• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3 reviewed in PSW (UK) Issue 59 - 10/10

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
chespace said:
hmm, i'll have to try the customized soundtrack thing when i get back to the office on monday. i could have -sworn- you couldn't use your own... but if it is indeed an interface so hidden and obscure, i'm sure most people wouldn't bother. i mean, i guess that is the point of EA Trax... they want people to listen to their tripe. thankfully, i didn't really have room to bitch about the soundtrack in my review. :)

That would be definitely something worth complaining about in a review. Having a feature obscured by mediocrity (ie: bad soundtrack) would be an interesting point to present to your consumers.

Deg

Banned
D2M15 said:
Yay! But sadly it doesn't work well with the game - none of the tracks do, even the ones you think really should. I think it's the first time EA's spectacularly misjudged a sound treatment (DJ included).

I thought Criterion handled the music?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Well, if it's been confirmed - Xbox rev for me. EA can take their shitty music selection and shove it sideways. The only title they've ever made that nailed the EA Trax music properly with the game genre has been Def Jam - everything else has been Kentucky Fried Crap...

Matlock

Banned
bishoptl said:
Well, if it's been confirmed - Xbox rev for me. EA can take their shitty music selection and shove it sideways. The only title they've ever made that nailed the EA Trax music properly with the game genre has been Def Jam - everything else has been Kentucky Fried Crap...

And SSX3!

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Ninja Scooter:
call me crazy, but thats EXACTLY what Burnout's intensity in the gameplay comes from.
OutRun 2's pacing is built off of these exaggerated powerslides that let you drift from one turn all the way to the next while still having the control to weave through packs of traffic. Essentially, braking can be replaced by well paced drifting.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
teepo said:
does the ps2 version support the new gt wheel?

Marconelly said:
Does the PS2 version support the new FF wheel?

No and no! I just found this out today but for some stupid reason, EA has demanded Criterion take the force feedback wheel support out of the game. Thus, Burnout 3 does not support ANY of the Logitech wheels unfortunately :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Arcticfox said:
Doesn't NFSU support the Logitech wheels? What would be the point of taking support out of Burnout?

Don't ask me, but they did. They've always made fucking strange decisions from the past anyways.

I'll be getting my BO3 and OR2 funk on, on the Xbitch with this puppy....

6000_05_m.jpg

No FF but the next bestest thang!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Ninja Scooter said:
YOU LIED TO US CHE!

boo-fucking-hoo! i won't be able to confirm the customized soundtrack option until monday, but i've already said my piece. if you can't actually take into context the reality of how it all went down with my review, then oh well.

either way, the shitty EA Trax of Burnout 3 introduces something very interesting: should we have to rip our favorite songs just so we can enjoy the game? there's a lot to be said about soundtracks that are tailored to suit the action at hand. e.g., burnout 2 and SSX didn't have the best soundtrack (imo) but both were very well suited to the game, presenting audio that was dynamic and appropriate.

i generally frown upon EA's wholesale licensing of pop tunes, unless the game itself plays upon pop-culture itself (e.g., GTA: Vice City) where the licensed tunes are just as much a part of the landscape (a Michael Mann-esque Miami wannabe). in burnout 3, all the tunes feel "after the fact" -- even the good ones (von bondies, ramones, franz ferdinand).

whatever, fuck it. i read the other thread which touched on people's taste in music, and i don't EVEN want to go there.

----

http://chespace.1up.com

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
isamu said:
Don't ask me, but they did. They've always made fucking strange decisions from the past anyways.

I'll be getting my BO3 and OR2 funk on, on the Xbitch with this puppy....

6000_05_m.jpg

No FF but the next bestest thang!

What exactly is that thing o_0

chespace

snapty00 said:
I don't know what this stuff about Che is, but I want to know now just to instigate the situation. :D

i mentioned that i couldn't find the customized soundtrack option in BO3, but apparently it's there, buried a bit under some unintuitive UI. my printed review says nothing about the soundtrack (i.e. how shitty the music was for me, nor did i complain about the lack of a customized soundtrack option). i used the space to talk about how incredibly brilliant the game is, online and offline.

but i stand corrected nonetheless :)

----

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
chespace said:
but i stand corrected nonetheless :)

Hey, I wouldn't have found it if I didn't have a habit of going through every inch of front end every time I get a new game. UI functionality is definitely Criterion's weak point.

Off-topic, noticed in your blog that Evan Shamoon's been dropped off XBN - bad news for a good mag and a good ed. I'd hoped it was doing better.

chespace

D2M15 said:
Hey, I wouldn't have found it if I didn't have a habit of going through every inch of front end every time I get a new game. UI functionality is definitely Criterion's weak point.

Off-topic, noticed in your blog that Evan Shamoon's been dropped off XBN - bad news for a good mag and a good ed. I'd hoped it was doing better.

Yeah, unfortunately, Evan got laid off last week. I don't think it's a reflection of how XBN is doing though, as Ziff laid off 6 others along with Shamoon (basically, every mag lost a head with the exception of GMR). Corporate reasoning states that we're (i.e. the industry as a whole) is about to have a pretty bad year (read: mediocre numbers due to the end of a generation and lack of new system launches in 2005 -- handhelds notwithstanding) so ZD is just covering their asses by cutting costs.

But like I said on my blog, we're going to keep using Evan in a freelance capacity so I'm sure you'll continue to see his strokey-beard features on the state of gaming, etc. for some time to come.

----

Top Bottom