• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

aristotle said:
I don't agree. It's a snarky comment and nothing more. Running with silencer + assassin is just another tactic. Currently I run that for my rushing setup and it has nothing to do with confidence. It allows me to get behind their lines without knowing it and helps me to control the map when they think the area is clear
meaning you don't feel comfortable flanking unless you are invisible from the radar. I'm not saying that those who do that setup are bad overall. Hell, my kd is still pretty bad as we speak (around 1.1 and I partially blame all the time wasted trying to use the ksg). But some players prefer keeping the high damage range and combining it with quickdraw to be able to take someone head on. I know this is obviously an extreme example, but sandy ravage doesn't use uav invisibility, he just make sure to use cover when the opponent knows he is there, is ready to shoot up any stairs, can know how far to throw a semtex when someone is trying to get him at long range (and of course he makes sure to combine that with effective prone), and he knows how his opponents are going to use certain spots as vantage points. He obviously flanks a lot, especially at the beginning of all his matches when he goes for first blood, but people will still constantly see him on radar.

aristotle

TestOfTide said:
meaning you don't feel comfortable flanking unless you are invisible from the radar. I'm not saying that those who do that setup are bad overall. Hell, my kd is still pretty bad as we speak (around 1.1 and I partially blame all the time wasted trying to use the ksg). But some players prefer keeping the high damage range and combining it with quickdraw to be able to take someone head on. I know this is obviously an extreme example, but sandy ravage doesn't use uav invisibility, he just make sure to use cover when the opponent knows he is there, is ready to shoot up any stairs, can know how far to throw a semtex when someone is trying to get him at long range (and of course he makes sure to combine that with effective prone), and he knows how his opponents are going to use certain spots as vantage points. He obviously flanks a lot, especially at the beginning of all his matches when he goes for first blood, but people will still constantly see him on radar.

Sandy Ravage doesn't impress me in the slightest. MarkofJ is a team player and doesn't go for just the kills. That's all Sandy does. He plays Dom and just waits for people to try and grab a flag.

And confidence in your ability doesn't have anything to do with running a silencer or assassin. It's a tactic and one that works. That's all. Far too many people rely on the minimap and if you run either of those, or both, you will always have the drop on them. Being able to sneak up unsuspecting on their back/flank is far more enjoyable to me than just merely surviving a gun fight. If that said person actually outguns me, I know it's based on skill and not on watching the minimap and waiting for me to round the corner. I'd much rather lose to skill than the firing rate or reload time on a gun, but that's just me. I however do recognize that both tactics are useful and don't try to make one sound worse than the other.

team player > kdr always in my book. I don't really care for the gun-toting awesome one man armies. I want to see someone kill a bunch of people, help his team with objectives and still win.

DRE Fei

I turned off theater mode and try to only join 50ms rooms. It makes a huge difference. Theater mode isn't that great anyway, because it doesn't actually show what happened on your screen unless you're the host. And even then it's still weird.

Akimbo FNG9s destroy everyone, especially with steady aim and SOH pro. This is the best secondary without a doubt. Steady Aim is extremely good in this game.

I hate the fact that the handguns come out so slow. The switch should be instant, even without SOH pro. They're so bad. Come on Infinity Ward, at least give me a reason to use them.

Also, sniping is fun again. Say what you want, but it's a game. The game is supposed to be about having fun. If you're really serious about winning every game, then play with a party. This dude looks like he's having fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuj1gaRqy0U&feature=relmfu

TestOfTide said:

I made mention of what you said earlier when someone asked for advice as alternative to all the suggestions to use a silencer with the pp90 or whatever that smg is called. the point wasn't to sound snarky or anything, it's just that there are some advantages to not using a silencer, even though the prospect of being your own live bait isn't a comfortable one for most people. I just think going unsilenced will make you a better player in the end.

tsigo

I think I'm finally able to pinpoint why I think these maps suck.

Think back to a map like Highrise. Think of all the less-obvious routes you could take: climbing the cranes and I-beams, getting into the upper windows of the north building, getting all the way to the roof of the south building, sniping from the very top of the crane's support beams, etc.

Now try to think of anything even remotely approaching that in MW3's maps. There isn't any. Every map is a series of tight, narrow corridors leading to a central box intended for three- or four-way firefights.

A perfect example is on Interchange, already mentioned as one of the worst maps ever. There's a tractor-trailer truck, with a huge gap between the cab and the trailer. It seems like an obvious place to jump through for a shortcut to the other side. But nope, invisible wall! "You will follow the exact path we laid out for you." In Outpost, there's a hanger with the midsection of a plane hanging up, and a box in front of it that looks like it was made specifically for you to get into the plane. Nope, can't climb it. It's strictly there to hide behind.

My favorite map in MW3 is any theoretical MW2 map they'll sell us as DLC.

*sigh* Am I the only one who's having a semi-difficult time with the names of these maps? Past games, I can look at a screenshot and go instantly, "Hey that's terminal!" "Hey that's fireing range!" "That's Crash!"

Now? Eh. "It's....that map. Meh."

:(

aristotle

tsigo said:
I think I'm finally able to pinpoint why I think these maps suck.

Think back to a map like Highrise. Think of all the less-obvious routes you could take: climbing the cranes and I-beams, getting into the upper windows of the north building, getting all the way to the roof of the south building, sniping from the very top of the crane's support beams, etc.

Now try to think of anything even remotely approaching that in MW3's maps. There isn't any. Every map is a series of tight, narrow corridors leading to a central box intended for three- or four-way firefights.

A perfect example is on Interchange, already mentioned as one of the worst maps ever. There's a tractor-trailer truck, with a huge gap between the cab and the trailer. It seems like an obvious place to jump through for a shortcut to the other side. But nope, invisible wall! "You will follow the exact path we laid out for you." In Outpost, there's a hanger with the midsection of a plane hanging up, and a box in front of it that looks like it was made specifically for you to get into the plane. Nope, can't climb it. It's strictly there to hide behind.

My favorite map in MW3 is any theoretical MW2 map they'll sell us as DLC.

I like Interchange. For me it's one of the best maps because people try to fight through those corridors. If you're impatient and want to get to one side or the other, it can be fight to get there, but those are the areas I get so many multikills in. Use extreme conditioning at the very beginning + tactical insertion and you can get past those small sections you hate so much. This to me is unlike other MW games where patience is actually rewarded instead of frowned upon. The health regen is much slower this time, so playing a wait and see game (NOT camping) is the best way to control some of these maps.

TacticalFox88 said:
*sigh* Am I the only one who's having a semi-difficult time with the names of these maps? Past games, I can look at a screenshot and go instantly, "Hey that's terminal!" "Hey that's fireing range!" "That's Crash!"

You're not alone. I constantly forget the names of maps except Arkaden, Interchange, Seaside and Carbon. I Kind of like Arkaden, I like Interchange, and I love Seaside. I absolutely loathe Carbon since it's so poorly designed. For me Carbon is the worst map I've played on. I don't even think I've played on all of the maps yet. I wish they would've left out voting for maps so it would be an actual rotation instead of Interchange - TDM, Interchange - Kill Confirmed, etc etc.

Tambini

TacticalFox88 said:

Yeah me too but I'll give it some time

Radec

man, silencer+assassin is where my game's at. i tried to use different build but it just wouldnt cut it.

type 95 is indeed a beast.

aristotle

AnEternalEnigma said:
So yeah...Activision said today with all the problems Elite is having, they may just say fuck it and not do a PC version for it.

Source?

Lionheart1827 said:
Finally was able to setup my own clan just now. Took long enough for this to start workin.

Sorry to tell ya, but it's still not working. Send an invite and see if they show up in the roster ;)

aristotle said:
Sorry to tell ya, but it's still not working. Send an invite and see if they show up in the roster ;)

Well, its showing up in pending invites, although my friends haven't seen them yet.

One step closer than I've ever been haha.

knitoe

Radec said:
man, silencer+assassin is where my game's at. i tried to use different build but it just wouldnt cut it.

type 95 is indeed a beast.
Especially on small maps, ass + silence is the only way to go. Unless, you like getting shot from behind due to close respawns.

aristotle

AnEternalEnigma said:

Thanks :) From what I've understood though, Elite was never an option for PC due to the possibility of users hacking their accounts (same reason for their servers or something). I admit I haven't kept up with the PC CoD stuff at all.

Lionheart1827 said:
Well, its showing up in pending invites, although my friends haven't seen them yet.

One step closer than I've ever been haha.

Cool. I know earlier today, invites never even showed up under the pending option. Good to know. I hope it'll be working soon.

TacticalFox88 said:

Hmm. Yup. Lets see, I could say Dome, Interchange, Seaside, Bootleg, Hardhat...thats about it. 5/16

aristotle said:
Cool. I know earlier today, invites never even showed up under the pending option. Good to know. I hope it'll be working soon.

Yeah right now I'm trying to get back into the "Manage Clan" section and it keeps giving me tons of errors and timeouts so its still acting pretty crappy.

aristotle

Lionheart1827 said:
Yeah right now I'm trying to get back into the "Manage Clan" section and it keeps giving me tons of errors and timeouts so its still acting pretty crappy.

yeah tell me about it. I'm currently trying to track all my members (makes it easier to invite) and I'm having issues. It doesn't help that I'm on a powerpc either. Mac browsers suck FYI. Once I track everyone, it's a simple click to invite them. I'll try to invite them again once I get home to a decent browser. I sent out invites a few days ago, but when they accepted, nothing actually happened. I know for a fact some people didn't even click their invites and the clan still has no pending invites. I'm hoping they get it rectified soon.

Radec said:
are the jugg on support strike different from the jugg of assault? i only got a shield and pistol :/

Dunno. I never got an assault Juggernaut, but one of the loading screens does say that not all Juggernauts are alike/equal.

Radec said:
are the jugg on support strike different from the jugg of assault? i only got a shield and pistol :/
Yup, with the assault version you get an LMG I believe and with the support you get riot shield and pistol.

EDIT: Yeah, you get the M60E4.
EDIT2: lol I was late editing.

Flunkie

Banned
Radec said:
Yes. Assault you get an M60, Support you get a riot shield and pistol.

Edit: Lateeeeeeeeeeee

aristotle

PC Elite update from their twitter just now:

CallOfDutyElite
We misspoke. Our goal has always been to provide a free PC offering for ELITE. Stay tuned for an update as timing is still being determined.

I guess they saw GAF ;)

moai

retarded matchmaking is still going on, can only play with countrymen and of course can´t play many modes because no one is playing them here. i can only play tom and kill confirmed, matchmaking can´t find games on any other modes.
i feel ripped off :(

Meadows

Banned
dmg04 said:
Are you on crack?

I've been going 40/3 with the AK most games.

No you haven't.

I'm calling you out. Your KDR isn't 13. Best I've ever seen (and this was on MW, guy who was in the top 10 that my mate knew (called ElectricStorm or something to that effect) had a 3.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Genesis Knight said:
It's probably not the gun, then.
It's a great weapon. Silencer+kick=Beast.

Think of it this way;
I get about 2 kills with predetors, 3 with the heli, and 5 total with the reaper

so each game, i'm averaging 30 kills with the AK no problemo.

Random note; I'm really happy that they geared the maps towards ground forces. Killstreaks are easy to take out, not to mention there's plenty of areas to hide in so AC130's can't get 20 kills in one flyby.

edit- to elaborate more, i've been playing a lot better now that i've been using the assault strike package. With the support, i was just running around like a fool going even every match because i didn't give a shit about my K/D. Now that i'm playing more like MW2, my KD has greatly increased. If elite were working, i could link at least 10 games where i went over 30 with less than 5 deaths.

Meadows said:
No you haven't.

I'm calling you out. Your KDR isn't 13. Best I've ever seen (and this was on MW, guy who was in the top 10 that my mate knew (called ElectricStorm or something to that effect) had a 3.
on MW3 or in all? because in my time with all of the games I've come across quite a few with higher than a 3 k/d

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Meadows said:
No you haven't.

I edited my last post to reply to this, but i'll also say this;

I pulled that statistic out of my ass. Usually it's Above 30 with 5 or less deaths. What i said earlier still stands, though. Recently, i've been pulling those numbers frequently. Domination, of course. But the thing that's blowing me away is that i'm not just camping a flag or spawn trapping. I'm actively moving around the map and killing whatever i come across, almost wasting my killstreaks as people always have Assassin, and then continuing to wreck shop and re-earn all killstreaks a second, some a third, time in a row without dying.

i love it.

Rubezh

Not sure what happened but I when joined a CTF game, the first guy I killed gave me 9999999+XP. I think it affected everybody on the server as everyone was level 80 on the scoreboard.

Nori Chan

Rubezh said:
Not sure what happened but I when joined a CTF game, the first guy I killed gave me 9999999+XP. I think it affected everybody on the server as everyone was level 80 on the scoreboard.
noooooooo already :(

Did you yourself leveled up to 80?

Respawn

Banned
DRE Fei said:
I turned off theater mode and try to only join 50ms rooms. It makes a huge difference. Theater mode isn't that great anyway, because it doesn't actually show what happened on your screen unless you're the host. And even then it's still weird.

Akimbo FNG9s destroy everyone, especially with steady aim and SOH pro. This is the best secondary without a doubt. Steady Aim is extremely good in this game.

I hate the fact that the handguns come out so slow. The switch should be instant, even without SOH pro. They're so bad. Come on Infinity Ward, at least give me a reason to use them.

Also, sniping is fun again. Say what you want, but it's a game. The game is supposed to be about having fun. If you're really serious about winning every game, then play with a party. This dude looks like he's having fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuj1gaRqy0U&feature=relmfu
Uhmm no. It's correct the way it is.

Nori Chan

DRE Fei said:
oh hey its dre fei

It's me, General Ice. Did I play in a match with you? Cause I remember seeing your name in a game I was against you?

oh and i love handguns, they are easy to take out, I don't really see a very slow down taking it out even with out soh pro or quick draw

Top Bottom