• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Fraull said:
Hey guys quick question, in mw2 the silencer basically didnt affect the weapon at all. Is the same true in mw3? When I used it, I felt like the range was actually really affected. Anyone know?
I used the silencer religiously in MW2, however now I notice bit of a drop off at longer ranges, so I pretty much exclusively use them only with my Search or SMG classes if that helps.

EDIT:
Terrordactyl said:
You're high, it effected range quite noticably.
Naw man, I didn't notice it in MW2 either.

Maximus.

Syph Medwes said:
I used the silencer religiously in MW2, however now I notice bit of a drop off at longer ranges, so I pretty much exclusively use them only with my Search or SMG classes if that helps.

EDIT:
Naw man, I didn't notice it in MW2 either.

Cool man thanks!

Speaking of silencers, why don't developers ever make them sound properly? Aside from the MP5K, these suppressors should sound just as loud as a gunshot. Granted, MW isn't known for realism, but even still. It irks me that they think silencers actually "silence" the gunshot and make it sound so.

Terrordactyl said:
What guns? It was really noticable on the smgs I used in mw2.
Really? I used the UMP45 w/silencer quite a lot in MW2 and I thought it was fine.

EDIT:
The Xtortionist said:
Silencers are boss on the SCAR, CM901 and ACR.

*Bro fist*

Also, I think the CM901 has the best reload animation lol.

Xux

Syph Medwes said:
Really? I used the UMP45 w/silencer quite a lot in MW2 and I thought it was fine.
Probably 'cause that's one of the few guns in the series that's barely effected by a silencer.

vatstep said:
I don't think I can play Domination in this game anymore. It was my preferred playlist for MW2 and Black Ops, but it's just so bad on most of these maps. If your team is only holding one flag (or worse yet, none), the combination of the map design plus the horrendous spawns make it worse than ever if you don't have a competent team.

It's a shame. Luckily, Kill Confirmed and Team Defender are both awesome, so they'll be taking it's place for me.

Agreed. I played like 300 hours of Domination in Black Ops, but it's just not fun at all in MW3. Yet, we do keep playing it :) Kill Confirmed is awesome.

Xux

Haha, I think this is one of the best sets of Domination maps we've had in awhile. None of the embarrassingly bad layouts like Launch, Radiation, Havana, Berlin Wall, Drive In, or Hazard.

Xux said:
Haha, I think this is one of the best sets of Domination maps we've had in awhile. None of the embarrassingly bad layouts like Launch, Radiation, Havana, Berlin Wall, Drive In, or Hazard.
I think the maps are fine, just on some of them the spawn points are awful.

Except for Carbon, that map sucks no matter the gametype.
I hate you Carbon!

Xux

Syph Medwes said:
I think the maps are fine, just on some of them the spawn points are awful.

Except for Carbon, that map sucks no matter the gametype.
I hate you Carbon!
Yeah, that one's tricky. I did pretty good earlier with an AA12/ACR build in HQ. I still seem to be not so good at Hardhat and Downturn. Gonna need to review those more.

Lolerzors

Its getting harder and harder to find games that aren't plagued by akimbo FMG 9 users... 90% of the time, if you run into one of them in a head-on fight, you'll lose even at medium range. The guns just accurately fire a whole mass of bullets into a small area! The game had so much more weapon variety before people found out that the akimbo FMGs were overpowered. Hope there's a patch coming soon to nerf it somehow...

Don't even see how it can be done, the maps themselves are cramped just enough to make the akimbo combo work for almost any encounter...

Fraull said:
in MW2 the range bar did decrease, but it honestly was not noticeable at all. That's why I was wondering, but I guess they fixed that issue.

but... who need range in this game? Maps let you see only at ten meters from your gun.
And wow at akimbo build, shoot like a covenant rifle.

Xux said:
Yeah, that one's tricky. I did pretty good earlier with an AA12/ACR build in HQ. I still seem to be not so good at Hardhat and Downturn. Gonna need to review those more.
Yeah I have trouble with those maps too, there are just so many places to blend in and hide, it takes forever to check every corner.

Xamdou

Damn create a clan feature in cod elite is still not operational, wtf activision? Made billions off this franchise and takes this long to get one basic feature in.

darkwing

Xamdou said:
Damn create a clan feature in cod elite is still not operational, wtf activision? Made billions off this franchise and takes this long to get one basic feature in.

lol they were cheap enough not to use dedicated servers, they must have figured p2p servers will work with elite XD

glaurung

Spent the last night playing Spec Ops and then some multiplayer. Finally got up to wave 25 when soloing on the very first map.

Dual sentry guns and the riot shield squad are awesome.

"Kill 5 enemies with a single Predator Missile" is glitched. I just got a triple with a pred missile, then died, later I got another pred missile and got another kill, and that's when I got the challenge/emblem.
At first I thought the wording was just wrong and they meant a cumulative 5 kills with predator missiles, but that doesn't make sense, and even if they did mean that, I only got 4 kills in total!

Either way I'm fine with it, that got me the 5000XP I needed to reach the end of level 80.

Now to prestige and start all over again! (for the last time...unless I change my mind again haha)

Finished the campaign last night. Fucking brilliant as expected. Even some emotional parts as well, just like the other 2.

IW - It's time to take on BF3 now with map sizes and better warfare.

maomaoIYP

glaurung said:
Spent the last night playing Spec Ops and then some multiplayer. Finally got up to wave 25 when soloing on the very first map.

Dual sentry guns and the riot shield squad are awesome.

The top player had it up to wave 49 when I checked a few days ago. I have no idea what they could possibly be doing. I made it to 24.

Kyoufu

MarkMclovin said:
IW - It's time to take on BF3 now with map sizes and better warfare.

lol no

COD is not Battlefield

Why would they take on a different kind of game that isn't even as successful?

Honestly, I don't think the maps are that small.
I mean, sure, some of them are Rust-esque, but I think the real issue is how they're constructed.
One of the reasons I hate Carbon so much, (albeit, it is a bigger map, but my point applies to the smaller maps too) is that the only ways to change elevations are through very small and concentrated choke points. This makes the maps feel smaller, even though in some cases, they really aren't.

I think there are plenty of maps to keep myself and other players occupied for a long time, but in the inevitable map packs I would like to see some bigger maps, perhaps Estate, Crash, (my favourite map) and even Fuel, which got some hate in MW2 but I think could really work with MW3 gametypes, like Team Defender.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Does anyone know how the free map pack downloads will work for Elite members on the 360? Will they be within the Elite app, or free items on the Marketplace only Elite members can see, or same map packs but with a 0pt price?

I hope it's the first, because I'm worried they again region lock them on XBLM. I live in UK but still have a Finnish Live account because MSFT is unable to change the country, and I am unwilling to wipe out 7 years of my gaming history and a tag with all my friends. Elite sub wasn't region locked though.

SmokeMaxX

You can't play Domination like in previous CoDs. As bad as it sounds, take two flags and camp the opponents spawn. Get on the outskirts of their base but close enough so that the flag is nearly visible (or visible). Have your back to the center of the map (or a position where your back COULD be towards the center of the map if you were facing towards their spawn). This game makes it VERY easy to camp the opponent's spawn and get a ton of kills. I'm a runner and gunner and doing so in this game's Domination only gets you CONSTANTLY shot in the back.

rance said:
Black Ops still has a community of 200,000 which is an absurd amount to have after a sequel. One of the good things about CoD games: they don't lose their audience. I can play BLOPS for more of the traditional mid to long range with some close and MW3 for almost all CQB. It's a damn shame the map packs come up to $60.
I can still easily get a 4 game bar in WaW. Always Aussie host too, which is nice. Australians also don't seem to hack, so hacking only becomes a problem when Americams join the lobby, which is mercifully rare. Cunts.

aku:jiki

I'm a little disappointed in some of the things they took from Black Ops by now. I still don't think guests should be allowed in ranked play - that's what private matches are for and the guests always derp up the match by playing like morons or just dropping the controller for the duration of the match.

Also hate how they allow party chats in every game mode now, because that just results in pretty much everyone online sitting in a party chat and not in game chat. So when I score a MOAB, like yesterday, and tell my struggling team to move in on the objective while I detonate, they don't hear me laying out my plan, nothing happens and we still lose.

ilnadmy said:
Oh, interesting. So it's a way to rank up quicker and get through all those prestiges.
No, that's a fairly irrelevant bonus. They're doing it because it's the proper way to play Domination. What does GAF think a team that holds A and B are supposed to do? Hang back by A and wait and see if the opponents cap B? No, they hang around B and make sure the other guys never leave C.

Kyoufu said:
lol no

COD is not Battlefield

Why would they take on a different kind of game that isn't even as successful?

Who said CoD should be Battlefield?

I'm saying that they should now take the series and up the map sizes and bring in vehicles.

Do you think that the next CoD (From IW as I'd expect Treyarch's to be BLOPS2) should be similar again to MW1, 2 and 3 especially the competition it has with BF?

Enosh

MarkMclovin said:
Who said CoD should be Battlefield?
you
MarkMclovin said:
I'm saying that they should now take the series and up the map sizes and bring in vehicles.
twice now
MarkMclovin said:
Do you think that the next CoD (From IW as I'd expect Treyarch's to be BLOPS2) should be similar again to MW1, 2 and 3 especially the competition it has with BF?
it should be about close quarter infantry battles, because that is something CoD does well and BF doesn't do (well, at least they don't do it well), I don't need the same game twice per year, if I want vehicles, lots of people and big maps I'll buy BF because that's what DICE has been doing and doing well at that, for the past 10 years. If I want infantry combat on small maps with a small number of players I'll buy CoD, because that's something IW has been doing well for the past 10 years

Meadows

Banned
IMO:

Seatown - Generally good map, doesn't come up much on the playlists though for some reason, played 7 hours of competitive multiplayer and I've only had 1 full match on there. Highlight is the maze of alleyways and the way the market stalls block your views. 8/10

Dome - Grown on me a lot, pretty nice change of altitude and people caught climbing up the ladder to go onto the upper platform get suitably punished. I like the abandoned factory too, but it seems like there is an over emphasis on the hotspot between the factory and the bunker. 6/10

Arkaden - My favourite for sure, but I'm a sucker for malls in games. Good use of altitude and some nice spots for snipers that give a good risk/reward on using a sniper (although you're still vulnerable to people leaving the shopping mall or going through the bar area. 9/10

Bakaara - Decent but quite forgettable, again, good for snipers and well balanced in terms of its distribution of combat hotspots (maybe 3 or 4), but generally just a bit bland and boring. 6/10

Resistance - Now dissimilarly to Bakaara, this map looks quite nice and has a nice style, but there are just too many directions that an attack can come from, I find myself getting killed from left right and centre. Also, this is an exemplary case of a map that glorifies SMGs 4/10

Downturn - Looks a bit boring (which it shouldn't be, it's an interesting idea), but I like the tunnels/buildings. Shares the same problem as Resistance in that attacks come from a lot of different directions but if tactical play is employed this can be avoided. Too much clutter on the street though 5/10

Bootleg - Pretty bland really, decent for snipers but a bit boring on the whole, very average 5/10

Carbon - Unbalanced for me because one team's spawn point is at the high side of the level while the other's is at the low side, giving the high side an advantage at the start, catwalks and interesting building layouts make it a bit better. Good CQC 6/10

Hardhat - All the makings of a classic, interesting setting, good verticality, decent for assault rifle users, echoes of de_dust 9/10

Lockdown - Good interior play but kills are balanced in favour of people who skirt around the edges of the map and shoot inwards. Campers are suitably punished however. 5/10

Village - Boring, horrible and unbalanced, one hotspot that everyone runs to and a lack of any fun gameplay. Worst level on the game... 2/10

Interchange - ...apart from Interchange. Too open, not enough sense of where you're getting shot from, rubbish in all senses of the word 1/10

Outpost - Good for S&D/KC. Tip for defending team, run right up the middle of the map (i.e. not the bunker/warehouse, just through the middle), i guarantee at least 2 kills. Good map 7/10

Fallen - A bit like Overgrown but not quite as good for me, too much emphasis on the courtyard area and the house next to it, but still generally decent and rewards stealthy play 7/10

Underground - It's alright really, the trainyard area is the best because of the catwalks/buildings that surround it. Skilled players will be rewarded 7/10

Misson - Good map, interesting dynamic between the houses at the bottom of the slope and the low walled area at the top, gives snipers a chance at a few kills if they watch their back, cqc also good in the maze of streets on the top of the hill 8/10

P.S.

Am I the only one who gets lockdown and hardhat all the time? Swear those two maps make up like 30% of my games.

Meadows said:
IMO:

[snip snip]

P.S.

Am I the only one who gets lockdown and hardhat all the time? Swear those two maps make up like 30% of my games.

Firstly, awesome review of the maps, maybe I'd give some of them a point more or less, but for the most part you're spot on.

And yes, I get Lockdown and Hardhat far too often. I've only just played Bootleg because of the frequency of those two maps.

Risible

TacticalFox88 said:
Speaking of silencers, why don't developers ever make them sound properly? Aside from the MP5K, these suppressors should sound just as loud as a gunshot. Granted, MW isn't known for realism, but even still. It irks me that they think silencers actually "silence" the gunshot and make it sound so.

Serious question - if they don't suppress the sound, why would you use one? Isn't that the point of a silencer?

Caramello

Meadows said:
IMO:

Bootleg - Pretty bland really, decent for snipers but a bit boring on the whole, very average 5/10

I'd personally give bootleg an 8/10 simply because its great for Kill Confirmed with the PP90 and I have a lot of fun with it.

Other than that, I can't really disagree!

Risible said:
Serious question - if they don't suppress the sound, why would you use one? Isn't that the point of a silencer?

In-game? You'd use it because you don't appear on the minimap when you fire your weapon.

aku:jiki

Meadows said:
(map reviews)
Good post, but you should really note what game mode you're talking about. Village is one of the best maps for Demolition. The only problem in Demo is that they have a spawn point that's behind the A bomb, which is retarded when we're trying to plant and they suddenly come from behind. Resistance is also pretty much perfect for Demo with great map layout, spawn points and bomb placement.

On the other hand, Interchange, Carbon, Hardhat, Bootleg and Dome are near unplayable in Demo, with one team spawning far too close to the bomb site and the other spawns far away. Basically cannot win those maps unless at least half your team is tactically inserting close by.

I still don't understand how anyone goes positive on Dome. I just don't get it. That map is just a clusterfuck of people flying around corners at lightspeed and instakilling me, far worse than any other map. :(

hamchan

MarkMclovin said:

20+ million sales says yes? You're saying this as if CoD is feeling pressure from BF to change, when really the sales say it's the other way around.

Meadows

Banned
HOLY SHIT BALLS

Just got juggernaut on demolition (hardhat) with my support streak. I felt LIKE A GOD i was mowing people down with my USP, got a 10 kill streak before I got ambushed by like 4 of them lol, then one of their players got a juggernaut suit but only got 1 kill before he was ambushed. I've never felt so powerful in an online game, it's massively unbalanced, especially if they're all running towards the bombsite to try and plant before the time runs out. When it's all one way traffic going towards you with a juggernaut suit, it really is amazing. Started off the round shit (I was on bomb planting duty lol) but salvaged what WAS a 7-9 to a 23-10. I've been on fire for the last few hours, got my ratio of from 1.15 to 1.23! (10 is my highest streak so far)

Oh, and in reference to the maps I reviewed, I mainly play KC/TDM/S&D so your mileage will vary on how useful my analysis is. I never play Domination/Sabotage/FFA/CTF/HQ or any of the hardcore stuff.

EYEL1NER

I got that email this morning too.
I guess I'm over being pissed off about how terribly Elite has been handled, but it's nice to get another month out of it.

Risible said:

Depends on the gun and ammo being used. .22 pistols with suppressors and subsonic ammo will be about as quiet as stereotypical movie/game guns, where you only hear the action. However, if subsonic ammo is not used, you still have the loud supersonic "crack" of each round that can be heard for a wide distance.

Suppressors are used IRL to hide where the shots are coming from/located and the distance they can be heard, as much as they are used to "suppress" the sound.

Top Bottom