• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

aristotle

Syph Medwes said:
Haha, I just prestiged and now my average kills says 1607.
Yeah, no big deal.

Their stat tracking is severely messed up. Right after I prestiged, it said I only played like 14 games and I was already level 26. I don't think I leveled up that quickly after I prestiged ;)

Is it wrong for me to sell the PS3 copy? I got frustrated from the lag, so I sold it for $50. At least I had a fun Veterans Day Weekend.. -_-

aristotle

threetri333 said:
Is it wrong for me to sell the PS3 copy? I got frustrated from the lag, so I sold it for $50. At least I had a fun Veterans Day Weekend.. -_-

You already sold it. Why are you asking? :p Did you have a wired or wireless connection? Wired > wireless always. Plus your DL speed could be an issue as well. I haven't noticed any of this lag that people are talking about for the most part. Maybe 1 in 20 games does it get unbearable, but then it switches hosts and it's fine again.

I have noticed however that if there is anyone in the lobby running split-screen, get out immediately. It will lag no matter what if there are people playing split-screen in the lobby.

Nori Chan

aristotle said:
You already sold it. Why are you asking? :p Did you have a wired or wireless connection? Wired > wireless always. Plus your DL speed could be an issue as well. I haven't noticed any of this lag that people are talking about for the most part. Maybe 1 in 20 games does it get unbearable, but then it switches hosts and it's fine again.

I have noticed however that if there is anyone in the lobby running split-screen, get out immediately. It will lag no matter what if there are people playing split-screen in the lobby.
Lol I take advantage of the split screeners.

unless they troll me and the guest account is the actual player :|

I play on PS3 and I have only had a handful of really bad lag matches. I'm wireless but my router is right next to my PS3 so I assume the connection is pretty solid.

Is it me, or you spawn right next to enemies MUCH more often in Ground War than in any other Team Game Modes.

By right next to enemies, I mean someone shoots you in the back a second or two after you spawn, literally..

aristotle

BannedEpisode said:
I play on PS3 and I have only had a handful of really bad lag matches. I'm wireless but my router is right next to my PS3 so I assume the connection is pretty solid.

I used to think the same until I switched to wired. Trust me, you're not getting what you think you are with the wireless.

Meadows

Banned
I presume lag must be worse on 360 or something, it's only really a problem in about 5% of my matches. I'm in the UK, normally play around peak time and have a 10 mb/s connection.

pxleyes said:
not exactly a high bar to leap over.

well, yes, but I have a pretty clear image in my head, in which GAF was telling me how ambitious and awesome the story in Black Ops was.
I think the most missions in MW3 are on a basic level better designed and the overall story in MW3 is suitable as a ending of the MW-story.

In the credits I spotted paul haggis as the writer. Whats up with this? Never heard/read this anywhere.

tsigo said:
I think I'm finally able to pinpoint why I think these maps suck.

Think back to a map like Highrise. Think of all the less-obvious routes you could take: climbing the cranes and I-beams, getting into the upper windows of the north building, getting all the way to the roof of the south building, sniping from the very top of the crane's support beams, etc.

Now try to think of anything even remotely approaching that in MW3's maps. There isn't any. Every map is a series of tight, narrow corridors leading to a central box intended for three- or four-way firefights.

A perfect example is on Interchange, already mentioned as one of the worst maps ever. There's a tractor-trailer truck, with a huge gap between the cab and the trailer. It seems like an obvious place to jump through for a shortcut to the other side. But nope, invisible wall! "You will follow the exact path we laid out for you." In Outpost, there's a hanger with the midsection of a plane hanging up, and a box in front of it that looks like it was made specifically for you to get into the plane. Nope, can't climb it. It's strictly there to hide behind.

My favorite map in MW3 is any theoretical MW2 map they'll sell us as DLC.

This isn't said enough.

The single player campaign & Co-Op are good in MW3. The multiplayer, on the other hand, is pure unadulterated shit. By far the worst maps in the entire Call of Duty game series.

Even Black Ops pathetically small predictable maps are looking good now.

aristotle said:
Their stat tracking is severely messed up. Right after I prestiged, it said I only played like 14 games and I was already level 26. I don't think I leveled up that quickly after I prestiged ;)
Haha yeah I had that too, it said I had only played 2 games.
Must mean I'm pretty good then :p

nym

Neo Member
just bought this game and my copy should be here Friday. Looking through this thread, really appreciate the noob tips I saw posted earlier.

nym said:
just bought this game and my copy should be here Friday. Looking through this thread, really appreciate the noob tips I saw posted earlier.

Indeed, and try not to get discouraged by some debbie downers here. Once you find your setups you like, it gets really fun. And dont pay attention to that quick scope video that everyone is talking about. I'm already around half way through my first prestige and have seen maybe one or two quickscopers, and they were terrible and negative at the end of the matches. Doesnt seem to be a huge issue as it was in mw2.

The Antitype said:
Is it just me, or is the red dot sight more accurate than the holo?

And if so, what the fuck is the point of the holo?
Not sure, but the Holo pisses me off so much.
I mean, why the hell doesn't it change to the colour of the camo you're using? Makes it look out of place.

vilmer_

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the hit detection. Using the Type 95, some matches one burst drops them in one shot (as it should) while others it takes 3 bursts :/ Very annoying.

tsigo

Noriega said:
I have yet to use it myself, or seen a video of it.

any videos up? too lazy to look it up on youtube now

I recorded a clip of it, which I would upload but every time I try to link my YouTube account on Elite, when it's actually up and not throttled, I get a "can't connect to api.elite.callofduty.com" error.

See You Next Wednesday said:
This isn't said enough.

The single player campaign & Co-Op are good in MW3. The multiplayer, on the other hand, is pure unadulterated shit. By far the worst maps in the entire Call of Duty game series.

Even Black Ops pathetically small predictable maps are looking good now.

I actually disagree. Plus Highrise devolved into complete crappy spawn camping in the first minute of a match that plagued most of MW2's maps. What I like about these maps is that they are different. I agree that there should be more wide open maps like Afghan, but from what I've played so far MW3's maps encourage more one one one, gun to gun encounters.
I felt the last two CoD's map designs were far too formulaic. Two spawn sides with a choke point in the middle. I feel like MW3's maps actively discourage camping because there's very few places where you can stay still for very long. For what it's worth, MW3 is the most fun I've had with CoD since MW1 and WaW.

LowParry

vilmer_ said:
Sometimes I get so frustrated with the hit detection. Using the Type 95, some matches one burst drops them in one shot (as it should) while others it takes 3 bursts :/ Very annoying.

Are you seeing them equipped with the ballistics vest? That usually takes 2 or 3 bursts to kill someone.

vilmer_

CcrooK said:
Are you seeing them equipped with the ballistics vest? That usually takes 2 or 3 bursts to kill someone.

I haven't seen the ballistic vests on them, think it has to do with their connection. I'm starting to think that people with an inferior internet connection have a advantage in this regard. I remember the same thing happening in Quake and SOF2 where people with 100+ ping you had to 'lead' your shots. Another thing I've noticed is that when I die and watch the killcam, it looks nothing like what I initially saw... I get the jump on someone in a close range fight but somehow I die first. Upon viewing the killcam, it shows the other guy seeing me first and getting the jump on me :(

rCIZZLE

GillianSeed79 said:
I actually disagree. Plus Highrise devolved into complete crappy spawn camping in the first minute of a match that plagued most of MW2's maps. What I like about these maps is that they are different. I agree that there should be more wide open maps like Afghan, but from what I've played so far MW3's maps encourage more one one one, gun to gun encounters.
I felt the last two CoD's map designs were far too formulaic. Two spawn sides with a choke point in the middle. I feel like MW3's maps actively discourage camping because there's very few places where you can stay still for very long. For what it's worth, MW3 is the most fun I've had with CoD since MW1 and WaW.

I agree about how the maps have brought positive changes to the game. It feels nice being able to split off from the pack and also keep everything in front of me at the same time. Every building has multiple entrances so forces me to try and push forward faster than the people possibly chasing me from behind.

The balance tweaks they did puts this game on a whole different level than MW2 imo. Nothing was more irritating than seeing some guy go from 7-0 to 25-0, nuke without having to fire another shot. Combined with the new killstreak lists I feel they did a lot to address the perceived camping problem from the earlier games. All with 60fps. *drools*

Ryck

I rented this game from Redbox the day it came out and hated it, later that day I got home and my wife had left the game for me near my Ps3 as a surprise. I thought about returning it and getting her money back since I didn't like the game.

I put more time into my rented copy still hating the game, which I returned back the Redbox the next day. Well flash forward to the weekend ( I decided to open the game) I'm playing the game and all of a sudden it clicks with me. I am not sure if it was unlocking better weapons or what. ( I love Kill Confirm) but now every time I play I am top two on team at the least.

The gun play is a lot better than Mw2 and the hit detection is slightly better than Black Ops. In any case I am having a lot of fun now that I have figured out the flow of the game and know the maps better. There are still some maps I despise like the Nyc one with the subways and what not but overall I think this one is a keeper.

def sim

rCIZZLE said:
I agree about how the maps have brought positive changes to the game. It feels nice being able to split off from the pack and also keep everything in front of me at the same time. Every building has multiple entrances so forces me to try and push forward faster than the people possibly chasing me from behind.

You guys do know MW1&2 maps where like this right? The only thing MW3 did was put too much cover because ???

rCIZZLE

rance said:
You guys do know MW1&2 maps where like this right? The only thing MW3 did was put too much cover because ???

MW1 was set up to be a camp fest. Every map had tons of spots where you could claymore up and be good to go. MW2 had the same but to a lesser extent. MW3 feels to have 3+ entrances to every area or building. After like 20 hours logged into the game I haven't noticed a significant amount of campers like in the previous titles. The cover loses it's purpose if you're always exposed when trying to hide behind it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
rCIZZLE said:
MW1 was set up to be a camp fest. Every map had tons of spots where you could claymore up and be good to go. MW2 had the same but to a lesser extent. MW3 feels to have 3+ entrances to every area or building. After like 20 hours logged into the game I haven't noticed a significant amount of campers like in the previous titles. The cover loses it's purpose if you're always exposed when trying to hide behind it.

100x this

The camper problem is much improved, almost non existent

GillianSeed79 said:
I feel like MW3's maps actively discourage camping because there's very few places where you can stay still for very long.

Well those very few spots are so camp heavy that I always go positive if I decide to not rush & camp.
The maps are so small & spawns are so fucked, it's better to just sit at a good spot & let the constant stream of enemies run into you.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Ooh, Amazon refunded me five bucks for the difference of the pre-order price, and the price of MW3 on the day of release (56.99 - 51.99) so if you order from Amazon, look for a refund for five bucks I guess.

tsigo

DMeisterJ said:
Ooh, Amazon refunded me five bucks for the difference of the pre-order price, and the price of MW3 on the day of release (56.99 - 51.99) so if you order from Amazon, look for a refund for five bucks I guess.

Interesting. They gave me the refund on release day, but only after I requested it, and their response made it sound like they were doing me a one-time favor.

sleepykyo

For the ps3 side does anyone notice that ground war village frequently degenerates into a stuttering mess? Some other maps do it but really seems like village is the new Jungle or Bog .

aristotle

sleepykyo said:
For the ps3 side does anyone notice that ground war village frequently degenerates into a stuttering mess? Some other maps do it but really seems like village is the new Jungle or Bog .

I've never noticed this myself. Most, if not all, of the lag I encounter is from split-screen players.

Highrise was godlike. Sure if you're on a bad team fighting a great team you can be pinned down pretty easily but it was great. It's not even the different routes that I miss in MW3. It's variety. Almost all the maps are parts of a city. We don't have a battle around a big cliff, on a roof, a big indoor level, training grounds, offices, fields, etc... I almost bought Elite for the founder status because I wanted new maps but then I caught myself and realized there's just as good a chance of bad maps showing up. I personally want to go back to MW2 multiplayer but I'm trying not to. If I stop playing it I may get used to this game over time.

And I know a lot of you don't like it but Dome is my favorite and after playing a match where the entire team quick scoped I'm even a little turned off on that at the moment.

So I heard you liek clusterfucks

rCIZZLE said:

the reason these maps suck are because they not only because cater to one playstyle, it does it sloppily too. The shitty spawning and all the oddly placed objects not only obstruct movement, it barely serves as cover because you can't shoot over most the objects, because it either too high or some decoration is blocking you view. Plus with all the little rooms there is more corner camping than ever before.

As it stands now, head to head firefights are non existent, so is long range combat, all it is "lol flank", alot of shooting people in the back, and alot of corner encounters ( latency influences who wins corner encounters more than anything in the game ). this is fine in doses, but all the maps play out largely the same which gets redundant, and worse than that, the close range encounters are mostly awkward because of the aforementioned reasons I stated.

You don't have to make a game that all but abandons mid to long range cover to make a rush friendly game; give all camper pearches multiple vantage points to shoot through, place cover along a path to flank behind, stop having bullets come from a guys head and from the gun instead ( why doesn't IW fix this!?!? ) have walls serve as force multiplier for explosives to kill anybody camping, etc.

It would've been fine to make a game that favored rushing, but it would've been even better if the maps were good to go along with it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Heavy's Sandvich said:
That sea level, one that looks like de_dust is probably my favourite map. I really like it.

seatown?

I like that one too, but I like most of the maps.

I think a lot of people don't like them because they like camping, but I may be way off base.

No, I'm in total agreement. I think the maps on the whole are pretty good. Maybe not as memorable as others, but love the fact there are so many differing paths.

Top Bottom