• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons |OT| We are One (PC and PSN, Out now)

It's just the times we live in, sadly. People used to gladly pay $50 for a game like ICO or Out of this World. Now someone has the audacity to release a superb 4 hour singleplayer game for $15 and even with glowing reviews the reaction is "No thanks, I'll wait for the Steam sale."

Yeah... I smack my head. I'd rather have more 4 hour experiences crafted as good as this!

SystemBug

I like the way the big brother and little brother are also reflected on the Xbox controller. The big brother has the side where the analog stick is positioned higher. Big brother and little brother are on your controllers! *MINDBLOWN*

gm_xboxcw_wht_ci.jpg

Is this Xbox's Journey (until it makes it's way to other platforms)?

Oh man,
holding the controller with one hand didn't feel good. Game was great, riding the mountain goats, wow.

Karak

I don't really understand complaints on the game being linear and shorter. This is up there with the likes of Ico, and Out of this World. They might be one and donefor some, but man, if I haven't replayed these classics over and over again. Brothers will go right up there with them.

Actually it makes total sense really.

For instance I found it overly cumbersome, at first, which meant a short games enjoyment was shortened even more due to those cumbersome issues as I came to grips with them. And if the experience itself doesn't speak to you, as a person, then the length and linearness are brought even more to the forefront as a reflection of your enjoyment of the game.

I finished the game last night. Yes it is very short but it's excellent, there's no padding and its very impactful, emotionally. I got chills multiple times and I'm not going to lie, my eyes misted up a little at the end.

I definitely plan on playing it again, at least one more time to show it to my wife and pick up some more achievements (you only get them for doing weird out of the way stuff). It's kind of amazing no one's tried controlling two different people at the same time before, in my recollection anyway.

I loved the Fable-esque atmosphere, the music was great and I think the nonsense language made the game stronger and more universal than if they'd gone with English.

$15 may seem a lot for a game that's only a few hours long but it's on par with the price of going to a movie, in this case a really good movie. I recommend it heartily, now and when it comes to other platforms. I bet on the PC it'll look amazing.

Forsythia

Just finished it, can recommend it to everyone. Yes, it's short, but it's also a wonderful experience. Don't miss this.

Arkanius

I want to buy this RIGHT now so bad.
But I don't want to pay up for Microsoft Points anymore.
Ugh decisions.

There are no more Microsoft Point cards on the cheap anymore right?

Lima

I want to buy this RIGHT now so bad.
But I don't want to pay up for Microsoft Points anymore.
Ugh decisions.

Wait until next week, final dashboard will most likely hit on August 13th and switch MS points to real currency. This will also allow you to pay the exact amount with PayPal or a credit card.

Arkanius

Wait until next week, final dashboard will most likely hit on August 13th and switch MS points to real currency. This will also allow you to pay the exact amount with PayPal or a credit card.

It's confirmed coming next week?
Superb!

d00d3n

I am proud of Starbreeze for announcing release dates on other platforms. The game sounds great, but I will wait for PC.

You can also do Paypal if you buy it on Xbox.com. Not sure about straight up CC.

Actually it makes total sense really.

For instance I found it overly cumbersome, at first, which meant a short games enjoyment was shortened even more due to those cumbersome issues as I came to grips with them. And if the experience itself doesn't speak to you, as a person, then the length and linearness are brought even more to the forefront as a reflection of your enjoyment of the game.

That's understandable but I don't find the experience cumbersome at all. I was surprised to see your review being less favorable then the critics. Always good to see another side of things of course, but the only issues I have with controls are my own doing, and getting the characters confused on which stick. Though that was easily adjusted after the first 20 minutes or so. Even IF I found it as such, still wouldn't affect my feelings on the world and style in the game which is just masterfully done imo. If a game can bring me to care about what's going on with it characters with no actual understandable spoken words, bravo to that team.

Played over a good hour last night and absolutely loving it. You can tell that ICO was a huge inspiration to them, what with the incredible atmosphere, the
benches
being placed throughout the game, and the game just feels like a proper evolution of ICO's gameplay. Just gonna take it real nice and steady and soak it all in.

Arkanius

Yeah I definitely do not want to give 20€ to Microsoft right now for 2100 points.
I'll wait for real currency so I can buy it 1:1 it's market price. The game seems so worth it. I was thinking of waiting for the Steam release as well but it seems to be played better on a big TV and with a controller.

Time to stock up on points I guess. 30% price hike or some such when that switch happens.

1200 points
Microsoft asks for this much on Xbox Live: 135:- ($21)
I pay this much on CheapXboxLiveCodes.com: 90:- ($14)

What was it they said about converting points on your account? There was an expiration date or something?
The currency we add to your account at the time of the transition will expire on June 1, 2015.
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billi...ccount-management/microsoft-points-retire-faq

Karak

That's understandable but I don't find the experience cumbersome at all. I was surprised to see your review being less favorable then the critics. Always good to see another side of things of course, but the only issues I have with controls are my own doing, and getting the characters confused on which stick. Though that was easily adjusted after the first 20 minutes or so. Even IF I found it as such, still wouldn't affect my feelings on the world and style in the game which is just masterfully done imo. If a game can bring me to care about what's going on with it characters with no actual understandable spoken words, bravo to that team.

Absolutely. I agree.

They(feelings, world, style) just didn't gel with me, sadly, which then brings you to the other aspects of the game and mechanics of the game. This game is indeed an experience moreso than a "game" lets say. And because of that it makes sense that if the experience doesn't gel for you the game could be considered lacking in some other areas. Or at least it , can become more noticable.

Regardless I am one of those people that knows that sometimes things gel or don't gel for others. I am stoked that people like it though because you can tell they put some effort into it regardless of my own thoughts about how well the product ended up.

KrazyDude

Banned
Just finished it and completed all the achievements (Lovebirds alone was worth the 15€ Purchase). Glad it is coming to three plattforms, so we wont have the Journey -No- Profit Problem...

Grisby

The ICO comparisons are pretty spot on. A very muted tone along with a non intrusive ost. They even sorta have the 'save couches' and their own made up language.

Draw distance is great and I love that they keep showing areas that you've come from and where your going. I would really love a top down full on rpg with this art style.

Getting more used to controlling both brothers. Just sent one of them plummeting to their deaths too! First death for me.

N2NOther

Banned
I'm playing through the whole game again for one achievement. I adore this game. This is near the top of my GOTY list for sure. Right now it's third. Glad people are digging it and its getting mostly positive reviews as well.

Grisby

Just ended a session with this tonight. The game keeps upping itself. I know it's supposed to be a short game but the pacing is fantastic.

Maybe around the early middle part spoiler (Hard to tell not having chapters and all)? I was legitimately shocked when
you come across the mountain top and see a dude trying to hang himself. Trying to untie him and getting the achievement for fetching his families music box was nice. Then there was some goat climbing to lighten the mood right after. Perfect.

If it keeps going this strong then it probably will end up as one of my favorite games this generation. It's not difficult in any sense of the word (so far) but the 'experience' I'm having with this game is a blast.

Also, every couch view is freaking gorgeous. This has to be one of the smoothest UE3 games I;ve ever played.

Just finished this. What a wonderful experience. Such perfect pacing and lots of variety in both gameplay and scenery.

The epilogue really got to me... Beautiful stuff.

Finished this last night.

My missus had been watching me play, so although she didn't get my gasp of surprise/delight at "that" part...but she thought it was a lovely game.

Beautiful. Gonna go back through it and acheivement hunt :)

Orca

Downloaded the trial last night and gave it a shot for 10-15 minutes this morning. Bought the game before I left for work and I'm looking forward to going through it when I get home. Took some time to get used to the twin stick control scheme, but it does a good job of easing you into it.

d00d3n

How is that something to be proud of? Just wondering.

I have bought several games on both 360 and steam due to lack of transparency regarding the later pc release. It is a complete ripoff, especially when the "unannounced" pc version comes a month or so later.

I'm pleased that this has an 85 on Metacritic. I might have thought the short length would have doomed it to poor reviews.

It's quite easy for reviewers to not care about length because they didn't pay $15 for the game. I bet if they did, they might be a little more concerned about it.

(Though the game would obviously still review well.)

GlamFM

Banned
Yeah.... I'm going to wait for a patch before I continue...

Just had my third game ending bug in chapter 2...

Not sure on a purchase, though, it seems expensive for a three-hour game with little replayability. I could justify it for something like LIMBO or Braid because there was achievements for speed running, hidden collectibles, etc, which extended the gameplay a great deal. Brothers seems to lack that, kind of a when it's done it's done deal, so the price seems high.

This is my only concern. I tried to justify a purchase by telling myself that I've bought full retail games at 4x the price for a campaign that's only 3x longer but I still can't pull the trigger. I really enjoyed the demo but I just don't know if it's worth 1200pts.

Then again I thought I remembered reading that all of my current points are going to be useless some time next year as MS transfers over to real money (use it or lose it kind of deal) so maybe I'll jump on this after all.

Only played the demo but I can't be the only one who from time to time had the brothers all crossed up and walking into the opposite sides of a path. Would have to take my fingers off the thumb sticks and restart my brain.

Only played the demo but I can't be the only one who from time to time had the brothers all crossed up and walking into the opposite sides of a path. Would have to take my fingers off the thumb sticks and restart my brain.
I always try to keep the brother in red on the right as much as possible, it seems to help.

GolazoDan

Just finished the game. Really good stuff, bummer to hear quite a few of you have had a game-breaking bug because that game goes places. I've never played ICO myself but I've seen bits of it and they look similar in several aspects. There's also a few moments where the Journey element is obvious, although one of my favourite moments was the bit where
the brothers tethered themselves together as you climbed the castle and you could have one brother swing freely from point to point, using the other as an "anchor".

The achievements are also pretty interesting.
Riddles in and of themselves, plus they reward you for looking around.

Have only played the first half hour but I think I'm really going to like it. It's pretty relaxing so far which I enjoy in games more and more as I get older.

Controlling both brothers can definitely be awkward but you don't really need to be precise or too quick or always move both at once or anything so it works fine so far. I like it for this game.

I got a single achievement and I hope they are all like that. It encouraged interaction and wasn't some boring "kill 5 bad guys" or "beat the level" type deal.

Top Bottom