• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can anyone recommend games from the 80s that are masterpieces and hidden gems?

PeteBull

Gold Member
Would really love to find some obscure games (japanese famicom games [with translations] PC engine titles/arcade gems). So far I have this on my to play list:

1. Snatcher
  2. The New Zealand Story
  3. Rygar
  4. GetsuFumaDen
Currently playing Zelda II Redux (hack) and it's actually fun and addicting.
I know u said from the 80s but thats a nes game, even tho from 93
I hereby introduce u to best classic 8-bit console soccer game, in japan known as

In many other parts of the world it was called goal 3 :p

I know u said from the 80s but thats a nes game, even tho from 93
I hereby introduce u to best classic 8-bit console soccer game, in japan known as

In many other parts of the world it was called goal 3 :p

Wow nice detail on the weather effects and the way the ball breaks through the net is cool! Gonna try this for sure!

Capcom's Black Tiger (arcade). It would have be been more famous today if it got console ports, but it never happened (A NES port was canned). It did get ports on the micros so it's probably better known in Europe as a result.

If you play the NES version of Rygar? Try the original arcade which is a very different game.

I would also recommend the Goemon series on SNES. There are fan translations for all of them so you don't need to play the 90's localized version. The games have some of Konami's best art for the time. There's a memorable arcade mini-game in there, a huge surprise when I played the "legend of the mystical ninja" version back in the days.
The sequels mix it up, #2 is a straight-up platformer.

Black Tiger (arcade) looks incredible and definitely my stye of game. And I agree about Goemon I miss that japanese artstyle kinda reminds me of Pocky and Rocky. Tried Goemon 64 earlier this year and was actually pretty fun I gotta play the Nes/Snes 2d games based on the art alone thanks!

Lokaum D+

my god, first page and no Altered Beast ? and u guys call yourselves gamers ?

Embarrassed Shame GIF

2016-01-25-altered-beast-genesis.jpg
22724_front.jpg

IRfdq6c.jpeg
wEtsPUw.png
qN8IZ00.png

as i say earlier, i will add my list
I recall another one, people who like gradius might relate, this game is quite fun as well.
it's strategy game from konami, lil bit unusual for konami tho.
My limited brain can't handle the complexity of strategy games lol they are too difficult for me. But I will say that is one of the dopest covers of a video game I've seen! Legend of the Galactic Heroes + Macross! And it seems to be related to the Gradius universe hmmm very interesting maybe I'll give it a try.

nikos

Probably not a hidden gem. I have no clue why, but this is the first game that came to mind:

Then these:

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Haven't seen this one mentioned in anyone's lists yet. Some good ones put up so far tho.

Was going to say Crystalis too since it's my favorite NES game (so it fits the "masterpiece" moniker) but it came out in 1990.

AndrewRyan

Paradroid and Forbidden Forest for the c64. ChatGPT helped me remember the name. One I couldn't remember was this obscure game for the Apple Newton where you build molecules by connecting atoms based on their bond type.

Sethbacca

Most of the games in this thread are the exact opposite of obscure.
With the NES catalog it's hard to know what's obscure and what's not because while I lived it as it came out, someone else may be decades younger just getting into it. Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, etc titles I would expect almost everyone to be familiar with, but some of the more mid tier dev titles could go either way depending who you ask.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Some of these are from the early 90s, but still the same era of games.

s-l600.jpg

Ghouls N Ghosts on Genesis is one of the best action platformer games ever made. It would get my vote for best in the series. I don't usually see it mentioned among the best games on the platform and it totally deserves to be.

Bonk%27s_Revenge_cover.jpg

This came out in '91, but it's close enough to the 80s I suppose. One of the great platformers of the era that's been forgotten over time.

Megaman6_box.jpg

This is imo the 2nd best Mega Man game on NES, behind 2. It came out all the way in '93, a month before Mega Man X.

Ninja_Gaiden_Shadow_Coverart.png

Better than it has any right to be. Looks, sounds, and plays great for a handheld adaption of the series.

Comfortgel

Some deep cuts I haven't seen mentioned yet :

80's -
Bruce Lee (Atari 800)

Necromancer (Atari 800)

Gateway to Apshai (Colecovision)

Robowarrior (NES/Famicom)

The Legendary Axe (PC-Engine/TurboGrafx)

And then some 90's gems:

Blackthorne (32X/SNES)

Splatterhouse (PC-Engine/Turbografx)

Ristar (Megadrive/Genesis)

Burn : Cycle (CD-i)

CGNoire

80's -
Bruce Lee (Atari 800)

Necromancer (Atari 800)

And then some 90's gems:

Blackthorne (32X/SNES)

32x Blackthorne looks like dogshit. Snes on dos are the only good versions visually.

digdug2

80's -
Bruce Lee (Atari 800)

Necromancer (Atari 800)

And then some 90's gems:

Blackthorne (32X/SNES)

Most of these games are perfect recommendations. I absolutely loved Ristar as a kid, and to this day I don't feel that it got the appreciation that it deserves. It's a Sonic Team game, but it never received the acclaim or attention that the Sonic series garnered. The colorful graphics, excellent soundtrack, and fun gameplay make it a worthy addition to the masterpiece and hidden gem list.

Dev1lXYZ

Gun-Nac (NES) A Compile shmup on NES that I never paid attention to until decades later. Long stages, excellent weapons, decent music.

The Guardian Legend (NES) A Compile Shmup/RPG that was very overlooked back in the day. Could be easily mastered in a rental window and was very replayable.

The Karate Kid (NES) A fantastic action game based around the first two films. It starts at the tournament at the end of KK1 and mostly takes place in Okinawa. Once mastered, you can fly through it on a whim. It was made before the MEH third movie. In my head cannon, Daniel stayed in Japan with the hot Japanese girl. 😂

Jaws (NES) Easy to learn, short and to the point. Jaws and KK were both organic within my friends circle. One of my friends got it and we played it so much that we all bought copies. It’s loosely based on Jaws:The Revenge. The end sequence involves you shocking Jaws out of the water and then skewering it on the front of the boat, then seeing his headless body sink into the depths. The ending theme is pretty good too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Willow on the NES

I played through this pretty recently and concur, it's still great. Some of the bosses were a bit cheesy and/or bullshit, but otherwise this game holds up incredibly well by modern standards. Modern emulation takes care of a lot of the issues the game had, like no battery saves (it still uses passwords, and LONG ones!). I'd argue that the game having Retro Achievement support also increased my personal enjoyment of replaying it

Which means yes, it's time for me to plug Retro Achievements once again! PrefectAboro PrefectAboro , if you haven't checked this site out yet and are into retro gaming (which you obviously are) be sure to give it a go. Very easy to set up and makes playing (or replaying) retro games a lot of fun.

With the NES catalog it's hard to know what's obscure and what's not because while I lived it as it came out, someone else may be decades younger just getting into it.

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's obscure. Some of these are literally the most well known games of that era.

Bonk%27s_Revenge_cover.jpg

This came out in '91, but it's close enough to the 80s I suppose. One of the great platformers of the era that's been forgotten over time.
I just beat Bonk's Revenge last week for the first time! I admit I had to use cheats at the end cuz I was so frustrated with the controls. Bonk controls very clunky he can't run, and attacking enemies requires PIXEL PERFECT hit detection which drove me insane. The musical motif that played whenever you defeated a boss was awesome though!

digdug2

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's obscure. Some of these are literally the most well known games of that era.
You're being pedantic at this point. Obscure or not, these are old games that the OP may not know about so this topic has a bunch of people being positive and talking about some of their old favorites. Well, everyone except you.

The Karate Kid (NES) A fantastic action game based around the first two films. It starts at the tournament at the end of KK1 and mostly takes place in Okinawa. Once mastered, you can fly through it on a whim. It was made before the MEH third movie. In my head cannon, Daniel stayed in Japan with the hot Japanese girl. 😂
One of my blind buys as a kid in the 80s. I have so much fond memories of beating this gem constantly. The ice block breaking challenges, catching the flies with chopsticks, the music, the tournaments, doing crane kicks in a middle of a typhoon with heavy rain and lightning in the background! EPIC!! I'm gonna replay this man loved it so much!

digdug2

One of my blind buys as a kid in the 80s. I have so much fond memories of beating this gem constantly. The ice block breaking challenges, catching the flies with chopsticks, the music, the tournaments, doing crane kicks in a middle of a typhoon with heavy rain and lightning in the background! EPIC!! I'm gonna replay this man loved it so much!
I rented this one a couple times as a kid. It infuriated me because there were so many homing enemies that I just could not avoid.

I rented this one a couple times as a kid. It infuriated me because there were so many homing enemies that I just could not avoid.
LOL that's so true you got all these enemies left and right constantly bombarding you it's super annoying. And when the enemies bump into you they knock you back too! Like mega man you just gotta keep pushing forward and keep attacking! And use the special moves whenever you are surrounded (drum punch/crane kick). And the unique thing is you can only use special moves when standing still. It had that very essence of martial arts. To calm your mind, stay still when chaos was surrounding you, and use the special attacks to defeat them.

Sethbacca

Right, but to be clear, my point was that just because many of us think they're well known because we grew up with them it doesn't mean everyone knows about them.

digdug2

LOL that's so true you got all these enemies left and right constantly bombarding you it's super annoying. And when the enemies bump into you they knock you back too! Like mega man you just gotta keep pushing forward and keep attacking! And use the special moves whenever you are surrounded (drum punch/crane kick). And the unique thing is you can only use special moves when standing still. It had that very essence of martial arts. To calm your mind, stay still when chaos was surrounding you, and use the special attacks to defeat them.
You weren't kidding, you had this game down! Haha. Just like in Castlevania, that knock back was awful and would always lead to falling into a pit! It's almost as if they were magnetic.

King Dazzar

My fondest memories are with Mike Singletons: The Lords Of Midnight and Doom Darks Revenge. They took over my life for 2 or 3 years. Amazingly immersive open world fantasy strategy, with RPG vibe to them. Ahead of their time. Magical.

Edit: ZX Spectrum & Commodore 64.

Last edited:

Valonquar

Lotta 90's games up in there.... All good games tho!
Harder to find obscure ones too.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

LJN was notorious back then for their licensed games being awful, but they had some true gems scattered amongst their releases. I’ve always had a fascination with their Friday the 13th release on NES. That game was very hard, but also had this amazing take on the license. I never owned it, but my best friend did and brought it over all the time. I need to play it again.

Another LJN gem is Nightmare on Elm Street. Back in the day, they advertised that you were going to be Freddy himself. When the game finally came out, we were so disappointed because that wasn’t the case. Nonetheless, it has a very neat set of gameplay mechanics and the boss fights against Freddy are nice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom