, but don’t want to get involved. Who believe that this ugly crime is “complicated.”

We will speak of you — you who remain anonymous not only to protect your identity, but because you so eloquently represent “every woman.”

We will make lighthouses of ourselves, as you did — and shine.

Your story has already changed lives.

You have helped change the culture.

You have shaken untold thousands out of the torpor and indifference towards sexual violence that allows this problem to continue.

Your words will help people you have never met and never will.

You have given them the strength they need to fight.

And so, I believe, you will save lives.

I do not know your name — but I will never forget you.

The millions who have been touched by your story will never forget you.

And if everyone who shared your letter on social media, or who had a private conversation in their own homes with their daughters and sons, draws upon the passion, the outrage, and the commitment they feel right now the next time there is a choice between intervening and walking away — then I believe you will have helped to change the world for the better.

Her statement to the court was incredibly powerful and I probably should have linked that too, but it's really long. Can read it here. https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbak...ad-to-her-ra?utm_term=.jlJr7woV9z#.vdbjBgQ4RK

Three months!? Really?

The system is beyond broken...

Edit: That open letter from Vice President Joe Biden was rather nice. I still can't believe all of this.

In case anyone in this thread hadn't seen it, here's the open letter penned by Vice President Joe Biden in response to the statement made by the the victim to her rapist in court. Should be required reading.

Her statement to the court was incredibly powerful and I probably should have linked that too, but it's really long. Can read it here. https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbak...ad-to-her-ra?utm_term=.jlJr7woV9z#.vdbjBgQ4RK

Her statement should be required reading.

As others have said, getting out in only 3 months isn't the bullshit part of this, it's the initial sentencing. I'm sure he was a model inmate, so the system rewards good behavior by early releasing a convict. He should have gotten way more than 6 months, which would have meant even with good behavior he would have stayed in prison longer. It's the initial sentencing portion that's fucked.

Coming from money sure is a swell benefit.

This played a big role with the affluenza murderer. A few years before that ruling the same judge gave another white kid 20 year in prison for killing one person while drunk. Of course he came from a poor background.

shoplifter

As others have said, getting out in only 3 months isn't the bullshit part of this, it's the initial sentencing. I'm sure he was a model inmate, so the system rewards good behavior by early releasing a convict. He should have gotten way more than 6 months, which would have meant even with good behavior he would have stayed in prison longer. It's the initial sentencing portion that's fucked.

This. Anyone angry at Mr. Turner for this particular development is barking up the wrong tree. I've seen *tons* of people threatening physical violence (or worse) on him simply for serving the sentence he was assigned.

This played a big role with the affluenza murderer. A few years before that ruling the same judge gave another white kid 20 year in prison for killing one person while drunk. Of course he came from a poor background.

There should be mandatory guidelines they have to follow (assuming there aren't already), i.e. those found guilty of murder get no less than 12 years (no upper limit depending on the criminal's attitude and remorse), those found guilty of manslaughter get between 6 - 12 years, those found guilty of rape get between 4 - 8 years, etc. Race, religion and wealth should not factor into sentencing at all.

USC-fan

Banned
This, exactly fucking this. Remember the affluenza case? If a rich black kid got drunk and killed 4 people he'd be in jail for life no question.

Such bullshit. That white privilege.
I dunno OJ got off.

having money changes everything.

LifEndz

Her statement should be required reading.

one of the most moving things I've read. She definitely has a future in advocacy on this issue because her ability to articulate how this effected her was amazing. Feel sorry for her and other victims. She went through hell to try and get justice and this is the end result. How in the hell can we expect women to come forward on this when this type of shit happens.

LifEndz

I dunno OJ got off.

having money changes everything.

ESPN did a really good documentary about OJ and in it they showed just how much the LAPD's brutality and misconduct against black people had to do with him being found not guilty. Not saying money wasn't a factor, but if he was tried in another county and didn't have a predominately black jury, I doubt that case turns out the same way no matter how much money he had.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This makes me so fucking angry. A poor person, or a minority never wouldn't gotten off this light. Period.

Fucking disgusting display of "justice."

And some people wonder why a lot of us don't have faith in the judicial system.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
this dude did 3 months for rape? wtf

i guess the only good out of this whole thing is that hes banned from swimming and registered as a sex offender for life. though clearly not enough justice for the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom