• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III |OT| No Content For Old Gen

Anyway, about the actual gameplay... as a TDM player I usually find the team balancing to be pretty good. The games are rarely blowouts. Yeah, you get the odd blowout here and there (as in, 65-100), but generally speaking, the game does a pretty good job of figuring out how to balance the teams and the score is usually 80's or 90's - 100.

So I tried Domination again last night. That was a mistake. In about 3 hours of play, the closest match was ~150-200. I regularly got games where the score was <100-200, even a few ~50-200. 50! That's equivalent to 25-100 in TDM, which I have never seen in months of playing BO3. It wasn't because some OP large party was dominating either. Yeah we had a few parties of 2-3 players, but the team balancing should even those out over the span of several games. Never happened. In my last match of the night, it ended up 2 vs 6 (I was one of the 2), with me going 19-7-7-3 and obviously losing horribly. Yeah fuck objective modes in COD. Back to TDM.

Ensoul

Anyway, about the actual gameplay... as a TDM player I usually find the team balancing to be pretty good. The games are rarely blowouts. Yeah, you get the odd blowout here and there (as in, 65-100), but generally speaking, the game does a pretty good job of figuring out how to balance the teams and the score is usually 80's or 90's - 100.

So I tried Domination again last night. That was a mistake. In about 3 hours of play, the closest match was ~150-200. I regularly got games where the score was <100-200, even a few ~50-200. 50! That's equivalent to 25-100 in TDM, which I have never seen in months of playing BO3. It wasn't because some OP large party was dominating either. Yeah we had a few parties of 2-3 players, but the team balancing should even those out over the span of several games. Never happened. In my last match of the night, it ended up 2 vs 6 (I was one of the 2), with me going 19-7-7-3 and obviously losing horribly. Yeah fuck objective modes in COD. Back to TDM.

At times TDM is even but regularly I am on a team that has one or two players who go 4-20.

Objective modes are very very frustrating and I always go for captures so I am the guy who ends up with a line of 10-30-7-5. The top players end up with a line of 30-10-2-0. I am at the point where it makes zero sense for my to go for captures because my only reward is feeding the opposing team scorestreaks while watching my KDR plummet.

Like you I have moved to TDM almost exclusively.

At times TDM is even but regularly I am on a team that has one or two players who go 4-20.

Objective modes are very very frustrating and I always go for captures so I am the guy who ends up with a line of 10-30-7-5. The top players end up with a line of 30-10-2-0. I am at the point where it makes zero sense for my to go for captures because my only reward is feeding the opposing team scorestreaks while watching my KDR plummet.

You're not supposed to go straight for the flag unless you're going for a opening capture. Anytime after that, you should be going around the map and attacking from the sides and back so that you can establish map control. Only when it is safe and supported can you capture a flag.

Edit: Decided to put the Boot Camp Master as my normal calling card because it was the one that moves the most. I left the Air Support, Killjoy, and Killer Masters in my showcase.

Yes, TDM still has plenty of 4-20 players, but almost always on both sides, and the overall matches in the end are much closer than with Dom.

I think a big part of the problem is that in Dom the scoring is higher so the high score streaks are easier to get. The first team to get a Wraith or RAPS suddenly pulls WAY ahead, and the other team never has a chance after that. If someone gets a Wraith in TDM they are legit great players and probably would have won the match anyway. In Dom, it's just a race to get the first Wraith/RAPS and then it's pretty much game over.

Edit: As for capturing, yeah it's pretty much what Gore said. You can't throw your life away for caps. You have to push ahead a little bit, get the other team in their spawn, and then go back and cap. I don't see this as the problem with the mode.

M.D

Does anyone else have their PS4 react extremely slow or freeze for a few seconds when using the OS while playing the multiplayer?

The game itself is fine but the PS4 acts like its about to die
Can anyone answer this? I want to know if it's normal or there's something wrong with my PS4

It would be a perfect companion for a sniper class, when it comes to close quarters it really is point and kill.

Hope you get lucky soon.
Thank you, it would be cool if I got it. But honestly this game takes less and less of my time. There are just too many things about it that I think suck, so Rainbow Six: Siege has been taking most of my time. I can't believe that this imbalanced mess of a game, that's also loaded with silly microtransactions came from the same studio that made Black Ops 2, which I consider to probably be the best multiplayer game in the series. (Networking issues/poor implementation, and a few other things aside.)

I just feel very bipolar about the game. I barely played Ghosts and Advanced Warfare and hated them both, and I may have ditched this game already if the last two CoD games had been good...I've just had an itch to play a good new CoD game, and this one doesn't fit that bill. But it's just decent enough for me to not totally ditch it like I almost did with Advanced Warfare and Ghosts. Black Ops 3 is just such a disappointing game.

Agent

I had a stash of keys saved up so figured I would try for the new items. Opened probably around 20 cases between the original keys and burned duplicates.

Number of new weapons received: 0

I did receive some of the new taunts/outfits, but come on, not even one weapon?

This whole missing out on weapons thing because of supply drops sucks, really kills the longevity of the game for me. New weapons/maps keep things fresh, not grinding out keys and praying I get something.

Ganhyun

I really think the weapon drop rates are super low for both sets of crate weapons.

Definitely not happy about the weapons in the crates like that. They should have been tied to the DLC, not something with a drop rate so damn low that Youtubers can spend hundreds of dollars and not get a weapon still.

Skittles

I had a stash of keys saved up so figured I would try for the new items. Opened probably around 20 cases between the original keys and burned duplicates.

Number of new weapons received: 0

I did receive some of the new taunts/outfits, but come on, not even one weapon?
There's 100s of items in the pool and you're expecting to nab one of five weapons in just 20 tries?

The new zombies patch is fucking amazing. It's going to make me get back into the game

someday

Banned
The duplicates are a huge bummer and only make the odds worse. There's so much stuff that I haven't gotten and yet I'll still get entire supply drops with all duplicates. At least I'm not stupid enough to spend actual money on this crap but apparently plenty are so it's only going to get worse.

The duplicates are a huge bummer and only make the odds worse. There's so much stuff that I haven't gotten and yet I'll still get entire supply drops with all duplicates. At least I'm not stupid enough to spend actual money on this crap but apparently plenty are so it's only going to get worse.

Why is it stupid if I want to spend my own money on them?

If we all stop buying them evil activision will stop and give it us for free? Yeah right!

I've spent money and have got a Wrench and Marshall I may be a cunt but I'm not stupid.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to wait until Easter weekend to see if they do anything special for the supply drops, then I'll finally cash them in. Still have less than 200 so my odds are pretty low.

someday

Banned
Why is it stupid if I want to spend my own money on them?

If we all stop buying them evil activision will stop and give it us for free? Yeah right!

I've spent money and have got a Wrench and Marshall I may be a cunt but I'm not stupid.
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

tariniel

The part of the weapons in crates thing that pisses me off is I feel those weapons should be part of the season pass to begin with. I guess that's my fault for buying a season pass, I really should have known better and definitely wont make that mistake again.

It wouldn't even be so bad if they had an alternate way to buy them - 30 coins for a rare crate, maybe 100 coins for your choice of weapon. Let the cosmetics stay random so people still have reasons to buy crates, but don't make me deal with RNG on weapons. I'll gladly play and save up coins to buy them outright.

The part of the weapons in crates thing that pisses me off is I feel those weapons should be part of the season pass to begin with. I guess that's my fault for buying a season pass, I really should have known better and definitely wont make that mistake again.

It wouldn't even be so bad if they had an alternate way to buy them - 30 coins for a rare crate, maybe 100 coins for your choice of weapon. Let the cosmetics stay random so people still have reasons to buy crates, but don't make me deal with RNG on weapons. I'll gladly play and save up coins to buy them outright.
People will dish out WAY more money for chances to receive a weapon over a costume. It wouldn't even be close I don't think.

Hence why this current model of doing supply drops will continue.

Yeah, the weapons not being part of the DLC just sucks.

I still enjoy playing Blops 3, and will probably buy DLC 2, but I can see myself quitting before DLC 3 hits.

It's going to be hard choosing between Battlefield 5, Titanfall 2 and CoD:Whatever in the future.

Ensoul

There's always the Sheiva with dust and reaper decals i guess.

LOL this sums up the chests for most people.

Going with the 10 key chests is officially pointless as it is all dupes and dust camo. Your only hope of getting something is saving up 30 keys.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
LOL this sums up the chests for most people.

Going with the 10 key chests is officially pointless as it is all dupes and dust camo. Your only hope of getting something is saving up 30 keys.

I've been getting epic and legendary decals and attachment variants in 10 key packages as well as the 30 ones. They seem equally random/worthless.

M.D

Mine and my son's systems also bog when going to the dash while playing, so I think it's safe to say it's normal.

Good to know my PS4 is not dieing! I woonder why it does that tho? Doesn't happen with other games..

Anyways, got a question for you folks - How do I get better at this game? :p

I'm talking about things beyond core elements like getting better at shooting.
For example, one of the things I notice when watching really good players on YouTube is they often go on huge killstreaks and not it's because they are amazing at aiming but because they position themselves so they don't get easily caught, where as I often feel like peole are spawning right behind me no matter how much I look at the minimap.
Are there any good resources for learning how the spawn system works on each map for example?

tariniel

I've been having some weird bug with this game, when I launch it for the first time and try to join an online game, it says my PS4 network cable was unplugged. I play wired with ethernet and have verified that it's still plugged in, and no other game gives me this problem. If I quit black ops, go to the settings and verify connection, it's fine. I don't get signed out of PSN or anything, only Call of Duty. It happens every day the first time I launch the game.

I've been getting epic and legendary decals and attachment variants in 10 key packages as well as the 30 ones. They seem equally random/worthless.

Can weapons drop from 10 key packages? I've assumed they only drop from 30 so that's all I've bought since they added the weapons.

Good to know my PS4 is not dieing! I woonder why it does that tho? Doesn't happen with other games..

For example, one of the things I notice when watching really good players on YouTube is they often go on huge killstreaks and not it's because they are amazing at aiming but because they position themselves so they don't get easily caught, where as I often feel like peole are spawning right behind me no matter how much I look at the minimap.
Are there any good resources for learning how the spawn system works on each map for example?

The best are Xclusive Ace's spawn guides on YouTube. Watch the first one first since he explains how spawns work in general, then gets into specific maps with additional videos. Learning the maps and spawns is critical to success. What game mode do you play?

Ensoul

Not that I am great at the game but I do have a few things that may help:

Avoid running on the middle of the map.

While playing TDM I tend to stick to one area of the map and just sort of patrol it. Most of the time the enemy will just come to me and I can get a few kills that way.

As for the spawns: YouTube would be a good place to look for that info.

However a general rule is seeing which way your teammates are pointing on the mini-map. If most of them are pointing in the same direction the spawn is usually behind them.

someday

Banned
I used to get them fairly regularly in the 10 key packages but lately, it seems to have dried up. I was honestly wondering if they had changed the algorithm or something and made it less random.
Can weapons drop from 10 key packages? I've assumed they only drop from 30 so that's all I've bought since they added the weapons.

I have gotten the crowbar and the combat knife or whatever but that was a while ago. I've seen people on reddit saying they got weapons in common drops though so there should be a chance.

Valkrai

Yeah, the weapons not being part of the DLC just sucks.

I still enjoy playing Blops 3, and will probably buy DLC 2, but I can see myself quitting before DLC 3 hits.

It's going to be hard choosing between Battlefield 5, Titanfall 2 and CoD:Whatever in the future.

I'll probably just skip the new few CoDs or rent them until the next Treyarch one comes in. I should be fine with the DLC maps and modding when it comes. Although the weapons being in random case drops is a total load of shit.

Yes, you can get weapons from both rare and common supply drops.

Okay, I think I'm a fairly good source for some advice (at least for Domination). If you're Moti_D, I'm sure you've seen my work. As mentioned, watch XclusiveAce's spawn guides. Alright, the first thing you should know is to never go down the middle of the map unless you are certain it is safe. It is always advised to go around the outskirts or the lesser traversed areas so that you can attack foes from the sides or back. For me, I usually use a silencer, ripper, and ghost because I do not like being seen since it just isn't my style. Using those things could help, but aren't necessary. If you're not silenced, I advise trying to assume that everyone is always seeing you from every angle. Therefore, try to anticipate the worst, even if it means aiming through corners. In such cases, it's best to maintain your gunfights in areas that you won't be attacked from many positions (that's why the middle of the maps are usually death zones, too many possibilities). I also recommend using BOTH (you need to have both on) QuickDraw and fast hands, since they'll help you have an extremely noticeable advantage in gunfights. They'll help you aim and shoot faster after sprinting. Use them if the options are available in your class (I actually can't do that with my class, giving me a disadvantage and making me pre-aim a lot). If you're using an SMG, use your mobility to your advantage, especially if you're using QD + FH. Be as unexpected as possible, and stay within your range. If you're using an assault rifle, play to your weapon's strength and move from cover to cover. Your lack of mobility is absolutely deadly if you're using an AR. Your best bet is to always engage through long sightlines and while behind cover. An exposed AR user is usually an easy kill.

Also, in regards to general knowledge. Always assume that your enemies are where your teammates ARE NOT. Don't rely on the UAV too much. Focus on the flow of battle and death icons.

Yes, TDM still has plenty of 4-20 players, but almost always on both sides, and the overall matches in the end are much closer than with Dom.

I think a big part of the problem is that in Dom the scoring is higher so the high score streaks are easier to get. The first team to get a Wraith or RAPS suddenly pulls WAY ahead, and the other team never has a chance after that. If someone gets a Wraith in TDM they are legit great players and probably would have won the match anyway. In Dom, it's just a race to get the first Wraith/RAPS and then it's pretty much game over.

Edit: As for capturing, yeah it's pretty much what Gore said. You can't throw your life away for caps. You have to push ahead a little bit, get the other team in their spawn, and then go back and cap. I don't see this as the problem with the mode.

eh.. i dunno. i have many, many 200-197, 200-190 etc type domination games and rarely does the team who gets the first raps/wraith dominate a whole lot. i guess though that could be because my step brother and i usually have a black cell class handy and knock that stuff out of the sky asap. i also almost always have blind eye and cold blooded on so i can keep a lot of my focus on capping/defending if ground or air threats are around as well.

and yeah, for capping i usually try to get a couple kills, then i roll in with some trophies and pray a teammate helps the cap timer move along :p

Ganhyun

seems like they added a ton of new camos and stuff too on top of the new weapons. Ill never get any of the old or new weapons (other than the crossbow i got by luck)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't seen it come up, even in the voting screen, since it was added. If the rate is low I don't see this being a problem.

It popped up on my first try, luckily it couldn't be voted for again, but the next map in the rotation was Combine lol.

Opened a bunch of Supply Drops, no weapons, but I got a new taunt... Yay?

Top Bottom