• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3 - Xbox or PS2?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Xbox for me, eventually, dont think i'll buy it this year.

My experiences with PS2 online (not on my own PS2 i must say, at a friends house) are not good, after 11 months of Xbox live i think it's all i'll ever need.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PS2 version (bigger community + better controller)
PS2 version, so that I can finally play something against TTP :p

What I do hate is the Dual Shock's shitty analogue sticks. You need precision analogue sticks for games like Burnout and the Dual Shocks just don't cut it IMO.
Opinions are like assholes. You can try to quantify yours as much as you want, but to me, DS2 controller is simply the best of them, analog sticks and all. I simply don't buy the whole 'loosenes' thing, as I have never had a problem with a single game. In any case, I'm mostly using Logitech's cordless action controller now, which f'n rocks, but is still not quite as comfortable as DS2 (although it has some ergonomy advantages of it's own)

Having said that, Xbox version of this game is better if it supports custom soundtracks (it apparently WILL, which is great) and if the PS2 version doesn't support FF wheel (it apparently WON'T, which is crap)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Um...I own both, love both...but obviously I'm going to buy it for Xbox. Love the rationalizations from the usual suspects though.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
No FF does indeed suck, FF should be standard by now in every racing game (the fact there's not even an FF wheel on Xbox is a travesty).

Renegade

Banned
isamu said:
Take this with a grain of salt....

...and I hope you're sitting down......

I just read on another forum....that Sega and Criterion have secretly been working together on both BO3 and OR2!!!!

According to what this guy(who is sworn to secrecy and made me promise not to mention what the name of the forum is...it's not NTSC-Uk btw) says...we will be able to incorporate OutRun 2 into BurnOut 3 and vice versa! Supposedly, if you own BO3, you will be able to import OR2's tracks and cars into BO3 and use them online and in crash mode! Or....if you own OR2, you will be able to import BO3's cars and tracks, race them online and use them during all the extra modes like Heart, etc!!! OR2 and BO3 owners will alledgedly be able to RACE EACH OTHER online regardless of which game you own!!!!!!!!!!!!

More on this later...I am in shock!!!!!! I literally can't move!!!!!!!!!!!

Uhh...

First, that DOES sound kinda stupid.

Second, Sega is not working on Outrun 2 on Xbox.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I have no idea, just played the PS2 demo which I enjoyed alot more than I thought I was going to.

If it's been confirmed that the Xbox version supports custom soundtracks I'll probably pick up that one.

Prine

Banned
Xbox all the way

- Xbox Live (More GAFFERS to play with + friends list)
- Custom Soundtracks
- Slighter better graphics
- Better control pad imo

How can you not?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The 'box version, besides having better visuals (HDTV res? sexy)
480p support in both versions. I'm really looking forward to Dark10x or someone to compare voth versions, though. Developers have claimed there are basically no differences in the visuals, but I'm suspecting there's always something small one way or another.

Will likely have far shorter load times as well, as is usually the case with these things.
If the demo is anything to go by, after you install it with the HDLoader, the load times are super short on the PS2. :p

Meier

Xbox of course. I'll never buy a PS2 game when there are other versions available basically -- it just doesn't match up 99.9% of the time. Plus, the Xbox version is the one that sold me at E3.

Oh and that no differences thing is bullshit. I watched videos of the PS2 one recently and saw BOE's screencaps and there's noticable jaggies more or less everywhere. It simply isnt true.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh and that no differences thing is bullshit. I watched videos of the PS2 one recently and saw BOE's screencaps and there's noticable jaggies more or less everywhere. It simply isnt true.
Please tell me you are joking? You are comparing some crappy web videos with even crappier photos of a TV screen and making such conclusion? I have the demo of the PS2 version and I simply don't see what they can do to improve image quality, aside of applying a real FSAA, for example (which I really doubt will be in the Xbox version either).

m0dus said:
Um. It's not a port, dude. It's built from the ground up for both platforms. The 'box version, besides having better visuals (HDTV res? sexy) Will likely have far shorter load times as well, as is usually the case with these things.

WRONG! PS2 was made from "ground up"! Xbox version is a PS2 port

Agent X

GSG Flash said:
PS2 version for me, mainly because I don't own an Xbox :p.

But if I had to choose one of the two if I owned both consoles, I'd still choose the PS2 version. The reason i'd choose it is online, I refuse to pay a monthly (or yearly) fee for online gaming on top of my internet bill.

I'm in total agreement here. I'll be getting the PS2 version, also. I don't have an X-Box, but if I did, I wouldn't be playing it online for the reason you described.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Meier said:

I must be blind because I just spent some time with the PS2 demo and I'm not seeing alot of jaggies... then again that might be because I was concentrating on racing....

Xbox. I prefer the controller for racing games and PS2 online is garbage compared to Xbox Live for me.

"WRONG! PS2 was made from "ground up"! Xbox version is a PS2 port"

Nope. Both games were built together by different teams. There wasn't a lead platform for either. The GameSpot interview with the developers stated this.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Xbox version for me. My social gaming group is ready for XBL play, so it's a given.

Besides that, I prefer the Controller-S to the Dual Shock anyway...and all of you should too.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Brandon F said:
Xbox version for me. My social gaming group is ready for XBL play, so it's a given.

Besides that, I prefer the Controller-S to the Dual Shock anyway...and all of you should too.

I greatly prefer the DS2 to Controller-S. The Controller-S still feels like i'm holding a brick and I just can't get used to those damn black and white buttons.

Gattsu25

Banned
PS2

PS2 Online - Yes
XBox Live - no
CD Ripped to the XB HD - 0

on the controller side: the DS and Type-S are about the same to me (I don't like the B/W buttons but the better rumble makes up for that) I have no problems with the (other) buttons/sticks on either pad

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
GSG Flash said:
I greatly prefer the DS2 to Controller-S. The Controller-S still feels like i'm holding a brick and I just can't get used to those damn black and white buttons.

You've clearly never held a brick, i suggest you visit a building site and ask to see one.

I agree on the B&W buttons though.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Ghost said:
You've clearly never held a brick, i suggest you visit a building site and ask to see one.

I agree on the B&W buttons though.

Yes I've held a brick before, and maybe I was exagerrating a little, but the point I was trying to make (as I can see you or most likely nobody picked up) is that the Xbox controller is just as uncomfortable as holding a brick would be (kinda exagerrated again, but I think you know my point).

wazoo

ourumov said:
Hmmm...Just tried NFSU and it supports the FF wheel...I wonder why some of you were saying not...

They are talking about B3. nice to hear for NFS2.

PS2 will always be firstfor me as long as the FF is supported.

Not saying that I do not own an xbox in any case :)

Solid

Uncle Dukey said:
I thought the xbox version didn't support custom soundtracks? Does someone have something saying otherwise?
It does. Blimblim confirmed it today.

Blimblim said:
Proof you want, proof you get.
b3_proof1.jpg

b3_proof2.jpg

Seth C

Been racing with analog triggers (not buttons, but triggers) for gas/break for 3 generations now. I'll stick with Xbox.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can you confirm the no-FF in the ps2 version
I can confirm that the demo does not support any kind of FF wheel, there's no options or anything in the demo, it's very straightforward.

However, someone here who seems to know stuff from some source, has found out that EA has requested from Criterion to remove the FF support from the game, for whatever reason.

nitewulf

i find the S the best for racing games, analog triggers for gas and brake just rock too much, it was nice evolution of the DC controller, which i thought was fantastic for racing games.
oh...ill probably get BO3 once its cheap, O2 is the priority for me now. ill most likely get the xbox version, controller and visuals.

Brosa

Xbox-version for me.

m0dus said:
Um. No. Both versions were developed in tandem. Hence the simultaneous release. A word to the wise: ^_^ stop getting your info from the back of sugar packets.

:D

What if we get the info from Alex Ward directly instead then. They're developing both versions at the same time, but they develop for the PS2 and then go onto Xbox:

Alex Ward: We just set out deliberately to make the PS2 version look like the best Xbox game you've ever seen.

Eurogamer: It pretty much does. You could have said that about Burnout 2 to be honest.

Alex Ward: Yeah. And we were happy. And we're really happy with it this time, so we've done parallel development this time. But a lot of other companies are just, they're PC developers and they're working on Xbox and they're going down to PS2, whereas we're the other side; we're starting on PS2, and then go onto Xbox. So some of the Xbox guys might be thinking 'oh but when you go down to Xbox it's not as good', but I don't think you could really look at the game this time and say 'oh that's a bit rubbish on Xbox', because, well we've looked at all the other Xbox racers. I think you could stand it side by side with Forza or something. I think what we're doing with reflections, what we're doing with texture detail, the game looks glorious.

Full interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56165

m0dus said:
Um. No. Both versions were developed in tandem. Hence the simultaneous release. A word to the wise: ^_^ stop getting your info from the back of sugar packets.

:D

"we're starting on PS2, and then go onto Xbox."

OWN3D

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Marconelly said:
If the demo is anything to go by, after you install it with the HDLoader, the load times are super short on the PS2. :p

Can't go online with HDLoader.

GAME.SET.MATCH!

Marconelly said:
However, someone here who seems to know stuff from some source, has found out that EA has requested from Criterion to remove the FF support from the game, for whatever reason.

That was me. No FF wheel support whatsoever in PS2 version. Worst. Mistake. EVER!

Friend

Xbox for me. Mostly because I like the xbox pad much more than the ds2. Also becuase the graphics are likely to be better. Does the PS2 version even supoort progressive scan?

Fusebox

Banned
How do you guys play driving games with the DS2? It doesn't have analogue triggers, and I cant hold smooth sweeping bends with the sticks coz they're too loose. I find myself having to 'tap-tap-tap' to negotiate wide turns, whereas with controller S I can just hold the stick at 30%, 35%, whatever y'know and I can be on 75% throttle and feathering the brakes at about 10% at the same time, it's all there at my fingertips.

5.1 sound and loading from the HD and custom soundtracks make it an Xbox purchase regardless of controllers for me.

Top Bottom