• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 4!

I knew this would happen!

http://www.gamefront.de/

Criterion arbeitet an Burnout 4

13.10.04 - Criterion arbeitet bereits an dem Rennspiel Burnout 4 für die Playstation2. Das schreibt das 'Official PlayStation2 Magazine' (UK) in seiner neuesten Ausgabe.

Burnout 4 ist im Entwicklungsstadium bereits soweit vorangeschritten, das es nach Angaben der Zeitschrift läuft und spielbar ist. Weiter heißt es, dass Burnout 4 im direkten Vergleich zu Burnout 3 ein massiver technischer Sprung nach vorne ist.

Wann das Spiel von Electronic Arts ausgeliefert wird, ist noch nicht bekannt (Danke Psycho Preist).

babel fish translation
Criterion works on Burnout 4 13.10.04 - Criterion works already on the running play Burnout 4 for the Playstation2. That writes the 'Official PlayStation2 Magazine' (UK) in its newest expenditure. Burnout 4 progressed in the development stage already so far, which runs it according to data of the magazine and is playable. It is called further that Burnout is 4 in the direct comparison to Burnout 3 a solid technical jump forward. When the play is kind delivered by electronics, is not yet admits (thanks Psycho praises).

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
The only thing left to add (other than polics chases) are licensed vehicles. With the 'powah' that is EA, that should be a reality.

IMO, Burnout should end w/ the current installment, and Criterion should take over the development duties of the NFS franchise.

DaCocoBrova said:
The only thing left to add (other than polics chases) are licensed vehicles. With the 'powah' that is EA, that should be a reality.

IMO, Burnout should end w/ the current installment, and Criterion should take over the development duties of the Road Rash franchise.

fixed!

DaCocoBrova said:

IMO, Burnout should end w/ the current installment, and Criterion should take over the development duties of the NFS franchise.

No, EA Canada should handle the NFS franchise but they should stop with this Underground shit though.

I thought Criterion would focus on Black after Burnout 3 but looks like that won't be happening.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, what's going on with Black now... or with their PSP development (which I'd much rather see them work on than PS2 at this point). We need another interview with Alex Ward - stat!

Marconelly said:
Yeah, what's going on with Black now... or with their PSP development (which I'd much rather see them work on than PS2 at this point). We need another interview with Alex Ward - stat!

they will probably port burnout 2 to psp or something like that. I expect an old port and nothing else

DaCocoBrova

Criterion has grown in size IIRC, so simultaneous development is still a possibility. I don't see them stopping work on Black for any game, but then again they've been assimilated, so who knows.

It was funny. The other night, I was playing Burnout 3. The guy above my apartment was playing GT4. While I'm experienceing intense crashes and physics, he was playing the videogame equivelant of NyQuil.

I thought to my self 'Self... It would be great if we could combine everything good about these two games. BO3s crashes coupled w/ GT3/4's car selection, real life tracks and realisitic physics.

Will such a game ever exist?

Gantz

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
Criterion has grown in size IIRC, so simultaneous development is still a possibility. I don't see them stopping work on Black for any game, but then again they've been assimilated, so who knows.

It was funny. The other night, I was playing Burnout 3. The guy above my apartment was playing GT4. While I'm experienceing intense crashes and physics, he was playing the videogame equivelant of NyQuil.

I thought to my self 'Self... It would be great if we could combine everything good about these two games. BO3s crashes coupled w/ GT3/4's car selection, real life tracks and realisitic physics.

Will such a game ever exist?

I've been dreaming of the game for years. As long as major car Companies don't want their cars being destroyed I wouldn't hold your breath.

jarrod said:
Burnout 3 ports to GC & PSP next summer. Just wait. ;)

I don't think PSP can handle Burnout 3

"I thought to my self 'Self... It would be great if we could combine everything good about these two games. BO3s crashes coupled w/ GT3/4's car selection, real life tracks and realisitic physics.

Will such a game ever exist?"

Gran Turismo 5 on PS3? or maybe Forza for Xbox

Gantz

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
I don't think PSP can handle Burnout 3

"I thought to my self 'Self... It would be great if we could combine everything good about these two games. BO3s crashes coupled w/ GT3/4's car selection, real life tracks and realisitic physics.

Will such a game ever exist?"

Gran Turismo 5 on PS3? or maybe Forza for Xbox

I really doubt it. I haven't seen any damage/crash screens from Forza.

DaCocoBrova

But it's not a technical limitation, so I don't see the PS3, Xenon etc. ushering in a new era of racing realism. It's a car manufacturer thing IIRC. But yet EA and NFS have been doing it for a minute now, ever since the original playstation.

If someone were to tell me that in 2005, GT4 could not be played online, nor would it have any crash physics/damage I would've fell out laughing.

But in reality it's not funny at all.

**I'm not trying to turn this into a GT4 vs. thread btw**

Scoobert

Gantz said:
I really doubt it. I haven't seen any damage/crash screens from Forza.

Wtach some gameplay videos. Haven't seen damage from the released screenshots though.

Either way, manufacturers allow damage.

In a recent GamePro they were talking about manufacturers recently allowing certain types of damage to cars. It was in an interview with the makers of Juiced. One of the developers mentioned that they still won't let you do certain things to the car though, like rolling it, showing damage in the interior of the passengers side ect.

DaCocoBrova

Why does online play for handhelds excite people? It's hard enough to play at home online and not be distracted by a phone, door bell or one of the body's many excretory functions.

I imagine the distraction factor on a protable platform would be much higher.

The only benefit I see is wireless web surfing, talking to home networks and beaming my phone number to any cute chicks I see using the the thing (which more than likely will = jail bait).

xsarien

daedsiluap
DaCocoBrova said:
Why does online play for handhelds excite people? It's hard enough to play at home online and not be distracted by a phone, door bell or one of the body's many excretory functions.

I imagine the distraction factor on a protable platform would be much higher.

'Tis why you take the DS and/or PSP down to a local hotspot and play it there instead.

COCKLES

being watched
The thing they shouldn't add (other than polics chases) are licensed vehicles - fuck realism. With the 'powah' that is EA, that should be a reality.

IMO, Burnout should end w/ the current installment, and Criterion should take over the development duties of the Road Rash franchise.

Fixed Again!

DaCocoBrova

Cockles... Admit it. The 'generic looking cars in a pretty game engine complete w/ realistic crashes' thing has run its course.

They came close to screwing up the gameplay by trying too hard to make it somewhat different than the previous versions. Crash mode ended up being the only real casualty in the end.

The same may not happen w/ Burnout 4.

Cops, shortcuts, real in game jumps over oncoming traffic, off road bits...

That's where I want the series to go.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Criterion previously indicated that they've expanded enough to handle two projects at once, so I wouldn't see this as a distraction to the completion of Black.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the September sales numbers turn out for B3. But I suspect that Criterion is probably plenty happy with the newfound attention their creation is getting, after the somewhat lukewarm reception the first two games got. As much as I've enjoyed the first three games, I can certainly think of ways to improve the experience. In that regard, Criterion has managed to more than adequately distinguish 3 iterations of the series thus far, so I have no reason to doubt they can do it for a fourth.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DaCocoBrova said:
Cockles... Admit it. The 'generic looking cars in a pretty game engine complete w/ realistic crashes' thing has run its course.
Other than personal preference, I can't imagine why that has "run its course".

Yikes! Go make your own game! Just kidding, although I wouldn't exactly say that's the most natural direction for the game to go in, anymore than the things that "almost screwed up gameplay" this time around.

DaCocoBrova said:

They came close to screwing up the gameplay by trying too hard to make it somewhat different than the previous versions. Crash mode ended up being the only real casualty in the end.

The same may not happen w/ Burnout 4.

Those are some good ideas, email it to them! And yeah I hate the crash mode in Burnout 3

DaCocoBrova

Oh, and like FlatOut, I'll take a side dish of drivers being flung about during crashes.

img-gallery07.jpg

DaCocoBrova

We're talking Burnout 4 here...

Again, other than a new can of paint (read: prettier visuals), there's not much else to add.

Gek54

WTF, you all havnt even seen the game and you are already saying the series needs to take a nap??? Apply that logic to any other series? No Ace Combat 4 please, No Twisted Metal Black please, No Resident Evil 4 please, No Gran Turismo 4. Dumbasses, all of you!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hey! Watch that generalization there! I'm more than happy to see what Criterion does with Burnout 4.

Scoobert

COCKLES said:
Fixed Again!

I don't see what the big deal is with using licensed cars. The game doesn't have to all of sudden become a sim. Hell, most of the cars in Burnout 3 looked like licensed cars already. A lot of the cars seem to be spliced too. Like some had a BMW front end with a Mustang rear.

Might as well just go the extra step and use licensed cars, if they can.

jarrod

Banned
Gek54 said:
WTF, you all havnt even seen the game and you are already saying the series needs to take a nap??? Apply that logic to any other series? No Ace Combat 4 please, No Twisted Metal Black please, No Resident Evil 4 please, No Gran Turismo 4. Dumbasses, all of you!
So.. which of those series had part 4 come in the same generation?

DaCocoBrova

No one said the series needs to 'take a nap' but they're releasing sequels far too early these days (all publishers).

The series needs something to keep it fresh, or it will dig its own grave like THPS.

This thread is all speculation and wishes. We can do that, right?

akascream

Banned
I don't get the "it's thier game" argument. Consumer demand drives the market, not some delusion of artistic integrety.

Kon Tiki

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
We're talking EA here...

Again, other than a new can of paint (read: prettier visuals), there's not much else to add other than some new advertisements.

Are they that bad? :p

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
akascream said:
Consumer demand drives the market, not some delusion of artistic integrety.
Then pull together a committee of consumers that accurately represent "the market" and have them conceive/conceptualize each and every game that will be released and have them work with a low rent developer resource out of India or some such.

Not that this had anything to do with "artistic integrety" in the first place. Mostly it's just about developer vision and craftsmanship and how those combine to make a quality game or not.

DaCocoBrova

:lol @ edit.

To be honest, I don't even notice the ads as i'm moving way too fast. That F1 caris nuts!

akascream

Banned
kaching said:
Then pull together a committee of consumers that accurately represent "the market" and have them conceive/conceptualize each and every game that will be released and have them work with a low rent developer resource out of India or some such.

It already exists in the most convenient form possible. My wallet.

Not that this had anything to do with "artistic integrety" in the first place. Mostly it's just about developer vision and craftsmanship and how those combine to make a quality game or not.

I thought it was about people wanting more from a milked to death series?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So, in other words, you have no intention of really contributing to this thread in a constructive fashion. Just so we're on the same page - let me know.

Gek54

kaching said:
Hey! Watch that generalization there! I'm more than happy to see what Criterion does with Burnout 4.

I was only refering to the people who say the series needs a rest.
jarrod said:
So.. which of those series had part 4 come in the same generation?

It doesnt even say when they plan to release it and all these fools are crying 'too soon'. Dont most developers get right to work on the next game of a successful series?

DaCocoBrova said:
No one said the series needs to 'take a nap' but they're releasing sequels far too early these days (all publishers).

The series needs something to keep it fresh, or it will dig its own grave like THPS.

JC10001 said the series needs to take a nap.

Criterion always comes to the plate with something to awe over. What has led you to believe that 4 wont do the same? ...Your lack of imagination?

M3wThr33

Banned
MMBN
MMBN2
MMBN3 Blue
MMBN3 White
MMBN3 Black
MMBN4 Red Sun
MMBN4 Blue Moon
MMBN4.5 Real Operations

Along with:
MMBCC

and soon:
MMBN5 Blues Team
MMBN5 Colonel Team

That doesn't include the GCN counterpart or the 4 other MM GBA titles, the wonderswan title, the new cell phone game or the GBA Anniversary collection on the horizon.

Top Bottom