• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CA governor Jerry Brown signs six gun control bills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Glad to see something is getting done. Shame the restraining order didn't get passed into law. (although I doubt it'd ever hold up in court)

Bills the governor vetoed would have:

— Put an initiative on the November ballot to clarify that theft of a firearm is grand theft and is punishable as a felony.

— Require those who make guns at home to register them with the state and get a serial number so the weapons can be tracked.

— Required stolen or lost guns to be reported within five days.

— Limited Californians to the purchase of one rifle or shotgun per month

Ah well, it's a start

MrKyle

Can you still get long guns without a license in California?
Yes. And magazines with more than 10 rounds were already banned. This just forces the people who owned magazines before the ban to destroy them or restrict them I'm guessing.

mkenyon

Banned
Everything except background checks on ammo sales seems really dumb.

Good idea on that part though. As a gun owner/advocate, I'd support that nation-wide.
Yes. And magazines with more than 10 rounds were already banned. This just forces the people who owned magazines before the ban to destroy them or restrict them I'm guessing.
Yep. Makes law abiding citizens become criminals, which is a bit asinine.

You can't legally sell them to anyone in California already, so I'm not sure what it will change.

FyreWulff

"including a requirement that ammunition purchasers undergo background checks"

this really also needs to start happening nationwide. One, for sanity reasons. Two, to stop the resellers from buying up all the fucking .22 and flipping it on the internet and making plinking entirely unaffordable.

ShortBus

It's a start, but I'm not pleased at the vetoes. Jerry Brown has a history of vetoing "gun control" laws.

Look up why he vetoed? Google?
Anyhoo, Jerry's tryin' to make up for all the felons he let out of prison.

Hemet thanks you, Jerry. *flips the bird*

Lead

Banned
Background checks for ammunition is a "feel good" measure that is going to have zero effect on crime.

Bullets don't come with a serial number, they don't come with registration, it's going to be a none issue for criminals to get their hands on ammunition through straw purchases.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Are state level gun control laws effective at all? Seems with the free travel between states, that they'd be kind of pointless.

Guess the ammo one might be effective. Even traveling to another state, it might give them, time to rethink it, rather than a shooting in the heat of the moment.

gohepcat

Banned
More bullshit laws that will affect no one but law abiding citizens.

Yea! Let's go with the doing absolutely nothing option!

Ohhh I know. Let's just buy more guns. More and more and more and more and more. We seem to love them more than any other place in the world.

And especially...let's not be embarrassed or ashamed by the fact that we are swimming in firearms.

mkenyon

Banned
Yea! Let's go with the doing absolutely nothing option!

Ohhh I know. Let's just buy more guns. More and more and more and more and more. We seem to love them more than any other place in the world.

And especially...let's not be embarrassed or ashamed by the fact that we are swimming in firearms.
Is your argument that passing ineffective, burdensome, and possibly expensive legislation is better than not passing it?

Following that up with first a strawman, then something that has absolutely nothing to do with the legislation in question is befuddling to say the least.

Plumbob

Is your argument that passing ineffective, burdensome, and possibly expensive legislation is better than not passing it?

Following that up with first a strawman, then something that has absolutely nothing to do with the legislation in question is befuddling to say the least.

Bureacracy or death? Hmmmmmmmmmm

Bills the governor signed will:

— Require an ID and background check to purchase ammunition and create a new state database of ammunition owners
— Ban possession of ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 bullets.
— Restrict the loaning of guns without background checks to close family members.

Bills the governor vetoed would have:

— Put an initiative on the November ballot to clarify that theft of a firearm is grand theft and is punishable as a felony.
— Require those who make guns at home to register them with the state and get a serial number so the weapons can be tracked.
— Required stolen or lost guns to be reported within five days.
— Limited Californians to the purchase of one rifle or shotgun per month

His list of signs vs vetoes makes no sense in places.

ID checks for Ammo make no sense, assuming that California has backgrounds checks for actual gun purchases. If they don't, then why the fuck not?
Ban magazines more than 10 rounds. Feel good law that generally does shit all.
Restrict loaning guns to close family without a background check? Like, how close are we talking? Does a dad have to get a background check to lend his son a gun to go target shooting?

And yet he votes:
Making firearm theft a felony.
Require DIY gun makers to REGISTER THE GUNS THEY MAKE HOLY SHIT

I mean, with these laws, you can make your own gun at home, make your ammunition (which lots of people already do), and not have to change a thing about your routine.

Buy a box of clay shot to go skeet/trap shooting with your brother/son/close family member? Two background checks required.

It's lunacy.

Wasting our time and tax dollars.

None of this will prevent another mass shooting in California. All it does is squeeze lawful gun owners even tighter.

It'd be cool if California, Oregon, and Washington could agree to make their gun laws uniform, given that's where the overwhelming amount of west coasters live.

Piggus

The ones that were vetoed seemed like pretty sensible stuff (other than the one gun per month thing, which basically just hurts collectors). It's very easy to build an AR-15 from an 80% complete lower and a parts kit, none of which requires a background check. Why veto something like that but pass an ammo law that does nothing but inconvenience lawful gun owners?

Here's an alternative solution to requiring a background check every time you buy ammo. Instead of just annoying people who want to go to the range or buy hunting ammo, you can accomplish the same thing by having something like the "no fly" list, but only put people on it who have felonies and are prohibited from gun ownership in the first place. Ir would be similar to a background check, but it would be quick and simple. No fee or backed up requests.

It'd be cool if California, Oregon, and Washington could agree to make their gun laws uniform, given that's where the overwhelming amount of west coasters live.

California can keep their feel-good laws. There is so much poverty and income inequality in California forcing people to resort to crime just to survive. Address that and you might see real progress.

StillEdge

Look up why he vetoed? Google?
Anyhoo, Jerry's tryin' to make up for all the felons he let out of prison.

Hemet thanks you, Jerry. *flips the bird*
Hemet has the best food. Unrelated but on topic once was eating at an IHOP in hemet and there was an argument in the kitchen and somebody had a gun. They forced us to cash out early because of it.

Piggus

I had never considered the idea of penalizing those with stolen guns. That's a pretty damn good idea. Can anyone who's smarter than me tell me what other states have laws that are similar, if any?

The problem is guns (with the exception of Class III NFA guns) aren't really licensed or tracked, so private transfers can result in someone taking posesion of a stolen gun without knowing it. Would that person then be at fault? We need some sort of national licensing system that would require something similar to vehicle title transfers, even if it's between family members. I have guns that are technically mine, but if someone were to look of the serial number it would link to someone who isn't even related to me. That's not good and needs to be addressed.

I think a good solution would be to incorporate a system similar to the Class III process, but expand the ATF to ensure it's quick and inexpensive while remaining effective.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

None of this will prevent another mass shooting in California. All it does is squeeze lawful gun owners even tighter.

We should get rid of all laws. All laws do is cause problems for law-abiding citizens.

The problem is guns aren't really licensed or tracked, so private transfers can result in someone taking posesion of a stolen gun without knowing it. Would that person then be at fault? We need some sort of national licensing system that would require something similar to vehicle title transfers, even if it's between family members. I have guns that are technically mine, but if someone were to look of the serial number it would link to someone who isn't even related to me. That's not good and needs to be addressed.

The FBI and/or ATF should be given the power and responsibility of digitally tracking every gun in the US to the individual who legally owns it. Would take years and would be imperfect but it would be a start

That's not going to happen for decades at this rate though as the NRA has too many gun owners terrified that a gun registry means Big Brother is coming to take your guns away.

Piggus

The FBI and/or ATF should be given the power and responsibility of digitally tracking every gun in the US to the individual who legally owns it

That's not going to happen for decades at this rate though as the NRA has too many gun owners terrified that a gun registry means Big Brother is coming to take your guns away.

Agreed... It's pretty sad. Both sides need to tone down the rhetoric for any compromise to happen.

gohepcat

Banned

How can my reaction be befuddling to anyone anymore?

I'm completely exhausted with EVERY possible gun control law being called "worthless" by advocates. I can't take another person explaining to me how a gun law is redundant or "will do nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals". You have completely used up everyone's patience with this. You've had your chance over the last 20 years to think of reasonable gun control measures. You have completely and utterly failed at that.

So it really doesn't bother me if something is "overly bureaucratic and burdensome". Anything that moves the needle toward a country that isn't completely obsessed with gun ownership is fine.

I want my kids to grow up in a country that has less guns. I want people to strive to reduce the number of guns in the United States. I want people to view guns unfavorably, not as a neat hobby. I want people to view gun ownership as uncivilized.

So discussing the finer points of any gun control laws should be crystal fucking clear to anyone by now. People are tired of hearing about how we're using the word assault weapon incorrectly.

KRod-57

Banned
I'd say I'm a proponent of my home state's gun laws, they seem very reasonable.

I don't understand why most states don't pass their own gun control laws, you don't have to wait for the federal government to pass regulations for you. We have no federal speed limits or seat belt laws, all of those are passed at the state level. I'm not necessarily saying I am opposed to the federal government passing gun control, but your state government is always going to be the primary regulator of firearms

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

Even tighter, like they are getting "squeezed" at all, lol.

And good. Squeeze the shit out of em.

There's no such thing as "law-abiding gun owners." Just guns that haven't been used in a murder yet. Everyone's "responsible" till the day they aren't.

FyreWulff

Background checks for ammunition is a "feel good" measure that is going to have zero effect on crime.

Bullets don't come with a serial number, they don't come with registration, it's going to be a none issue for criminals to get their hands on ammunition through straw purchases.

It's not to trace bullets. It's to cut down on the Amazon River-sized flow of ammunition. And also I want to go plinking for 2$ again, not 40$.

You sound like one of those gun broker sites that prefaces every mention of California with the "leftist state of".

Are state level gun control laws effective at all? Seems with the free travel between states, that they'd be kind of pointless.

Guess the ammo one might be effective. Even traveling to another state, it might give them, time to rethink it, rather than a shooting in the heat of the moment.

California has the advantage of being bordered on the east by a giant desert and on the north by a politically similar state.

rofl, oh won't someone think of the poor gun owners who have to wait a few more days and deal with some stuff to buy things

how are they going to feed their family!?

cause you know, any law or regulation shouldn't effect me because I am a law abiding citizen, they should only effect those who break the law! We need to get rid of all the laws and regulations so that the good people aren't inconvenienced

FyreWulff

rofl, oh won't someone think of the poor gun owners who have to wait a few more days and deal with some stuff to buy things

jackboot thugs gonna come in and take their moldy ass buckshot they bought 5 years ago still sitting in the basement

Ambient80

Even tighter, like they are getting "squeezed" at all, lol.

And good. Squeeze the shit out of em.

There's no such thing as "law-abiding gun owners." Just guns that haven't been used in a murder yet. Everyone's "responsible" till the day they aren't.

Fucking lol. That's the most terrible argument I've ever seen.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

cause you know, any law or regulation shouldn't effect me because I am a law abiding citizen, they should only effect those who break the law! We need to get rid of all the laws and regulations so that the good people aren't inconvenienced

Well, it won't be the ammo buying convenience they had before...

rsFyFCt.jpg

Brown approved bills that would ban the sale of semiautomatic rifles equipped with bullet buttons allowing the ammunition magazines to be easily detached and replaced.

"Bullet buttons"? Is this referring to the magazine release? I'm not familiar with any gun that is semi-automatic that doesn't have this, outside of the few designs that have internal magazines.

edit: I should mention that if this actually went into effect, California would in some ways have stricter gun laws than Canada and many western European countries.

Beartruck

That seems incredibly dangerous. Sunbeams consistently resting on it could heat it up enough to set a round off(maybe?), nevermind the fact that every single round in there would jostle a bit whenever you used the machine.

rykomatsu

"Bullet buttons"? Is this referring to the magazine release? I'm not familiar with any gun that is semi-automatic that doesn't have this, outside of the few designs that have internal magazines.

edit: I should mention that if this actually went into effect, California would in some ways have stricter gun laws than Canada and many western European countries.

Magazine release that requires a tool to be depressed (ie. Like the tip of a bullet or other pointed object). CA compliant AR magazine releases can't be depressed by a finger because the button is recessed.

mkenyon

Banned
How can my reaction be befuddling to anyone anymore?

I'm completely exhausted with EVERY possible gun control law being called "worthless" by advocates. I can't take another person explaining to me how a gun law is redundant or "will do nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals". You have completely used up everyone's patience with this. You've had your chance over the last 20 years to think of reasonable gun control measures. You have completely and utterly failed at that.
Not your reaction, just your critical reasoning skills.

KRod-57

Banned

rsFyFCt.jpg

Are you under the impression that this is the first time California has passed its own gun control?

The purchase of firearms and ammo has been well regulated here for decade, going all the way back when Reagan was governor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom