• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 |OT| Got 99 Problems, But Sales Ain't One.

Nabs

Appears I got my problem fixed. (Re)Installed DirectX / vcredist from the redist folder and turned off Steam cloud ( Some say that could be the cause ) - Booted up the game and everything was fine.

Nice. Now if only that would fix the hacker problem.

Nori Chan

I agree that MW2 had many of my favorite maps of all time as well.

If that game didn't have bullshit out the ass, it could've been better than COD4.

but thats saying a lot

Terminal, Invasion, Afghan, Favela, Scrapyard. <3

I think you named every non-horrible map in that game, even if I disagree on Terminal. Though I'd add Karachi to the list of good maps. My thoughts on the others:

Derail - way too big
Estate - lol TF141
Highrise - lol spawn camping
Quarry - camp up top, watch routs, and profit
Rundown - insultingly linear
Rust - let's make Shipment but needlessly complicated!
Skidrow - almost as linear as rundown, pick a route and camp it to win.
Sub Base - Top SEALs side was so dominating.
Underpass - infinite corners to camp
Wasteland - never ever ever move, EVER

Well there is two ways to play Wasteland.

You either camp on the edges of the map and pick off the baby buffaloes.

Or you are a baby buffalo trying to run out.

I think you named every non-horrible map in that game, even if I disagree on Terminal. Though I'd add Karachi to the list of good maps. My thoughts on the others:

Derail - way too big Still a good map regardless.
Estate - lol TF141 Assuming this is where you start downhill. Still very possible if you run the right route.
Highrise - lol spawn camping Don't run into the buildings on defense then.
Quarry - camp up top, watch routs, and profit One of my favorite maps in any game.I always thought it was balanced.
Rundown - insultingly linear Three routes and a river bed to use too. Smoke grenades help.
Rust - let's make Shipment but needlessly complicated! Shitty map, but chaotically fun.
Skidrow - almost as linear as rundown, pick a route and camp it to win.Shitty.
Sub Base - Top SEALs side was so dominating. Incredible map. Use cover to negate the SEALs.
Underpass - infinite corners to camp <3 this map. Don't get why people hate it. Never had corner camping issues.
Wasteland - never ever ever move, EVER Worst map ever.

Derail was god awful. Either stay in the middle building or risk spawns flipping when you get to the other side.

Top SEAL side on Sub Base is pretty unstoppable when there's only 2 or 3 ways up and the enemy spawns are biased to the SEAL spawn, which you can just overlook and wreck them as they come.

I'm guessing you've never played Highrise from Rangers spawn when the other team gets a good start, locking down your spawn while one of their guys gets on top of the bulding with TI.

A good Spetznaz team should never lose Estate.

Derail was god awful. Either stay in the middle building or risk spawns flipping when you get to the other side.

Top SEAL side on Sub Base is pretty unstoppable when there's only 2 or 3 ways up and the enemy spawns are biased to the SEAL spawn, which you can just overlook and wreck them as they come.

I'm guessing you've never played Highrise from Rangers spawn when the other team gets a good start, locking down your spawn while one of their guys gets on top of the bulding with TI.

A good Spetznaz team should never lose Estate.

I only play search, and 99% of my mw2 play time came from competitive play. I never really played the other modes. Our experiences are probably much different because of that, I guess.

I'll concede that MW2's map are far better without respawns. Favela and Quarry in particular are godlike for Search. I generally played TDM and Sabo some of these maps were nightmares for me.

Noriega, your new avatar =
ibaKja2eZAgdOc.gif

Sethos

Banned
That's how I judge the maps, based on ( HC ) S&D, i.e no respawns. That's why I find the MW3 maps so bad, they are made specifically for fast paced modes and their design is like a figure of eight sort of gameplay - There's barely any ways to sneak around, hide out, set up a bomb and get a good vantage point. They are just big loops and there's always someone shooting you from behind it feels like.

MW2 was incredible for the first 2-3 weeks before people knew about the One Man Army/Danger Close thing. Then it became total nonsense quickly.

Xux

I'd probably say MW2 would've been the best if not for Danger Close and Deathstreaks. Otherwise it had excellent polish, good-feeling netcode, and probably the best balance in the series. DC and Painkiller banish it to the "heavily flawed" pile with most of the rest.

Xux

Guess I killed this thread, lol.

Finally got a couple gold weapons: L86 and CM901. ...Goddamn gold camo's ugly.

Feel like I do better with the lower rate of fire guns like the AK and PKP for some reason.

Guess I killed this thread, lol.

I'll reply to your post.

I'd probably say MW2 would've been the best if not for Danger Close and Deathstreaks. Otherwise it had excellent polish, good-feeling netcode, and probably the best balance in the series. DC and Painkiller banish it to the "heavily flawed" pile with most of the rest.

MW2 was really fun for me, bullshit,and all, because it was so exploitable. Getting up on top of the middle building in Terminal with TI and OMA/Danger Close noobtubes and spawn trapping them on Spetznaz side was fun as fuck. Total bullshit, but fun as fuck. No other game has given me that feeling since.

Kujo

Spawn trapping rant ahead:

Joined a game just before, enemy team is just firing into 'A' on Terminal with their LMGs, kept spawning in same spot, couldn't move fast enough, had to quit. Someone had already used a MOAB when I joined. It's like really, are you happy with that MOAB? You're gonna spent 10 minutes not moving, shooting into one spot just so you can add +1 to your MOAB count in your bio that no one gives a shit about? At that point, you're not playing the game, the game's playing you (-Elpres)

Earlier in the year I kept running into this same full party in ground war, on the same map, same gametype (domination), different days. Spawn camping each time. Didn't think about it much though, until they wanted me to join their party one day. What they do is they keep backing out of matchmaking until they find one of a few maps where they can trap the spawns on the domination gametype then all vote for it. So they capture all but the exploitable one, and just stay just outside of the areas that can trigger the spawn changes, and just aim at all the spawn exits the whole match, trying to get their MOABs or whatever. I understand the game is somewhat to blame here, but these kinds of groups are constantly engineering this scenario. I know this particular group plays nothing but spawn trap domination everyday, I don't understand how this could be fun to anyone? Fun to me is a close game, 200-199 just before, not an opposing team who can't do anything

I also find it hilarious when you hear the voices of enemy campers/trappers after you kill them and they're genuinely pissed at you. Like somehow you're in the wrong for not letting them camp for their killstreak. The other day another team was trying to trap on Terminal, I managed to get out, flank them all and earn an osprey gunner. The amount of pissed off voices I heard was fantastic.

So I guess moral of the story is, don't camp, flank. Much more fun. I have 2,000+ most flank accolades and 2,600+ highest k/d ratio accolades, so you can definately get a good kd in this game without camping

Spawn trapping rant ahead:

Earlier in the year I kept running into this same full party in ground war, on the same map, same gametype (domination), different days. Spawn camping each time. Didn't think about it much though, until they wanted me to join their party one day. What they do is they keep backing out of matchmaking until they find one of a few maps where they can trap the spawns on the domination gametype then all vote for it. So they capture all but the exploitable one, and just stay just outside of the areas that can trigger the spawn changes, and just aim at all the spawn exits the whole match, trying to get their MOABs or whatever. I understand the game is somewhat to blame here, but these kinds of groups are constantly engineering this scenario. I know this particular group plays nothing but spawn trap domination everyday, I don't understand how this could be fun to anyone? Fun to me is a close game, 200-199 just before, not an opposing team who can't do anything

This is why demolition got new spawns. People would do "Demo All Day" with their 6 man party and just back out until dome is there and since they have 6 votes, they get dome. Then they purposely lose the planting round, so it goes to overtime and just spawn kill you all game long. IW ended up patching it to the point where you cannot do this anymore at all and several people got banned off the Demolition leaderboards for doing it. It's a shame other game modes have this problem still. This is why demolition has the best spawns out of any game mode right now. It's just not possible to spawn kill and is near impossible to spawn trap.

MW2 was fun and competitive. The only things that made it not enjoyable was the unbalanced factors with Spawn Killing by Camping Noobtubers to rack up killstreaks (forgot which map) but overall I liked it next to MW1 & BO.

I remember throwing 2 C4s onto a window and started shooting the glass to unleash hell next to a group of campers within the top building of I think the map scrapyard?
The variety of weapons/attachments within that game was great out of the series, imo.

https://www.facebook.com/MW3

Vote (aka "like") the map you would like to see as a 24/7 playlist happening this Sunday.

No surprise...Dome has 20k likes.

Terminal is 2nd with 14K
Hardhat is 3rd with 10K

I'm assuming everyone has read the details of prestige and camos and whatnot that came out today for BO2? I am extremelyyyyyy excited that EVERY WEAPON has camo now. I already said I was going to use the Assault Shield day 1 but now that I can get it gold...damn...I may not use a gun until I do so, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/MW3

Vote (aka "like") the map you would like to see as a 24/7 playlist happening this Sunday.

No surprise...Dome has 20k likes.

Terminal is 2nd with 14K
Hardhat is 3rd with 10K

I'm assuming everyone has read the details of prestige and camos and whatnot that came out today for BO2? I am extremelyyyyyy excited that EVERY WEAPON has camo now. I already said I was going to use the Assault Shield day 1 but now that I can get it gold...damn...I may not use a gun until I do so, lol.

Terminal? Really? It's a good map, but at this point I've had my fill of it.

http://mp1st.com/2012/09/28/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-community-double-xp-takeover-weekend/

Double XP starts today till Sunday.

"Additionally, a series of 24/7 playlist events will be taking place this weekend, starting with Dome 24/7 today, Friday, September 28, and then Terminal 24/7 tomorrow, Saturday, September 29. On Sunday, September 30, Modern Warfare 3 fans will get the chance to choose which two maps will get their own 24/7 playlists. One playlist will be focused on all non-DLC maps, while the other on select DLC maps."

Grinchy

Banned
Downloaded this b/c of the free weekend. About 30% of the games I join have hackers ruining it for everyone. When I do finally get to play, it doesn't even feel good. The guns are like pea shooters. This game sucks.

X-Frame

Downloaded this b/c of the free weekend. About 30% of the games I join have hackers ruining it for everyone. When I do finally get to play, it doesn't even feel good. The guns are like pea shooters. This game sucks.

I had the urge to play this today since not playing for 8 months or something. What hacks should I look out for?

Grinchy

Banned
I had the urge to play this today since not playing for 8 months or something. What hacks should I look out for?

There were these guys who could shoot and see everyone through walls, so like I'd just die as soon as I spawned. Also they could change the game speed so we were all running around in warp drive. They may have had infinite ammo and stuff too. I joined one game where I was on the hacker team, and they were just having a lot of fun ruining it for everyone else.

I got my brother to download it too, and he played 4 games. Two of them had people cheating. I don't know if it's just that prevalent or if we were just that unlucky. I've never deleted a free 17GB download so fast.

VariantX

Mission should have been number 1. I'm ok with Dome though, it's a great map.

Terminal can go die in a fire though.

Seriously, its like they don't play test this stuff before sending it out to the public. Anyone who some how manages to wriggle their way out of A gets will likely be picked off by a killstreak then a few minutes in, it gets impossible due to the spawn trappers getting MOAB's.

netBuff

If you recently joined CoD Elite, you, flat out, made a mistake - some of the DLC packs were on sale some time ago (making their combined cost cheaper than the price of the season pass), and Elite won't get you anything for Black Ops 2.

And you keep your DLC even if you let your Elite sub lapse. DLC does not disable itself.
With the release of a new CoD, the previous games DLC basically becomes worthless. This really isn't much to sweeten a bad deal.

Yes and Yes. It's not a game season thing. If you signed up for a year, you get it for a year.

This discussion happened a couple months ago.

If u sign up for Modern Warfare 3 Elite now, you get all the dlcs. It's just like a season pass.
You receive a year of Modern Warfare 3 Elite subscription, which comes with Elite TV, operations, clans etc...

You'll need to purchase Black Ops 2 Elite for the dlc in that game. Again, it's like a season pass...you save $10 for putting down your money early.

In conclusion, buying MW3 elite only gets you MW3 content and you'll have to spend money on a B02 subscription if you plan on getting the content in that game. It's the same thing as getting a season pass for 2 different games.

USF

In conclusion, buying MW3 elite only gets you MW3 content and you'll have to spend money on a B02 subscription if you plan on getting the content in that game. It's the same thing as getting a season pass for 2 different games.

How certain are you with this. I'm lost now.

Top Bottom