• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars is 20 – Cane & Rinse retrospective

It's 20 years old this year, imo the greatest adventure game of all time: Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars.

You play as George Stobbard, an American tourist in Paris who happens to be sitting in a sleepy cafe the moment it is blown up by a man dressed as a clown. As George picks himself up from the rubble he discovers a few clues and is pulled into a global conspiracy taking him and reporter Nice Collard to Ireland, Syria and more.

The studio, Revolution, based in the UK, created beautiful hand drawn 2D backdrops with wonderfully voiced characters, atmospheric music and a tense jet-setting plot. It's just so fucking brilliant I can't even express how much I love it.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars original trailer

brokensword_thumb-1418705805479_1280w.jpg

TvKS5of4eafMr_9-NXeJFIsxWXU4Zss44qeV8DR_CfFGLSYReDVXK2K7onVUAr1L9w=h900

latest

The studio released a sequel in Broken Sword 2 which is generally regarded as slightly lesser but still brilliant, in which George and Nico uncover another conspiracy, this time involving a military maniac attempting to uncover some dark supernatural force in the South American jungles.

latest

LwELvcbVA8EkQi8QiOjQNsaSuMkT6jZr6EAzTuuuPGpiIqmOIUGdvdMxc6qZ81PGMuA=h900

nDcQnyKPC6AT1W_ZiFpAQveA4CAsp2YFGa92pEvUFWYi1KHYvKHqb0MdJn0EoACWew=h900

These two have since been remastered and re-released, the former with new facial illustrations by the illustrator of the original Watchmen comics who is a big fan of the series and a new prologue.

After that we entered the 3D era in which every game had to be in three dimensions and adventure games as a genre pretty much died. There were two BS titles that I never played but which are generally not regarded as Broken Sword "proper".

broken-sword-3-pc-windows-screenshots__143_0.png.jpg

Broken-sword-4-mac-screenshot-1.jpg

Now in recent years we have a new resurgence of adventure games thanks in part to the success of Telltale games and also to the popularity of the genre on the Nintendo DS and 3DS (Ace Attorney, Hotel Dusk, Professor Layton etc.).

My Huber-seeing-Shenmue-announced moment was the reveal of Revolution's first game in years being Broken Sword 5, going back to it's traditional 2D point and click roots, realising my dreams of hand drawn high resolution environments. This time the duo are caught between a clandestine war between two warring factions dating back to medieval Europe.

scene_01_gallery_exterior.jpg

scene_29_montserrat_establishing_shot.jpg

Broken-Sword-5-London.jpg

I could not recommend these games more to any kind of gamer and particularly to casual/non-gamers. My girlfriend's first proper video game was the first Broken Sword and now she has played all of them and many other adventure games.

Most of all I just love the atmosphere. Every single hand drawn scene replete with ambient sounds and music feel completely immersive to me. They capture a time and a place and a moment and a feeling so perfectly, and for me that's what video games are at their best.

If you're interested in learning more, Cane & Rinse have just made an entire podcast retrospective on the game here: http://caneandrinse.com/broken-sword/

Best point and click of all time for me.

Reminds me of Christmas so much as I played the first via the surprisingly good GBA port through a random pack in title I got given with Doom and my GBA. Such an atmospheric game, and oh my god that music. Was gutted they never ported The Smoking Mirror, but later played that one on PC.

Broken Sword is an amazing series and as you mentioned, has some of the best atmosphere in any game. It's really hard not to get pulled into the world and places you visit. Great games to play if you enjoy puzzle games or narrative driven mystery games.

TriAceJP

I did myself a disservice by playing the GBA version.

I later got the PC version and replayed it. To the GBA versions credit, it wasn't a terrible port, but the art in the proper version is beautiful.

I've only played the first two. I have the first episode of whichever version is episodic, but I've yet to play it. I should do that soon.

Also I totally had nightmares about some of the scarier parts in BS1 as a kid.

"There's no Doctor under that name that works here..."

*Amazingly panic-inducing music kicks in*

I did myself a disservice by playing the GBA version.

I later got the PC version and replayed it. To the GBA versions credit, it wasn't a terrible port, but the art in the proper version is beautiful.

I've only played the first two. I have the first episode of whichever version is episodic, but I've yet to play it. I should do that soon.

Broken Sword 5. It's absolute sick, play it and love it.

The first time I played BS1 was on the GBA, was so surprised how good it was, but I remember it had a game breaking bug half way through the game that prevented you rom advancing so at that point I just restarted it on my Mac with ScummVM.

BS1, 2 and 5 are my only "annual replay" games. They just never lose their charm.

TriAceJP

Broken Sword 5. It's absolute sick, play it and love it.

The first time I played BS1 was on the GBA, was so surprised how good it was, but I remember it had a game breaking bug half way through the game that prevented you rom advancing so at that point I just restarted it on my Mac with ScummVM.

BS1, 2 and 5 are my only "annual replay" games. They just never lose their charm.

Did the bug involve a clown nose? If so, I had it too haha

Did the bug involve a clown nose? If so, I had it too haha

Haha yeah I think so. I didn't even feel bad replaying it, I knew this game was something special that I had to savour.

I can't even remember why I bought it, I'd never heard of it, I just saw the GBA cover (which was pretty bad) sitting on a shelf in my local game store, looking absolutely beat to shit, for a few quid and thought.. Whatever, that's probably all I can afford...

Turned out to be my favourite game of all time :|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
They should really release 1 and 2 HD for consoles. I'd buy the crap out of them.

vern

BS (Circle of Blood if was called then right? That was a NA thing?) was absolutely one of my favorite games as a young teen. So many great memories of George and Nico and Paris in the Fall.

BS 2 was dope but not quite the same. Played one of the 3D ones later on Xbox and hated it....had no idea there is a 2D BS5! Super excited now, thanks OP!

Everyone should play Broken Sword.

They should really release 1 and 2 HD for consoles. I'd buy the crap out of them.

They did re-release it on the Wii U, Mac, PC and iOS. I think that the iPad is one of the best ways it play it.

Definitely warrants a compilation release on PS4 of 1, 2 and 5.

BS 2 was dope but not quite the same. Played one of the 3D ones later on Xbox and hated it....had no idea there is a 2D BS5! Super excited now, thanks OP!

If even one person discovers this series this thread will be worth it to me, and dude you're in for a treat with BS5, it has the same director, voice actors, everything is just perfect.. It's like the 2000s never happened lmao.

Mideon

This episode came out a while ago but it's good to see it getting some love. It's up there with my favourite podcast episodes ever.

vern

If even one person discovers this series this thread will be worth it to me, and dude you're in for a treat with BS5, it has the same director, voice actors, everything is just perfect.. It's like the 2000s never happened lmao.

You are a good (wo)man. 👍🏽

Can't wait to play a new BS! Did it fly under the radar or was I just not paying attention? Never noticed any threads on it on GAF and I'm always here.

Has it been 20 years already? Geez I feel old.

Great thread man, I'll visit that link at some point today and have a read. Not only are the first two installments easily among the greatest point & click adventure games ever to be made, they're among the best games full stop. Excellent and frequently hilarious writing, beautiful hand-drawn environments full of detail and atmosphere up the wazoo, plenty of fiendish puzzles (most of which were fair, but some not) and the greatest goddamn protagonist of all time in George Stobbart. I still remember playing through the Lochmarne segment as a kid in front of my (Irish) family, and we were all laughing our asses off at the exchanges George had with the locals.

Got a fair amount of love for the third game as well, even if it is clearly inferior.

Also I totally had nightmares about some of the scarier parts in BS1 as a kid.

"There's no Doctor under that name that works here..."

*Amazingly panic-inducing music kicks in*

The best part of the hospital segment is when George randomly blurts out to the janitor something along the lines off...

"If you start whistling, I'll bust your teeth in!"

Totally unfitting of his character, which just made it funnier.

If anyone's going to play the first game, buy it on gog as it comes with the original version as a bonus. The directors cut is garbage and cuts out one of the most iconic moments in the game.

The BS2 directors cut was fine from memory.

It's far inferior to 1/2 though, both in terms of puzzles, story and characters

GeeTeeCee

I love the series, I first played the GBA port on release and later picked up 1 & 2 on PC when I had the chance. I also thought 3 was pretty good for a 3D attempt at the series, though I never played the Angel of Death. Also never got around to beating the second episode of 5 on the Vita, though thanks to this thread reminding me I'll probably try to complete it before Christmas.

It's a minor thing, but the scene where George travels on a train up to Scotland while chatting with two Geordies was a pleasant surprise to see as a kid from the North-East at the time. We never get to show up in anything.

skypunch

Banned
Absolutely adore Broken Sword I & II, my all-time favourite point and click games. They brought so much joy to me as a kid.

Didn't like BS5 all that much though. It's still missing something the first two games have. The humour and dialogue isn't anywhere near as good. Dave Cummins was one of the main reasons why the first two games are so amazing - he was the architect of it all. Unfortunately, he left the company just before work on In Cold Blood began because he and Charles Cecil didn't see eye to eye. They lost contact with him and he then passed away. Broken Sword will never be the Broken Sword it once was without him.

BASS, BS1 and BS2 were great because the writing was great and Cummins was the lead writer in those three. Cecil took the writing seat in BS3 and 4 and this resulted to juvenile nonsense and retarded humor.

AudioEppa

This game will be one of my top 3 favorite games of ever until I die and beyond.

Broken Sword for me was what Super Mario Brothers and Zelda was most most people.

This was one of the games that completely shocked me, I felt like I was taking control in a mature disney animation movie, it gave me something in video games I didn't know was possible.

I remember I borrowed the Playstation version from a mate in school. That goat puzzle took me fucking forever, the end was a little annoying too as it relied on timing unlike the other puzzles in the game iirc? Nevertheless it was still a brilliant game.

I bought the first couple of games on Steam a couple of years back, loaded the first one up and I was controlling the clown or some other bullshit I swear wasn't in the original version of the game? Turned it off and didn't touch it again :(

kromeo

So did no one else like sleeping dragon? I was quite young when i played it though, not sure what I'd make of it now..

I remember I borrowed the Playstation version from a mate in school. That goat puzzle took me fucking forever, the end was a little annoying too as it relied on timing unlike the other puzzles in the game iirc? Nevertheless it was still a brilliant game.

I bought the first couple of games on Steam a couple of years back, loaded the first one up and I was controlling the clown or some other bullshit I swear wasn't in the original version of the game? Turned it off and didn't touch it again :(

You want the Gog version, it comes with the original game as a bonus.

Sloane

Banned
So did no one else like sleeping dragon? I was quite young when i played it though, not sure what I'd make of it now..
It was a very different game that tried too many weird things and it lacked the charme of the first two games but, yeah, I kinda of liked it too after the initial shock had worn off. In retrospect, I might even like it better than BS5 with its weird pacing and fan service story despite it going back to 2D.

I enjoyed it. Seeing familiar places in 3D was a nice touch, and it wasn't bad plot-wise, either. There were a few block puzzles though, so your level of tolerance for those pretty much defines your opinion on the game. I'd love it to get re-released on the PS4.

Angel of Death though, that one was pretty much trash. Well, trash might be an exaggeration, I've honestly not played it in some time. The ending sequence just soured me on the whole experience though.

Alpha_eX

Broken Sword is one of my favourite games of all time, I love the Paris in the fall intro and the dark tone it sets. I'm so disappointed the remaster broke the tone and put two identical slide puzzles at the start of the game.

My fondest moments were discovering the games on a PS1 demo disk with my brother and then spending every night after school for two weeks on the goat.

Oh and I started the game without knowing I'd need a memory card...

Ah, will take a look at that then. Cheers.

It's not Broken Sword if it doesn't begin with George at the cafe

Yep. They even changed that, George no longer says "paris in the fall" in the director's cut. It's like Charles Cecil doesn't even understand what people loved about the game. :/

It's on sale right now btw:

https://www.gog.com/game/broken_sword_directors_cut

If you get it, you'd be looking for "original Broken Sword game (English)" in your downloads as opposed to the main directors cut download. Depending on your OS you may need to fiddle with the ini file (https://www.gog.com/forum/broken_sword_series/bs1_original_version_crashes_on_save), as the game saved in a way modern windows doesn't like.

They may have patched that by now though. Been some years since I bought it from them.

stoff

Broken Sword (or "Baphomet's Curse" - as it is called here in Germany) is definitely my favorite Point&Click Adventure. Loved everything about it. The plot is such a well executed Murder Mystery that gradually unfolds into bigger and bigger conspiracies. Charming Characters, the puzzles actually make sense and it has great voice acting for that time as well.
I was stuck for ages when the goat showed up, though.

Never played the other games. I feel I'd ruin the first game for me, as they are supposed to be not nearly as good.

Broken Sword (or "Baphomet's Curse" - as it is called here in Germany) is definitely my favorite Point&Click Adventure. Loved everything about it. The plot is such a well executed Murder Mystery that gradually unfolds into bigger and bigger conspiracies. Charming Characters, the puzzles actually make sense and it has great voice acting for that time as well.
I was stuck for ages when the goat showed up, though.

Never played the other games. I feel I'd ruin the first game for me, as they are supposed to be not nearly as good.

2 is just as good storywise, but FAR shorter and smaller in scope. The others aren't really worth playing.

Played Broken Sword 1 on the PS1, but without a memory card, so whenever I got to a new part and George died due to me not realising a Quick Time Event was about to happen I'd have to replay the entire game to get back to where I was and hope I didn't cock it up again.

Still finished it, though. And loved every minute of it.

Trumpets

1&2 are two of my favourite games of all time, and they play just as well today as they did on release (and how many old games can you say that about?)

That said I'd love to see a Day of the Tentacle style HD remaster, with all the original art tastefully upscaled to 4K.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
One of the best games of all time. I've started the series by playing BS2 and was always impressed by its graphics and atmosphere.
I've played BS1 a few years later and I loved it even more.
Still need to finish BS5, though. It's fantastic that Revolution went back to the roots.
Now I need to play BS1 again.

Daffy Duck

I loved BS on the PlayStation, are 3 and 4 not worth bothering with?

I want to play them again and fancy picking up 1/2 and 5 cheap from GOG.

Museum security guard (French accent): "Watch out! It will fall on top of us!"

Most memorable quote for me (so much so it's a bit of a meme between my brother and me). Probably because I spent so much time in the museum figuring out how to solve the puzzle, I ended up just clicking the totem pole endlessly (cue the aforementioned quote) out of pure frustration and confusion trying to miraculously force the game to progress. Good times...

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars is a classic and one of my favourite games. It has an exciting plot, unique characters, humour, charm and mind-numbingly frustrating puzzles. It made for a great adventure game. Luckily the 2nd game was just as good. Really need to play Broken Sword 5.

Never listened to this podcast before. Will add it to my downloads :)

ZeroX03

Banned
Broken Sword 1 and 2 are fantastic. Can't beat the original.

Broken Sword 3 and 5 are good. Even if 3 is a departure.

Never played 4.

Yep. They even changed that, George no longer says "paris in the fall" in the director's cut. It's like Charles Cecil doesn't even understand what people loved about the game. :/

It's on sale right now btw:

https://www.gog.com/game/broken_sword_directors_cut

If you get it, you'd be looking for "original Broken Sword game (English)" in your downloads as opposed to the main directors cut download. Depending on your OS you may need to fiddle with the ini file (https://www.gog.com/forum/broken_sword_series/bs1_original_version_crashes_on_save), as the game saved in a way modern windows doesn't like.

They may have patched that by now though. Been some years since I bought it from them.

Brilliant, I might pick it up when I get home. Is the sequel equally butchered by the directors cut/remaster?

Boem

I still remember that breakout clone you got to play while you were installing it from the original cd-rom. I don't think the digital versions have that anymore. The music that played during that little minigame was amazing.

Great games and, like everyone, loved 1, enjoyed 2 a lot, never played much of 3 and 4. I was a backer for BS 5, but I never played much of it. Partly because it didn't quite click with me immediately, but mostly because I'm telling myself I want to replay 1 and 2 first (it's been years), and I want to finally give 3 and 4 an honest go. I keep putting it off though, I hardly have time these days.

I think I'll push myself now though. I'll install it in a bit.

Does anyone know what Revolution is up to now? I know they recently released that collector's edition of all their games in one box, and they hinted at doing more with Beneath a Steel Sky (oh god yes please),but I haven't heard anything in a while.

Brilliant, I might pick it up when I get home. Is the sequel equally butchered by the directors cut/remaster?

From memory the only change in the core game is the swamp, where they made it slightly easier, I think they removed one of the dead ends. If they removed anything else I missed it, so it's nowhere near as bad.

Other then that it's really just down to whether you like the animated portraits and hotspots. I wasn't a huge fan myself. I don't think you can turn them off either.

Axass

I played the Broken Sword remaster last year, but sadly I found it pretty mediocre (spoilers):

Me said:
Curse of Monkey Island being my favourite adventure game ever, Broken Sword has revealed itself to be a pretty big disappointment. The setting and lore employed in the game is extremely fascinating, just as the lovely hand-drawn backgrounds, but all that potential is squandered by the awful remastering (the portraits are amateurish and the dialogues are horribly acted and translated, at least in Italian) and by the bare bones gameplay. In fact 80% of the puzzles are about distracting someone to do something (I wish the whole game was built around the remaining 10%: mechanisms, old texts to translate, codes and such), speaking to people is a chore, because they too often keep rambling about personal stuff or other inane and absolutely humorless things, there's not enough stuff to check in those beatufil backrgounds, making oft too obvious the solution to a problem, there are no dialogue options, far too few items, silly choices (the only guy who wants to shake your electric hand in the whole game is the assassin? REALLY?), and you constantly feel as if you're forced in a certain direction. The plot is intriguing at first, but soon becomes too complex for its own good, with too many worthless, two-dimensional characters, and too many unanswered questions: most of the time you proceed through the game wondering why you're doing something, or what you have to do; George himself admits to have no clue about what they're searching at one point. By the way, George Stobbart has to be the most dumb and annoying main character in the history of gaming.

skypunch

Banned
I played the Broken Sword remaster last year, but sadly I found it pretty mediocre (spoilers):

I agree with you on the portraits in the remaster. Dave Gibbons' comic book art style doesn't fit Broken Sword at all and portrait George looks nothing like George. No idea what Charles Cecil was thinking.

The rest I don't agree with though.

Sounds like you're taking the game too seriously? I don't know. It's funny because you really like Monkey Island which I think is very similar.

If you think that of George Stobbart, what do you think of Guybrush Threepwood? Again, I think they're very similar.

ZeroX03

Banned
I really like Broken Sword, but Monkey Island is easily on a different level. You don't want to play the comparison game.

Top Bottom