• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes no sense at all. If the buyer is covering the fees, you are getting everything you asked for. You essentially just don't want the buyer to have as much protection, if I am understanding this correctly.

No I am not getting everything I asked for, 1. where's the packaging and shipping money coming from if I am short on Cash?

2. If something goes wrong in the delivery and the cash is blocked how will I cover it? Covering in this case works in to ways, if USPS screws up, if USPS screws up and loses the items, I can resend a new one without having to wait 3 weeks before I can send it again / or give a refund.

3. If the buyer is far away or wants express shipping he pays extra for that, I should be able to use that to get what he/she requested.

4. Might need the cash for something

It's not even just these 3 reasons, other reasons have been mentioned before and some haven't been mentioned at all.

Issue is this conversation is pointless because people on here do gifts (and it seems that's the majority) sometimes request them out right, and some don't do gifts at all. Since there's 2 groups of people in this thread, going after me curiously for not wanting not to take a gift doesn't make any sense.

I Have already dealt with a transaction worth more than the guy we are talking about, a digital more risky transaction nonetheless, if he doesn't want to pay $25 ok have fun. Another guy will get it. Oh well.

VARIA

No I am not getting everything I asked for, 1. where's the packaging and shipping money coming from if I am short on Cash?

2. If something goes wrong in the delivery and the cash is blocked how will I cover it? Covering in this case works in to ways, if USPS screws up, if USPS screws up and loses the items, I can resend a new one without having to wait 3 weeks before I can send it again / or give a refund.

3. If the buyer is far away or wants express shipping he pays extra for that, I should be able to use that to get what he/she requested.

It's not even just these 3 reasons, other reasons have been mentioned before and some haven't been mentioned at all.

Issue is this conversation is pointless because people on here do gifts (and it seems that's the majority) sometimes request them out right, and some don't do gifts at all. Since there's 2 groups of people in this thread, going after me curiously for not wanting not to take a gift doesn't make any sense.

I Have already dealt with a transaction worth more than the guy we are talking about, a digital more risky transaction nonetheless, if he doesn't want to pay $25 ok have fun. Another guy will get it. Oh well.

You should post pictures of the items you are selling if you want to be taken seriously.

SmokeMaxX

For a seller, a gift transaction or a non gift transaction is pretty much exactly the same in regards to the money that you receive. The only differences are negligible at best. Most sellers prefer gift payments but will accept non gifted payments as long as the buyer covers all fees (which means you get the exact same amount of money). Non gifted payments aren't slower. You can still receive the money instantly. Many on here are wary of Junior Members requiring things that aren't standard. It's not necessarily an attack on you; it's just that Junior Members with little or no feedback haven't built up enough trust in our community yet.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

This should be a non issue. I don't do gifts because then there is no accountability on paypal, but as long as you cover for fees so that the end user is getting how much money they requested, then there should be no qualms about not getting a gift payment.

For a seller, a gift transaction or a non gift transaction is pretty much exactly the same in regards to the money that you receive. The only differences are negligible at best. Most sellers prefer gift payments but will accept non gifted payments as long as the buyer covers all fees (which means you get the exact same amount of money). Non gifted payments aren't slower. You can still receive the money instantly. Many on here are wary of Junior Members requiring things that aren't standard. It's not necessarily an attack on you; it's just that Junior Members with little or no feedback haven't built up enough trust in our community yet.

It is completely understandable, I've read what happened recently. I've already told numerous people that if they are unsure wait for me to get a couple more sales. No issue.

Yeesh, you do know you're posting in a thread where trust and personality are the only reassn people will work with you, right? I now have absolutely zero desire to buy from you, no matter how good the deal might be.

Yeah, not understanding why he thinks he has to wait for the funds to become available. AFAIK they are instant, it isn't like eBay. And yeah, not only are people weary but we have had issues in this thread with people cutting and running after they joined Gaf just to use the thread.

Its not just that you are a junior, Eddie. Its that you are a junior who has been on gaf for less than 15 days that is selling a large number of items at low prices, and doesn't accept normal buyer protected payments.

Yeesh, you do know you're posting in a thread where trust and personality are the only reassn people will work with you, right? I now have absolutely zero desire to buy from you, no matter how good the deal might be.

You mean like people randomly aiming at me for things people are already doing?

I'm a pretty cool guy when not having random accusations. I'm sure you'll see that once this whole thing dies down. Which should be in a few minutes.

Yeah, not understanding why he thinks he has to wait for the funds to become available. AFAIK they are instant, it isn't like eBay. And yeah, not only are people weary but we have had issues in this thread with people cutting and running after they joined Gaf just to use the thread.

Its not just that you are a junior, Eddie. Its that you are a junior who has been on gaf for less than 15 days that is selling a large number of items at low prices, and doesn't accept normal buyer protected payments.

I've been told my prices are high actually. But I see your point, I clearly need to work with the people I am already getting, get them straight, get a few more sales, and things will be lets suspicious.

If I continue getting feedback in fast short amount of time as I already have things should be more settle with the people still on the fence.

I've been told my prices are high actually. But I see your point, I clearly need to work with the people I am already getting, get them straight, get a few more sales, and things will be lets suspicious.

If I continue getting feedback in fast short amount of time as I already have things should be more settle with the people still on the fence.

I didn't want it to sound like I was accusing you of anything, I was only curious why you didn't accept normal payments if the buyer pays the fees. (Mostly the reason ask for gift payments is because they don't want to pay fees). My apologies if it came off that way.

VARIA

But I see your point, I clearly need to work with the people I am already getting, get them straight, get a few more sales, and things will be lets suspicious

To help earn trust it helps to:

1. Post pictures of the items you have

2. Cross reference yourself with an established account. eBay/Amazon

3. Make sure your Paypal account is verified with your name and address. A potential buyer should be able to see your name and address with the email you provide (on the Paypal site).

Want to Trade:
3 Smash Bros Demo Keys

Looking for:
PSN credit/Eshop credit
PS+ codes

Please PM me if interested

also, Positive feedback for dmcAxle he did a quick trade over steam with me.

EDIT:Positive feedback for inter4ever
EDIT2: Positive feedback for Dalek
Positive feedback for Birbo

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
WTS: Vita 1000, $165.00 (US shipping preferred)

-wi fi model
-charger included
-pdp trigger grip included
-case included

No scratches, all buttons triggers and sticks are in perfect condition. Screen and case are flawless. Battery holds the same charge as day 1.

I am a long time GAF member, 100% ebay rating and would be happy to give you my cell number if you'd like to talk.

PM me if interested or if you'd like more pictures!

rY5SmaM.jpg

Geneijin

Besides, gift payments may not be a payment option available to international users. So to only accept gift payments limits your cilentele.

Also, payments that are not gift payments slower to receive? Unless we're talking about Amazon Payments and bank transfers which can literally take up to the full 7 days, I never had a experience with PayPal being slow.

SmokeMaxX

Besides, gift payments may not be a payment option available to international users. So to only accept gift payments limits your cilentele.

True. Has anyone figured out what enables gift payments? I'm pretty sure I've gotten gift payments from some international accounts but others don't have that option.

As for slower payments- he may be talking about eChecks which isn't a function of non-gifting payments, but rather someone who hasn't set up their account correctly.

Finishoff

Positive Buyer Feedback to Drilbit777 for purchasing Smash Bro 3DS demo code.
Positive Buyer Feedback to Richie for purchasing Smash Bro 3DS demo code.

SOLD

Allforce

The reasons you are giving for not accepting anything but a Paypal Gift is setting off every red flag mentioned earlier in the thread. There is absolutely no reason to decline payment if the buyer wants to pay the fees themselves.

I was seriously considering the WiiU you had but the fact you're arguing with so many people who (rightly) have legitimate concerns just screams of something fishy going on.

ZeroCDR

H: PS+ 30 Day Trial Code from Destiny (For new PS+ members only)

W: PS+ 7 Day Trial

My friend needs to re-activate his PS+ subscription for a spell to get his cloud saves, as his PS3 died recently and he had to get a new one. He cannot use the 30-day code as it is for new PS+ members only. Thanks!

goldenpp72

I've been selling things online for over a decade, and using Paypal basically since it first began. The gift option is not designed to be used for a transaction, actually that is a violation of Paypals TOS and in itself can get your account terminated. It's very explicitly stated in their agreement and even more so should be clear due to the fact they do not allow you to pick shipping addresses, etc when using that option. Obviously if no one reports the user it is unlikely they will be caught, but the normal payment method is in place as a means to protect both the buyer and seller, if the package gets lost you will be fine as long as you use Paypals Shipnow label creation which attaches a label/tracker to the transaction, complete with delivery of tracking info to the buyer. This also tends to be a cheaper means to send as well, if you have the means to weigh an item at home.

People use the gift option as a way of saving a couple bucks, but it places the majority of risk on the buyer in that instance, it's a pretty standard understanding that the gift option is mostly there for the sake of the buyer to save rather than the seller, as a seller shouldn't care which option is used as long as the financial outcome is the same. If you're using the system as it's intended, it's generally safe for all involved, and I'm also pretty sure the bulk of the problems that do occur on the forum come from shady sellers, not deadbeat/jackass buyers. Out of probably 500+ transactions, i've probably had 3 go badly as a seller, 2 of which the result of me not putting a tracker on a sale, the other which resulted in me winning the case against a scumbag buyer, none of which took place here.

I hope your sales work out for you and the buyer, but you should try to be more receptive to critique and perhaps add a bit of professionalism to conveying business, even if this is a friendly, more relaxed place to trade, it's still in the end a money thing, heh.

The reasons you are giving for not accepting anything but a Paypal Gift is setting off every red flag mentioned earlier in the thread. There is absolutely no reason to decline payment if the buyer wants to pay the fees themselves.

I was seriously considering the WiiU you had but the fact you're arguing with so many people who (rightly) have legitimate concerns just screams of something fishy going on.

As I had said at the to of the page, I have no control over anything if paypal has a lock, how is that even remotely something to be concerned about?

I could have sworn I saw 2 members here say gift only in their posts as well. Such a silly accusation.

Odd I have feedback for someone fishy btw. Very strange. In fact, one person has the same concern that guy we are talking about did, but he saw my feedback, got his item, no issue.

But im warn out on this strange conversation. Nothing suspicious about it, I can probably chalk it down to im a junior in summary.

goldenpp72

As I had said at the to of the page, I have no control over anything if paypal has a lock, how is that even remotely something to be concerned about?

I could have sworn I saw 2 members here say gift only in their posts as well. Such a silly accusation.

Odd I have feedback for someone fishy btw. Very strange. In fact, one person has the same concern that guy we are talking about did, but he saw my feedback, got his item, no issue.

But im warn out on this strange conversation. Nothing suspicious about it, I can probably chalk it down to im a junior in summary.

People say gift only as a quick way of saying 'I don't want to add that you have to pay fees', i've never once had a seller actually reject payment of fees, and i've also never had a problem here. Protection and comfort should go both ways, imagine if Amazon only let you buy things using cash in an envelope on the trust system.

Canon

Banned
I have $5 in XBL credit (USD only), and because it doesn't work for Canada I am willing to trade it for a Smash code, or something comparable. PM please.

Geneijin

If that's all you got out of it, you weren't listening.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
WTS: Got two spare codes for Smash Bros 3DS demo. Asking for 8 usd Paypal, gift only. (Or you cover the fees, I guess.)

Edit: Decided to give them to friends. They are gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom