• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3 - Xbox or PS2?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Xbox version for me, Live support is a huge plus for me.

Glad to see the two versions being so close in terms of quality.

etiolate

Banned
I loved the GC versions before, including using the GC controller(precise analog sticks and shoulder buttons for gas/break). I'll rent the PS2 version. DS has the worst analog sticks/buttons really. I'm still skeptical that the change to grinding into other cars and crashing is going to take away the hook of Burnout, which is that 'on the edge/just barely missing" feeling.

Prine

Banned
Mike Works said:
Who lets go of the gas button in Burnout??

Me, when im turning into tight corners, thats how you get more control when you drift.

Which is why triggers are real important for me when playing racing games, you need that degree of control.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can't go online with HDLoader.

GAME.SET.MATCH!
Well, it's not like you can't just pop the disc and play the game from it when you want to play it online. Just having it installed there, so that you can play offline quicker, won't screw you up in any way.

That was me. No FF wheel support whatsoever in PS2 version. Worst. Mistake. EVER!
Not that I don't believe you, but how did you find out that juicy piece of info?

I find myself having to 'tap-tap-tap' to negotiate wide turns, whereas with controller S I can just hold the stick at 30%, 35%, whatever y'know and I can be on 75% throttle and feathering the brakes at about 10% at the same time, it's all there at my fingertips.
Tap-tap? I guess it's just you :p Btw, you can use the right stick to control the gas/brakes with more precision, although I find that completely unnecessary for an arcade racer like Bburnout.

gmoran

If the PS2 version really doesn't support FF (a concept I'm having problems coming to terms with); then it will be a bit of a no brainer for those with both to go with the Xbox version.

Unfortunately however, My Xbox is consigned to the 24" widescreen in the bedroom, as there isn't room in the AV cabinet for it. It could sit outside but then the kids would wreck it. And besides the Mrs wouldn't stand for it; she doesn't like that we have to have 6 speakers in the lounge let alone having equipment littering the floor. So for me only the PS2 version comes with surround sound (albeit DPL2) and broadband, so thats the one I'll get.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
X-Box, just like every other multi-platform title. I swear if PS2 didn't have the Winning Eleven series, I wouldn't have touched that thing in years.

gmoran

AstroLad said:
X-Box, just like every other multi-platform title. I swear if PS2 didn't have the Winning Eleven series, I wouldn't have touched that thing in years.

I guess you don't like platform or bemani games, where I find the PS2 pretty well unbeatable?

It does annoy me a little bit (but I'm talking generally here not directing at AstroLad - though of course he sparked it off), that there now appears to be a generation of gamers who see games solely in shades of FPS, Shooters and Racing games; and can't see the Xbox's obvious genre limitations. Which is fine, it that's where you preferences lie; but not all gamers are the same.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gmoran said:
I guess you don't like platform or bemani games, where I find the PS2 pretty well unbeatable?

It does annoy me a little bit (but I'm talking generally here not directing at AstroLad - though of course he sparked it off), that there now appears to be a generation of gamers who see games solely in shades of FPS, Shooters and Racing games; and can't see the Xbox's obvious genre limitations. Which is fine, it that's where you preferences lie; but not all gamers are the same.

3-D Platformers? Hate them. Now Klonoa 2 was great, and Ico's art made it more than worthwhile. As far as music games, my favs are games like Samba, and I'm quite looking forward to Donkey Konga, the Bemani games do nothing for me at all. GC and X-Box are more than enough for me, but I do still keep my PS2 attached just in case, though I do find it quite ignorant of you to presume that I "see games solely in shades of FPS, Shooters and Racing games" simply because I prefer my multiplatform titles on X-Box and haven't been truly excited about a PS2 release in quite some time; I happily shelled out loads of cash supporting unique games such as buying two sets of Twin Sticks for the DC, maracas, etc. etc. etc., but I guess as soon as someone says "X-Box" you automatically assume they couldn't possibly have any interests outside of the genres you mentioned or, you know, actually own another system or three.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
IGN Insider just posted videos of the game playing in 16:9 pro-scan mode for BOTH versions of the game and the visuals are nigh identical. Controller differences aren't a big factor for me... original Xbox controller ~= S-Controller ~= DS2 ~= to GC controller ~= DC Controller and so on... I just don't experience the same level of hypersensitivity to controller differences that some of you scream about and find I can get similar levels of accuracy/precision out of most modern controllers.

I'm tempted by the custom soundtracks option of the Xbox version since I've not been impressed by what I've heard of the EA Trax treatment the game got this time around, but I'll be getting the PS2 version for a few reasons:

1)I have more friends who own PS2s that I want to play this online with and the general online community for this is likely to be larger anyway, judging by past sales of the series on both platforms

2)I'll be honest, I love seeing what Criterion can do with the PS2. Since it causes me no significant compromises in my game experience to do so (except for the soundtrack, which I can live with, and may very well be wrong about), I can't help but support that kind of stand-out effort from a developer.

3)I've loved this series since the first game and fully expect this iteration to provide years of entertainment. Since we're in the twilight years of this generation and I'm not one to retain console hardware across generations, the greater likelihood that the PS3 will be BC with the PS2 than the XB2 is to be BC with the XB plays a small role here.

JMPovoa

You must suck then, since you have to in order to drift.

In burnout 2 you don't. At least on Xbox (since you use the triggers there, who don't have to sacrifice your thumb, unlike on the PS2 with the DS2, where you use the right thumb to control the acceleration with the right thumbstick)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
but I guess as soon as someone says "X-Box" you automatically assume they couldn't possibly have any interests outside of the genres you mentioned or, you know, actually own another system or three.
Well, when you say something like 'console XYZ sucks and has only one game I play', you should expect generalizations to come your way. I'm just surprised that you are willing to suport unique games, but are oblivious to the fact that PS2 probably has more such obscure but high quality games than any other console right now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Marconelly said:
Well, when you say something like 'console XYZ sucks and has only one game I play', you should expect generalizations to come your way. I'm just surprised that you are willing to suport unique games, but are oblivious to the fact that PS2 probably has more such obscure but high quality games than any other console right now.

I never said PS2 sucks or doesn't have unique games, I just said I wouldn't have played it in quite some time if it weren't for WE, which is true. Make whatever defensive inferences you want from that.

gmoran

AstroLad said:
I never said PS2 sucks or doesn't have unique games, I just said I wouldn't have played it in quite some time if it weren't for WE, which is true. Make whatever defensive inferences you want from that.

You didn't say quite some time, you said "years". Your comment was superfluous; it was there to put-down the PS2. Which I can't understand - with games like Amplitude, POP:SOT (multi-format but out on PS2 first, and graphically pretty well identical), Jal II, R&C2, Castlevania:LOI, Gradius V, SingStar, Katamari Damacy.

But as I said, it wasn't purely directed at you - there really are a generation of gamers out there who can't see why Xbox isn't enough.

Still anyone who likes Klonoa 2 can't be all bad, and obviously isn't just a FPS junkie.

I don't know if it's been asked, but can XBox live users play versus the Ps2 online players ????????

(I dunno if it's me but, from what I remember after playing a LOT of time with Burnout 2 on XBOX, my right hand always started to hurt like hell, unlike on GC and PS2. But the developper's cut version on XBOX totally owned the competition.)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Lt.Frank_Drebin said:
I don't know if it's been asked, but can XBox live users play versus the Ps2 online players ????????

(I dunno if it's me but, from what I remember after playing a LOT of time with Burnout 2 on XBOX, my right hand always started to hurt like hell, unlike on GC and PS2. But the developper's cut version on XBOX totally owned the competition.)

To my knowledge XBL is a completely closed network... at least it use to be... I haven't heard anything about it opening up so your answer is probably no.

:(

I was thinking about the Colin Mcrae Rally 5 online thing. Codemasters confirmed a couples of weeks ago that Xbox live players will be able to race versus PS2 players.......

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Lt.Frank_Drebin said:
Codemasters confirmed a couples of weeks ago that Xbox live players will be able to race versus PS2 players.......
Really...PAL owners will be able to do that?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Lt.Frank_Drebin said:

I was thinking about the Colin Mcrae Rally 5 online thing. Codemasters confirmed a couples of weeks ago that Xbox live players will be able to race versus PS2 players.......

Really? That's interesting as MS was initially very adamant about XBL being a closed network to help "protect" it.... anybody else know of any cross-console playable games?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Some of you are REALLY grasping at straws for reasons over which platform you want to get it for. Just say you like the PS2/Xbox better, no one is going to be angry for having a preference. In fact that's a great thing to go by, it'd make shopping easier for me by a landslide.

The point is that these two versions are so close and even identical in quality that merely flipping a coin would be a reasonable deciding factor.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Lt.Frank_Drebin said:

Are you sure? I thought EA said it wasn't possible to do that with online games right now?

GSG Flash said:
Are you sure? I thought EA said it wasn't possible to do that with online games right now?

No, no I'm not sure.... The more I think about this, the more I think I've hallucinated....Cause like you guys said, the xbox live network is closed to competition.

DarienA said:
Really? That's interesting as MS was initially very adamant about XBL being a closed network to help "protect" it.... anybody else know of any cross-console playable games?

4x4 Evolution was cross-compatible between Dreamcast and PC.

Edit: And for the record, I'm getting the Xbox version. I have the PS2 version of Burnout 2, but between Xbox Live support, 5.1 audio, solid 480p support, and custom soundtracks, I'll get the Xbox version of BO3. Though I'm still pissed that neither the EA Trax or custom soundtracks are going to sound as good as the music in Burnout 2, which was 1) awesome, 2) unique to each track, and 3) changed in volume and the # of chords played depending on whether you were boosting or not.

Oh well.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gmoran said:
You didn't say quite some time, you said "years". Your comment was superfluous; it was there to put-down the PS2. Which I can't understand - with games like Amplitude, POP:SOT (multi-format but out on PS2 first, and graphically pretty well identical), Jal II, R&C2, Castlevania:LOI, Gradius V, SingStar, Katamari Damacy.

But as I said, it wasn't purely directed at you - there really are a generation of gamers out there who can't see why Xbox isn't enough.

Still anyone who likes Klonoa 2 can't be all bad, and obviously isn't just a FPS junkie.

Heh, fair enough. The "years" was hyperbolic, I have to mention; ironically, PS2 gets nearly the most playtime by virtue of Winning Eleven alone, easily one of my favorite game series this gen. I also prefer the DS2 for SSX games (another great series), though I usually prefer the S-Pad by a bit. Of the games you mentioned, it's no fault of the PS2's, but I'm not a big fan of 3-D platformers at all. Gradius would be a pick-up, but since I barely have enough time for Ikaruga, my shmup time is basically filled. I don't have the time to play through the games I really love and am looking forward to, so clearly I can't play every "original" game that comes out, but of the ones that do, I usually gravitate more to the GC and I play my more "standard" games on the X-Box (mostly thanks to the controller and especially the hard drive) based on personal preference. Clearly, if you love 3-D platformers and rhythm games, among others, the PS2 is really tough to beat, but there's only so much time to go around.

Shompola

Banned
but doesnt burnout 3 log on to live and then to the EA server? if that is true is it then possible for EA to make a contact between PS2 and Xbox users via this server?

tenchir

Shompola said:
but doesnt burnout 3 log on to live and then to the EA server? if that is true is it then possible for EA to make a contact between PS2 and Xbox users via this server?

Yes, they could have done it with their sports series like Madden 2k5, I just don't understand why they didn' do it? Was it some sort of deal they had with MS? Or they just too stupid? There is nothing technical to stop them from doing it. May be if enough people start emailing them, they might consider it and patch it in?

pilonv1

Shompola said:

If we have to log into EA servers, how does hosting online work? Can we even host? As an Australian do I have to play against UKers or Americans?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For those that have played both, do the reflections in the XBOX version update at 60 frames per second like the PS2 version? I'm sure they do, but it's just that XBOX developers love to use more accurate cubic environment mapping on the cars while updating those at 30 fps. I can't imagine they would do that, though...

I will probably only rent the game, as there are too many releases on the way, but I'll probably play it on XBOX due to custom soundtracks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dark, I think the reflections are updated at 60FPS on the Xbox version. On the flipside, I'm also pretty sure (developers words) that PS2 version uses cubic env mapping as well :)

Ozchin

LIVE!
better graphics
custom soundtracks
oh-so squeezable triggers

...why would I get the PS2 version if I had an Xbox?

dark10x

Marconelly said:
Dark, I think the reflections are updated at 60FPS on the Xbox version. On the flipside, I'm also pretty sure (developers words) that PS2 version uses cubic env mapping as well :)

Perhaps you are right! The reflections are excellent looking!

I'd go so far as to say that Burnout 3 might be the very best looking arcade racer ever made. It is just so damn impressive in motion!

Model 3 fans should also be pleased as it just felt like some ultra enhanced Model 3 game or something! Blasting through that alley in the demo felt like something out of Daytona 2...only really enhanced!!!!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Do you people actually think you would be able to control the speed and crazyness of BO3 with a wheel anyway? Sure it would be a neat novelty, but you would seriously crash into walls all the time. It is just too fast of a game

dark10x

Sp3eD said:
Do you people actually think you would be able to control the speed and crazyness of BO3 with a wheel anyway? Sure it would be a neat novelty, but you would seriously crash into walls all the time. It is just too fast of a game

If the demo is anything to go by, I think it would play just fine with a wheel...

Sp3eD said:

Much like with fighter sticks and fighting games, wheels always give you much more precise controls. So if anything, you'd do better with the wheel.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
What he hell did they do to my Burnout?

I finally got to play the demo, yesterday. DAMN THEM!!! This is definately a case of graphics coming before gameplay.

-The camera angle was dropped to hide the reduced draw distance. The course turned a new corner every other second, so even if you could make out the traffic through the clutter, 3/4 of the course is blindly turning.

-The road width was reduced to artificially inflate the sense of speed. The freedom of weaving through taffic (what was there) was nearly gone.

-Where did the traffic go? There were a only a handful of civilian vehicles around. This was the staple of the series and it felt like no other street racer.

I was very dissappinted. The demo felt like the game was trying to be like NFSU, rather than staying true to the series. Please, please tell me that the demo is nothing like the final game, please. The demo made me cry. :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
SolidSnakex said:
Much like with fighter sticks and fighting games, wheels always give you much more precise controls. So if anything, you'd do better with the wheel.

thank you.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SolidSnakex said:

Well, I don't think you need all that precision in BO3 which is more about ramming opponents than following the track. And the same can be said about Out Run 2 which is just "steer + break to drift without losing control however you may try".

It's like asking for a dedicated controller for Ace Combat 4. There is one, but does it really improve things? I don't think so.

Top Bottom