• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California Teen arrested for smuggling Tiger Cub purchased in Mexico for $300

can own an assault rifle but can't own an animal?
get your shit together america

When a gun wants to kill someone, the owner has to make a decision to pull the trigger.

When a Tiger wants to kill someone, there's nothing the owner can do.

Edit:
Not that I'm advocating for people to be able to own assault rifles (or Tiger's for that matter)

MastAndo

They're cute when they're all grown up, too.

Sneaking+up+on+a+tiger_5a0652_6025853.gif
I don't think that's a full grown tiger, more like an adolescent...but yeah, proooobably not the best idea anyway.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
No it's a wild animal. Domestication takes hundreds of years naturally.

The Soviets managed to figure out how to do it in a shorter time but it still took them like 50 years to fully domesticate wild foxes. Then they got bored and got rid of all the cute domesticated foxes.

I didn't say it would live there long term. Its good in the short term and for its placement.

They sell those foxes from that breeding program for like $10,000.

Seperately, I was just at the San Diego zoo, and they tamed a cheetah by growing it up next to a domestic dog. Maybe they could do the same with a tiger? At any rate, they made it seem like taming cheetahs was possible but implied it was impossible with Tigers.

What's with Nevada?

Raven117

Leopard. Yes.

Dude Leopards are effing mean and vindictive. In the wild, if you fight a lion and somehow hurt it, it will run away. If you fight a leopard, somehow hurt it, it will run away....track you while injured, and kill you...and not eat you. (Ie, revenge).

Rather try my luck with a lion or tiger more than one of those guys.

So...

...is it racist of me to think that the guy he saw with the full grown tiger was a drug lord?

Like, who the fuck has a tiger on a leash OTHER than a drug lord? Or a stage magician.
Nah, I have pictures from when we were visiting family in Mexico. Dude was just chilling and walking around with a tiger on a chain. A few others. They're mostly used for tourist. Like a person posted up a page back you can get people to pay a lot for 5-10 minutes and a photo.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Man I still don't get it.

I owned rabbits, lizards, frogs, and chinchillas as a kid all because my parents wouldn't let me get a dog or cat.

Now I have a dog and a cat, my parents have a dog, I can just stash my pets there when I go traveling for work or leisure.

Plus, dogs and cats are actually well socialized and interact with you in a profound way---I don't think any other pet does that.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hedgehogs count as exotic animals so I can't own one as a pet where I live.

I used to own one, but moved to CA where ferrets and hedgehogs can't be owned... yet I read that cheetahs are legal? Hedgehogs are a weird one. I can see ferrets possibly overpopulating if let out in the wild, but hedgehogs? C'mon...

Joeytj

Banned
There are probably more captive tigers in North America than wild tigers in Asia.

That reminds me of the idea some conservationist and businessmen have had throughout the years of basically reintroducing megafauna back into North America by "rescuing" endangered animals from Africa and setting them free in the continental U.S. and maybe even Canada or Mexico. Even if they are used for hunting, they would still be much more safe than in Africa.

It already happened with the Oryx. A few hundreds were introduced in New Mexico and now are a bigger population than others in Africa and Asia.

Dawwwww, super cute.

I don't know how anyone could own an animal as powerful as a full grown tiger or bear and not fear for their fucking lives every second of the day. You piss them off once on accident and then your head is flying out a window.

v1lla21

That reminds me of the idea some conservationist and businessmen have had throughout the years of basically reintroducing megafauna back into North America by "rescuing" endangered animals from Africa and setting them free in the continental U.S. and maybe even Canada or Mexico. Even if they are used for hunting, they would still be much more safe than in Africa.

It already happened with the Oryx. A few hundreds were introduced in New Mexico and now are a bigger population than others in Africa and Asia.
That would be a good idea where deer overpopulation is a problem.

zeemumu

I used to own one, but moved to CA where ferrets and hedgehogs can't be owned... yet I read that cheetahs are legal? Hedgehogs are a weird one. I can see ferrets possibly overpopulating if let out in the wild, but hedgehogs? C'mon...

They can really move and have attitudes. Can't have that in CA

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
UPDATE:

The tiger cub is actually on display at the Safari Park

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...gled-mexico-now-view-san-diego-zoo/602361001/

From fugitive to star attraction: the Bengal tiger cub seized by customs agents at a California border crossing is now on view at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

Customs and Border Protection officers noticed the male cub on the floor between a passenger's legs in a car at the Otay Mesa border crossing with Mexico on Wednesday.

Now the zoo is providing veterinary care for the member of an endangered species, with only 2,500 Bengal tigers in the wild.

The zoo said Friday that the male cub, which is about 6 weeks old and weighs about 6 pounds, will be visible at various times at the Animal Care Center's nursery window. The cub's teeth are coming in, so it will be teething for the next week or two.

“His heart and lungs sound good, his blood work looked great and, since he took a bottle from us, it’s a good sign he’ll continue to thrive,” said Jim Oosterhuis, the principal veterinarian at the zoo.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will determine a permanent home for the cub.

Luis Eudoro Valencia of Perris, Calif., was charged Wednesday with smuggling and unlawful importation of wildlife, after customs officers noticed the cub in his car, according to the criminal complaint.

Valencia told investigators he bought the tiger for $300 from somebody who he saw Monday in Tijuana walking an adult tiger on a leash, according to the criminal complaint.

The market value in the U.S. for a Bengal tiger cub is about $1,500, according to the criminal complaint filed by Eduardo Nieves, an agent with U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Also, it turns out the market value for a Bengal Tiger cub is $1,500 according to the criminal complained filed against the teen. That's still far lower than I would have guessed.

And he weighs 6 pound sooooooooo cute

You could probably squeeze $300 out of me to just give me 20 minutes to hug and pet the cub. Selling it for $300 is worrying as hell. Where do you even get one?

Fuck worrying about where to get one, theres no way I could afford to keep it fed lol. Dont they eat like 200 lbs of meat a day ?

Top Bottom