• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons |OT| We are One (PC and PSN, Out now)

I usually don't get Xbox Live Arcade games on day one, but I just may for this. I was really intrigued based on the videos I've seen. Anyone know how long this game is?

EDIT: Skimmed the OP and missed it. NM.

N2NOther

Banned
Yeah, I'll probably end up doing that.

Gonna be interesting to see my two brain hemispheres fighting each other in this game.
It happened to me a LOT. I would catch myself doing it and still keep moving them in the wrong direction. Died a couple of times because of it. It's actually kind of funny.

My holiday is nearly over, so I'm buying this as soon as I get back to my Xbox. And if I find it great, might double dip for Steam.

iRaKY3waNsvUV.gif

ib0kvwbM49jeae.gif

wouwie

The great review scores are going to make the wait for the psn release even harder :(

It's a pity that there doesn't seem to be that much interest in this game though. Hopefully positive feedback from players will increase awareness and interest. In cases like this, i wonder if releasing on one plaftorm and holding back other versions is a good idea. Especially since the psn/steam versions will come at the start of a busy period for all sorts of (big) games.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The great review scores are going to make the wait for the psn release even harder :(

It's a pity that there doesn't seem to be that much interest in this game though. Hopefully positive feedback from players will increase awareness and interest. In cases like this, i wonder if releasing on one plaftorm and holding back other versions is a good idea. Especially since the psn/steam versions will come at the start of a busy period for all sorts of (big) games.

I'm sure Microsoft is compensating the developers for releasing on 360 first.

This game looks pretty refreshing, I may have to consider it. And if it's only 3-4 hours then it would probably make for a very pleasant Sunday afternoon.

EvB

I've been lolling at the last sentance of the Eurogamer Review

The game as a whole is lacking in substance and rough around the edges, but Brothers' fantastic ending makes it a triumph all the same. - Eurogamer 9/10

Not sure if I'll be able to dedicate much time to tonight, but the few minutes I have played has been very enjoyable. Controls take some getting used to though.

Don't know about the gameplay but love escaping into impossible landscapes. This will be a nice visual fairy tale rest stop for a Friday night after a crappy week. Unique game worlds can be good virtual rest stops.

EvB

Just played it for a little while.

Initial thoughts:

Very Pretty
Not as linear as my first impression
The little brother is obnoxious

I've been lolling at the last sentance of the Eurogamer Review

The game as a whole is lacking in substance and rough around the edges, but Brothers' fantastic ending makes it a triumph all the same. - Eurogamer 9/10

H... Hilarious?

I tried the demo of this, and it was brilliant. Didn't really find the controls difficult at all, as long as I kept big bro on the left and little bro on the right, anyway, which wasn't hard to do. Not sure on a purchase, though, it seems expensive for a three-hour game with little replayability. I could justify it for something like LIMBO or Braid because there was achievements for speed running, hidden collectibles, etc, which extended the gameplay a great deal. Brothers seems to lack that, kind of a when it's done it's done deal, so the price seems high.

N2NOther

Banned
H... Hilarious?

I tried the demo of this, and it was brilliant. Didn't really find the controls difficult at all, as long as I kept big bro on the left and little bro on the right, anyway, which wasn't hard to do.

I thought so too when I first played the game. That goes out the window fast.

Not sure on a purchase, though, it seems expensive for a three-hour game with little replayability. I could justify it for something like LIMBO or Braid because there was achievements for speed running, hidden collectibles, etc, which extended the gameplay a great deal. Brothers seems to lack that, kind of a when it's done it's done deal, so the price seems high.

Totally valid concern I address in my review.

border

Yeah, this game is an utter triumph. Brothers is pretty much ICO for this generation. Except instead of having a companion character who can only be indirectly controlled and is almost always a constant liability, you have a partner with unique abilities that you can simultaneously control. Nonetheless, you still feel a protectiveness and a connection with your little brother even though he's really just a second player-character. I am 2-3 hours in and am enjoying this title immensely.

I can't promise anyone will like Brothers as much as ICO, but the influence is pretty much undeniable. I'm glad Starbreeze was able to get this out since obviously Team ICO themselves have floundered for the past 7 years.

EvB

H... Hilarious?

I just found it funny that they described a game which they scored 9/10 as "Rough around the edges and "lacking substance", as what is essentially the summary of the game....
I don't think any game described like that would be worthy of a 9/10, but I just put it down to a poor choice of words as I really like what I've played so far and it's received universal praise.

Overall the starter was rough around the edges, the main course was lacking substance but the desert was amazing.
9/10! best meal ever!

Only played for 20 minutes or so but I like it quite a bit so far. Really charming (I've already found the game's "hug the blob" button), pretty and refreshing with its simply odd controls which you're left to figure out largely by yourself.

I'm currently trying to play basketball. You just stumble upon things like this it seems.
I don't foresee it ever getting too deep or challenging, but I don't really mind. It's got spontaneity and charm instead.

I just found it funny that they described a game which they scored 9/10 as "Rough around the edges and "lacking substance", as what is essentially the summary of the game....
I don't think any game described like that would be worthy of a 9/10, but I just put it down to a poor choice of words as I really like what I've played so far and it's received universal praise.

Overall the starter was rough around the edges, the main course was lacking substance but the desert was amazing.
9/10! best meal ever!

dude it has gotten 9s on other sites also so this game is worthy the praise.

Vert boil

Giantbomb quicklook is up - http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-brothers-a-tale-of-two-sons/2300-7784/

They run into a bug. A cutscene isn't played which makes a puzzle unsolvable. They had to reboot the 360 and the game plays correctly after that.

Completed it for a second time now,

There is some foreshadowing at the altar. The channels are shaped like it.
During the first playthrough I thought the orca's were just being playful. They are actually trying to stop you progressing/kill it which brings into question the turtles.They didn't react to it in a negative way... so they Must be evil. ;)

brobban

Loving it so far. Truly beautiful game, and will probably double dip on PC!
As long as I keep the little brother to the right, I don't find it very hard to control.

border

By the way, fuck the Eurogamer review. DO NOT READ IT. That author blathers on about how he is not going to spoil the game's most heartrending and heartwarming moment, saying that even discussing it in broad terms could spoil it.

What does he do then? Discusses the moment in broad terms that will almost completely spoil it. It's spoiled not obviously, but in such a way that you will know what to do when you hit a certain obstacle, and that moment of magic and discovery is pretty much destroyed because the review has nearly spelled out what you were supposed to do. It's simultaneously both a puzzle and story spoiler.

Original poster -- Please add a warning to the original post (if you agree with me).

This game is delightful. I bought it after 10 minutes with the demo. Controlling the two brothers at the same time is really interesting to get used to, the world is very pretty and colorful and the puzzles are relatively simple but satisfying.

Played the demo for ten minutes, got stuck on the scenery. :(
Happened to me too. Fortunately the game is good about checkpointing.

Check josef fares twitter. The guy is getting celebrations from the gaming press and most of the people have no idea who this is. Well it is understandable as it is his first game.

This game is AMAZING. Buy this game, people! It might be my game of the year choice. I am about 2 hours in, and I don't want to go on more because I want to savor it, but I want to keep going because, wow, what an experience.

border

I'm not sure if it will help people's concerns about replayability, but it seems ALL the Achievements are related to easter eggs and hidden sidequests. None of the Achievements are progression based (eg "You beat Chpater 2, here's your Achievement").

I would suggest playing the game through once naturally, then looking at the Achievement list before a replay. The description on every Achievement gives you a little bit of a hint about where and how it is found. I got 6 / 12 on my first playthrough, but only because I cheated and looked at the descriptions. The others I'm hoping to find the second time around, but even then I'm kinda uncertain.

Karak

H... Hilarious?

Not sure on a purchase, though, it seems expensive for a three-hour game with little replayability. I could justify it for something like LIMBO or Braid because there was achievements for speed running, hidden collectibles, etc, which extended the gameplay a great deal. Brothers seems to lack that, kind of a when it's done it's done deal, so the price seems high.
Ya. When I did my review that was really one of my sticking points too as well as some of the other issues it has.

Lima

Fantastic game. Finished it in one setting like the director wanted and immediately went for second playthrough to finish off the achievements.

Took me something like 5 hours total. At 14€ that is nothing to complain about. That gets me a ticket to a 3D movie that lasts 2 hours. Pretty fair price point in my opinion.

N2NOther

Banned
By the way, fuck the Eurogamer review. DO NOT READ IT. That author blathers on about how he is not going to spoil the game's most heartrending and heartwarming moment, saying that even discussing it in broad terms could spoil it.

What does he do then? Discusses the moment in broad terms that will almost completely spoil it. It's spoiled not obviously, but in such a way that you will know what to do when you hit a certain obstacle, and that moment of magic and discovery is pretty much destroyed because the review has nearly spelled out what you were supposed to do. It's simultaneously both a puzzle and story spoiler.

Original poster -- Please add a warning to the original post (if you agree with me).
I read the review. He says not to go further because he might spoil it.

I'm not about to mention anything specific that might spoil it for you, but there is a chance that simply by discussing it, even in the broadest terms, your enjoyment will be impacted. So much of the game's worth hangs on this moment, however, that I have to explore it a little. So be warned, spoilerphobes: leave now and come back when you've finished the game.

I know there is a lot of games out there this month but DAMN I truly hope the level of activity in this thread isn't indicative of how well it's going to do.

border

I read the review. He says not to go further because he might spoil it.

It's the biggest and most triumphant moment the game has to offer, and I think to preface that with a pejorative word like "spoilerphobes" does a disservice. It kinda creates the assumption that only an internet dweeb is going to flip out about learning a tiny bit....when it's more the case that you're screwing up the game's best surprise.

It would have been much better if he didn't almost completely telegraph almost exactly when it happens and nearly tell you how to overcome the difficulty. Just leave that stuff out, and keep all the well-written but entirely vague praise.

I do rather like the way the whole moment is described and exalted though, so maybe I am being a little too harsh. Something that specific should probably be left out of a review and better left to an editorial or opinion piece.

I'm intrigued, but the first time I heard you control both brothers with each stick it immediately struck me as a dumb gameplay idea.

Am I only partially wrong?

N2NOther

Banned
It's the biggest and most triumphant moment the game has to offer, and I think to preface that with a pejorative word like "spoilerphobes" does a disservice. It kinda creates the assumption that only an internet dweeb is going to flip out about learning a tiny bit....when it's more the case that you're screwing up the game's best surprise.

It would have been much better if he didn't almost completely telegraph almost exactly when it happens and nearly tell you how to overcome the difficulty. Just leave that stuff out, and keep all the well-written but entirely vague praise.

I do rather like the way the whole moment is described and exalted though, so maybe I am being a little too harsh. Something that specific should probably be left out of a review and better left to an editorial or opinion piece.
I don't disagree. I kept a lot of stuff out of my review for that reason. There are so many great moments in the game

RoKKeR

Looks like a beautiful and interesting game, but I can't justify the price right now. Will keep an eye on this game, though.

Karak

I'm intrigued, but the first time I heard you control both brothers with each stick it immediately struck me as a dumb gameplay idea.

Am I only partially wrong?

It isn't dumb but it is handled poorly(or makes things artificially unfun) at various times and can cause issues depending on the gamer. There are more eloquent ways it could have been handled but then particular things later on wouldn't have been as impactful. For me it was really a big version of "almost".

Looking forward to this. Bit annoyed MS have paid for a month exclusive, but it's looking great. Shame I've got to wait until September to play it as there's a lot of other games out next month

Exactly how I feel about DuckTales. The timed exclusives are getting old. I almost feel like getting Brothers on PSN and Ducktales on XBLA out of spite.

Just finished it. Absolutely incredible game. Feels similar to Journey in that it's an experience you shouldn't miss out on.

Controls can feel a little wonky at times but otherwise it gets nothing but praise from me.

If you're even the slightest bit interested in this game then don't hesitate to pick it up. Gets a full recommendation from me.

I don't really understand complaints on the game being linear and shorter. This is up there with the likes of Ico, and Out of this World. They might be one and donefor some, but man, if I haven't replayed these classics over and over again. Brothers will go right up there with them.

Grisby

My brain does not like this game. So far though, I do.

Very pretty. Has a lot of charm too in just the hour I played. Lots of 'interactive' stuff that you can just mess with and it's cool seeing what each brother does.

Have to hit the sack soon but I want to get back to this tomorrow.

What an ending. Holy crap.

Fantastic game. I want more. I don't think I've said that for a game I've beaten in a while.

THE FEELS, THE FEELS.

border

I don't really understand complaints on the game being linear and shorter. This is up there with the likes of Ico, and Out of this World.
It's just the times we live in, sadly. People used to gladly pay $50 for a game like ICO or Out of this World. Now someone has the audacity to release a superb 4 hour singleplayer game for $15 and even with glowing reviews the reaction is "No thanks, I'll wait for the Steam sale."

Top Bottom