• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying DLC for a Gamepass game

Do you buy dlcs for gamepass games?

• Total voters

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The game is currently going for10 bucks on Gamepass.
Sunbreak alone is going for 15.

The base game + Sunbreak is going for 20 bucks.

P.S Hasnt Monster Hunter Rise been on gamepass for over a year now, are you really worried about it leaving soon?
I'm leaving gamepass next year:) Base+dlc price is actually better than dlc alone. Now I'm even more confused. I could buy them on Steam instead(minimal price difference in my country). I have Capcom Id, does this game support crosssave between steam and microsoft store?(no says google. So I probably buy the whole package from Microsoft Store😔 )

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I voted no because I usually never buy DLC. But I bought all the DLC for Vampire Survivors on gamepass so it should actually be yes.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm leaving gamepass next year:) Base+dlc price is actually better than dlc alone. Now I'm even more confused. I could buy them on Steam instead(minimal price difference in my country). I have Capcom Id, does this game support crosssave between steam and microsoft store?(no says google. So I probably buy the whole package from Microsoft Store😔 )

Wait are you on PC or Console?

If you are on PC then I think you should just consolidate your collection, test/play everything you can on GP and then decide whats worth owning on Steam.

Im not so clever......my GPU is good for another few month(many) so I get what I can on GP and will likely subscribe again when this is over using an MEA code.
The sale price alone makes GP worth it, the so called nuke of the MS store hasnt affected me across 4 PCs, so not sure if im lucky or other people are retarded......so far so good so just gonna keep going with this cuz im fucking poor. (he says while eyeing building a whole new PC).

BlackTron

If you already have access to the game through Gamepass, I wouldn't buy it just as a prereq to getting DLC. You can already play it, so you may as well get the DLC now and the main game whenever it happens to go on sale later, probably long after you saved yourself $50-70 to finish a game you're already playing.

SomeGit

I did it a couple of times, for Forza Motorsport, horizon 5 and vampire survivors. But they were immediately wishlisted, VS I eventually bought.

I think thats best bet is getting the DLC and wishlisting it. But I seldom get DLC unless it’s something significant.

Not for Monster Hunter. MH games have longevity that can fuel your gaming hours for more than 1+ year and GamePass games tend to stay just that long. I'd recommend you getting the complete package when it goes on sales, which happens regurlarly with Capcom games.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You will get notified I believe when its leaving and its generally on sale for base game

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've been playing Monster Hunter Rise on gamepass recently, and I really love it. I want to get the Sunbreak DLC, but I feel hesitant because it makes me feel a bit foolish. Why would I buy DLC for a game I don't own, right? However, if I did own the game and the DLC, I probably wouldn't play it again after finishing it, so buying the DLC on gamepass doesn't seem as pointless anymore.

Do you buy DLCs for gamepass games?
100% I buy DLC for Gamepass games

If said game leaves Gamepass you can then buy it cheaper compared to what it costs new not to mention if you happen to drop the game in 6 months then you are only out the cost of the DLC

But this only makes sense if you always keep Gamepass and not drop it for months at a time

soulbait

I've been playing Monster Hunter Rise on gamepass recently, and I really love it. I want to get the Sunbreak DLC, but I feel hesitant because it makes me feel a bit foolish. Why would I buy DLC for a game I don't own, right? However, if I did own the game and the DLC, I probably wouldn't play it again after finishing it, so buying the DLC on gamepass doesn't seem as pointless anymore.

The only DLC I have bought for gamepass has been Microsoft Published titles, because those should not leave the service.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Wait are you on PC or Console?

If you are on PC then I think you should just consolidate your collection, test/play everything you can on GP and then decide whats worth owning on Steam.
I'm on Pc and xbox app works just fine. This game doesn't have crosssave with steam so that's not an option unfortunately.

If you already have access to the game through Gamepass, I wouldn't buy it just as a prereq to getting DLC. You can already play it, so you may as well get the DLC now and the main game whenever it happens to go on sale later, probably long after you saved yourself $50-70 to finish a game you're already playing.

I agree with this; it's a good tactic, but Capcom is selling the DLC for $10, and the DLC plus the base game for $13. I don't want to pay even $3 for a game I can already play(and probably won't play again in a year), but I think I'll end up doing it this way. I can't stress over $3 this much lol.

BlackTron

I agree with this; it's a good tactic, but Capcom is selling the DLC for $10, and the DLC plus the base game for $13. I don't want to pay even $3 for a game I can already play(and probably won't play again in a year), but I think I'll end up doing it this way. I can't stress over $3 this much lol.

I mean the reason that makes sense is because it locks-in your sale price now. Waiting would mean intention to wait until it goes on sale again, for $3 or less, and snipe it.

Yeah just buy it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I'm on Pc and xbox app works just fine. This game doesn't have crosssave with steam so that's not an option unfortunately.

Ohhh okay.
For your own sanity if you are leaving Gamepass then just get the codes on [REDACTED] and stick to steam.
Itll make life easy.
And or get the same code for gamepass from [REDACTED] and have a couple of chill years of playing some games you may never know you wanted.
PC babay we got choices.

P.S Everyone with Black at the beginning of the username better be black...............and should have Black Swan as their Avatar.
P.P.S Or Black Adam.....who is not black.
P.P.P.S Or Wonder Woman.....not Gal Gadot.......booty Wonder Woman.
P.P.P.P.P.S Clearly im cut.............leave me alone mods.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I went ahead and bought Persona 3 Reload on XBox because I found a cheap key. I think it even included the expansion.

You even get an XBox One version along with the PC version and I think they share saves.

Last edited:
I buy DLC for Microsoft published games because I'm (fairly) confident they'll stay on Game Pass and I'm very confident I'll stay on Game Pass. Can't wait for Shattered Space, which I bought 1 year ago...

Diddy X

I believe it's the same, OP. You're going to have the same gaming experience whether you own the base game or not, but I understand your concern.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The only GP title I bought DLC for was Forza Horizon 4 as I became a little obsessed with it several years ago. There was a happy ending though as MS ended up giving the full game away for free because I had bought that DLC. Cant think of any others I bought DLC for though.
Same plus I did the same thing for 5. Hopefully MS follows the same path and gives me 5 when it is about to leave.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Rent a game and buy expansions for it resume the state of human race nowadays.
Sadly there have been MP games I have purchased over the years that the devs turned off the servers for lack of players so even owning those didn't help me and wish they just would have been on GP all along

rm082e

I think this really goes to a deeper question: How do you look at DLC? Some people have an expectation that once they pay for something they must have access to it forever, and if they don't, they've been cheated. Others just look at it as the toll they pay in the moment to play that content one time. They typically don't have an expectation of coming back to it later.

I'm in the second camp. The number of times I've gone back and played DLC content a second or third time is extremely rare (mostly the From Software games). In those cases, I would have no problem buying they base game if I had previously gotten access to it through a subscription service.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I think this really goes to a deeper question: How do you look at DLC? Some people have an expectation that once they pay for something they must have access to it forever, and if they don't, they've been cheated. Others just look at it as the toll they pay in the moment to play that content one time. They typically don't have an expectation of coming back to it later.

I'm in the second camp. The number of times I've gone back and played DLC content a second or third time is extremely rare (mostly the From Software games). In those cases, I would have no problem buying they base game if I had previously gotten access to it through a subscription service.
The problem is that I belong to both groups. I never play a game a second time, but I always want it to be in my library. Digital libraries may not last as long as physical ones, but Steam has certainly convinced us of digital game collecting.

Btw, since I plan to play for a long time, I bought the main game and the dlc. I'll be free from a new dilemma until the Lies of P and Starfield dlcs come out. If they are released before my subscription ends, I might buy them too(without base game).

Last edited:
Top Bottom